Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

I'm certain this topic has been covered, but can't seem to find a concise explanation of how to manage downloaded MapSource data on a 60cs. I've only once downloaded a set of maps from MapSource to my 60cs and want to replace the existing map setwith a new maps.

My specific questions are:

+ How do you determine how much memory remains in a 60cs? Is there a way on MapSource to see which maps are downloaded on the 60cs?

+ How do you delete map data from the 60cs? You can scroll one map datum at a time in map | info, and you can check "show" ... but what does this do? The obvious answer is not to display that datum on the 60cs, but why would you want to do that if it doesn't free up memory?

+ Map Set Name lets you name a set of maps in MapSource. Is the way to load new maps simply by downloading a new Map Set? I.e., the old maps are simply overwritten by the new maps. This would allow you to easily switch back and forth between different Map Sets?

These may be obvious questions, but the user manual leaves much to be desired, and I'm not in the mood for experiments.

Thanks

Hal

+ How do you determine how much memory remains in a 60cs? Is there a way on MapSource to see which maps are downloaded on the 60cs?

56K - the amount used. ^_^

Mapsource will tell you how much is used

+ How do you delete map data from the 60cs?  You can scroll one map datum at a time in map | info, and you can check "show" ... but what does this do?  The obvious answer is not to display that datum on the 60cs, but why would you want to do that if it doesn't free up memory?

You don't. When you upload new maps, they overide whatever was already loaded

When I have both Topo and CitySelect loaded, by default City Select shows and not topo. I have to turn CitySelect off in order to see the TOPO maps.

+ Map Set Name lets you name a set of maps in MapSource.  Is the way to load new maps simply by downloading a new Map Set?  I.e., the old maps are simply overwritten by the new maps.  This would allow you to easily switch back and forth between different Map Sets?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. The name is just so that the GPS has something to display. It defaults to a conglomeration of the map segments you select.

I'm certain this topic has been covered, but can't seem to find a concise explanation of how to manage downloaded MapSource data on a 60cs. I've only once downloaded a set of maps from MapSource to my 60cs and want to replace the existing map setwith a new maps.

My specific questions are:

+ How do you delete map data from the 60cs? You can scroll one map datum at a time in map | info, and you can check "show" ... but what does this do? The obvious answer is not to display that datum on the 60cs, but why would you want to do that if it doesn't free up memory?

+ Map Set Name lets you name a set of maps in MapSource. Is the way to load new maps simply by downloading a new Map Set? I.e., the old maps are simply overwritten by the new maps. This would allow you to easily switch back and forth between different Map Sets?

These may be obvious questions, but the user manual leaves much to be desired, and I'm not in the mood for experiments.

Thanks

Hal

It replace mapset which currently in the unit with a new one.

I've just jumped from a GPS12 to a 60CS. I for the life of me cannot figure out how to manually enter a waypoint. I can do it via EasyGPS, but can someone take pity on me and tell me how to do it manually?

Lisa

Press the "mark" button, then, after you've marked your new waypoint (here), "menu" to edit it; use the paddle to traverse to longitude/latitude and put in your waypoint (if you're in the Garmin). There are other ways of doing it (e.g. from the "Find" menu) too.

Or are you asking how to do it in Mapsource?

Edited by hdtran
edits...

Thanks

Hal

When I create a set of maps for a road trip in Mapsource, I save the whole trip (mps for v5, gdb for v6) with a reasonable name, for example, colotrip.gdb (for colorado trip). So you would have several different mapsource files; colotrip, utahtrip, flatlandtrip, rockytrip, etc.

You could also rename the mapsets (right click on the mapset properties, then, you can turn off auto-naming), but I don't bother, since each trip has its own custom set of maps pre-planned.

When you upload to the 60C(S), just check the button to also upload maps, which overwrites existing map info with the new one.

I have a couple of questions about Maps on the Garmin 60cs. :blink:

1. From the above information, I assume I can not have two different parts of the country loaded in my 60cs if they are from the same Garmin map product which is City Select in my case? The reason I ask this is the comment above about Mapsource overlaying the map in the 60cs with the one being loaded. That was my experience tonight.

2. If I want to have selectable maps loaded in the 60cs, I have to use two different Garmin Map products such as City Select and Topo. Is this correct?

Thank you, wornout

With City Select you can load many locations in the GPSr at the same time. When selecting the mapset you can pick New York City, Seattle, Roswell, NM, then load them into the GPSr. As long as you load them all at once, no problem. When you load a new mapset it will delete the old.

