Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Ok, I see you can use EasyGps to send waypoints to only the geocaching page in the 60C. But I am a registered GSAK lover and when I sent my waypoints they went to both pages. I created and edited my database in GSAK, then clicked the export mapsource mps file icon. Changed the gps symbols to the geocaching icons and checked the box to load file into mapsource after generation. After going to mapsource I just sent this to the 60C. Did I do something wrong or are you not able to send waypoints via GSAK to just the geocaching page? :laughing:

The "geocache" page is simply a filter of all the waypoints, that is filtered by the type "unfound geocache". If a point doesn't show up as part of "all waypoints", it won't show up as a geocache waypoint either. Still have no fear - it is not taking up extra space. You can also filter by any other symbol by clicking menu when on the all waypoints page.

Geo-Jedi

Edited by geo-jedi

I discovered a solution for my lack of a favorites list that I liked in my legend so much. I create routes with a single waypoint in them. I used to keep Home in my favorites so I could easily find it on the motorcycle. With the 60c I have route that contains only that one point which displays with Home as the starting and finishing point. When you hit navigate the gps simply sends you there from wherever you currently are situated.

I just upgraded to Garmin 60CS and I like it a lot but there's something I just can't find. i had an etrex Vista and if I downloaded a route based on Europe Metroguide, (I don't have CitySelect or the code...) the unit would check if you'd follow the "track" based on the route through the journey. It reacted the same as "trackback" in the 60CS.

The problem is in the 60CS, since it cannot find autorouting info, if I choose "follow road" I get a "error: no road near by..." and if I select "off road" it just plots me a straight line to the end point.

It seems to be overlooking the data uploaded as route. Am I just... not good or is this what its suppose to do? Can a route be considered as a trace of waypoints? I looked in the whole tread here and didn't seem to find this issue.

Oh... And a second little thing... I bought the unit over Internet, in the US but I'm in Europe.. Can the basemap be changed?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by slurpey
Cancel the above post I should have read more pages it seems a lot of people have the same problem

Hey Woodiebro, Easy GPS works fine, do this;

Under File select Preferences, addGPS, Garmin, GPSMap 60C or 60CS, then check the box 'Use USB', ok, ok. You should then be ok.

Another question Guys

When the GPS is connected via USB is it getting power from the computer or the battery.

Also a problem discovered and fixed.

When I first got it there was no direction pointing arrow appearing on the compass page the problem was I had checked the "follow roads" in the maps page, and because I had no map software in the unit it was trying to make a route. it should have the "off roads" checked if you have no mapping software. It took ages to figure out so this may save someone some frustrating times

Another question Guys

When the GPS is connected via USB is it getting power from the computer or the battery.

When I first got it there was no direction pointing arrow appearing on the compass page the problem was I had checked the "follow roads" in the maps page, and because I had no map software in the unit it was trying to make a route. it should have the "off roads" checked if you have no mapping software. It took ages to figure out so this may save someone some frustrating times

It's getting power from the battery. The GPSr requires more power than USB can handle.

Edited by Keykeeper
Another question Guys

It's getting power from the battery. The GPSr requires more power than USB can handle.

Actually USB could power the 60C but the mini USB connection it has does not carry power. Only the full size USB connectors carry power.

Another question Guys

Actually USB could power the 60C but the mini USB connection it has does not carry power. Only the full size USB connectors carry power.

It would be pushing the envelope, so to speak, to have a 60cs powered by USB. USB connected to a computer is limited to 100 ma. If you were using a 60cs with compass and the backlight on it would probably exceed 100 ma. It also calibrates the altimeter each time it is turned on. I guess you could turn off the compass and backlight each time you hooked to a computer and set the altimeter not to calibrate, but that would be a pain. Perhaps Garmin took that into consideration when the decision was made to use the mini USB ^_^

Edited by Keykeeper
This is something I have recently noticed when I shut down the GPS. It shows a horizontal line towards the top or the middle of the screen. It stays on for about a second and goes away. Is this a bad thing, or should I not even worry about it?

I would reload the latest version of the firmware, then see what happens. If the line stills appears on start and shutdown, I would call Garmin tech support. That doesn't appear to be normal behavior.

Can the 60CS display the temperature? I noticed that it had an option to set between Fahrenheit and Celcius, but can't find any screen that would display the temperature...if if there is no temperature, then what would the Fahrenheit/Celcius setting be needed for?

Can the 60CS display the temperature? I noticed that it had an option to set between Fahrenheit and Celcius, but can't find any screen that would display the temperature...if if there is no temperature, then what would the Fahrenheit/Celcius setting be needed for?

Does not do temperature. Choosing whether F or C must be for display on maps only. Perhaps the maps used for boating display temps. So you could choose how you wanted the temps to display on a map.

Or maybe the same firmware used with this model is used on another that does temp.

