Surrounded By Poison Ivy!!!

Over the winter, I placed this cache in a wooded area near a park. At the time, it seemed like a nice 'out of the way' place for a cache. I knew that the location would be thorny and over grown by scrub plants by summer. What I didn't count on is the massive amount of Poison Ivy almost completly surronding the cache area.

I have noted the PI in the cache description so hopefully people will notice. Should I leave this cache so people can decide on their own if they want to visit or not? Maybe, raise the cache difficulty level based on the massive amount of PI. Or disable it and move to another location?

I'm with Renegade Knight on this one, for sure. A lot of PI is probably preferable. At least there is no chance of it not being noticed.

As a sidebar, I noticed that Reader's Digest was touting a new cream that prevents poison ivy, oak and sumac oils from penetrating through it and into the skin. More information to follow, as soon as I dig out that issue.

I've noticed a lot of log descriptions around here have mentioned a warning about a lot of PI, but when I get to the caches, they were covered with Virginia Creeper which looks similar to PI. I've only been to one cache that warned of PI that actually had PI. Could it be something else? Anyway, if it is PI, I would still leave it where it is. It's duly noted in the description after all. If it gets to the point where no cachers are willing to find it, then you can always move it then. At least it's not snakes :blink: ...

:ph34r: happy caching :D

I've noticed a lot of log descriptions around here have mentioned a warning about a lot of PI, but when I get to the caches, they were covered with Virginia Creeper which looks similar to PI.  I've only been to one cache that warned of PI that actually had PI.  Could it be something else?  Anyway, if it is PI, I would still leave it where it is.  It's duly noted in the description after all.  If it gets to the point where no cachers are willing to find it, then you can always move it then.  At least it's not snakes :ph34r: ...

:D happy caching :D

Okay, now you are going to force me to take pictures of the PI and post it here to prove the validity. :blink: Thats okay, I'm always looking for an opportunity to use my new digital camera ... :lol: hold on, I'll go take the pictures and be right back ...

Okay, I'm back. I was able to capture over 60 pictures of P.I. near the ache site. The first photo is a close-up of P.I. Remember 'leaves of three, let it be'

f741adba-e987-40c3-bb4b-6f1d8b88abbd.jpg

This is a shot of Virgina Creeper which is a harmless plant.

39841cda-94fc-41bd-8a31-20c0b6498690.jpg

This is a great shot of P.I. (on the left) and V.C. (on the right).

3a6f9ece-5059-435a-a143-360c9482961c.jpg

Here is a bunch of P.I. near the cache site ...

150e2111-dfa8-4ae8-958a-a72b311b8348.jpg

This is a shot of the berries that grow on the Poison Ivy plant. many different animals depend on this fruit for food.

d6d262e2-5ea8-472a-9b21-76a1fab30cd8.jpg

This is the entrance to Poison Ivy hell ...

cd34ac94-3e1e-40e2-9983-eba014f1a3e4.jpg

The end.

Edited by clearpath

OMG :blink: I can't believe there are animals that eat PI! I don't want to run into any animal that can eat PI and live. You must not be allergic to PI, clearpath. I don't know many people that would be willing to get that close to it. I don't know how people can get the two mixed up, but they certainly do in my parts. Great pics by the way; I hope you enjoy your new camera.

I recently went to check on a cache of mine and a couple of days later found I had a raging case of poison oak. So I moved my cache - I ventured back up there armed with multiple garbage bags around my arms and legs. I didn't want to expose anyone else to poison oak hell! But in my case, there were nearby areas which were poison oak free, so aside from re-exposing myself it wasn't too difficult to move it.

I've tried both Ivy Block, which you put on before exposure, and tec-nu, which you wash with after, and in my case it doesn't make any difference, I still get poison oak - bad enough to have to take prednisone. Does anyone have success with them? Just curious...

I've had GREAT luck with Tecnu. Out here in CA, the Posion Oak is raging right now. Last year I got a case bad enough to ALMOST need steroids. Now, I carry Tecnu in the car and haven't had an outbreak since.

There were a few times when I actually remember rubbing against the PO (arms, legs, and even my face once - yes, I wasn't looking where I was going). When I got back to the car, I simply washed off with the Tecnu and have been fine since.

Best of luck.

Should I leave this cache so people can decide on their own if they want to visit or not? Maybe, raise the cache difficulty level based on the massive amount of PI. Or disable it and move to another location?

