Cache Haters

bushi

I've read from time to time about caches being destroyed by non-cachers. I was wondering if anyone has any stories about incidents of massive cache destruction. A possible scenerio being someone that, for what ever reason, takes it upon themselves to rid an area of all known caches. And if so, ever run into the perp in that process of destroying a cache?

There used to be a mystery cache trasher in the area I live. They would remove the cache itself, just empty it of everything and leave this little laminted sheet saying that they had been there. Luckily they have stopped now.

MarcB

I've read from time to time about caches being destroyed by non-cachers.  I was wondering if anyone has any stories about incidents of massive cache destruction.  A possible scenerio being someone that, for what ever reason, takes it upon themselves to rid an area of all known caches.  And if so, ever run into the perp in that process of destroying a cache?

I'm very new to this.  My second find was The Lompoc Goodie Box, which had very recently been trashed.  The box and its lid were left near the original location, with its contents scattered about and ruined.  The log book was actually left on top of the lid, in a manner suggesting that the vandal wanted it to be found.  Many very rude messages and images had been left in the log book, in pink ink.

I repaired things as well as I could, and have notified the owner.

:bad: I have/had (to be replaced) one in a county park in a rock pile. For some reason some muggles seem to think its fine to open it a scatter its contents about. This has happened three times now. Not sure if its the same stinkin' muggle or if other muggles keep finding it. The replacement will be moved a touch and be much harder to find.

:bad: So, what is the mindeset of people that cannot let othersa enjoy a simple harmless game? Opioions gladly accepted. I have my own, can't wait to see if is in line with anyone else's.

Happy caching.

This was posted by a local cacher. Unfortunately it was a book trading cache so it's hard to replace it with a smaller container. Personally I consider it an idle threat and would have been eager to meet the challenge, but it's the unsuspecting cachers that have to go into the area.

==================

I dropped by this cache, around 4pm, with some folks from the Iowa City Press Citizen (they are doing a geocaching article) and I don't have good news to report.

The cache was trashed. It looks like many of the books, and notepad, were dumped out of the ammo can and the ammo can was taken. Also on the ground near the cache was a coupld of empty pop bottles.

The following (censored) note was left in the geocache's notebook:

===begin===

You guys are so F$%^ed up! Thanks for the box of s*.

We're watching you. Stay out of our timber. Think I'm f!@#ing around, try me.

This was posted by a local cacher. Unfortunately it was a book trading cache so it's hard to replace it with a smaller container. Personally I consider it an idle threat and would have been eager to meet the challenge, but it's the unsuspecting cachers that have to go into the area.

Yea I saw that and had similar thoughts.

I figure its some punks 'secret' drinking spot. I'm actually pretty suprized they didn't find beer cans around. I would have got a new box and replaced somewhere nearby (assuming thats possiabe, i never got to find the cache).

Luckily around 'my' area there have been no mass plunderings. A few odd ones going missing, and every spring 2 or 3 disappear, while other logbooks get notes saying things like "found this box thing while looking for morels"... correlation? :D

while looking for morels"... correlation?

Considering the time of year for this one, yeah I figured it was a mushroom hunter. I never thought they could get so uptight about such things.

---------------------

For more on geocaching in Eastern Iowa, visit Welch's post

Cachers that have had a cache-raiding problem...

How did you resolve it?

Or has it been resolved? If it's people finding the locations thru

geocaching.com, did you contact Admn. for help or suggestions

on how to isolate this person from accesing the website?

Just curious if there are any success stories.

We saw a Cache here in Washington one time to find it had been "Pirated." Everything but the container and the log book was gone. The person had written in the log bok that he was holding it for ransom and signed "Pirate." It was a real disappointment and really made us all made at the person who did this. Why would they take something like that? There's rarely anything of real value in them and he shoulda just taken that if it was a big deal. Instead, he ruined it for all of us!

:mad:

My geocaching mate, Miaka, and I went to pick up two she had already gotten but I hadn't last Tuesday.

As we got near where the cache should be we see an almost new roll of toilet paper nad the ammo box together. As we get closer we begin to smell an awful smell.

This #)(*%)$(*%)$(*% had discovered the cache, wrote a note, opened all the bags, plundered the cache and then left his "surprise" for us.

It was so nasty!!! Miaka took the ammo box attempted to air out the log book as well as a puzzle book tb. It was a no go.

This guy even opened all the bags in the ammo box so that everything would smell. We believe he also stole one of the tbs. Only reason he didn't take the remaining one, we believe, is he didn't realize it had a tag attached to it.

Probably the grossest thing I've ever seen or smelled.

We wished lots of ticks and the runs for many, many weeks on this person.

Hope that's my one and only time having to experience that.

recently ( I believe it was June) one of the better cachies in my area, Pratum, It is assumed that it was pirated by one of a group of teenage boys that play paintball in the park where the cache is located. they left everything behind and took the ammo canb. Hmmm...what some peolpe consider of value, huh?

We had our ammo can taken and replaced with "very bright fire-engine coffee can"

Whoever took it must be such jerks

Now maybe this one is a two parter. The ammo can was taken and the next cacher found the remains and all they had to put it back together was a coffee container. Maybe it was a positive. We have a cache theif here who seems to hit a lot in one week and then nothing for about a month and then strikes again at about five or six.

I had my cache vandalised by punks here is a link stolen!!

They dumped all of the "kiddie toys" out and found a book on cassette tape and wraped all the black tape over the bushes.

They took the ammo box with all the goodies punks!

I hate it when the cachie's get vandalised.

Edited by nick_02

Yes, I do believe that happened this last weekend during our Fall Fest event down at Robber's Cave State Park.