With City Select you can load many locations in the GPSr at the same time. When selecting the mapset you can pick New York City, Seattle, Roswell, NM, then load them into the GPSr. As long as you load them all at once, no problem. When you load a new mapset it will delete the old.

OK, thanks, that is the way I was afraid it was going to work. What I wanted to do was load San Francisco and all the areas half way to Los Angeles as NC and then load the other half of the areas to Los Angeles and load Los Angeles as SC and then just change the selection, in the GPSr, while driving south. Otherwise I have to have my computer with me. These two selections are too big for the 54 megs of memory in the Garmin. Thanks again.

http://members.cox.net/dmbleess/geocache/benchmarks.htm

(work in progress - sample topousa screens soon)

beta 343, no problems

easygps v137 USB transfers up and down no problem

(many navaid icons are mis-named though)

delorme topo usa 5 serial transfers up and down no problem

(right click and save the link target files below per delorme instructions)

Garmin 60C icons for topousa / sa2003 or 2004:

BIG

http://www.neonramp.com/~dbleess/graphics/GPS60C.dim

small

http://www.neonramp.com/~dbleess/graphics/sGPS60C.dim

tusaICONS.jpg

icon installation instructions:

http://www.delorme.com/support/multi/multi...K=&P=11103&C=19

Garmin screen capture, custom (24 user definable) icon creation software:

"ximage"

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.j...ct=010-00322-20

If you have any questions or problems that no one will answer, email me.

Edited by DBleess
I save the GPX file, open it with GSAK, save it in Street Atlas format to the DeLorme Draw folder AND use the option %drop2-%typ1 when exporting. Then import it in SA 2004 product and give it the Icon of your choice.

(Cymbaline snip)

I then use SA 2004 to download the caches into the 60cs. This is where you need the serial to USB adapter. I have used both the Belkin and the Keyspan. You can also load directly to the 60cs from GSAK but I go through SA 2004 so I can see on the SA 2004 map which caches I loaded into the 60cs.

Two questions for you:

1. How do you change the icon in StreetAtlas 2004 from the default red flag to something else? Is it an import option on the Draw tab i'm missing? (Clyde confirmed that it's on the StreetAtlas side, some changes from SA 9 to 2004).

2. I just emailed Delorme support about StreetAtlas 2004 not recognizing the 60CS via USB - you're saying the USB-to-serial adapter is required, right?

Thanks!

From the directions it looks as if you are shown the 'found' screen only after you get close enough to the cache. Is this correct?

Not quite right...the "geocaching screen" shows up anytime you set a GOTO for a waypoint that has the UNFOUND GEOCACHE icon attached to it. It doesn't matter how close you are, but you do have to have "off road" (as the crow flies) navigation activated. The alternative is the "follow road" navigation, but this only works if you have street navigation software enabled.

The way I handle it is that I use the ROAD navigation until my GPS tells me I am "arriving at (cache)" I then hit MENU on the map screen and RECALCULATE. It pops up a window with two options: Off Road and Follow road. I select OFF ROAD and hit ENTER. Then if I go to the compass screen, it shows the arrow, and the three Geocaching fields at the bottom of the screen. From there it works like any old GPS as far as pointing you to the waypoint you have selected. The geocaching features are pretty slick. When you click FOUND from the compass screen, it automatically changes the icon of that cache to a FOUND GEOCACHE icon (a treasure chest with the lid open) and also enters that waypoint in the calendar for that day. Makes it very easy to track your finds on those 20-30 cache/day marathons.

Two questions for you:

1.  How do you change the icon in StreetAtlas 2004 from the default red flag to something else?  Is it an import option on the Draw tab i'm missing?  (Clyde confirmed that it's on the StreetAtlas side, some changes from SA 9 to 2004).

2.  I just emailed Delorme support about StreetAtlas 2004 not recognizing the 60CS via USB - you're saying the USB-to-serial adapter is required, right?

Select the DRAW tab (then click DONE if the file list is open) There will be six buttons on the left side for different draw options. Select the center right one (a flag by chance) that selects the icon you use to draw with. Pick the new icon you wish to use in the list that opens once you press the button. That will become the new current draw icon. This only stays for the current session, it doesn't change default permanently.

