Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

The one thing that was a little odd was the way it handles geocaches. I thought they would be seperated somehow and you would bring up the screen when you found them. From the directions it looks as if you are shown the 'found' screen only after you get close enough to the cache. Is this correct?

You can pick any cache and use the 'goto' function (off road) and it will let you select 'found'. Then it shows you the next closest cache to your current location.

OK, after a bit of research, I discovered 3.30 was the latest.  I downloaded it and got it installed sucessfully, despite having had a few cold ones before hand. :unsure:

Garmin has released 3.40 on June 8th. If you'd like to keep on top of current versions, if you go to Garmin's Website and select the Support (Software Updates) pulldown, it will take you to a list of current versions for all Garmin SW. When you click on your particular unit, after you accept their terms & conditions, it will allow you to download the latest. It will also give you the option (in the upper right corner) of requesting email notification when new versions are released.

bryan

Garmin has released 3.40 on June 8th.  If you'd like to keep on top of current versions, if you go to Garmin's Website and select the Support (Software Updates) pulldown, it will take you to a list of current versions for all Garmin SW.  When you click on your particular unit, after you accept their terms & conditions, it will allow you to download the latest.  It will also give you the option (in the upper right corner) of requesting email notification when new versions are released.

Thanks Bryan! I did download 3.4, but looked unsuccessfully for a way to receive e-mail notification. Now I'm all set! :unsure:

Thanks Bryan! I did download 3.4, but looked unsuccessfully for a way to receive e-mail notification. Now I'm all set! :unsure:

If you go to the Updates page at http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp you'll see a link in the top right to Receive Update E-mail which takes you to http://announcements.garmin.com/mailman/listinfo/ where you can select the model(s) you'd like to be notified of.

Specifically for the 60CS it takes you to http://announcements.garmin.com/mailman/li...map60cs-updates where you then provide your info.

David

I've had mine for less than 24 hours this thread is been useful. I've upgraded to3.30 to 3.40. I've gotton the new version of easy gps. The thing I can't figure out is how to download gpx files eveytime I try I get loc. files I am a premium member I need to fill this puppy up the weekend is almost here.

On the bottom of your pocket query page there is a pulldown option to select .loc or .gpx files ("In the format". You can also request that the site compress the file before sending (the checkbox is "Compress files into *.zip format (recommended)"). This results in a smaller file being sent (which helps on a slower link), it also fixes a problem where some mail systems will block the .gpx attachments.....

Now go load up and have fun this weekend!

bryan

I too just received my Garmis 60cs yesterday. I had trouble using easygps to download my Geocache waypoints using the USA so I went to GSAK and was able to download them using the serial cable I was using with my etrek and GPS III. I never did get the USB cable to work with easygps since I was running an older version.

It is now time to decide if the I should purchase the Garmin Topo product, to download Topo Maps for geocaching, to my 60cs. :lol: My question is: is the Garmin Topo product as good, for the 60cs, as the Delorme Topo 5 was for my PC? :lol: If you have experience with BOTH products, I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks :unsure:

I only have experience with Garmin's Topo Maps while using my eTrex Legend. They did add some nice detail, but slowed the Legend down too much. The contour lines were very useful as well for planning the route in. Is there a utility to pull screenshots from the 60c/cs?

I too have only used the Garmin Topo mapset. Within the 60cs I currently have both TOPO and City Select North America for the same area. The ability to switch between the two is really nice and there is enough memory in the 60cs to allow reasonable coverage with both mapsets. Granted, you can only view one mapset at a time but the switch is relatively easy. If I haven't told everyone, I'm really impressed with the 60cs. All the things that weren't quite right about the eTrex Vista, they fixed in the 60cs. :lol:

I've tried your post out about highlighting the waypoint and right clicking selecting properties how ever there is no property option once you right click.

:huh: Oh, sorry, I get my directions mixed up sometimes. Right click on the waypoint and select EDIT WAYPOINT. :huh:

This was working for me successfully a few days ago, but now I only get the old waypoint icon list! I feel like I'm going crazy! Have double-checked that I didn't accidentally revert to some older version of EasyGPS (thankfully, I have not), but cannot figure out what the heck is going on.

On a side note, took the 60CS on it's maiden voyage yesterday and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! :( I am sure there will be much fine-tuning in the weeks to come, but thanks to this thread I think I'm off to a good start.

Got my 60CS in the mail today  :huh: but now cannot figure out which model I need to choose on EasyGPS....I can't find 60CS as an option.  Help!

I too am looking for the best software combination to use with my 60. :huh: Easygps does not support USB and using a beta version of expertgps I was not able to upload description of cache. Is it possible to go paperless with a 60 and no PDA?