We were in charge of the kids cache event "Rowdy Billy and Slim Face Lilly" and we placed twelve caches a long a very long trail. Our ten year old daughter was in charge of finding just the right spot for the cache containers.

Well, my husband checked on all 12 caches (took about an hours - the trail was a mile long from entrance to the last cache) at 9a.m. - the event started at noon. The parents and kids headed out immediately. We kept getting call after call on our 2 way radios about where is this cache and what does it look like. Well, after searching and searching, someone took four of our 12 caches. Three camo coffe cans and one ammo can.

Some people are such idiots.

The kids had a good time anyway and really enjoyed the loot they did find. I just have to say shame on those folks that took those caches. They took away from the kids.

GeoGryffindor

I (luckily) have not had this problem, but here's an idea...Take a cache that seems to be regularly plundered...Try to come up with a time frame (every saturday, for instance) that this happens. Lay in wait on the predicted day, then...jump out and wang 'em on the head with the ammo can!! "Tried to take ammo can, Left bits of skull"

...here's an idea...take a cache that seems to be regularly plundered...try to come up with a time frame (every saturday, for instance) that this happens. Lay in wait on the predicted day, then...jump out and wang 'em on the head with the ammo can!! "Tried to take ammo can, Left bits of skull"

B)B):P:laughing::ph34r::lol::PB)B)B)

• Funny 1

We have had too many go missing in Shawnee National Forest, IL for it to be a coincidence. Here is the entire story from where I posted on a local forum:

"I have had three caches go missing in the last few weeks; Sand Cave

(GCK82Y), Crow Knob (GCKT02) and Buffalo Rock (GCM3ZB). They are not

in high traffic areas or near any homes where kids would play and

find them. I thought that Buffalo Rock and Crow knob could have been

stumbled across by hunters, however, Sand Cave was hidden very well

in the boulders, requiring two cachers to hunt for an hour each to

find the cache. Therefore I am afraid someone has purposefully gone

after these caches to steal them. I did not replace Crow Knob or

Sand Cave caches after I discovered Sand Cave was gone.

I am going to post a question on my cache pages asking if someone is

purposefully taking my caches, If they have a problem with me or a

problem with where I place my caches. I also wanted to post the

questions here in case someone that is watching the forum knows

anything about the caches and would please contact me so we can get

any problems resolved.

Myotis has had about 8 caches taken; (GC2C4C), (GCA460), (GC36BF), (GC230C), (GC2308), (GC230D), he has to continually replace ET Rock(GC2309) and Burden Falls(GC18A9) was taken several times before he archived it. RAYJAY also had a cache at Burden Fall(GCKER9) go missing recently and another at Jackson Falls(GCKERF). Tunnel Cache(GC29E7) near Jackson Falls was also taken. Aquasleuth has had 6 other caches disappear this year;(GC3309), (GC330A), (GC3071), (GC3079), (GC3077), (GC3081). Lewy had his Cedar Creek(GCK1QC) cache taken which is in the same general area as my Buffalo Rock Cache and Dreicat had one taken from Near One Horse Gap(GCH6ZH).

Happy (not so much right now!!!) Caching

GEO.JOE"

I have not been contacted by anyone yet but I hope the person responsible would contact me so we could try to understand each other.

Hmmm...

I believe if I were having my caches getting trashed/stolen, I'd be inclined to leave a message in the replacement stating, "Congratulations! You've found the cache! In lieu of leaving a disposable camera in this cache so that you could take your picture, I've instead placed a GameTrakker camera in a hidden location and your picture has already been taken. I hope you were smiling!" :D

• Funny 1

Not saying that this is the answer to any of these instances... but I've known a park ranger who really disliked them and would take them. He would check the site for any new caches in his district then nab them... He said he tried to nab one of ours but it was hidden so well he couldn't find it. He had nabbed two others recently, so we archived ours. I don't think he works in our area anymore, for new caches have been placed there and are doing great.

But it's always a possilbility... :D

Edited by Trekin Triad
Not saying that this is the answer to any of these instances... but I've known a park ranger who really disliked them and would take them. He would check the site for any new caches in his district then nab them... He said he tried to nab one of ours but it was hidden so well he couldn't find it. He had nabbed two others recently, so we archived ours. I don't think he works in our area anymore, for new caches have been placed there and are doing great.

The cache you mention appears to have been on NPS owned land. That agency has an overall caching ban, although some rangers and park units are more diligent than others in going out to retrieve caches. It looks like you had one of the more diligent rangers.

"Tried to take ammo can, Left bits of skull"

There's a different way to do this. There are still flash bulbs available, and they cost about $3 for some real whopping power. If it were me, I would put a flash bulb into an ammo can and rig it to flash when the can is opened. If you don't like a camera strobe going off in front of you, these are much worse!!! No muss, no fuss, and a traumatized cache trasher!

Remember to mark on the can that the cache has been archived, and not to open it, as there is no log book. Put a little seal over the handle, etc. Thus all the geocachers will leave it alone.

In all likelihood, you would only manage to anger or injure some innocent person or animal. Or both. :wub:

And that's why you're smiling about it, right? :laughing:

The US Army has supposedly developed something with an absolutely horrid stench as a deterrent to enemies. How about that in a cache can?

A loud siren might also quicken the heart!

• Funny 1

I think folks give these people far too much attention. The whole point to the behavior is to provoke a reaction - otherwise it's just a lot of work for little or no gain. By denying them what they hunger, they'll eventually get bored and move on. If they're truly diabolical and just like destroying caches, they'll continue doing it with or without attention. So it's probably safe to say that not getting all upset about it (at least not publicly) is a good tactic.

Edit to add: Now if you catch them in the act... a good pummelling is in order! :o

Edited by BuzzKill
  • Helpful 1