Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

I've been out with 3 geocaching friends and we managed to do 131 in a day up in San Jose -- that was a record we set in California a few years ago. That was beat within a few weeks by another group. And it was easily surpassed some months ago by another cacher who managed to rack up over 200 in a day. It takes A LOT of route planning before you even leave your house. NO Multi's. NO puzzle caches unless they are already solved and the coords are confirmed previously by e-mail with the cache owner. NO trinket trading (no spending time rummaging through the cache looking for anything to trade). NO signing the logbook unless you HAVE TO because of its size -- otherwise, we print up lots and lots of stickers and just slap them on the log book. It really is a whirlwind event -- get up early, start caching before sunup. Bring lots of car snacks. Maybe a QUICK stop for lunch somewhere -- but very quick. Same for dinner. We did our 131 starting at around 4:00 a.m., finished at midnight, and we wasted a good half hour on ONE particular cache where we refused to just say "let it go, man!" That hurt us. Even with route planning prior to the event, having an auto-routing GPS like the 60CS has proved time and time again to be one of the biggest advantages of getting around town.

Firehouse16

My 60CS is dying! OK here's the deal. During as mega caching spree the other day (144 find!) all of a sudden my 60CS's buttons wouldn't work. So I reboot, take the batteries out, beat it a bit. After about an hour it starts working again! Woohoo!

I went out the other day and after about 11 hours of caching we only could find 11. I can see maybe 15 but how in the world did you get 144?

No life maybe.JK, there's no way, even if they are all placed say in the same park etc.

Edited by stantastic
The Garmin 60c/60 cs will allow ten characters for a waypoint name.
I was just reading through the FAQ's and on my Venture Cx I can input 14 character waypoint names, using its interface, not GSAK.

FWIW

Hermit

I only have access to my 60CS which allows for a max of 10 characters in the waypoint name. I have a friend who has a 60CSx which allows for 14 characters, but she doesn't use GSAK. Can you NOT enter "14" in the maximum characters field for the waypoint name during an export using GSAK and get it to transfer to your Vista Cx? Since I can't try it here, I don't know if it works or not -- you'd think it would, though. Have you tried it?

The Garmin 60c/60 cs will allow ten characters for a waypoint name.
I was just reading through the FAQ's and on my Venture Cx I can input 14 character waypoint names, using its interface, not GSAK.

FWIW

Hermit

I only have access to my 60CS which allows for a max of 10 characters in the waypoint name. I have a friend who has a 60CSx which allows for 14 characters, but she doesn't use GSAK. Can you NOT enter "14" in the maximum characters field for the waypoint name during an export using GSAK and get it to transfer to your Vista Cx? Since I can't try it here, I don't know if it works or not -- you'd think it would, though. Have you tried it?

I have a 60 CSx and use GSAK and I use 14 character names. No problem. :laughing:

subscribing to this topic....

I just bought a Garmin 60cs. Its a great device but the software that comes with it (Mapscource) sucks. I want more street detail.

So far I am doing homework as to find which software to purchase.

Welcome to the Boards!

The software that comes with it is Trip and Waypoint Manager. As its name implies it is for transferring waypoints tracks and routes from the GPS to your computer and back. As far as detailed maps go, you will want MapSource City Navigator if you want street maps, or MapSource Topo for topographical maps.

Next question:

How can I tell what version of the firmware I have loaded on the 60cs?

This question was asked several times in this thread. My question is how do you find the verion in the unit? Isn't there a way to get to the diagnostic page?

3 simple ways

firstly connect to Mapsource to download or upload, and Mapsource will tell you the software version on the upload/download box e.g. Downloading to GPSmap 60CS software version 4.10

secondly attach to PC and run the Garmin web updater, this will confirm the current level and offer you the chance to upgrade to the latest if you wish.

Third way on the unit, go to the setup page, pick system which should give you the normal system setup screen, now press menu and you should be offered a choice of Restore Defaults or Software version. Select Software version and a little box should open telling you the software version and Unit ID.

Hope all that helps

Mark

Next question:

How can I tell what version of the firmware I have loaded on the 60cs?

This question was asked several times in this thread. My question is how do you find the verion in the unit? Isn't there a way to get to the diagnostic page?

3 simple ways

firstly connect to Mapsource to download or upload, and Mapsource will tell you the software version on the upload/download box e.g. Downloading to GPSmap 60CS software version 4.10

secondly attach to PC and run the Garmin web updater, this will confirm the current level and offer you the chance to upgrade to the latest if you wish.

Third way on the unit, go to the setup page, pick system which should give you the normal system setup screen, now press menu and you should be offered a choice of Restore Defaults or Software version. Select Software version and a little box should open telling you the software version and Unit ID.

Hope all that helps

Mark

How do you find the verion in the unit?

3 simple ways

No such thing. Can you explain?

This does not confirm the current version if unit has the latest version.

This one actually answers the question, and the only one of the 3 explanations that work. I don't know how I missed it in the system page.

Hope all that helps

Mark

Thanks

Edited by GeoidPS

i just bought a used 60cs, it did not come with any software, i have gone to the garmin site and downloaded the drivers and now i can send LOC files to the gps. i also have a magellin explorist 500, when i plug in the usb to the computer it comes up as a disc drive that i can access to add or delete files from multiple folders. when i plug in the usb on the 60cs the computer says new device found but thats it, it does not appear as a disc drive. i'm wondering if i need the "Trip and Waypoint Manager" to establish a connection?

second question, is there a way to display geocaches by name instead of gcxxxx?

any help will be appreciated.

Edited by redbeardcraig

We have a 60CS and have had no problems using it for several years. We use the MetroGuide Canada and the City Select North America v7 maps. However, recently we have been receiving an error message when we ask to to be routed to a destination - usually it is a waypoint we have made for a friends address but lately it has sporadically occurred when we ask for road directions to a geocache. The fix I have used in the past is to reload the maps and then everything is fine. This weekend that didn't work and we still get the error. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

60CS speed issue

I haven't seen mention of the 60CS error that I had, so I thought I would post here in case anyone searches for it. I primarily use my 60CS in my truck - and constantly use it for a speedometer as it's hard to see the truck's due to where I like to keep the steering wheel tilted. Anyway, after a number of years of pretty flawless operation, I started getting crazy speeds - on cruise control at 70 I would see speeds ranging from the 30's to well over 100. The speeds would hover in the same range for awhile and eventually settle down to reality. If I turned the unit off and on again, things would be OK. I figured maybe one too many ATV trips had shaken it up a bit or something.

The software was 4.20, the most current. As I thought about it, the speed issue occurred after I updated to that release. On a whim, I went backwards to 4.10. Bingo - issue solved. I find it odd that I've not seen any mention of this anywhere (I've Googled for hours). So I hope if anyone else is looking for solution, this post might help.