Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

I had thoughts about the screen. But what really bothers me is when I have it mounted in the car, and get a terrible reflection and cannot read the screen. At times like that it is better as a rear view mirror than a GPS. It would seem that a texture to a protector would help in that situation. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.

In my experience the screen protectors have made my phone and my gps nearly unreadable in daylight due to reflections.

It's not possible to calibrate maps for Mapsource. The problem is that map is made up from vectors, and less vectors makes more shortcuts. BaseMaps and WorldMap is only made to show the major roads, and it's made up from few vectors. CitySelect, CityNavigator and MetroGuide have a much higher of accuracy, since many more vectors is used to create the maps.

Only scanned maps and images are possible to calibrate. Mapsource do not support these maps.

It's not possible to calibrate maps for Mapsource.  The problem is that map is made up from vectors, and less vectors makes more shortcuts.  BaseMaps and WorldMap is only made to show the major roads, and it's made up from few vectors.  CitySelect, CityNavigator and MetroGuide have a much higher of accuracy, since many more vectors is used to create the maps.

Only scanned maps and images are possible to calibrate.  Mapsource do not support these maps.

Ok, so I understand, it's the base-map, not the GPS unit. So there will be times, with the base map I may be driving parralell to the route I'm on, not on it.

Edited by JackStraw_1969
Just curious if there is a way to calibrate the 60CS & Mapsource? After a quick ride from work to home, it nails it on the unit, but when I load the route into Mapsource it's off.

My guess is that it doesn't "nail it" on the unit. What is likely happening is that the unit is simply snapping the position icon (ie: the triangle that represents your position) to the nearest road. That's what the "Lock to Road" (or whatever it's called) option does in the Map Setup page. If you turn off the "Lock to Road" and then go driving, you will probably see your position icon following parallel to the road you're on.

When you record waypoints or tracks, it uses its actual position information, not the "Lock to Road" position. As least that's how it looks to me.

GeoBC

There are different types of PDA screen protectors. I remember seeing some that are anti-reflective if you are bothered by reflections. Some are textured but others are smooth as a babies bottoms. You'll have to experiment. They're not expensive so it's worth looking into at a computer store.

I'm sure you'll find the exact one you'll have happy with. The best part is that you can just swap it for a new one when you don't like the current one.

Edited by jcc123

A) It is now time to decide if the I should purchase the Garmin Topo product,

is the Garmin Topo product as good as Delorme Topo 5 for PC?

B ) loaded CitySelect v5.  Was wondering if there is a way to enter an address into the GPS while on the road.

C) Can anyone tell me if a track can be saved or converted as a route in the map60c and how it is done. I cant seem to figure that out

D) I would like to try geocaching with my tungsten T3 and 60cs. What programs do I need so that I can download the waypoints and info from geocaching.com and then transfer the waypoints and notes to the 60cs and the other info to my T3.

E) Is there no way to temporarily turn off just the LCD?  I could be wrong, but it would seem that by turning off the LCD you could save a good bit of power.   

I went back through and looked for a bunch of old questions on this thread I didn't think got enough attention and that I thought I might be able to add something to now (or at least bring back to the forefront of the thread for a while)

A) I've got both. The Garmin TOPO Mapsource USA data appears to be 10-15 year old USGS 100k map data. There are complete freeways missing. It is not even close to being as current as the DeLorme Topo 5. For backcountry hiking, the topo data should be good, but for city travel it is lacking a lot of current data. It is really a shame there is no way to import the DeLorme data in to the Garmins.

B ) This one actually led me to discover a minor flaw I had never noticed or heard about before. I use the USA topo map database so the address function doesn't (isn't supposed to) work for me, but I had seen that address icon in the list before (even recently after the last bios update). When I went looking tonight, it wasn't there. I messed around and picked different icons and went in and out of subscreens and it stayed hidden. I'll try to get a screen capture the next time I see it.

