Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Just got my 60C and am trying to connect it to a Mac G4 PowerBook with OS X thru the USB port. I tried the USB cable at first thinking that since there was a USB port it should be recognized like all other USB devices. There was no connection established with the USB cable.  I then got a serial cable and a serial to com port adapter. I also bought MacGPS Pro because it seemed to support the 60C. I still can't get it to see the GPS unit. This site also said that the 60C will not work with the USB port because there are no USB drivers for Mac OS X yet.  It seems like the combination of devices I have are not meant to work together. Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks,

Don

I got my 60CS week ago and it CAN connect to MacGPS through serial cable and Keyspan USB serial adapter. I have PBG4 12 inch and iMac and it works on both. :o

Points to consider: You need the newest driver (download from www.keyspan.com). I don't have different type of adapter, so can't comment on it.

Make sure su set the right communication protocol in your 60C. For downloading/uploading of waypoints you need GARMIN protocol (Main Menu -> Setup->Interface->Serial Data Format->GARMIN), for real time display of data from the unit you need to change it to NMEA In/NMEA Out).

I played with this last time for the first time. If you have more questions, let me know.

Edited: Few typos

Edited by MilanO
%smart=20 %typ %con %dif/%ter

For the 60 series this is my favorite setting.  Gives you cache type (traditional, virtual, etc) and cache size (micro, large, etc.) plus difficulty and terrain.

I just started using GSAK. I finally figured how to send a file to Mapsource. When I opened it there, the symbols had been changed to airports and amusement parks. I noticed on the export page a place to check "Use same names as GPS send" which I tried to no avail. Isn't there a way to use the "Treasue Chest" open and closed symbols?

I'm not sure where the "Comments" field is since nothing in GSAK is called that.

One last thing; what is the "User Flag" column used for? I couldn't find anything in Help about it.

I know there's a separate thread regarding GSAK, but since Clyde and Robert both posted here, I will too. Besides; I started this thread as a "Catch-all" (Cache-all?) for 60CS questions.

1. GSAK allows you to set what ever symbol you like for your waypoints. You can select to set symbols by status (Found, Not Found, Placed, Archived), Type (Traditional, Multi, etc..) or a combination of both. The symbols for the “Treasure Chest” are “Geocaching” for the closed chest, and “Geocaching Found” for the open chest. When generating to MapSource uncheck the “Use same names as GPS send" then click on the change button to allow you to alter these symbols to your liking.

2. The comment field on the 60c is synonymous with the “Waypoint Description” in GSAK

3. The user Flag enables you to manually select individual waypoints to perform some action on (for example, to delete a group of waypoints or only send those waypoints to your GPS or Export to MapSoucre). You do this by setting the user flag (just click your mouse in the box) then set a filter on “User Flag” = Set. For more information also refer to item 8 of the GSAK FAQ here

Wait a sec, you can have 20 characters for the cache name? :o

Thanks for the other info Clyde. Garmin helped me with my other issue by having me uninstall MS 6.1 and go back to 5.4, but it helped.

Has anything been done by garmin to make better use of the note window? It seems it's limited to 1-1/2 lines but could be a lot more.

reposting this on the third page sorry for the duplication didnt want it to get lost.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ndpost&p=957506

After digging and digging I cannot seem to find how to change the waypoint options to list ALL waypoints. That is definitely the problem I am having, nto being able to see all the waypoints. If I go into the waypoints list, then hit "menu"my only options are, find by name, , select symbol, change reference, delete. when I go into the waypoints menu it automatically has the top one highlighted.

Also is there a way to hide waypoints by icon type? For instance I would love to load in the geocaches in my area. However in most cases I would not want to see those waypoints on the map, but I would like to see other waypoints. I understand adn can hide waypoints by map level as explained earlier in this thread. But I would like to see most of the waypoints I have, just not the caching ones until I go caching.

Thanks for the help

I have found the easiest way for me to manage waypoints is to open the GPX file (premium membership required) with GSAK.