Garmin USB gps's aren't supported in USB mode yet on Delorme topo 5 or street atlas 2004. I wouldn't count on a usb/serial adapter working either. For guaranteed compatibility, get the Garmin serial adapter for the 60C/60CS and that *will* work. There is a pure data cable, and a combo cig lighter power/data cable available.

(I have the combo cable)

http://shop.garmin.com/accessories_for_pro...ku=010-00322-20

010-10141-00

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10141%2D00

010-10165-00

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10165%2D00

I save the GPX file, open it with GSAK, save it in Street Atlas format to the DeLorme Draw folder AND use the option %drop2-%typ1 when exporting. Then import it in SA 2004 product and give it the Icon of your choice.

(Cymbaline snip)

I then use SA 2004 to download the caches into the 60cs. This is where you need the serial to USB adapter. I have used both the Belkin and the Keyspan. You can also load directly to the 60cs from GSAK but I go through SA 2004 so I can see on the SA 2004 map which caches I loaded into the 60cs.

Two questions for you:

1. How do you change the icon in StreetAtlas 2004 from the default red flag to something else? Is it an import option on the Draw tab i'm missing? (Clyde confirmed that it's on the StreetAtlas side, some changes from SA 9 to 2004).

2. I just emailed Delorme support about StreetAtlas 2004 not recognizing the 60CS via USB - you're saying the USB-to-serial adapter is required, right?

Thanks!

1. I see this question was answered correctly.

2. I use a Belkin USB/Serial connector with Delorme SA 2004 AND Topo 5 and it works fine. I have also used the Keyspan unit but sent it to my son when I sent him my Etrex. The Belkin product doesn't have the cigarette lighter adapter but I don't need that adapter in the house when downloading info to the GPSr as the 60cs has a great battery life and I don't leave the GPSr on that long in the house.

I got tired of dragging the cables back and forth between the truck and house so I just use the 12v adapter in the truck for power and the Belkin in the house for downloading.

BTW, the Belkin adapter is available at major computer stores everywhere and is about half the price of the Garmin product.

I ordered a 60cs, and I should get it by Thursday. :o

Two quick questions:

1. Will the auto-routing work faster with 24mb of maps loaded vs loading close to the 56mb max?

2. If you press FIND-FIND does it pull up routing options to a waypoint that you have labeled "HOME"? (this works on my GPS V)

Thank you in advance for your help.

I ordered a 60cs, and I should get it by Thursday. <_<

Two quick questions:

1. Will the auto-routing work faster with 24mb of maps loaded vs loading close to the 56mb max?

2. If you press FIND-FIND does it pull up routing options to a waypoint that you have labeled "HOME"? (this works on my GPS V)

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. No it routes pretty darn fast no matter what.

2. It pulls up a list of the most recent search results.

Does anyone else find that the size of the lines used on the 60CS for roads, is well, thick? If I zoom to 1.2 km, I pretty much see a whole screen of brown. <_< Is there a way to adjust the thickness of the lines? The same map (Metroguide Canada) show a single line for streets on my GPS V.

Ok I have two questions about the 60CS...I just downloaded the newest version of the software v3.5 after you download it how long does the Loader stay on the screen for? And 2nd I know that these units are WAAS enabled but noticed that mine is set to off. How many of you keep yours on all the time? Does it drain the batts faster? I appraciate any help you can all give.

Press the "mark" button, then, after you've marked your new waypoint (here), "menu" to edit it;

I don't think I need to push Edit. Once I push Mark, I can arrow up to the lon/lat fileds and change them directly (80% sure, final answer!)

I had the 60cs randomly shut off on me ... it was in the middle of routing and it just turned off

Same here - during auto-routing. Changed batteries - did it again. Turned off, on, and it worked fine?

I always have WAAS enabled. I use 2100 MA rechargables and have no problems on a 4 day camping trip (altho, the GPS does not get used at camp like on the road). Get a DC power cable.

Does anyone else find that the size of the lines used on the 60CS for roads, is well, thick?

I believe the size of the road lines were thined in a recent firmware upgrade? Or was I thinking TOPO?

This is a good thread! Ask again if your ? was un-answered!

My question: Tracks. When I save the current track on the 60CS, it asks to save ALL the track? What gets saved when I select yes (or no)? Also, what is the % of tracks display - I see I can have 0% used, but can see many saved tracks in list below - so I guess the % is only the amount of current tracks left? Then If I save the track (so it appears in the list below) my % is back to 0 - meaning I can save the max (5000?) tracks more? :huh: Hope this makes sense!