C) ExpertGPS for sure can do it, but it is a tedious process. Keep in mind also that while the main GPS60 track memory is up to 10,000 points, each "saved" GPS60 track maxes out at 500 waypoints each. If you want to send data back into the GPS as a track, you need to limit your work to 500 points. Routes are limited to 250 waypoints.

Using different "map tools" on the ExpertGPS map windows you can draw, drag around, add, and remove waypoints in a track. If you need more details, email me.

D) http://members.cox.net/dmbleess/geocache/benchmarks.htm

E) Apparently the LCD is one of the minimum draw items. The backlight is a bigger power drain. Antenna amplification is probably the next biggest draw but that's tech stuff I don't know enough about.

Hey, short question...I have City Select v6 loaded on my 60cs...and I was wondering, is there any way that I can change the background color on my maps? I mean, the background of all my maps (North Texas), are tan in color...I would really like them to be bright and preferably WHITE (like some of the foreign maps that have been screen shot in this thread)...

Any ideas,, or am I just screwed?

Thanks,

K

OK. I downloaded xImage_22.exe and ran it. Nothing happened. According to the instructions, that is supposed to start the install, and I am to follow the instructions. But there is no evidence that anything at all happened. It just returns to the command prompt. Has anyone tried this particular version on Win 2000?

Next question:

How can I tell what version of the firmware I have loaded on the 60cs? I notice that the Garmin web site has 3.4 and 3.42 beta. Which one would you  recommend?

Ver 3.4 has been tested, the 3.4.2 is a beta so you take your chances. I find that the beta is still worth using because it worked on Garmin tech supports GPSr and has the latest changes. There is always the chance that something will not work right on the tested version and the beta version. Garmin must be confident that it works or they wouldn't have released the beta. I'm using the beta and haven't noticed any problems. To check your version, turn the unit on, menu, menu, setup, system, menu, software version.

When I checked the software version it sain 3.60. Maybe I am responding to an old comment? :D

Is there a way to change the font size of the data fields on the map display? There is a lot of empty white space there that, if the font were smaller, could be reclaimed and used in the map display (or any other screen that has the data fields at the top for that matter).

Kirk out.

Yep.

MENU->MENU->Setup->ENTR->Map->ENTR->Text Tab ("T"). You can set the font size for Map Points, Waypoints, Street Lables, and Land Cover to your choice of small, medium, large or none.

Just curious if there is a way to calibrate the 60CS & Mapsource? After a quick ride from work to home, it nails it on the unit, but when I load the route into Mapsource it's off.

My guess is that it doesn't "nail it" on the unit. What is likely happening is that the unit is simply snapping the position icon (ie: the triangle that represents your position) to the nearest road. That's what the "Lock to Road" (or whatever it's called) option does in the Map Setup page. If you turn off the "Lock to Road" and then go driving, you will probably see your position icon following parallel to the road you're on.

When you record waypoints or tracks, it uses its actual position information, not the "Lock to Road" position. As least that's how it looks to me.

GeoBC

Actually I think the basemap is off on this particular road......Went on a little drive, and as you can see, it's right on US24 and I-172........once again, "BE" is right on '96......

Image2.jpg

Actually I think the basemap is off on this particular road......Went on a little drive, and as you can see, it's right on US24 and I-172........once again, "BE" is right on '96......

That's certainly a possibility as well. Btwn the two (map error, gps error which constantly changes), it's pretty hard to expect to get any kind of calibration.

GeoBC

So just to get this correct.....

Delorme Street Atlas 2005 will not connect to the 60CS using the USB cable? I've seen a few post about SA 2004, but am wondering if they fixed this problem with 2005.

I took back Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 because it didn't support USB connection, but now I'm thinking I will again be returning to Staples to return this program as well.

It just seems odd to me that both of these programs can be purchased with USB receivers, but will not connect to a GPSr through a USB cable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Dave

So just to get this correct.....

Delorme  Street Atlas 2005 will not connect to the 60CS using the USB cable?

correct.