I would suggest people arrange group hunts in order to seek caches in known poison ivy-infested areas, 'encouraging' the least experienced but most gung-ho member of the troop to 'unwittingly' retrieve the cache.

Okay, I'm back.  I was able to capture over 60 pictures of P.I. near the ache site. The first photo is a close-up of P.I. Remember 'leaves of three, let it be'

Somebody really loves their new digital camera. :blink:

But back to the topic:

I agree with the "up the difficulty and put a note on the cache page" group.

It is then up to the individual cacher to decide whether or not to try for it.

You might also put this link on the cache page, if you can. I don't know how to do that, though.

Surrounded By Poison Ivy!!!, What would you do?

Hmmm...Make a salad? Pull up a bunch for bedding? :ph34r:

I'm not allergic to PI. I walk through it all the time in shorts and sandals. I have actually slept in it.

I recognize that most people would consider this insane. And for those of you who may not be allergic (like me), don't push your luck (like me). I understand that, after years of these types of immunities, our bodies can change almost overnight to accept severe allergic reactions.

Don't push your luck (like me). :D

clearpath: I would leave the cache and ratings as is,

and add a warning to the cache page in red. :blink:

I hid a cache in an area with abundant poison oak. I set a high terrain rating rather than difficulty - now I'm wondering if it should have been the other way round. The PO doesn't really make the cache more difficult to find, though, just more difficult to get to. I'm curious why previous replys have consistently suggested increasing the difficulty rating as opposed to the terrain rating.

Also, I explained the PO issue in the cache description.

I would just look for it. I've found several caches near PI. I'm one of the lucky ones who's not allergic to it. I actually found the first part of a multi a little while back that had PI on the ground and was surrounded by Poison Sumac. The only way to get to the container was to grab the Sumac and work your way down to it.

Excellent pictures! BTW.... have you considered changing the name of the cache to "Poison Ivy Hell" as you stated by one of the pictures?

Anyway, here in Central Texas, most of the wooded areas are full of poison ivy, and other caches have been placed in a thicket of them (to some cacher's dismay). Of the 6 cachers in the family, now the youngest is susceptible to PI.... none of the rest of us are (yet). We just keep a watch for it, and act accordingly. Also, those that cache with dogs, remember that if the dog goes through PI, the oils can brush off on their skin, and then transmit the oil to the human that pats it. You have warned the prospective cachers well, complete with many pictures! PI and ticks and other brush/forest nasties are just part of the risk of outdoor activities. Cache on! :blink:

Malia

Hmmmmm apparently that cache it to elite for me as I'm not a premium member.

Though I do find it amuzing that this cache located in the middle of "Poison Ivy Hell" is only available to premium members <smirk>

Edit: BTW I agree with the above poster those are great pics.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

Provide ample warnings on the page--don't change any ratings.

The roughness of terrain is unaffected by poison ivy. The depth of hide is also unaffected.

The only time I though a cache should be altered based on PI was a new hider who hid it directly in a patch, having crushed leaves placing the container (thereby "oiling" the container).

He fixed it immediately, replaced the container and ended up with a raging case on both arms.

OTOH, I know cachers who refused to log their finds as there was heavy PI at the destination w/no warnings--that's just not nice.

So, simply add warnings as appropriate.

hth,

Randy

as i am someone that can get PI just by touchin a little bit (i almost feel as if i get close to it i get it, even tho that cant happen) i would agree to make a note of it, the dificulty should not be increased, mabe the terrain, but at least post a note.

edit spelling

Edited by rogue_monkey

I've been in the Army 19 years. Neve - not once - have I ever gotten PI.

Even during an absolutly horrid ex, when the entire company got it bad enough to get sent home, there was I still in the woods.

Not everyone is allergic to it. Put it in the notes, and do upgrade the difficulty, but don't move the cache (them that are allergic to PI can go in winter, or wear rubber boots or hope to evolve).

(them that are allergic to PI can go in winter, or wear rubber boots or hope to evolve).

hehehe, I like that line. I used to never get P.I. as a kid then finally at 33 yrs of age I stuck my arm into a mess of it to retrieve an arrow at the bow range and had a bad rash for several weeks. That was the only time I ever had a reaction(go figure), now I'm 41 and have the utmost respect for the plant.

