Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Instead, the GPSr kept telling me to go to an interstate a few miles away. It seems the unit does not know to use the CitySelect local roads for routing even though they are visible on the map.

If your default setting was "faster time" instead of "shorter distance" the unit was functioning just fine as it thought it could get you back faster on the interstate. I have our units set to prompt us for both OFF ROAD / FOLLOW ROAD and then if follow road is picked FASTER TIME / SHORTER DISTANCE. WHen we have both in the car ... usually one of us is in follow road mode while the other is in off road .... which helps locate parking and such when getting close.

Personally I have seen it do some stupid things when set to faster time .... but it does get you to your destination. When the location you are looking for is within 10 miles .... shorter distance is usually best. :huh: ImpapaBob

The rubber power button on my 60CS is wearing out from so much use.  It is very difficult now using only a finger either to turn the unit on or even tougher to turn it off.  I often have to use the tip of a ballpoint or pencil which is quite tiresome.  Any suggestions ?  Would this be covered by the warranty ?

Don't feel alone, mine is doing the same thing. It takes a hard push straight down to turn it on. Turning it off is also as difficult. I haven't started using a pen tip yet but thanks for that workaround, I am sure it is coming.

A co-worker just got his GPSmap 60 today, so I decided to mess with it since I'm looking at buying one too. I think the 60CS has the same buttons and chassis so my concerns can be addressed here. I noticed the power button issue. I definitely see how it may wear out after a lot of use. But another equally concerning thing for me was the foam rubber that covers the USB port. Popping it on and off every time you up/download coordinates could wear or tear the foam. At least it looks like they're replaceable. Have these covers been staying on OK after extended use?

Both the USB port cover and the other rubber cover used for plugging into a cigarette lighter are in great shape after about 13 months of fairly heavy use. But the power on/off button remains a problem for me and , unfortunately is outside of the one year warranty. I haven't yet tried to call Garmin and ask them about a cheaper method of fixing the power button -- don't want to pay the $150 minimum charge !

The age and overall use of the unit is surely part of the problem with the on/off, but I've found this problem is also directly related to the temperature. In hot weather the problem is exagerated, in very cool conditions it nearly disappears.

I've only owned my 60CS for a couple of days, but it seems to be a great unit. After reading through this entire thread I've found quite a bit of info, although most of it could have been accomplished by RTFM. A couple of points:

Earlier in the thread it was suggested that once City Select was installed, Waypoint and Trip manager was no longer needed. That is not true. Using CS V6, if one attempts to remove Waypoint and Trip, CS V6 will no longer open. You don't have to use Waypoint and Trip, but it has to remain installed.

The Garmin suction cup vehicle mount is poorly designed. The cradle for the unit precludes one from being able to install the unit with the 12V adapter attached. The unit has to be put in the cradle and then the adapter attached to the back of the then facing the windshield assembly. Then to remove the unit the adapter has to be pulled before the unit can be taken out of the cradle.

Just an FYI, Sam's Club has the 60CS for $395, and their 3 year warranty is around $40 or less. Gander Mountain is one of the few places that will match Sam's Club pricing, so I bought it there locally with no extended warranty offered. I may regret that but there's something to be said for instant gratification.

I'm using Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeables with so far excellent results. They had an 8 pack w/charger at Sam's for under $20.

Has anyone used Li AA cells? I can't find any documentation from Garmin regarding this but in my camera flash units they last much longer and actually weigh less.

Anyone have any sites of customized waypoint symbols? Also what program are people using to modify waypoint symbols. I have the xImage for transfer, but I have been unable to modify them with luck using Photoshop CS.

Earlier in the thread it was suggested that once City Select was installed, Waypoint and Trip manager was no longer needed. That is not true. Using CS V6, if one attempts to remove Waypoint and Trip, CS V6 will no longer open. You don't have to use Waypoint and Trip, but it has to remain installed.

You can use City Select without Waypoint manager. The reason you had an issue was that they share some files. Re-install City Select after uninstalling Waypoint mManager and it will work fine. I use City Select on both my laptops and desktops at home and work and have never installed Waypoint Manager.

There have been successful reports of using Li cells, yielding about 3 times the battery life, but at three times the price. They have the advantage of being extremely light. The 60CS will float with Li bats installed. AtlantaGal ran a test that she reported on in the main forum several months ago.

The thing to watch out for with lithiums is that the battery meter isn't accurate. The Li power curve is very flat until almost the end of the battery's life, and then drops off rapidly. You may go from 3 bars to a low bat warning very quickly as the batteries near the end of their life.

As for custom waypoints, take a look at question 9 of the waypoints section of the FAQ, and the links there.

I like the RAM mount for the 60C/S. No problem hooking up power (or anything else) to the unit while installed on the mount. It is also rock steady.

Edit: AtlantaGal thread.

Edited by Sputnik 57
Earlier in the thread it was suggested that once City Select was installed, Waypoint and Trip manager was no longer needed.  That is not true.  Using CS V6, if one attempts to remove Waypoint and Trip, CS V6 will no longer open.  You don't have to use Waypoint and Trip, but it has to remain installed.

You can use City Select without Waypoint manager. The reason you had an issue was that they share some files. Re-install City Select after uninstalling Waypoint mManager and it will work fine. I use City Select on both my laptops and desktops at home and work and have never installed Waypoint Manager.