It just seems odd to me that both of these programs can be purchased with USB receivers, but will not connect to a GPSr through a USB cable.

Those programs can be purchased with USB receivers that the vendors know have a stable interface because they just so happen to sell them. Here's an example why software developers aren't climing over themselves to support these things:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1259205

Ok I have a general question about the 60 series ; How is it in areas that have bad receiption aka trees , cloudy days ect ? I currently have Garmin GPS 12 and venture . The Venture gets terrible receiption the 12 can be in my pocket and will still get it . The second question is having the map software really worth it (I don't use it on the venture) ? Check out garmin if you don't know the Gps12 GPS12. Thanks for your input .

Reception should be at least as good as the 12, but whereas the 12 works best when held nearly horizontal, the 60c/cs models work best when nearly vertical. BTW, no GPS receiver should be significantly affected just by cloudy weather, but wet overhead foliage can hurt reception.

I'd definitely recommend getting the CitySelect maps if you get a 60c/cs or other auto-routing model. It won't help you find the cache itself, but will let you get to the starting point much quicker and conveniently. It also makes the GPS far more useful whenever traveling since it'll automatically direct you to a street address or any of the included business locations or other points-of-interest.

Reception should be at least as good as the 12, but whereas the 12 works best when held nearly horizontal, the 60c/cs models work best when nearly vertical. BTW, no GPS receiver should be significantly affected just by cloudy weather, but wet overhead foliage can hurt reception.

I'd definitely recommend getting the CitySelect maps if you get a 60c/cs or other auto-routing model. It won't help you find the cache itself, but will let you get to the starting point much quicker and conveniently. It also makes the GPS far more useful whenever traveling since it'll automatically direct you to a street address or any of the included business locations or other points-of-interest.

Definitely.

City Select is the perfect add-on to the 60C/CS. :ph34r:

Hey, short question...I have City Select v6 loaded on my 60cs...and I was wondering, is there any way that I can change the background color on my maps?  I mean, the background of all my maps  (North Texas), are tan in color...I would really like them to be bright and preferably WHITE (like some of the foreign maps that have been screen shot in this thread)...

Thanks,

K

I am reposting this as I didn't get any response!

Please let me know what you think..

K

Hey, short question...I have City Select v6 loaded on my 60cs...and I was wondering, is there any way that I can change the background color on my maps?  I mean, the background of all my maps  (North Texas), are tan in color...I would really like them to be bright and preferably WHITE (like some of the foreign maps that have been screen shot in this thread)...

Thanks,

K

I am reposting this as I didn't get any response!

Please let me know what you think..

K

Change your overall appearance settings. I don't know if there is a white option but you know how the maps go black at night there are settings to turn that on and off and the colors it uses.

Nope, that doesn't work, I tried that initially and all that does is change the pretty menu colors and things, not the maps themselves.

In City Select, there is a toggle on the maps papge that is greyed out about using map shading if your GPS supports map shading; I dont have the option fo using that unfortunately... Is everyone else having this problem? I just wnat my blasted maps to be white when not in TOPO, whcih is what everyone else's looks like...my maps are brown/tan background and it hurts the readability of the maps...I will send an e-mail to GARMIN and see what I get back...

Now here is another question...the 60 CS comes (in the GPS) of the "basemap", and I could set my arrow and pan over the world with very low level detail...however...I just recently uploaded to my GPSr my local maps...and I ahve apparently lost all of the base maps for anywhere else but the specific region I downloaded...what is up with that?

How can I reapply the basemaps to the GPSr AND upload the more detailed maps too? ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks ... K

I ahve apparently lost all of the base maps for anywhere else but the specific region I downloaded...what is up with that?

Have you actually observed the loss of your basemap or are you going by the (IMHO) stupid warning message that Garmin's MapSource gave you?

The basemap should be permanently in the memory of your GPS, so if it has really disappeared then you have a defect and should return it to Garmin. The warning message is about a marine POI (bouys, lights, markers, etc.) that Garmin preloads into the downloadable map memory of many of their models. This gets overwritten when you download detailed maps, but the basemap should remain intact.

