Geocache Addiction!!!

Where are you on my unscientific scale of Geocache Addiction?

Level 1: "Adult treasure hunt? Neat!"

Level 2: "This is so cool!!"

Level 3: "If I plan this right I can find ten caches today!"

Level 4: "Are you kids done playing with your Happy Meal toys?"

Level 5: "I was FTF but there were too many muggles about so I TNLNSL"

Level 6: "That looks like a great place to hide a cache!"

Level 7: "I'll be in the tupperware aisle if you need me."

Level 8: "No, I've got other uses for this PDA" or "I really do need a backup GPS."

Level 9: "But a 4x4 with a three inch lift and electric winch is a practical vehicle."

Level 10: "Unngh....bluhh...caches everywhere.....urng...must find....."

How do you identify your own addiction?

I consider myself a "casual cacher." Any major road trips or vacations, I definately get info on local caches but other than that I cache when I can.

I'm a busy guy and I don't get as many opportunities to cache as I'd like, especially during the summer so far. I basically cache when my chores are done. Like today's a perfect day for me to cache and everything's done, so I'm going...

I'd have to say I'm somewhere between a Level 2-Level 3. See, a friend introduced me and my husband to geocaching while he was in town for school. We didn't have our own GPSr at the time, so we'd go out with him on weekends. Then my husband had to go out of town for a few weeks, and I got to continue feeding the caching habit on the weekends with our friend.

Then I decided that I wanted to buy a GPSr, and I *also* wanted to go visit my family in Florida. So I started looking into all the great caches located in my hometown, on the way home from the airport, around the places my family members work, etc. It became quite the obsession, that's for sure. And I bought a Legend, which showed up on my doorstep a week before my trip.

My husband came home from his out-of-town trip in time to see me off and not learn how to use the Legend. I cached as much as I could while at home for a week...which was not much, let me say. I ended up logging, gosh, maybe 4 finds? I was busy almost the whole time anyway. But, I do look forward to the time we move back home and I...I mean, we...can get back out there and cache some more in our hometown.

Now that I'm back in El Paso and we're learning the Legend together, we haven't been out to do any caching. Most of the good ones are hidden away in the mountains, and the terrain is too difficult for me, at 7 months pregnant, to navigate. My husband isn't quite to the level of obsession that I am, so I'm going to get pretty frustrated here soon!

Paula :blink:

BTDT

BTDT

26 but I have high hopes on a future Utah raid.
Gack! I would't do that to a cache.
I've been first to a cache but didn't even log due to muggles.
24/7
Can't drive by a military surpluss store anymore. Actually I never could...
Level 8: "No, I've got other uses for this PDA" or "I really do need a backup GPS."
I do have other uses for a PDA...
Level 9: "But a 4x4 with a three inch lift and electric winch is a practical vehicle."
I bought another 4x4 for geocaching while my project 4x4 languishes due to a lack of funds that were sucked up by geo gear.
Once upon a time, but then I moved and then stats died and others passed me up in my state. So I had to give it up.

Edit: Took up the slack.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I guess I'm at a 6-8 and 10 level of addiction, because I don't have a 4x4 (my geogear fits in my coupe). I love the find so much, that I still haven't even placed one yet :ph34r: , although I have consulted on a couple of hides.

All of the people to try an Intervention for me have turned into cachers themselves. Ha! I showed them! :blink: Now they are addicted too! Nanny nanny boo boo :D:D ...

Happy caching folks!

I'm between levels 6 and 7 (Level 6: "That looks like a great place to hide a cache!" and Level 7: "I'll be in the tupperware aisle if you need me.").

I find myself looking at rock formations while hiking, saying to myself, "what a cool spot to hide a cache". Often when I drive past a large wooded area, I go home to check and see if it has caches and if its public land.

I also can't look at a container of any kind without judging its suitability as a cache container.

1. Have you missed classes or work because of geocaching? Duh

2.Do you have trouble refusing geocaching?

Tell me about a new cache and thats where you will find me.

3. Do you need geocaching in order to have fun at a party?

4. Do you use geocaching to build up your self-confidence? not me, never

5. Do you use geocaching to help you relax? That's why I got into it but now it can drive me crazy.

6. Have you tried to give up geocaching and failed? why/

7. Do you crave geocaching as soon as you wake up? who me

8. Do you get into trouble because of geocaching? and the cop says, what are you two doing in the bushes?

9. Do you crave geocaching at a definite time daily?

10. Do you lie to others about how often you partake in geocaching? where have you been all day? NOwhere.

11. Have you gotten into financial difficulties because of geocaching? not yet

12. Do you often wish people would just mind their own business about you and geocaching? now that is just so true, tell all of the muggles to just leave me alone, I can handle this just fine all by myself

If you answer yes to three or more you may have a problem, guess I have a problem, it's all CYBret's fault, if he hadn't shown me the site I wouldn't know I had a problem.