Then we export to a Mapsource file using the waypoint name as %drop2. This strips the GC off of the waypoint name. We the export to a Palm file using the same %drop2.

We download the waypoints and needed maps to GPS60Cs by USB. And then sync the palm. This allows me to look at the GPSr and tell nonni what is our next cache and she can easily scroll to them with the GC no longer there.

Wait a sec, you can have 20 characters for the cache name? :(

Sure, GSAK will let you create a waypoint name of any length - but I am not sure if there is a limit in MapSource. Also, not the best idea to create a 20 character waypoint name if your GPS will only accept 10 character ones.

Perhpas someone can let us know what the waypoint name limit is, in the 60c.

After digging and digging I cannot seem to find how to change the waypoint options to list ALL waypoints. That is definitely the problem I am having, nto being able to see all the waypoints. If I go into the waypoints list, then hit "menu"my only options are, find by name, , select symbol, change reference, delete. when I go into the waypoints menu it automatically has the top one highlighted.

I believe I understand your question. The first thing to do is go in to the waypoint list menu and select "select symbol" and then highlite and choose "all symbols". Now when you do a find by name or by nearest it will use the complete list. If you at one point in a previous "find" session chose a particular symbol then the 60 will only search waypoints having that symbol until you change to another or the "all symbols".

Also too when you are looking for waypoints by "nearest", it will only give you a partial list based on a certain number or certain distance from location. I'm not sure what parameter is used. With mine I get approx. 50 waypoints out of 600 and ranging out to about 20 kilometers.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks, I've got that. What I'm wanting to do commonly when I look for waypoints in my waypoint list is to see ALL the waypoints in my waypoints list, regardless of distance away or name or type. It seems that if I choose all symbols, then nearest it only gives me a range of about 5 miles (maybe slightly more). I was at a waypoint only about 8.2-9 miles away and when I tried to select my home as a goto waypoint it wasnt in the list. Is there a way to define the "near waypoint" range? Maybe allow me to increase it to 20-50 miles? If I dont know the waypoint name for sure, or the icon type I'd like to be able to scroll through the complete list of my waypoints (even if its 500) and then select it from there.

Thanks for the help.

MH

Wait a sec, you can have 20 characters for the cache name?  :(

Sure, GSAK will let you create a waypoint name of any length - but I am not sure if there is a limit in MapSource. Also, not the best idea to create a 20 character waypoint name if your GPS will only accept 10 character ones.

Perhpas someone can let us know what the waypoint name limit is, in the 60c.

The Garmin 60c/60 cs will allow ten characters for a waypoint name.

The 60cs locked-up on me twice yesterday. Both times it was recalculating an auto-route when I decided to not follow the route set out by the unit.

Had to shut down and bring back up. Funny screen fading, etc. A week or so ago, the display screen went crazy, like the old TVs when the horizontal hold let go. Had to shut it off that time, too.

Have not lost any of the data in the unit when it happens, but it sure does make me nervous. Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Any thoughts about it? Thanks.

KeepOnTruckin

In case anyone is wondering, I emailed Garmin about being able to see all the waypoints in the list in the 60cs all at once instead of by nearest.you select find waypoint by name, then when the screen comes up to enter the name in, simply leave that blank and click ok. It will list all your waypoints in alphabetical order that way. I'm going to dl and enter some very distant waypoints and see how it works. Looks like I finally got it sorted out.

Thanks again for everyone that helped, and continue to help in the thread.

MH

The 60cs locked-up on me twice yesterday.  Both times it was recalculating an auto-route when I decided to not follow the route set out by the unit.

KeepOnTruckin

As a matter of fact my 60c has done the same thing under similar circumstances.  I just downloaded the new firmware, I'll let you know if this clears it up.  I am using MAPSOURCE USA....  What are you using?