Got my 60C yesterday, and loaded CitySelect v5. Was wondering if there is a way to enter an address into the GPS while on the road. I found how to do it in the mapsource software, but Thought it would be very handy If I could do it while I was out.

A friend has the GPS V and I could have sworn that his could do this.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Got my 60C yesterday, and loaded CitySelect v5. Was wondering if there is a way to enter an address into the GPS while on the road. I found how to do it in the mapsource software, but Thought it would be very handy If I could do it while I was out.

A friend has the GPS V and I could have sworn that his could do this.

Anyone know if this is possible?

When you do a find there should be an icon with the text under it saying find by address.

How can you do a mass delete of all waypoints in the 60? I just realized I am always cleaning up my "Master Map" that has all of my waypoints after I rename them. But every time I transfer the old ones come back out of the GPS.

Am I the only one an@l about keeping my waypoints properly named and sorted?

Sure hope I do not have to do it one at a time!

Gwagg

Got my 60CS in the mail today  :) but now cannot figure out which model I need to choose on EasyGPS....I can't find 60CS as an option.  Help!

I too am looking for the best software combination to use with my 60. :bad: Easygps does not support USB and using a beta version of expertgps I was not able to upload description of cache. Is it possible to go paperless with a 60 and no PDA?

Actually, easyGPS *does* support USB. Make sure you have the most current version and then when you configure in a new GPSr it will have options for the newer units like the 60CS. Then when you select that GPSr as a destination, it will have a checkbox for using the USB. It is a tremendous improvement when loading 1000 wpts....

Have fun!

bryan

Anybody have an problems downloading waypoints using EasyGPS? When using the USB cable I capture about three or four waypoints from the receiver and then I get an error 22. Communication error. I have the lastest versions of software on both. I have no problems sending data to the unit.

Thanks

:tongue: You can't upload or download between easyGPS and the GPS unit using USB. Only serial communication is supported at present. You must use MapSource software for USB transfer or you can use EasyGPS for serial transfer.

I too have only used the Garmin Topo mapset. Within the 60cs I currently have both TOPO and City Select North America for the same area. The ability to switch between the two is really nice and there is enough memory in the 60cs to allow reasonable coverage with both mapsets. Granted, you can only view one mapset at a time but the switch is relatively easy.

How do you switch between Topo and City Select if you have both loaded for a certain area?

I installed the USB driver at least twice, but I still get error messages after I try to upload waypoints from the 60CS toEasyGPS. It works fine sending from the PC to the 60CS. Any ideas?

:tongue: What am I missing here? I have the latest version of EasyGPS and it doesn't recognize my 60CS using USB. I don't see that EasyGPS is compatible with USB yet. Am I wrong? Tell me how if not. My version of EasyGPS is 1.3.7

:tongue: What am I missing here?  I have the latest version of EasyGPS and it doesn't recognize my 60CS using USB.  I don't see that EasyGPS is compatible with USB yet.  Am I wrong?  Tell me how if not.  My version of EasyGPS is 1.3.7

There are a couple of other threads about EasyGPS and USB floating around as well.... take a look at "Software Like Easygps With Usb" (GPX files to Garmin Map76CS thru USB). I posted a note there about configuring in your GPSr and there may be some other useful info as well:

"Don't forget to make sure that you have configured EasyGPS to include your GPSr. With File->Preferences, on the My GPS Receivers tab, Click the Add GPS button and then find a selection for the 60CS (if you don't have it, you may need to update to a more recent version of the software like 1.3.7). When you have added that GPSr, you can check the Settings button as previously mentioned to use the USB interface. That option would be greyed-out for older models that don't support USB."

Hope this helps!

bryan

I too have only used the Garmin Topo mapset.  Within the 60cs I currently have both TOPO and City Select North America for the same area.  The ability to switch between the two is really nice and there is enough memory in the 60cs to allow reasonable coverage with both mapsets.  Granted, you can only view one mapset at a time but the switch is relatively easy.

How do you switch between Topo and City Select if you have both loaded for a certain area?

From the map setup menu, select the information icon.

Select menu, then select "Show US TOPO".

That should switch to the installed TOPO sections.

Use this menu to select the other choices.

From the information icon you can check or uncheck

individual map sections by scrolling up or down and

checking / unchecking the blocks.

Hope this helps.

Wild_Bill

I have about half of Texas loaded, but it only shows one area (with a check box). It looks like it might be the last area I selected to download from City Select.

Is there a way to add another map without overwriting the ones you already have loaded?

I too have only used the Garmin Topo mapset.  Within the 60cs I currently have both TOPO and City Select North America for the same area.  The ability to switch between the two is really nice and there is enough memory in the 60cs to allow reasonable coverage with both mapsets.  Granted, you can only view one mapset at a time but the switch is relatively easy.

