Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

FYI:

Garmin is pleased to announce that beta software is available for the GPSMAP 60CS.

You can download the beta software from our website by clicking the following link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=660

*********** Please Note! *************

This is BETA software. Although this software is believed to be reliable,

it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.61:

* Fixed transfer problem with custom waypoint symbols.

* Now report DEM map support to PC software.

* Fixed lockup that could happen when selecting a Tracback point.

* Fixed shutdown caused by viewing some Marine Light points.

* Fixed problem with Indonesian Southern Grid using wrong longitude of origin.

* Added advanced NMEA support settings to support certain marine autopilot units.

* Fixed problem where the interaction with certain beacon receivers was not displayed.

* Added Select Map option for Address and Intersection searching.

* Fixed problem where waypoint depth was not being saved as invalid when it was unknown.

* Fixed problem where waypoints could not be saved in certain areas of BlueChart maps.

* Fixed lockup that could occur when selecting symbols for waypoints.

* Added warning message about removing batteries when Pressure

Trend Recording is always on.

* Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.

* Added Jumpmaster support under Setup menu.

* Made the way intermittent water areas are drawn more visible.

* Fixed problem where compass pointer could transition to next

turn too quickly.

* Fixed problem with bearing being adjusted improperly when projecting waypoints with a non-zero north reference.

* Fixed lockup that would occur when 'finding by name' and then

viewing map information for the point.

* Fixed problem in tide charts where local time axis would not match the station time axis.

* Changed tide stations to show selected date when saved on a calendar day.

I have a question too. I upgraded from a Legend also and have noticed one thing that the Legend seemed to do better. When I marked a waypoint with the Legend I could modify the point and then hit "Go To" in the bottom right corner. This is the way that I would input waypoints on a multi-cache. However, when I mark a waypoint with the 60CS it lets me modify the waypoint but it says "OK" in the lower right corner instead of "Go To". I know I can hit OK and then hit Find twice and then select my new waypoint but is there a faster way?

I had another thought later: Is there an option to change the "OK" button to say "GoTo" like the Legend has it?

Edited by TrailGators
I'm waiting until you beta testers are done! My 60CS is working just fine!

A saying I heard that kind of sticks with me in situations like this....

"The pioneers get the arrows, the settlers get the land'. :P

Edit: I'm a terrible speller

Edited by Seay me

From the Garmin website. This is what they mean by beta...

Please send feedback to Gmap60cBeta@garmin.com

WARNING: If this software is uploaded to a device other than that for which it is designed, you will not be able to operate that device.

If attempts to upload software fail, you may need to return the device to Garmin® for service.

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Edited by Seay me
*  Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.

Hallelujah! After literally MONTHS having gone by without hearing anything from Garmin, maybe they've fixed the strange lockup I get in Northern Virginia when approaching certain roads and intersections with "guidance text" set to "always on." This bug has been around since one of the v3.4 betas, and I've had to turn guidance text off since then.

:P:P:lol:

Edited by 4x5shooter
*  Fixed lockup that could occur when approaching certain roads on the map.

Hallelujah! After literally MONTHS having gone by without hearing anything from Garmin, maybe they've fixed the strange lockup I get in Northern Virginia when approaching certain roads and intersections with "guidance text" set to "always on." This bug has been around since one of the v3.4 betas, and I've had to turn guidance text off since then.

:P:P:lol:

I've had to turn off the "lock to road" map feature to stop mine from crashing when I was autorouting. I really didn't need that feature anyhow.

WARNING! I just loaded 3.61 into my 60cs and: lost ALL installed waypoints and have been unable, so far, to download points from GSAK either.

Odd.....it kept all my waypoints, maps, everything......

That's what you think, look at 3.61 beta. It's mostly bug fixes which means those bugs ARE IN 3.6. Doesn't it?!?

Edited by jcc123

A question before I buy my 60cs. I just loaded Metroguide into my Legend and have been playing with the map. To get the smaller streets to appear, I must be zoomed way in. When I do this, of course, I can't see much around me. Is there a way to zoom in and out quickly with the 60cs where I can see the smaller road and still see the "big" picture? Zooming in and out by hand is a problem while driving. I hope this question makes sense.

WARNING! I just loaded 3.61 into my 60cs and: lost ALL installed waypoints and have been unable, so far, to download points from GSAK either.