Good idea, Thorin. I just read through all the entries here and found it very educational. The pictures people put here are way better than any field guide I've ever seen to help identify PI, PO, or PS. We would like to see if people have pictures they could post of PO & PS. The Boot Group Mom is allergic to everything except, it seems, PI. The Boot Group Dad is not so lucky. We would not avoid a cache near PI. It's part of the landscape of some caches.

I've been in the Army 19 years. Neve - not once - have I ever gotten PI.

Even during an absolutly horrid ex, when the entire company got it bad enough to get sent home, there was I still in the woods.

Not everyone is allergic to it. Put it in the notes, and do upgrade the difficulty, but don't move the cache (them that are allergic to PI can go in winter, or wear rubber boots or hope to evolve).

Don't ever think that if you are allergic to the stuff that you won't get it in winter. One of the worst cases I ever had of the stuff I contracted in winter by just brushing against the trunk of a vine. All parts of the stinkin' plant carry the oil that causes the reaction. Roots, stems, leaves, all of it. Also to those who wear special clothes into it, please remember that the oil will stay on the clothes after you remove them. Anyone succeptible who handles the clothes can then pick up the oil. Same for a dog who runs through the stuff. if he picks it up on his fur, he can pass it along. Even smoke from burning the stuff has been known to carry the allergin along. Just a mean, nasty weed.

Should be easy to distinguish it from the creeper by counting the leaves.

a small note on the pics posted, PI grows in different ways. bushes small plants, and vines. it also changes colour and berries at different times of the year. somthing to keep in mind.

Very good point. Here is a shot of a P.I. vine ...

08f0f184-fa86-45ac-99ea-01c9a13eda8f.jpg

Here is another P.I. vine picture ...

33dc383c-bdf3-4bbe-bbbe-b599aaca5936.jpg

And here is P.I. as a low growing 'shrub'.

180f28f4-6510-4370-9376-0157a62e54e8.jpg

In parts of Missouri, I have seen P.I. grow up to 10 ft. tall on its own (not a vine) and it looked almost like a small tree. I used to think that the midwest was the 'Poison Ivy Capitol' of the world. Now I know it grows all over North America and beyond.

We do not have Poison Oak or Sumac near us ... according to the Missouri Dept. of Conservation it can be found further south in extreme southern MO counties.

I'm another of those guys thats immune to the stuff. I can wade through it, pick it and handle it. I hav'nt pushed my luck and slept in it yet (that ranks up there with playing catch with a poo filled diaper to test its holding power). The pics posted are definatley PI. Many other plants mimic poison ivy and are often mistaked for it. Virginia creeper, wild strawberry and the common bramble are a few. Play it safe and rely on the Boy Scout ditty. "Leaflets three, let it be. Berries white, poisoness sight."

Heres a few pics of sumac and oak.

Poison Sumac

hdw08069914s.jpg

hdw080699113s.jpg

Poison Oak

fa04087.jpg

I would make sure the warning on the cache page is VERY noticeable and leave the rest up to the cache hunters. PI is part of the game. I hid a few caches this past winter and there were absolutely no mosquitoes or ticks. Now, they're everywhere!!! Go figure. If someone complains just tell them to go inside and play Nintendo.

I have read that the poison oak plant releases more oil when it is "damaged" or disturbed, and it is very easy to make it feel damaged (don't ask me how). It might make sense that the plants around caches would be more hazardous because they have been damaged. Whether or not this theory is true (although I did a fair amount of research when I got my first major rash - it took TWO trips to the doctor to take care of) it does hold that I ALWAYS seem to get "the oak" when I do front country hikes on well used trails (still being very careful of the plant, of course) and never seem to get it when I am hiking in the back country, with even more poison oak around only far, far fewer people to disturb it.

Beware the Oak, it is very evil...although not evil enough to keep me away from it. I can tolerate being a little miserable in exchange for being outdoors in places that are beautiful. I have heard that only 15% of the population is truly "immune" to it, but you can never tell if you truly are until you die and have never had an outbreak. I have also heard a statistic that the number of Native Americans who are immune to PO is believed to be much higher than this. Survival of the fittest, I suppose :)

I would make sure the warning on the cache page is VERY noticeable and leave the rest up to the cache hunters. PI is part of the game. I hid a few caches this past winter and there were absolutely no mosquitoes or ticks. Now, they're everywhere!!! Go figure. If someone complains just tell them to go inside and play Nintendo.