From the map setup menu, select the information icon.

Select menu, then select "Show US TOPO".

That should switch to the installed TOPO sections.

Use this menu to select the other choices.

Hope this helps.

Wild_Bill

Thanks Wild Bill! That works great. I cant believe what this 60cs will do. How do they fit all that info into that little package? I am constantly amazed.

Mike

I only have experience with Garmin's Topo Maps while using my eTrex Legend.  They did add some nice detail, but slowed the Legend down too much.  The contour lines were very useful as well for planning the route in.  Is there a utility to pull screenshots from the 60c/cs?

Yes

its G7ToWin.exe

http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

I tried to download the file but it won't open. An error window comes up and say's something about a unspecified path.

Anybody have an problems downloading waypoints using EasyGPS? When using the USB cable I capture about three or four waypoints from the receiver and then I get an error 22. Communication error. I have the lastest versions of software on both. I have no problems sending data to the unit.

Thanks

:blink: You can't upload or download between easyGPS and the GPS unit using USB. Only serial communication is supported at present. You must use MapSource software for USB transfer or you can use EasyGPS for serial transfer.

This is not true. I use EasyGPS to download and upload over 300 waypoints at a time via the USB with my 60cs. I am not sure why Cyjo is having problems with uploading. I have noticed that my computer seems to lose the usb drivers for the 60cs and I have to reinstall them.

-Scott

I only have experience with Garmin's Topo Maps while using my eTrex Legend.  They did add some nice detail, but slowed the Legend down too much.  The contour lines were very useful as well for planning the route in.  Is there a utility to pull screenshots from the 60c/cs?

Yes

its G7ToWin.exe

I tried to download the file but it won't open. An error window comes up and say's something about a unspecified path.

Create a Folder on your computer called GPS, in the MY Documents folder, and open up the zipped file, and you would copy and paste those files to that folder. Then in that new GPS, folder, click the G7ToWin.exe file with the right mouse button and drag it to your desktop as a shortcut.(Be careful)

Example new screen for the 60/76

Removed topline (Option for on/off)

Change field, so that letter is shadowed on top of the map.

PS info sent to Garmin  (Fart=Speed, norwegian)

transparent2.jpg

Is this a software update? If so what version?

It,s version 4.35 :blink:

This is what I whant in a future version :lol:

Example new screen for the 60/76

Removed topline (Option for on/off)

Change field, so that letter is shadowed on top of the map.

PS info sent to Garmin  (Fart=Speed, norwegian)

transparent2.jpg

Is this a software update? If so what version?

It,s version 4.35 :blink:

This is what I whant in a future version :lol:

Have you sent in these requests to Garmin?

Yes

its G7ToWin.exe

Create a Folder on your computer called GPS, in the MY Documents folder, and open up the zipped file, and you would copy and paste those files to that folder. Then in that new GPS, folder, click the G7ToWin.exe file with the right mouse button and drag it to your desktop as a shortcut.(Be careful)

Thanks that worked.

I don't know why xp doesn't open it auto for me. But anyway,thanks.

My 60CS with 3.40 has an annoying feature. After being turned off it forgets the level of backlight. So you have (in the dark) blindly go to the display menu to reactivate it.

Is this unique to my unit?

Thanks in advance

Uwe

:o Turn the unit on, then press the on/off button a second time. The backlight will come on and the level meter will appear, hit enter to turn the meter off.

Edited by Keykeeper

Well I took my 60cs out for its intital run at some local caches. I am running 3.4 and city select 6. I realized I still have so much to learn about it but was very impressed. I loaded about 40MB of maps of the north texas area into it from city select. I then decided to load about 200-250 waypoints of local caches dl through geocaching.com in gpx files with my membership. I then uploaded them from easygps. At that point I had only had one other waypoint, my home. ( I had deleted garmins taiwan waypoint) I showed all the waypoints in the file on easygps. But when I scrolled through the waypooints in the waypoint screen on my 60cs, I saw only half or less. Whats more, my home waypoint was no longer listed. I could see it on the map when I scolled over the area, but it was not seen in the waypoint list. I had my home wpt with a green flag, and all the other wpts with the geocache icon. I deleted all waypoints (in case I had accidentally put in a huge number) then uploaded them again. When I dl'd from geocaching.com I would click on the box to check all caches on the pages, then download them. I did 10 pages like that, since there were so many nearby. Each cache seemed to onl have one waypoint in gps (which it should be) I would be out and add a waypoint, and the previously added waypoint would disapear from the list also. Now if I deleted some waypoints, I could see previosuly added, and unseen waypoints again listed in the waypoints list.