Am using MapSource North American City Select v5, along with MapSource US Topo, and firmware 3.40. (will be getting the new Beta version soon)

KoT

In case anyone is wondering, I emailed Garmin about being able to see all the waypoints in the list in the 60cs all at once instead of by nearest.you select find waypoint by name, then when the screen comes up to enter the name in, simply leave that blank and click ok. It will list all your waypoints in alphabetical order that way. I'm going to dl and enter some very distant waypoints and see how it works. Looks like I finally got it sorted out.

Thanks again for everyone that helped, and continue to help in the thread.

MH

Just so you know when the keyboard comes up instead of clicking over and selecting okay you can just hit the quit button to get rid of the keyboard.

ARGH!

Anyone else install the new Beta 3.41 software? While some of the feature adds in the changelog look promising... I JUST discovered a problem. I don't know how many of you use the "calendar" feature - but I find that when I'm on a major caching spree, this handy feature helps me keep track of my "finds" (in case I forget to mark them in CacheMate). So, I'm trying to finish logging a recent outing to Modesto... and after an upgrade this morning to the new firmware, went to the calendar, and...

It's all GONE! I thought for a moment: "Well, maybe the upgrade just wiped the record of found caches" - so I went through the exercise of "finding" another... and it doesn't show in the calendar.

I'm preparing for an epic road trip up to Oregon, and will definitely miss this 'feature'. I'll drop Garmin a line about it, and hopefully they'll fix it in the release version. In the meantime - I may downgrade to the previous (3.40) version, as it was working fine for me.

Just an FYI...

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I have had my 60cs for 1 week now. Downloaded 250 waypoints from GSAK. Not using any map software yet (exported form GSAK to Mapsource to 60CS). Today while I was caching, I knew I was within 1 mile of a cache and pressed find waypoint and it wasn't in the scroll list. It had a name "42" which I wonder if that's the problem. I then noticed that there were only 50 waypoints I could scroll through. Is 50 the limit, even though it will hold 500. Is that the closest 50 to you? I checked later and could see the "42" on the map screen with all of there 250.

Muir this sounds EXACTLY like the problem I had. If you scroll up a couple you'll see the post I discuss about it.

The best thing to do is to hit find, waypoints. Then in the waypoints section hit menu select find by name. Once the page is up hit quit to clear the alphabet and you will then be able to scroll through all the waypoints in your gps.

Hope this helps

MH

I just "tested my newly acquired 27C external antennae. Put it into the secret compartment of my Tilley hat, ran the cord to my 60cs, and headed into the thickest woods around. I put the GPSr into my pocket, which is about the worse scenario I could think of. The usual beeping of the signal being lost never occurred. Each time I pulled it out to check, there were 5 moderate to strong satellites showing. If I disconnected the external and held the unit as usual, it would immediately drop to 2 or 3 weak to moderate. Putting it into my pocket got the immediate lost signal. This is going to be fun when I go group caching!

Have any of you tried the Beta firmware (3.41 and 3.42)? I did and I liked it at first until I noticed that I had no calendar entries. At least mine didn't lock up or shut sown like some guys did. 3.42 appears to have fixed this; i can see finds from several days ago (before I loaded 3.42).

Keeping back light on when you power up.

How do you keep your display settings for the back light when you power up your 60C? In display I have changed the setting of the back light to "Stay On". But when I power off and then turn the GPS back on it is dark and I have to hit the top button to have it back light to 40% (my setting). Thanks in advance.

Keeping back light on when you power up.

How do you keep your display settings for the back light when you power up your 60C? In display I have changed the setting of the back light to "Stay On". But when I power off and then turn the GPS back on it is dark and I have to hit the top button to have it back light to 40% (my setting). Thanks in advance.

I have the 76cs but it is the same firmware I'd imagine....

Main Menu

...Setup

...Display

...Backlight level

Press the power button until the level you want to adjust is displayed. Then alter the level by using the rocker key.

The change should be permanent.