Ticks are everywhere this year. I see log after log mentioning them.

I would add a warning to the cache page, but not increase the difficulty; it's a terrain feature. I'll ditto the suggestion to do so in RED

I was able to capture over 60 pictures of P.I. near the ache site.

Now that is one of the best typos ever, and spell checker won't save you here. :)

I used to never react to PI. A few years ago we put our house on the market so I took the string trimmer along the fence line to clean out the junk. Some nasty vine kept entangling the head. :) I guess if you release that much urishol anyone will react. The insides of my forearms broke out baaad. :)

Now I'm wary but not afraid. I do keep a long sleeved shirt and a bottle of Tecnu in in my pack at all times.

SuzyKayaker reminded me of my promise to post more poison ivy information, though it seems that IvyBlock is a commonly-used preventative among geocachers. Here's some info on Ivyblock and PI:

Only IvyBlock®

CAN PREVENT POISON IVY RASH.

Only IvyBlock is FDA approved.

IvyBlock® is the only Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac protectant that contains the active ingredient bentoquatam.

When applied prior to exposure, IvyBlock will actually protect the skin against the contraction of the rashes associated with Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac.

No prescription required . . . clinically tested for safety and effectiveness.

For maximum protection follow our Poison Ivy Protection Program:

-Recognize and avoid poisonous plants.

-Wear protective clothing.

-Use IvyBlock® lotion as directed.

Buy IvyBlock® In These Stores:

CVS

Drug Emporium

Kinney Drugs

Longs Drugs

Snyders Drug Stores

Stop-n-Shop

SuperValu

Wegmans Food Markets

Your local pharmacist can order it for you too . . .

just ask.

Order IvyBlock® Online:

Amazon.com

Consumer Link

CVS.com

Dermadoctor.com

Dermstore.com

Drugstore.com

Northern Mountain Supply

Poison Oak & Ivy

Safety-products.com

Summit Hut

Travel Country

USA Drugs

Frequently Asked Questions about IvyBlock® Lotion.

How does IvyBlock® lotion protect me from poison ivy, oak, and sumac?

Easily. When applied to the skin prior to contact, the active ingredient in IvyBlock®, bentoquatam, serves as a barrier that blocks the allergenic oil (urushiol) in these poisonous plants from reaching the skin and starting the development of the rash.

Does IvyBlock® lotion require a prescription?

No, IvyBlock® is an over-the-counter (OTC) product and requires no prescription. It is available at drug stores nationwide and safety departments in select companies across the country.

How do you use IvyBlock® lotion and when should it be applied?

Easily. IvyBlock® is applied to the skin before risk of exposure. It should be applied to clean, dry skin at least 15 minutes before exposure risk. Re-application is recommended after 4 hours to maintain the maximum level of protection. Emergency workers who do not wash off IvyBlock do not need to reapply if it is inconvenient.

Is IvyBlock® lotion safe? Will it irritate the skin?

IvyBlock® is very safe and should not irritate the skin. Tests show IvyBlock® is non-irritating and non-sensitizing (non-allergenic). As with any product, individuals should read the directions and ingredients before use. Do not use if you react to any of the ingredients.

Is IvyBlock® lotion a seasonal product?

No, because poison ivy rash is not seasonal. Urushiol, the allergenic substance that causes poison ivy, oak, and sumac rashes, is a very stable chemical and can cause a reaction even during the cold weather months. Poison plants contain urushiol throughout the year and the oil is potent in all seasons. Use of IvyBlock® can be beneficial all year long, especially for very sensitive individuals.

If I wear gloves or protective clothing, do I still need to apply IvyBlock® lotion?

Yes, absolutely. Apply IvyBlock® to skin areas at risk of exposure. This includes secondary contact areas, which can result from transfer of the oil from contaminated clothing, shoes/boots, tools, and pets. For maximize protection, apply IvyBlock® to arms, hands, and legs even when protective clothing is worn.

How frequently should IvyBlock® lotion be reapplied?

IvyBlock® should be applied every four hours to maintain the maximum level of protection. Emergency workers who do not wash off IvyBlock® do not need to reapply if it is inconvenient.

How does the skin feel once IvyBlock® lotion has been applied?