We went to the Motor Show Live yesterday at the NEC Birmingham UK and there were a few GPS stalls. I casually brezzed around and then asked "is any of this suitable for Geocaching?" If they said yes then i just said thanks and left if they said no i was trying to teach them and even wrote down the website address for them! I tell everyone about it! Whats our level? :rolleyes:

Well, since this has gotten bumped/restarted, I mought as well answer.... will preface by saying I'm a relative noob, having been at it for about 2 months, and at the 60-cache level.

That was day one, when my S.O. called me from the aisles of Walmart - where he was GPS-shopping after having found the website - and said "Hey, are you on the computer? Go to geocaching.com and check it out!".

Also day one, and even more so about a week later when my S.O., his son, and I went out on a run of fairly easy urban caches. (Aside from S A M's "Post 15", which took him 3 tries, and I haven't gotten back to yet.) I went on eBay the next day and found myself an inexpensive Etrex.

Hmm, well.... sort of. I tend to be more in the 2-5 range, since I've found that my preference is for caches in parks that require at least some walking or hiking, and/or I combine urban caches with necessary shopping trips, etc.

As another poster said, I wouldn't do that to a cache. Besides, my S.O.'s kids (who have also gotten into caching) are young teens.

Have only tried for one FTF, and aborted the search relatively quickly (it's some sort of camo nano) because the hide spot was right next to somebody's back yard, and I couldn't tell where public property stopped and private started. It still hasn't been found, incidentally, and there are no other DNF logs.

Wouldn't call that a stage; that mindset hit after the first day of caching. However, I DID have the sense to refrain from starting to spew caches around, and to realize I should get more experience before trying any hides. (I do "own" a cache, but it's one that I adopted because it happens to be 3 miles from my S.O.'s house on trails where I routinely walk my dogs.)

I don't seek out containers (and I don't think real Tupperware is sold in stores :D ), but I DID pick up some waterproof containers off of eBay that happened to pop up when I was looking for mapping software for my Garmin. Haven't used any of them yet, but I'll get around to it.

Nope. Although I am considering picking up a cheap used PDA for paperless caching.

Nope, and it won't ever happen, since I need the vehicle I've got for my OTHER sport/addiction (NADAC dog agility).

Umm, well.... I've had days like that. :D

Edited by cimawr

Here's a cache in Utah for all of you lost causes to consider:

GCJX07

I'd rate my addition level at about a 6. I skipped studying for a midterm to go cache. Then when I got out of the midterm early, I promptly went and found some more caches. I've been caching for 4 1/2 months, soon to be 150 caches.

Addicted?

You be the judge: We upgraded to a more expensive PDA so it was compatible with MobiPocket Reader, traded a Ford Crown Victoria for a Jeep Cherokee and have planned a backpacking/camping trip for this weekend in order to find a cache that we have 2 DNFs and 12 hours of hiking invested in. (It's not uncommon to have frost overnight in our area this time of year.)

Addicted? :D Maybe.

Level 7-8 for me. Most recent was my purchase of a Palm T/X and Garmin GPSMAP 60csx, both almost exclusively for use with geocaching. The 60csx was a night-and-day upgrade from my eTrex Legend. The Palm sees no real use other than to run CacheMate.

Funny thing was for a long time I was very much a PDA user -- I was a Handspring Visor early adopter, then switched to a several models of Sony CLIE... but nowadays I've never bothered, and sold my PDA's. I even bought a Palm Tungsten E2 a while back but returned it because it was mostly sitting unused.

But now the T/X is getting used very frequently...

I'm in the 7 range. Like briansnat, if I spot a prime area I write the location down and check to see if its public and free of caches.

Vinny Sue - you say you're casual about caching but you've found more than 1000 caches in a year and a half. That's fervent, not casual! :D

I think I am a level 5 maybe. :D

Level 11: You take the 5th wheel trailer, towed by the lifted 4X4 mentioned in level 8, and hide 6 caches in a state park and invite all your kid's friends to a "Geocaching birthday party"

Edited by disenchanted

I think i would be at level 6 on this scale. However we even started a company with geocaching as mainproduct, organized my first event in our first geocaching year, wrote a 80 pages booklet in dutch for starting geocachers and many more things like this so sometimes i feel like a complete geocaching lunatic.