Tubby Rower, changed the backlight level to 40% but when I power down and then power up the 60C the backlight level changes to 0%. If I tap the power button it comes on at the 40% level I earlier set. This tells me that the 60C won't come on with the backlight. Anybody know for sure? :)

Tubby Rower, changed the backlight level to 40% but when I power down and then power up the 60C the backlight level changes to 0%. If I tap the power button it comes on at the 40% level I earlier set. This tells me that the 60C won't come on with the backlight. Anybody know for sure? :)

I believe this is the case. My 60cs remembers 40% or my last selection whenever the backlight is again selected. Although I haven't checked yet, I believe if you select "stays on" and power off. Upon powering on with battery, the backlight will be off until you activate it using the pwr switch or menu. Then it stays on until you turn it off again. If you power on with an AC power cord, the unit remembers your backlight setting and comes on at that setting. -- That's probably about as clear as mud. B)

Tubby Rower, changed the backlight level to 40% but when I power down and then power up the 60C the backlight level changes to 0%.  If I tap the power button it comes on at the 40% level I earlier set.  This tells me that the 60C won't come on with the backlight.  Anybody know for sure?  :)

I believe this is the case. My 60cs remembers 40% or my last selection whenever the backlight is again selected. Although I haven't checked yet, I believe if you select "stays on" and power off. Upon powering on with battery, the backlight will be off until you activate it using the pwr switch or menu. Then it stays on until you turn it off again. If you power on with an AC power cord, the unit remembers your backlight setting and comes on at that setting. -- That's probably about as clear as mud. B)

Roger that........

I have a question.

In the Map Setup menu,second icon over is Mapsetup Tracks ,there is a Track Points adjustable window. It's the third one down. You can change the number of track points.

How does this affect track points,tracks, data,? If anything.

I believe it was defaulted to 3000. I changed it to 10000 just to be sure it will use all if needed.

Capt.

Edited by capt caper
I think it’s the amount of track points to be shown at the map page. You have 10000 track points even if you only show 3000 of them.

You are 100% correct.

I first had it at 3000 and watched the trail disappear behind me on the map while I was hiking a 10 mile loop... I didn't figure out what was going on during the hike (the track log showed more than 50% free...) but at home I changed it to 10000 and saw my whole hike...

OK, I have read this thread and learned a lot so far. Two things here that I didn't see in the threads--First, There is a problem with the GPSBable "under the hood" in GSAK that is being worked on by the GPSBabel people. The problem doesn't allow for USB transfer of waypoints, which is a drag since that is the only cable I have. It is of interest, though, because I thought I read where one of the posters said that he had uploaded using GSAK and USB.

Secondly--do any of you know if it is possible to get a cable to transfer Cachemate data from a PDA, specifically Clie, to a 60C? Would this be but a little slice of heaven?

Secondly--do any of you know if it is possible to get a cable to transfer Cachemate data from a PDA, specifically Clie, to a 60C?  Would this be but a little slice of heaven?

This will require a custom cable as most PDAs use custom connectors for their "USB" sync cable, and the Garmin USB connector is definitly custom. I have been looking for one for the IPAQ 2200 series to my 76C without luck. I think I have a solution, but haven't tried it yet. I am going to get a IPAQ 2200 series sync cable (one that doesn't use the cradle) and a USB male to male Gender changer to connect that to my 76's USB Cable. This is on schedule for tomorrow, unless Frys is open today. I'll let you know if it works.

:o

Secondly--do any of you know if it is possible to get a cable to transfer Cachemate data from a PDA, specifically Clie, to a 60C?  Would this be but a little slice of heaven?

This will require a custom cable as most PDAs use custom connectors for their "USB" sync cable, and the Garmin USB connector is definitly custom. I have been looking for one for the IPAQ 2200 series to my 76C without luck. I think I have a solution, but haven't tried it yet. I am going to get a IPAQ 2200 series sync cable (one that doesn't use the cradle) and a USB male to male Gender changer to connect that to my 76's USB Cable. This is on schedule for tomorrow, unless Frys is open today. I'll let you know if it works.