Odd.....it kept all my waypoints, maps, everything......

That's what you think, look at 3.61 beta. It's mostly bug fixes which means those bugs ARE IN 3.6. Doesn't it?!?

Like I said before my 60CS is working fine. It does crash on occasion so when the beta is released I'll upgrade!

A question before I buy my 60cs.  I just loaded Metroguide into my Legend and have been playing with the map.  To get the smaller streets to appear, I must be zoomed way in.  When I do this, of course, I can't see much around me.  Is there a way to zoom in and out quickly with the 60cs where I can see the smaller road and still see the "big" picture?  Zooming in and out by hand is a problem while driving.  I hope this question makes sense.

You can increase the map detail to see all the streets when you are zoomed out. Otherwise, I'm not aware of a way to do what you are asking besides toggling the "IN" or "OUT" button several times.

By the way, you won't be able to Auto-Route with Metroguide. You will need to buy City Select software to use this powerful feature. The auto-routing feature was the main reason I decided to upgrade from my Legend.

Edited by TrailGators
I have a question too. I upgraded from a Legend also and have noticed one thing that the Legend seemed to do better. When I marked a waypoint with the Legend I could modify the point and then hit "Go To" in the bottom right corner. This is the way that I would input waypoints on a multi-cache. However, when I mark a waypoint with the 60CS it lets me modify the waypoint but it says "OK" in the lower right corner instead of "Go To". I know I can hit OK and then hit Find twice and then select my new waypoint but is there a faster way?

So nobody knows the answer to this question? (Just checking one more time)

I'd like a solution to this, too.

Hey everyone!

I'm having a problem getting waypoints to the 60CS through GSAK. I have downloaded USB drivers and the 3.6, but the update can't be installed! It doesn't see the USB connection. Sooo, I can't update or download caches, the (new) computer recognized that I put something in the USB, but it just doesn't work. When I try to send from gsak, it says "Error sending waypoints: blah". The GSAK board doesn't know what it is...help me!

Awkward Socks

Is there a benchmark icon on the 60cs?

No, but We3Dements has made some. A preview and a link to download them as a zip file are here.

Edit: TheOfficeMaven has other custom Geocaching waypoints posted (with a downloadable zip file) here.

More on custom waypoints in the seventh question on this link.

It never ceases to amaze me how creative and generous fellow cachers are with their talents. Thanks We3 and OM!

Edited by Sputnik 57

I'd like a solution to this, too.

It appears that the 60CS assumes that you are just playing with your waypoint until you hit "OK". Hitting menu from the waypoint menu after an edit just brings up regular menu options from there (project, average, add to route, etc.). There is no GOTO option until you press OK. Then the unit returns to whatever it was doing when you pressed MARK

MARK, edit, OK, FIND, FIND seems to be the shortest path to the goal, AFAICT.

Hey, I just noitced that there are some dust particles under the screen. It's not much but it's there. Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't know if it worked itself there or did the tech. person accidently left it there after I had it serviced recently. :P

Most likely from when they had it open for repair or when it was originally constructed. There is no way dirt or dust could work past the seals on it unless there is something wrong with them.

My 60CS went totally wacko on me today. Everytime I tried to route, it would reboot find satellies and reboot over and over. The only way I could get it to stop rebotting was to turn off routing (offroad and road). So I had to find caches today the old fashioned way: by looking at the coordinates and adjusting my position until the numbers matched. Anyhow, when I got back home I loaded the 3.61 beta and now it seems like the routing is working again. Just in case it flakes out again I'm taking my Legend along as a backup! Has anyone had this problem before?

Does anybody know of any pictures of the various mounts actually in a vehicle?

I've looked at all the pictures on Garmins site, and really can't tell what would be best for me.

010-10199-02  Dashboard mount 

010-10306-00  Portable mount (no installation required)

010-10456-00  Automotive mounting bracket  $31.80  Buy

010-10457-00  Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount 

The windsheild is kinda self explanitory, but the other's I'm not sure where they would fit. They could be used at various times in 3 diffrent vehicles.

TIA.