Greetz Kapitein Haak.

Level 11: You take the 5th wheel trailer, towed by the lifted 4X4 mentioned in level 8, and hide 6 caches in a state park and invite all your kid's friends to a "Geocaching birthday party"

Quite understandable! For my son's high school graduation we bought him a digital camera. His mother got him an Etrex Legend. I set up a long multi that took him all over town, only to lead him back to find the camera under his bed!

We're a good solid 8. No other use for the PDA (although my wife has used it once for a shopping list), think about placing caches everywhere, have to cruise by the lock n locks everytime I'm at Wal-Mart (even if I have a bunch unused at home). Caching went past the "this is cool" stage for us pretty quick. I'm probably obsessed, the wife and kids just love it. :o

I must be at level 9. My wife just bought me a 60Cx to replace my 60Cs because I was complaining about losing signal in heavy cover.

I just bought a new Xterra Off Road as my caching vehicle. Won't need the 3" lift though. Kids are having a tough time getting in the back seat as it is because of the truck height. It is higher off the ground then RK's Gimmy with 32" tires.

:o

Level 1: "Adult treasure hunt? Neat!" Way back when- September of 2003 after reading a newspaper article.

Level 2: "This is so cool!!" March 19, 2006 when we ACTUALLY started geocaching WITHOUT a GPSr.

Level 3: "If I plan this right I can find ten caches today!" Only 10?!?

Level 4: "Are you kids done playing with your Happy Meal toys?" Try not to, but if they're duplicates in the bag, MAYBE.

Level 5: "I was FTF but there were too many muggles about so I TNLNSL" FTF is SOooo sweet! Too bad I don't have WiFi and a PDA like my buddy Snurt!

Level 6: "That looks like a great place to hide a cache!" ALWAYS! Have even found one or two caches before they were published this way.

Level 7: "I'll be in the tupperware aisle if you need me." Lock And Lock! Lock And Lock! or AMMO CANS!!!

Level 8: "No, I've got other uses for this PDA" or "I really do need a backup GPS." Three GPSrs in eighteen months and looking at upgrading early next year before our cruise!

Level 9: "But a 4x4 with a three inch lift and electric winch is a practical vehicle." Not Yet, but we will be looking at the end of the year.

Level 10: "Unngh....bluhh...caches everywhere.....urng...must find....." If it doesn't have a check mark beside it then it's fair game! INCLUDING all of Vinny and Sue Team's Psycho Urban Caches!!!! LOVE 'EM!!!

Psycho Urban Cache #13 ROCKS!!! (Shameless plug for a friends cache!!!)

How do you identify your own addiction? All of the above, but I could quit whenever I WANT to. I just don't want to YET!!!

1. Have you missed classes or work because of geocaching? YEP!! "Hey boss, since this order is done and since we're kind of slow today, can I take off early?

2.Do you have trouble refusing geocaching? Isn't this why they came up with the Instant Notify feature?!?

3. Do you need geocaching in order to have fun at a party? I like this idea!

4. Do you use geocaching to build up your self-confidence? Only among my geocaching buddies! TEAM PSYCHO RULES!!!!

5. Do you use geocaching to help you relax? Try this with a well hidden micro and see how fast your blood pressure spikes!

6. Have you tried to give up geocaching and failed? I can quit ANYTIME! (YEAH RIGHT!)

7. Do you crave geocaching as soon as you wake up? BTDT

8. Do you get into trouble because of geocaching? Not yet!

9. Do you crave geocaching at a definite time daily? Computer goes on first thing after I walk in the door from work!

10. Do you lie to others about how often you partake in geocaching? No need, they all recognize the sickness!

11. Have you gotten into financial difficulties because of geocaching? DARN IT! I have to fill the gas tank AGAIN!!!!

12. Do you often wish people would just mind their own business about you and geocaching? No problems yet, in fact I think a few people may have started geocaching bacause of me.

If you answer yes to three or more you may have a problem, guess I have a problem, it's all CYBret's fault, if he hadn't shown me the site I wouldn't know I had a problem.

I fall between a score of 1 and 2 on your scale; I am very casual about geocaching. However, my wife Sue likely scores a 25 on your scale of 1 to 10; she is addicted to it.

VINNY! VINNY! VINNY! Do I need to tell them how much you spent on your last cache?!? :o

I can't wait for PUC#14! BRING IT ON!!