Am I missing something here or is there a limit to how many waypoints could be listed in the waypoint list? The waypoint file that I uploaded shows to only be 36kb so having enough memory space "shouldnt" be an issue.

Thanks for the help, its a steep learning curve with the 60cs, easy gps, city select6, even after fully reading and going over these forums before I got my 60cs.

MH

loading to the geocahing page using easygps

first, get rid of easygps

next get gsak (geocaching swiss army knife)

it will allow you to set the icon of all waypoints on export. as well as build the names. for in stance i prefer a 10 character name code that is derived from the actual cache name to the gc number. much easier to read. for instance "along the creek" would load as "alongthecr" easier to differenciate from other caches than when it's named gccb79.

from gsak export to mapsource mps and you're golder.

my 2 cents

Edited by zombie tribe

it will allow you to set the icon of all waypoints on export. as well as build the names. for in stance i prefer a 10 character name code that is derived from the actual cache name to the gc number. much easier to read. for instance "along the creek" would load as "alongthecr" easier to differenciate from other caches than when it's named gccb79.

my 2 cents

I actually prefer the geocaching.com designations ie. gccb79. Many teams use their team name in the beginning of each cache. I would end up with many different caches being named the same thing. The gccb79 type names work much better to uniquely identify each cache.

-Scott

my 2 cents

I actually prefer the geocaching.com designations ie. gccb79. Many teams use their team name in the beginning of each cache. I would end up with many different caches being named the same thing. The gccb79 type names work much better to uniquely identify each cache.

-Scott

When using the "smart name" feature of GSAK it makes sure it generates a unique name, even if the first 10 characters of the cache name are the same. It will also preserve numbers in the "smart name" even if they are in the middle of the cache or at the end.

For example caches with the names:

"A long way to the top - cache #1"

"A long way to the top - cache #2"

"The little red box 5 - platinum series"

"The little red box 6 - platinum series"

"My first cache - in the bush"

"My first cache - in the wild"

Generate "smart names" of (10 characters, but this can be set to any length):

ALongWayT1

ALongWayT2

TheLittle5

TheLittle6

MyFirstCa1

MyFirstCa2

GSAK also lets you build your waypoint code using special tags (of which the "smart name" is only one of them) so you can still preserve the geocaching.com ID if you need it. This enables you to build a waypoint code that instantly designates the cache type, difficulty, terrain, etc. More information on these special tags can be found here

my 2 cents

-Scott

Leave the cache name as GC#####, then use the comment field for:

%smart=20 %typ %con %dif/%ter

For the 60 series this is my favorite setting. Gives you cache type (traditional, virtual, etc) and cache size (micro, large, etc.) plus difficulty and terrain.

%smart=20 %typ %con %dif/%ter

For the 60 series this is my favorite setting. Gives you cache type (traditional, virtual, etc) and cache size (micro, large, etc.) plus difficulty and terrain.

I just started using GSAK. I finally figured how to send a file to Mapsource. When I opened it there, the symbols had been changed to airports and amusement parks. I noticed on the export page a place to check "Use same names as GPS send" which I tried to no avail. Isn't there a way to use the "Treasue Chest" open and closed symbols?

I'm not sure where the "Comments" field is since nothing in GSAK is called that.

One last thing; what is the "User Flag" column used for? I couldn't find anything in Help about it.

I know there's a separate thread regarding GSAK, but since Clyde and Robert both posted here, I will too. Besides; I started this thread as a "Catch-all" (Cache-all?) for 60CS questions.

Just got my 60C and am trying to connect it to a Mac G4 PowerBook with OS X thru the USB port. I tried the USB cable at first thinking that since there was a USB port it should be recognized like all other USB devices. There was no connection established with the USB cable. I then got a serial cable and a serial to com port adapter. I also bought MacGPS Pro because it seemed to support the 60C. I still can't get it to see the GPS unit. This site also said that the 60C will not work with the USB port because there are no USB drivers for Mac OS X yet. It seems like the combination of devices I have are not meant to work together. Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks,

Don

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ndpost&p=957506

After digging and digging I cannot seem to find how to change the waypoint options to list ALL waypoints. That is definitely the problem I am having, nto being able to see all the waypoints. If I go into the waypoints list, then hit "menu"my only options are, find by name, , select symbol, change reference, delete. when I go into the waypoints menu it automatically has the top one highlighted.

Also is there a way to hide waypoints by icon type? For instance I would love to load in the geocaches in my area. However in most cases I would not want to see those waypoints on the map, but I would like to see other waypoints. I understand adn can hide waypoints by map level as explained earlier in this thread. But I would like to see most of the waypoints I have, just not the caching ones until I go caching.

Thanks for the help