The Garmin USB cable is the same cable as the Sony Clie PDA cable and a Sony Digital Camera Cable, its a USB mini-B Connector at the small end.

f3_1_b.JPG

Edited by GOT GPS?

The Garmin USB cable is the same cable as the Sony Clie PDA cable and a Sony Digital Camera Cable, its a USB mini-B Connector at the small end.

Thanks, GOT GPS?, I was at the electronics store today for the gender changer and a sync cable and saw a USB to Camera cable that looked exactly like the Garmin USB Cable, wasn't sure if the wiring was the same. Found the gender cable but no sync cable ofor the 2215 that I have. Used the gender cable and the cradle, but didn't get it to work yet. Only tried it with Street Atlas 2004 Hand Held so haven't given up yet.

:D

Edited by LordSaw

Perhaps newer Clie's have "mini-USB" but mine only has the connector that sits on the cradle--it appears as if it has 13 pins/connectors. I suppose a better question for the forum would be "What can you do when the 60 and the Clie are connected?--What sorts of programs transfer the data--Cachemate?

Mapping Issue:

I have loaded into the 60cs the City Select v5 and US Topos for the areas of New England where I travel.

But when I do a find by Cities, many of the smaller towns do not show up. When I do a find by all POIs, and put in the name of the town, many POIs starting with the name of the town will show up, ie., Town School Department, Town, MA, or Town Bakery, Town, MA. Why not the town itself in the City search?

They show up by the town name in the find/city area of the MapSource software in the computer, but not in the GPS unit.

Did I not put the mapset together properly when readying for loading into the unit? Is a setting off re: size of municipalities or something? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

KeepOnTruckin

I am a new 60cs user and I do love the GPS'r. I found I don't know how to change the default icon for waypoints that have been exported to the 60cs, they come up with the blue flag which I remember setting when I was going through the 60cs, now I can't find that screen.

Here is my scenario: I receive gpx files from geocacing.com. I use GSAK to strip off the 'GC' and export them to SA 2004 along with the one letter type and the geocache name. Then I import them to SA 2004 after setting the file icon to the closed treasure chest. Next, I use SA 2004 to exchange those waypoints to my 60cs. When the waypoints display on my SA 2004 may, they are closed treasure chests, after I export them to the 60cs, they are blue flags! I can not find the answer in the manual.

This was really a question for Garmin but since this is such an excellent board, I posted it here. Thanks for any help you can probide.

I am a new 60cs user and I do love the GPS'r. I found I don't know how to change the default icon for waypoints that have been exported to the 60cs, they come up with the blue flag which I remember setting when I was going through the 60cs, now I can't find that screen.

Here is my scenario: I receive gpx files from geocacing.com. I use GSAK to strip off the 'GC' and export them to SA 2004 along with the one letter type and the geocache name. Then I import them to SA 2004 after setting the file icon to the closed treasure chest. Next, I use SA 2004 to exchange those waypoints to my 60cs. When the waypoints display on my SA 2004 may, they are closed treasure chests, after I export them to the 60cs, they are blue flags! I can not find the answer in the manual.

This was really a question for Garmin but since this is such an excellent board, I posted it here. Thanks for any help you can probide.

I've done something a bit more basic:

I downloaded GPSBabel to convert .loc files to .wpt files (use PCX5 format, but rename as .wpt). Then, use the Garmin Waypoint manager & import the .wpt file; right click on the waypoint, and assign the "geocache" icon to it.

When you save the waypoint to the 60C(S), it keeps the right icon.

I am a new 60cs user and I do love the GPS'r.  I found I don't know how to change the default icon for waypoints that have been exported to the 60cs, they come up with the blue flag which I remember setting when I was going through the 60cs, now I can't find that screen.