Bracketron makes a cell phone dash mount for my truck:

http://www.bracketron.com/

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/manuals/CHE-201-99.pdf

Onto that I screwed on the Garmin bicycle handlebar mount bracket, and the tension screw lined up perfectly with a hole already on the bracketron bracket.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10454%2D00

This is the end result:

dashcomp.jpg

Out of the way but still in reach, takes some practice to operate while driving, and I wouldn't mess with it in heavy / fast traffic.

I also use the GA27C magnetic roof-mount external antenna and the cig lighter power/pc data serial cable.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10052%2D05

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10165%2D00

Those two parts let me get better reception in hilly/forested areas, and interface to a pc while saving my batteries.

My 60CS is dying! OK here's the deal. During as mega caching spree the other day (144 find!) all of a sudden my 60CS's buttons wouldn't work. So I reboot, take the batteries out, beat it a bit. After about an hour it starts working again! Woohoo!

So I'm caching on Tuesday, near the end of the day it's doing it again, but I get it reworking.

So today, same thing. I mean what's making these buttons work intermittently? I don't have time to have a GPS out of service, there's caches to find!

Anyone got any ideas, beside reloading the firware, tried that already.

I have had the same thing start to happen with my 60CS in the last week or so. The only button that works is the power. The unit is not locked up because it is still tracking and showing pop-ups for turns but I cant get it to respond with the keys (other then powering it down). I have had to shut it off and press all the keys really hards a few times then power back up and keep doing this untill they start to work again. I am going to call Garmin in the morning and see what can be done.

The big problem I have is I use it for work and even being without it for a day will be a HUGE pain. I have a GPS V as a back up, but I am really spoiled now and do not want to go back to the "old" gps. I have also thought about getting a Quest for work but I still dont know if it will be worth it.

I too have had my 60cs lock up while using the cityselect V6 Oahu maps. Garmin was so kind to send me a replacement unit which also displayed the same problems here on Oahu. I took both units to Colorado for a 10 day vacation and both worked perfectly. This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the map software for my area only.

I updated my 60cs to version 3.61 last night and I hope this solves the problem. I will keep you posted. CL

I've looked at all the pictures on Garmins site, and really can't tell what would be best for me.

010-10199-02  Dashboard mount 

010-10306-00  Portable mount (no installation required)

010-10456-00  Automotive mounting bracket  $31.80  Buy

010-10457-00  Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount 

The windsheild is kinda self explanitory, but the other's I'm not sure where they would fit. They could be used at various times in 3 diffrent vehicles.

TIA.

Bracketron makes a cell phone dash mount for my truck:

http://www.bracketron.com/

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/manuals/CHE-201-99.pdf

Onto that I screwed on the Garmin bicycle handlebar mount bracket, and the tension screw lined up perfectly with a hole already on the bracketron bracket.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10454%2D00

This is the end result:

dashcomp.jpg

Out of the way but still in reach, takes some practice to operate while driving, and I wouldn't mess with it in heavy / fast traffic.

I also use the GA27C magnetic roof-mount external antenna and the cig lighter power/pc data serial cable.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10052%2D05

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10165%2D00

Those two parts let me get better reception in hilly/forested areas, and interface to a pc while saving my batteries.

Sweet! Thanks for the photos.......I'm gonna stop into the local mobile sound/cell phone shop to see what we can work out for the explorer!

Garmin's response:

Yes, this is the part within the update which fixed your " lock-up. Thanks

Reply to Garmin:

I hate to say it....but if that was the fix, it didn't work. I don't know what they think!.. they fixed.

For what it's worth, here again in short is the problem we have in the 60cs:

With v3.61Beta installed:

Whole unit lockups still happen with "waypoint at destination" in a (trip computer) display field during active navigation in trackback with the trip computer display continuously on screen with no button pushing until lockup occurs.

With that said, my next request is for an engineering contact that I can consult with directly on this matter. This is pretty much the last straw for me now having put up with this problem for a year in this unit and other copies of the 60cs I've used trying to get one that works. Considering your product involves the safety of the general public, (both the GPS user) and the (Non-User)... no Garmin system should ever be released for purchase until that design can be offered in a reliable form. My intent was to buy a navigation system, not a Fischer Price geocache toy. You will never know how many hours I have put into helping Product Support troubleshoot these issues and many others I have found in the unit that still go unfixed. This system is so far from ready to be released to the public and yet Garmin continues adding features to the 60cs while the basics don't work right. I can't even begin to tell you just how disgusted I am with Garmin products and the lack of effective support on the several occasions that I've needed it. Which...so happens to be why I've made no further moves to purchase any other overpriced products or accessories that Garmin offers. For this reason I will most likely be returning the unit for a full refund if this highly essential function is not fixed by April, the one year anniversary of my dealing with these buggy 60cs units.