Thanks to all,

Pat

[My question: Tracks. When I save the current track on the 60CS, it asks to save ALL the track? What gets saved when I select yes (or no)? Also, what is the % of tracks display - I see I can have 0% used, but can see many saved tracks in list below - so I guess the % is only the amount of current tracks left? Then If I save the track (so it appears in the list below) my % is back to 0 - meaning I can save the max (5000?) tracks more?  ;)  Hope this makes sense!

I was going through the same type of tracks-related questions yesterday. Everytime I downloaded tracks to TopoUSA 5, I would get multiple tracks over the same roads, even though my 60c shows that I saved individual tracks. Here's my guess (haven't had time to verify this, though):

1. The % field is your "working track memory." Unless it's cleared back to 0%, every time you start a new track (by choosing "on"), it will append all new track data onto whatever is already in the working memory.

2. When saving, the "no" option in "save all the track" enables you to use the arrow to cursor to a particular point in the track working memory and make it the new start or stop point. If you tell it to save all, you get everything in the working memory, whether some of the track points are from a previous tracking "episode" or just the current one.

3. Once you save a track, then choose "clear," your track is still saved, but you've just cleared the working memory to enable your next track to start fresh.

4. I don't know how the % relates to memory usage (i.e. how many points & tracks are still available out of the total available :huh:), but I would hope that it all works together. In other words, if you've got some combination of tracks & points saved, your working memory % will increase proportionately faster (because there's less available memory) than if you're starting with absolutely nothing saved or in the working memory.

Clear as mud?

Edit: typo

Edited by WxMaker

O I C!

So, if I turn on tracks, go from point A to B, turn off the GPS, then the next day go from point B to C. If I choose to save the tracks, save all the tracks "Yes" saves from point A to C. "No" would allow me to save from B top C only! (In my best Robin Williams voice:) That's right, he can be taught! :P Thanks!

So I still wonder what the % is really a percent of? If I can have 10,000(?) tracks on my 60CS, and if I have saved a previous track with (say) 2,000 tracks/points (the track is in the track list at bottom of tracks screen), and % shows zero, do I still have 10,000 tracks/point left or 8,000? :huh:

It seems like if I only had 8,000 tracks/points left, it would always show a higher % used? So, I haveta guess that once the track is saved, I still have 10,000 points left (reading 0%)? So, I guess again that once saved, the saved tracks use the more general 56MB memory than what the unit uses for tracks?!? ;)B)B)

OK, now I'm confused! :o

I'm having trouble following all of this discussion, but some things I do know are..

When you "save" your tracklog, it distills it down to 500 points or less. That is, if your tracklog is 2,000 points, it will remove points (e.g. the middle points of a straight line) until it is less than 500 points. This distilled tracklog will be saved.

In addition, saving tracks removes the time info from each individual point.

The saved tracks do not count toward the 10,000 points that the active track can contain.

Does anyone else find that the size of the lines used on the 60CS for roads, is well, thick?

I believe the size of the road lines were thined in a recent firmware upgrade? Or was I thinking TOPO?

I have the most recent firmware loaded but didn't notice a change. The contour lines in the Topo version are thin but the roads show up as big in that map too. Same thing in CitySelect. :huh:

Edited by thibaug

I think i saw someone ask this but i couldent find an answer. i dont have city select loaded. when i download a route from mapsource and try to navagate it i get two options, follow road and off road. if i hit follow road i tries to route the basemap, if i hit off road it draws a stright line. is there any way to just navagate a route

I think i saw someone ask this but i couldent find an answer. i dont have city select loaded. when i download a route from mapsource and try to navagate it i get two options, follow road and off road. if i hit follow road i tries to route the basemap, if i hit off road it draws a stright line. is there any way to just navagate a route

I think not unless you have maps loaded. How can if follow a road that 's not there?

I see some of you are using EasyGPS with your 60cs.  I got the latest version off of this site and it doesn't seem to list the 60cs or USB support???? Am I stupid?

Careless maybe.

Go to the main site and make CERTAIN you are downloading the latest version.

v 1.3.7 is current as of August 6

http://www.easygps.com/download.asp

Then when you search for the GPS in the preferences list, remember it is called the GPSMAP 60C (or 60CS) for the sensor crowd.

The word MAP sorts it into a different place on the list than, say, the GPS 48.