Edited by Keykeeper
Next question:

How can I tell what version of the firmware I have loaded on the 60cs? I notice that the Garmin web site has 3.4 and 3.42 beta. Which one would you  recommend?

Ver 3.4 has been tested, the 3.4.2 is a beta so you take your chances. I find that the beta is still worth using because it worked on Garmin tech supports GPSr and has the latest changes. There is always the chance that something will not work right on the tested version and the beta version. Garmin must be confident that it works or they wouldn't have released the beta. I'm using the beta and haven't noticed any problems. To check your version, turn the unit on, menu, menu, setup, system, menu, software version.

Edited by Keykeeper

The problem is in the 60CS, since it cannot find autorouting info, if I choose "follow road" I get a "error: no road near by..." and if I select "off road" it just plots me a straight line to the end point.

You need to download maps.

Can the basemap be changed?

No.

This is the first time I tried to answer two questions.

Ok, I went out and bought a new Garmin 60CS a few weeks ago. Unlike with my Legend you can go to the Compass page and get a pointer that points in the direction that I need to go to get to the GeoCache. When I use the 60CS I don't get a pointer, I get a blank compass and I have to use my Navigation page to get to the GeoCache. Now for my next problem. How do I set up my GPS for the Geocache Navigation like it is shown on page 37 in the manual?

Maybe these two things are tied together and I am just not doing something right can someone help me.

Thanks

Hugger Muggers

Does not do temperature. Choosing whether F or C must be for display on maps only. Perhaps the maps used for boating display temps. So you could choose how you wanted the temps to display on a map.

Or maybe the same firmware used with this model is used on another that does temp.

You can enter a menu on the 60CS by holding down the ENTER button while powering up the GPS. You have to shut down the GPS to get out of this menu.

Line 5 shows temperature. I guess it is in Celcius, and it doesn`t change if Farenheit is chosen in the setup menu.

How do I set up my GPS for the Geocache Navigation like it is shown on page 37 in the manual?

The first thing you have to do is make sure the Symbol (Icon) for the geocache is a closed treasure chest. This ensures you're using Geocahing mode. The first time I downloded waypoints from the PC, I had Blue Flags. You don't get the screen like on page 37 unless you are in Geocaching mode. When you click on "Find", it changes to a closed Treasure Chest. It also appears in the calendar.

BTW, what software version (hardware) are you using? (Menu, Menu, Setup, Enter, System, Enter, Menu, Software Version, Enter will tell you. Mine had 3.20 when I got it and it has 3.42 Beta now.

I have noticed on my 60cs that if I have the compass on, the pointer does not point in the direction that I am walking unless I turn the comapss off. Even calibrating the compass (which you need to do every time you change batteries) does not seem to help. Ideas? Or does this unit know me better than it should :blink::o:( ?

I have noticed on my 60cs that if I have the compass on, the pointer does not point in the direction that I am walking unless I turn the comapss off. Even calibrating the compass (which you need to do every time you change batteries) does not seem to help. Ideas? Or does this unit know me better than it should :blink::o:( ?

You will need to hold the unit at the same angle that you held it when calibrating. As soon as you see the 'hold level' message the compass reading is not accurate.

I typically leave the compass off until I am within 30-80 meters of a cache - then I turn it on to help with the slow motion movements...

Thanks Jotne for the quick reply. Follow up question: Is there an update version for the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager? Mine is version 2.00 Also, I have City Select North America v5 (unlocked) & v6 (unlocked). Is it a big deal to delete v5 and what is the proper way. Really don't think v5 is necessary any more.

Installed v3.42 firmware a couple of weeks ago and just noticed a bug. I get no elevation plo, just the pressure plot works. It worked before with v 3.4. Anybody else with Beta 3.42 notice this? No biggie, as I don't use it much (the Elevation page).

Could be you have the fixed elevation option on.

quest4cache,

If you have City Select, then there's no need to keep the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager installed as City Select has the Trip & Waypoint Manager functionality included. Garmin simply includes the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager CD with your GPSr so that you can work with your routes and waypoints on the PC (but it's mostly because they're too cheep to include a real set of maps ;)). As far as I know, version 2.00 of the MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager is the latest.

As for City Select v5... As soon as I installed the v6 update on my PC, I uninstalled the old v5 and v6 still works just fine (i.e. there's no need to keep v5 around once you have v6 installed). If your copy of v6 is an update, then you will need to install v5 prior to installing v6, but once v6 is installed, you can then go back and uninstall v5. v5 can be uninstalled via the Windows Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs applet.

I hope this helps some...

Edited by TheOfficeMaven

;)HELP ---HELP---HELP

I can't get my 60CS to receive waypoints. Can't figure out why. It has worked in the past. I've tried both USB and Serial connections, and tried MapSource, EasyGPS, and TOPO. All three identify the GPS with the connection, and say they have successfully uploaded the waypoints to the GPS. I have version 3.40 software on the GPS.