If you ever do want the marine POIs back you can download them from Garmin's website, but they would then overwrite the detailed maps. So it's rarely advisable unless you want to return the unit to 'as new' condition.

[it's the 3.93 MB file on the right side of this page: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=547 ]

Edited by peter

Further up this thread I had asked a question about changing the font in the data fields. I got a good reponse. Thank-you. I tried that suggestion and still the fonts in the actual data fields aren't affected by any of the settings previously mentioned. Does anyone know of any way to reduce the font size in the data fields so that more of the map, or navigation, etc. screens can be seen?

Thanks again,

Kirk out.

(edit for spelling errors)

Edited by Search1128
Further up this thread I had asked a question about changing the font in the data fields. I got a good reponse. Thank-you. I tried that suggestion and still the fonts in the actual data fields aren't affected by any of the settings previously mentioned. Does anyone know of any way to reduce the font size in the data fields so that more of the map, or navigation, etc. screens can be seen?

Thanks again,

Kirk out.

(edit for spelling errors)

Alas, AFAIK, there is no way to change the font size in the data fields. This omission is odd, because prior GPSr firmware (for the 72 or 76 non-map, I believe) permitted this helpful change. Even if we could toggle between "Large" and "Small" it would help free up screen space. I've e-mailed Garmin asking for it to be included in the next release, and mentioned it in the What Would You Ask Garmin thread. (That and $5 will get me a cup of coffee). Maybe if enough of us ask . . . It shouldn't be too hard since the coding is out there somewhere for one of there other units.

Does anybody know of any pictures of the various mounts actually in a vehicle?

I've looked at all the pictures on Garmins site, and really can't tell what would be best for me.

010-10199-02 Dashboard mount

010-10306-00 Portable mount (no installation required)

010-10456-00 Automotive mounting bracket $31.80 Buy

010-10457-00 Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount

The windsheild is kinda self explanitory, but the other's I'm not sure where they would fit. They could be used at various times in 3 diffrent vehicles.

TIA.

Does anybody know of any pictures of the various mounts actually in a vehicle?

I've looked at all the pictures on Garmins site, and really can't tell what would be best for me.

010-10199-02  Dashboard mount 

010-10306-00  Portable mount (no installation required)

010-10456-00  Automotive mounting bracket  $31.80  Buy

010-10457-00  Automotive windshield mounting bracket with suction cup mount 

The windsheild is kinda self explanitory, but the other's I'm not sure where they would fit. They could be used at various times in 3 diffrent vehicles.

TIA.

I have used the bean bag mount with my 76CS exclusively. It is a bit tall so it will not work if you have a low overhead on your dashboard. I have used it with my Chevy Avalanche and my Ford E-450 chasis motorhome without any problems. It is very stable and I have only watched my GPS tumble on a few overzealous turns :o .

Edited by AdamInCA
I have used the bean bag mount with my 76CS exclusively. It is a bit tall so it will not work if you have a low overhead on your dashboard.

Me too. Plus I didn't want my GPS on the dash. Been working great so far!

As I stated in another thread, I clamped a board that sits on the pulled out ashtray and seat. With my right arm on the armrest I can reach it and change screens without looking. (until I need to)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks to everyone for all the informative posts. I'm looking at purchasing a 60c. I've heard too many good things about it. :D

A couple questions:

- has anyone used a GA26C external antenna vs. the GA27C? "This new and improved remote antenna runs on a lower voltage so battery drain is minimized." Significant, or no?

- just how much clearance is needed for the dash mount with the friction base? I'm trying to figure out where on my dash it will fit, be accessable, and not be a visual problem. I can't find any dimensions listed anywhere.

Actually, with the bean bag thing, you can turn the mount so that the bottom of the mount comes down between two of the bag ears, and the vertical clearance becomes just about the vertical size of the GPS itself. I use mine in a Toyota Tacoma, and it works great unless you bounce around too much on a rough highway exit. The combination of bouncing and turning seems to be the only thing that causes a problem with it scooting around.