After IvyBlock® lotion dries, the skin will feel natural. The lotion is non-greasy and will not adversely affect the normal skin properties. A faint white coating on the skin will be observed on some people when the lotion dries.

Here's the Facts!

What Is & What Causes Poison Ivy Rash?

Poison ivy, oak and sumac plants are the single most common cause of allergic skin reactions in the United States. They are caused by contact with urushiol (you-Roo-shee-ol), which is found in the sap of the plants. It is a colorless or pale yellow oil that oozes from any cut or crushed part of the plant, including the roots, stems and leaves.

Contact with urushiol can occur in three ways: direct, indirect and airborne particles. Direct contact is touching the sap of the toxic plant, while indirect contact involves touching something which has urushiol on it, such as the animal fur, clothes, garden tools or any items that have come in contact with the plant (including your hands). Airborne urushiol particles, such as burning plants or spray from a weed whacker, may also contact the skin or be inhaled, causing internal inflammation.

Urushiol penetrates the skin within minutes. A reaction appears as a line or streak of a rash, within 12 to 48 hours. Redness and swelling occur, often followed by blisters and severe itching. On an average, the rash takes between 10 days to three weeks to heal.

The rash caused by urushiol can affect almost any part of the body, especially where the skin is thin, such as the face. The rash does not spread, although it may seem to when it breaks out in new areas. Actually, what happens is the urushiol absorbs more slowly into thicker skin, such as forearms, legs and trunk.

IvyBlock® is the only product that can prevent poison ivy, oak or sumac rash. No other product can make that claim. IvyBlock®, is the only product approved by the FDA to prevent the rash caused by poison ivy, oak and sumac.

Who Gets A Rash From Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac?

Each year 10 to 50 million Americans develop an allergic reaction to poison ivy, oak and sumac. Between 75 to 95% of people exposed to urushiol will have an allergic reaction at some point in life.

As a group, poison ivy, oak and sumac are the most common cause of allergic rashes in the United States..

In many areas of the country, poison ivy, oak and sumac are the second leading cause of occupational dermatitis for outdoor workers, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

• Poison oak is responsible for more than 50% of worker’s compensation cases in California alone.

• In California, Oregon and Washington, approximately one-third of United States Forest Service fire fighters are forced to leave during a fire because of rashes caused by poison oak.

According to the National Safety Council, other outdoor occupations severely impacted by poison ivy, oak and sumac include surveyors, park and highway maintenance workers, utility workers and farmers.

Where & When Are Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Plants Found?

Poison ivy, oak and sumac grow almost everywhere in the United States, except Hawaii, Alaska and dessert areas.

• Poison ivy usually grows east of the Rocky Mountains and in Canada.

• Poison oak grows in the Western and Southeastern United States, Canada and Mexico.

• Poison sumac grows in the eastern states and Southern Canada.

How Do Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Plants Appear?

Poison ivy usually grows as a vine twining on tree trunks or straggling over the ground, while poison oak and sumac are both shrubs.

In the early fall, the poison ivy leaves can turn colors such as yellow or red when other plants are still green. The berry-like fruit on the mature female plants also changes color in fall, from green to off-white, and in the winter the plants lose their leaves. In the spring, poison ivy has yellow-green flowers.

While poison ivy has three leaves per cluster, poison oak has five leaves and sumac has seven to thirteen leaves on a branch.

Why You Need To Be Careful?

Once urushiol touches the skin, it begins to penetrate in as little as 10 minutes. In those who are sensitive, a reaction appears usually within 12 to 48 hours.

The rash, which takes 10 days or longer to heal, can affect almost any part of the body, especially where skin is thin, such as the face.

A person cannot receive a rash upon their first exposure to poison ivy. The first contact, which can occur without a person knowing, may create hypersensitivity to the allergen without causing a rash. Therefore, if a person has been around poison ivy before and has not contracted a rash, that does not mean he or she will be immune later.

Exposure to burning ivy is dangerous because it can cause a rash and urushiol droplets can stick to dust or smoke particles and be carried in the wind, causing a sensitive person to develop an internal inflammation from inhaling urushiol.

Footnote:

Once, I was accosted by a know-it-all cacher near a cache surrounded by poison sumac. He said, "Did you know sugar and sumac are the only 2 words in the English language spelled "su" and pronounced "shu?" I said, "Sure!"