I'm leaving for NM tomorrow morning on a 12 day backpack trip and need the waypoints.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP WITH THIS...I'M STUMPED!!!

;)WELL, THIS IS ACTUALLY A DIFFERENT PROBLEM, PROBABLY MORE SIMPLE

turns out the waypoints are being transfered. The problem turned out that when I went to look at the waypoint list, it only showed my local waypoints (I live in Oregon.) Did not show the waypoints in New Mexico. I had to change the reference to get them to show up. Is there anyway to get the GPS to show all of my entered waypoints without moving the reference?

Whew, at least I found out the waypoints were being transfered!!!

thanks,

This is a great thread, I have read it all and I am copy and pasting info to a word processor for future reference.

On to my particular pain. I have a laptop (XP), I have SA2004, and I have the CS running the beta fim/software. I use easygps to load the CS via USB, but can't seem to find a way with either USB or serial (thru a USB to serial converter, my lap top does not have a serial port) to download from the CS to SA2004 the waypoints in the CS. Should I dump easygps and go to GSAK? Would that make the pain go away.

Also, while asking I might as well shoot for the moon, can I load SA2004 into the CS? The mapping software they send with the CS is really lame, could be losing them customers to Magellen.

I have lots of time to play with the laptop and CS connection because I am home bound until I can clear up the case of poision oak from the last caching trip. We are lucky here in Oklahoma, we have poision oak, ivy, shumack, snakes, ticks, chiggers, plasma bandits, and a host of stinging and sticking plants. All of which seem to love me dispite all precautions. Maybe Geocaching.com should have a rating for these as well as terrain and difficulty.

Thanks is advance,

Thumper ;):D:D

I see several questions about the red pointer on the compass of the 60cs. I had the same problem where I would be navigating to a geocache (using the Find -> Geocache functionality) and the bearing pointer would not appear. I also wouldn't get the Found, Note, Quit buttons under the compass either.

After playing around with it however I figured out what the problem was. I had changed my Routing settings to "follow the road". This is obviously not very conducive to looking for a geocache in a park or off a trail. If you change your Routing setting to "Off road" when looking for a Geocache then you'll get the red bearing pointer as well as the Found, Note, Quit options beneath the compass.

I think you have to be in "Off Road" mode in order to actually use the geocache functionality. Hope this helps.

i want one. i want one real bad but i just cant seem to justify the 60cs over the 60c.  is the compass really worth the money. i would most likly never use the altimeter. are those the only differences

It's a personal preference. However I love having the electronic compass and altimeter. I haven't used the altimeter for geocaching but it's great for hiking, biking, etc. Regarding the compass... I think it's invaluable for finding a cache. The GPSr will only give you a bearing if you're travelling at greater than 4 miles per hour. Below that you will get no directional information unless you have the electronic compass. When I'm within 50 feet or so of the cache... I know I'm not travelling over 4 mph so that's when the 60cs' compass kicks into gear and really helps out.

Installed v3.42 firmware a couple of weeks ago and just noticed a bug.  I get no elevation plo, just the pressure plot works.  It worked before with v 3.4.  Anybody else with Beta 3.42 notice this?  No biggie, as I don't use it much (the Elevation page).

Could be you have the fixed elevation option on.

Nope, variable. Must be a bug with 3.42.

Boy do I know how to kill a thread or what. Just asked a simple question about SA 2004 and the CS and everybody bales. Sorry I messed it up for all the others (and myself) that have been watching this thread for tidbits on the feeding a careing for the CS.

Thumper :)<_<:mad::D

To OKThumper:

I have pretty much the same configuration you have (Laptop, SA 2004, GC.com downloaded file and the 60cs) and here is what I do. Additionally I have a Belkin Serial to USB adapter.

GET GSAK BY ALL MEANS as once you learn to use it, you will never go without it:

I save the GPX file, open it with GSAK, save it in Street Atlas format to the DeLorme Draw folder AND use the option %drop2-%typ1 when exporting. Then import it in SA 2004 product and give it the Icon of your choice. Since I used the GSAK options I mentioned, I get a display of the cache like 'HB61-T' on the map, the GC is stripped, the - is what I put in and the 'T' is the cache type. That way when loaded into my 60cs it reduces clutter and if I don't have my Palm when I am driving around, I only go for the '-T' caches.

I then use SA 2004 to download the caches into the 60cs. This is where you need the serial to USB adapter. I have used both the Belkin and the Keyspan. You can also load directly to the 60cs from GSAK but I go through SA 2004 so I can see on the SA 2004 map which caches I loaded into the 60cs.

I agree the stock Garmin Mapsource product leaves a lot to be desired. SA 2004 is NOT downloadable (to the 60cs), I ended up buying Mapsource City Select North America from Garmin as a new release came out in July.

I also use GSAK and create a pdb file for the Palm so the Palm has the same waypoints as the 60cs, just in case I want to do a multiple or virtual.

Hope this helps....wornout

Edited by wornout