:smile:

http://members.cox.net/dmbleess/geocache/benchmarks.htm

Is there any way to just navagate a route

Do you have any other maps loaded in your GPS other than the basemap? Since you have Mapsource, I'm assuming you do?

yes i have metroguide v5. but even so i shouldent need any maps to follw a route from A to B to C. its justs routs me to c because i dont have autorouting software

Do you have any other maps loaded in your GPS other than the basemap? Since you have Mapsource, I'm assuming you do?

yes i have metroguide v5. but even so i shouldent need any maps to follw a route from A to B to C. its justs routs me to c because i dont have autorouting software

You do have autorouting software: Both Mapsource and the 60CS are auto-routing. :smile: But it's like Centex Trekker said, the GPSR has to have the map in order to route properly. The routes that are created don't store every coordinate between 2 locations otherwise they'd be too big. Is there a reason you don't want to download the maps to the GPSR?

You do have autorouting software: Both Mapsource and the 60CS are auto-routing. :smile: But it's like Centex Trekker said, the GPSR has to have the map in order to route properly. The routes that are created don't store every coordinate between 2 locations otherwise they'd be too big. Is there a reason you don't want to download the maps to the GPSR?

thats sort of what i want to know. but, if i manually make a route on my PC, then transfer it to the gps. when i try navagating it, it tries to autoroute to the last route point, not draw it and go through each actual point. i dont know if im making sense.

try making a route in mapsource that you know your gps wouldent take, then try to navagate it and tell me what happens

thats sort of what i want to know. but, if i manually make a route on my PC, then transfer it to the gps. when i try navagating it, it tries to autoroute to the last route point, not draw it and go through each actual point. i dont know if im making sense.

try making a route in mapsource that you know your gps wouldent take, then try to navagate it and tell me what happens

I had never tried this exact scenario, but it pretty much did what I thought. The route seems to be made of only the points (Lat/Lon) you pick on the PC. When it gets to the GPSR, it uses the points and whatever map you currently have loaded to calculate a route. It seems it does try and route you through the intermediate points if there is a road that comes close. So, I think the bottom line is that a route on the PC is only made up of the Points you define, and it still needs the map in the GPSR to figure what roads to use to get between the points.

im going to restart this question because i think i am misleading people.

i have 60cs and metroguide v5. IF i use the autorouting feature on the pc and then send the route to the 60cs, it will show up in the route page. if i select it, then press navagate, i get an option. on road or off road. If i select off road it draws a stright line to the last point of the route. If i select on road i tries to calculate its own route to the last point, but because metroguide does not support routing on the gps doesnt follw the premade route, how can i just navagate a route that i already made

Edited by greengolftee87

But the question is: DO you have the Metroguide V5 maps loaded into the GPS for the ROUTE that you are trying to load?

In other words, it will not dow what you are trying to do just using the basemap that came programed into the 60c. It needs to have the more detailed maps loaded in order to do it.

Hope this helps.

How to control auto-zooming with new waypoint?

When I create a new waypoint and go to it on the map, the screen zooms to a scale needed to show the current location and the new point. This is often hundreds of miles across, so I have to zoom in manually to see any detail--very annoying! How do I turn this off so that the screen stays at the existing zoom setting? Menu -> Setup Map -> Auto Zoom doesn't do it.

But the question is: DO you have the Metroguide V5 maps loaded into the GPS for the ROUTE that you are trying to load?

In other words, it will not dow what you are trying to do just using the basemap that came programed into the 60c. It needs to have the more detailed maps loaded in order to do it.

Hope this helps.

yes the maps are loaded

im going to restart this question because i think i am misleading people.

i have 60cs and metroguide v5. IF i use the autorouting feature on the pc and then send the route to the 60cs, it will show up in the route page. if i select it, then press navagate, i get an option. on road or off road. If i select off road it draws a stright line to the last point of the route. If i select on road i tries to calculate its own route to the last point, but because metroguide does not support routing on the gps doesnt follw the premade route, how can i just navagate a route that i already made

If you transfer a route from MG to the GPS, you only transfer some points.

It will not give you the option to show/follow the route on the GPS.

It's the same with CS and CN, except that the GPS with CN or CS on board recalculate the route for you. It not the same route on PC/GPS. Both of them crate their own rout based on point/endpoint. But this does not work with MG!!!!!!

You can follow the route you have created on the PC, if you connect the GPS and do tracking. No route on MG (except MG USA 4.0)