It took me awhile to figure all the different ways that thing can be adjusted.

thanks for the reply miha. i've got a toyota camry, so there isn't much clearance, but it sounds like i'll be able to get it to work.

well, nevermind about the 26c... garmin's website doesn't list it as an accessory for the 60c, so i'm guessing it's for a different gps unit.

From the map page, hit <menu> <setup> <menu>. If you select "Hide City Select" your basemap will reappear.

With City Select hidden, you will not be able to auto-route...

I believe the greyed out shading option is to support the 24K topo software.

Edited by markhp
With City Select hidden, you will not be able to auto-route...

If you auto-route to a destination, it will still show you when to take left, right when you hide CitySelect. If GPS need to recalculate the route, because you meet a closed road etc, it do not recalculate with the map hidden.

Well I have jumped on the band wagon and got my 60CS, upgrading from a Legend. It is every bit as cool as expected. Having read just about every post here most of my questions have been answered.

2 questions remaining, when looking at the units in the set-up what does "Statute" mean? Secondly, with all its amazing functions is there anyway to automatically enter the parking coordinates given in the description of some caches.

I think my finds are going to start going up with this unit - just getting to the area is going to be so much easier. If only the 60CS could clear my drive of snow too. :lol:

2 questions remaining, when looking at the units in the set-up what does "Statute" mean?

It refers to a statute mile (which is what you use on your hwys) as opposed to a nautical mile (when you hear a ship travelling at 10 knots, it is travelling at 10 nautical miles per hour -- BTW, knot and nautical mile just happen to be coincidental terms. The knot actually refers to the knots in a rope that used to be used for measuring speed.). A nautical mile is 1.15 times longer than a statute mile.

Secondly, with all its amazing functions is there anyway to automatically enter the parking coordinates given in the description of some caches.

Not that I know of.

GeoBC

I've got a question about editing Waypoints. I've got a 76C but I assume it's the same with the 60's:

When the numeric entry pad pops up, what the heck are the up/down arrows used for??

I was hoping they were for incrementing/decrementing the currently highlighted digit but it appears not to be the case.

For numeric entry, I like the old system where left/right moves to a different numeric placeholder, and up/down alters the digit.

GeoBC

When the numeric entry pad pops up, what the heck are the up/down arrows used for??

I was hoping they were for incrementing/decrementing the currently highlighted digit but it appears not to be the case.

AFAICT, all they do is toggle the hemisphere. So when you go caching in far-away Pango-Pango, you can switch the N to S and the W to E. That's it.

AFAICT, all they do is toggle the hemisphere. So when you go caching in far-away Pango-Pango, you can switch the N to S and the W to E. That's it.

Ah! That makes sense and is something I've never tried (I spend most of the time in the N/W area). ;-) Thanks for solving that puzzle! Was that in the manual at all?

GeoBC

AFAICT, all they do is toggle the hemisphere.  So when you go caching in far-away Pango-Pango, you can switch the N to S and the W to E.  That's it.

Ah! That makes sense and is something I've never tried (I spend most of the time in the N/W area). ;-) Thanks for solving that puzzle! Was that in the manual at all?

I'm not sure. Does anyone read the manual? I stumbled accross it trying to give detailed instructions to a fellow cacher via e-mail.

The keypad is discussed in the FAQ, but I need to add something about the up and down arrows there.

As someone once said, "Workin' on it."

I have a question too. I upgraded from a Legend also and have noticed one thing that the Legend seemed to do better. When I marked a waypoint with the Legend I could modify the point and then hit "Go To" in the bottom right corner. This is the way that I would input waypoints on a multi-cache. However, when I mark a waypoint with the 60CS it lets me modify the waypoint but it says "OK" in the lower right corner instead of "Go To". I know I can hit OK and then hit Find twice and then select my new waypoint but is there a faster way?