Here is my scenario:  I receive gpx files from geocacing.com.  I use GSAK to strip off the 'GC' and export them to SA 2004 along with the one letter type and the geocache name.  Then I import them to SA 2004 after setting the file icon to the closed treasure chest.  Next, I use SA 2004 to exchange those waypoints to my 60cs.  When the waypoints display on my SA 2004 may, they are closed treasure chests, after I export them to the 60cs, they are blue flags!  I can not find the answer in the manual.

This was really a question for Garmin but since this is such an excellent board, I posted it here.  Thanks for any help you can probide.

First, make sure your GPSr icons are set to geocahe; Menu,Menu,Setup,Geocache. Then set the 'find' icon to treasure chest and the 'found' icon to open treasure chest.

Using GSAK, import your waypoints, then File, Export, MapSource MPS File. Here you want to change all GPS symbols to geocache. Then Export to GPSr.

MapSource will import as geocache and send to GPSr as geocahe. Now they will show on the geocache waypoint list on the GPSr.

Edited by Keykeeper

OK, Keykeeper that worked. I was trying to do it without Mapsource, since the one that ships with the $500 Garmin 60cs is pretty lame. I did, and don't we all, have to order a good mapping product from Garmin even tough I have SA 2004 and SA Topo 2004, what a duplication! City Select NA V6 is on its' way. Thanks again, wornout

I to just got my 60cs on the 28th :-) My question is how do you download the way points into the geocaching page only?  Im using easygps to download my way points, But it seems that when you download waypoints it goes to the waypoint page great.  Once I change the Icon for geocaching they show up on the geocahcing page as well. Now I have the waypoints on two different pages.  If you try to delet the waypoints they delet on both pages WHY!!!!!  Can't you just download to the geocaching page only? Does anybody out there know the little trick that IM over looking?  Thank for all the support.

:lol: Yes. when you download them to Easygps, change the icon in Easygps first to the closed treasure chest for each waypoint then upload them to your GPS. This will place them in your Geocaching page and not in the waypoint page. Happy caching. :)

I can't seem to find the "closed treasure chest" in Easygps symbols drop down list :blink: I have the latest version of Easygps. Any tips?

I to just got my 60cs on the 28th :-) My question is how do you download the way points into the geocaching page only?  Im using easygps to download my way points, But it seems that when you download waypoints it goes to the waypoint page great.  Once I change the Icon for geocaching they show up on the geocahcing page as well. Now I have the waypoints on two different pages.  If you try to delet the waypoints they delet on both pages WHY!!!!!  Can't you just download to the geocaching page only? Does anybody out there know the little trick that IM over looking?  Thank for all the support.

:( Yes. when you download them to Easygps, change the icon in Easygps first to the closed treasure chest for each waypoint then upload them to your GPS. This will place them in your Geocaching page and not in the waypoint page. Happy caching. :P

I can't seem to find the "closed treasure chest" in Easygps symbols drop down list :( I have the latest version of Easygps. Any tips?

Import your waypoints into EasyGPS. Then highlight one waypoint, 'CTRL A' to select all, right click on a waypoint, edit waypoints, select the 'geocache' icon, OK. That's it.

:( Yes. when you download them to Easygps, change the icon in Easygps first to the closed treasure chest for each waypoint then upload them to your GPS. This will place them in your Geocaching page and not in the waypoint page. Happy caching. :(

I can't seem to find the "closed treasure chest" in Easygps symbols drop down list :P I have the latest version of Easygps. Any tips?

Import your waypoints into EasyGPS. Then highlight one waypoint, 'CTRL A' to select all, right click on a waypoint, edit waypoints, select the 'geocache' icon, OK. That's it.

I'm downloading these waypionts straight from the Geocaching site to Easygps v 1.3.7, highlighting a waypoint, editing a waypoint and using a drop down list to select a symbol/icon.

There is no "Geocache" icon! No open or closed treasure chest. Only icons like default, greenday, red day, rock, fish, house, tree etc.