So that we can get to the bottom of this and a bunch of other 60cs problems, ASAP.... please pass along the necessary contact information for your engineering department where I can give them the straight poop on this and other issues with this system that remains unreliable.

........ is not fixed by April, the one year anniversary of my dealing with these buggy 60cs units.

I would send it back ASAP.....Having purchased it LAST April (over 8 months ago) and NO geocache finds logged to date in your profile, that is a bum unit!

693 :P

You have traveled a lot or living in a dense populated area.

........ is not fixed by April, the one year anniversary of my dealing with these buggy 60cs units.

I would send it back ASAP.....Having purchased it LAST April (over 8 months ago) and NO geocache finds logged to date in your profile, that is a bum unit!

I'm not a Geocacher...I need the unit for navigation but it seems the market wants Geocache toys and not real and reliable navigation gear anymore.

693  :P

You have traveled a lot or living in a dense populated area.

We live in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico, 6 months or more a year and then somewhere in Northern California for the rest of the year. We are RV snowbirds and look for a cache rich environment when picking our summer spot. Not many caches here in Baja so I gotta catch up in the summer, if you know what I mean. So does picking our summer spot based on a cache rich environment mean we are hooked on Geocaching? You bet we are.

010-10199-02 Dashboard mount

010-10306-00 Portable mount (no installation required)

010-10456-00 Automotive mounting bracket $31.80 Buy

010-10457-00 Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount

TIA.

I'd have to say phooey to all that fuss with the Garmin mounts. We use a Ram Windshield Mount and it is outstanding. It holds on rock hard, can be moved easily to any vehicle, can be adjusted to any position you could possibly want, and our 60CS snaps in and out of it quickly. When you're driving, it's easy to see and out of the way when it's stuck to the left side of the windshield.

I'm not a Geocacher...I need the unit for navigation but it seems the market wants Geocache toys and not real and reliable navigation gear anymore.

Thank you for straightening me out in that my Garmin GPSMap60cs is a toy, and although it has been working fine for geocaching navigation since it came out 6 months ago, it is really not a 'real and reliable navigation tool'.

Unfortunately I think there may be a few people here in a product specific geocaching driven thread, of a geocaching sponsored forum, that would disagree with you.

Could be that Trimble is.. the only real act in towm. Anyway, here's the response

from Garmin:

After talking with the one of the guys working with the 60 issues, and about this problem, he notified me that he has fixed the problem but was not able to release this fix in time for the beta version. Since this is just a beta version, complete versions are always release after the beta version, which will include this fix. I apologize about the previous response which said this fix was included in this beta versions when it wasn't. Am confident in the next complete version the fix will be there.

Has anyone used on of these on their bicycle?  Would it hold enough for light trail riding?  I'd like to get this mount for my 60c and looking for a little feedback before i make the purchase.

2101.jpg

I bought one and do not use it. The first time I put my 60CS in the hole, I saw it was broken ! Just one use ! I did not push it to strong but my confiance is gone: it is not reliable I think.

I now use an other system: I secure my GPS on the front bag of my bike. For my truck, I use velcro pad. When riding in trails, I put my unit in my shirt pocket with the antenna under my hat.

Jacques

www.velocarte.com

Edited by plein air
Has anyone used on of these on their bicycle? Would it hold enough for light trail riding? I'd like to get this mount for my 60c and looking for a little feedback before i make the purchase.

2101.jpg

That is the same mount I use on my bike.. and I would have to say that its pretty tuff. At least for me. I take jumps and hop over logs with out much trouble. Just be sure that the unit is clipped in. You may also need to put in a foam spacer between the batteries and the cover. Otherwise they fit loose and the first big bump you hit the unit will shut off.

The handle bar mount came with the Etrex bike mount I bought.

The 60CS bracket came from my auto navigation kit I bought with beanbag mount.

Since they use the same mechanism for mounting I can use either my Etrex or 60CS in both my beanbag and bike mounts.