I tried that, although admittedly I did not remove it and reinstall, I used the "Repair" option on City Select, which still had me use all 3 CD's. After doing that City Select still gave an error message so I reinstalled Trip and Waypoint, and no more problems. Perhaps if I had removed both entirely and then tried to reinstall City Select as you suggest it would work, but at some point having both became easier than all of that.

Edited by Hammerli
The 60CS will float with Li bats installed. 

That's good to know; I went out kayaking yesterday and I was wondering about that since I had the belt clip on my PFD. I thought about using the suction cup car mount on the deck but I figured if I hit it I'd be diving. I'm now considering clipping an external antennae on the shoulder of my PFD and putting the unit in the cockpit under the spray skirt. I only want it for track, distance and speed info on most trips so it won't matter that I can't see it.

Edited by Hammerli
I would definately suggest a dry bag for kayaking. The submersion standard on the 60C is not that great. There have been several reports lately of wet electronics when kayaking. I would think this would be especially true of you attach and external antenna.

I figured the unit would actually stay dryer if I could keep it under the spray skirt in the cockpit and just run the antenna cord up to my shoulder shere a strap retaining loop would seem to be the perfect mounting spot. Where I live there isn't much fast water so I'm generally on inland lakes. Although I guess if I had the external antenna attached the attachment port would be open and could pose a threat. So maybe keeping the unit in a dry bag and somehow running the cord out and sealing that hole would be the best solution.

The rubber power button on my 60CS is wearing out from so much use. It is very difficult now using only a finger either to turn the unit on or even tougher to turn it off. I often have to use the tip of a ballpoint or pencil which is quite tiresome. Any suggestions ? Would this be covered by the warranty ?

Don't feel alone, mine is doing the same thing. It takes a hard push straight down to turn it on. Turning it off is also as difficult. I haven't started using a pen tip yet but thanks for that workaround, I am sure it is coming.

Both the USB port cover and the other rubber cover used for plugging into a cigarette lighter are in great shape after about 13 months of fairly heavy use. But the power on/off button remains a problem for me and , unfortunately is outside of the one year warranty. I haven't yet tried to call Garmin and ask them about a cheaper method of fixing the power button -- don't want to pay the $150 minimum charge !

Good news ! I sent my 60CS to Garmin after phoning them and telling them that the warranty had expired. They put it back on warranty, sent me a different brand new GPSr at no cost. Nice service !

I figured the unit would actually stay dryer if I could keep it under the spray skirt in the cockpit and just run the antenna cord up to my shoulder shere a strap retaining loop would seem to be the perfect mounting spot. Where I live there isn't much fast water so I'm generally on inland lakes. Although I guess if I had the external antenna attached the attachment port would be open and could pose a threat. So maybe keeping the unit in a dry bag and somehow running the cord out and sealing that hole would be the best solution.

Don't know why you would need an external antenna in a Kayak...I use the 60 cs in a "dry-loc" plastic bag ($8.50) sitting on the deck of my Kayak and the reception through the bag is the same as without. It's been in the water several times and never let in a single drop...I have used these bags for several years with cell phones and they still perform fine. I can operate all the buttons with ease. Being out on the open water I always get superb reception....usually 7-10ft...and never lose a sat lock. Probably the best reception you will ever get is on an open body of water.

Just got a replacement 60C from Garmin due to the belt clip lug breaking out of the unit. Replacement unit came with 4.0 firmware and our old waypoints reloaded. When I plug the replacement unit in to the USB it locks up the mouse. MapSource will not find unit ID and again it locks up the mouse. Do a few mouse clicks ... nothing happens ... unplug unit and PC gets the mouse clicks. Tried it on the laptop also and it does the same thing. I did a unit reset with no effect. I did diagnostics and it comes up fine. I can't do a firmware change as the computer does not find device. Everything works fine with our other 60C. Any ideas?

I'll be calling Garmin today and probably sending it back.

ImpalaBob

Just for you info...the belt clip is really useless as the slightest bump causes it to come unlocked and release the unit.  If you use Garmins beltclip, I would use the supplied lanyard with a carabiner hooked thru a belt loop.

The only time I have ever had with the belt clip on my 60CS is when the GPSr got caught on a branch while bushwacking and instead of the belt clip letting go the button broke off taking a big hunk of the back of the 60CS with it.

FYI Garmin replaced the thing for free.

All that being said I still attached it to a retractable lanyard when using the belt clip on my back pack JUST IN CASE.

Having trouble with compass page.

I set a waypoint and then walk a distance and try to get back to the original point.

I go to find waypoint a push enter.

then go to the compass page.

The arrow points to the general direction at first, but then wanders.

The feet to waypoint moves real slow even though Im getting close to my original point. All of a sudden it starts to increase in feet even though Im standing were I marked the waypoint.

Are there any settings that I should reset to reslove this problem?

Does true north or magnetic north make any difference?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Just for you info...the belt clip is really useless as the slightest bump causes it to come unlocked and release the unit. If you use Garmins beltclip, I would use the supplied lanyard with a carabiner hooked thru a belt loop.

You're right - garmin's default clip does tend to let it out of the unit pretty quick.

Quick solution (and good belt clip replacement - i break them a lot) is to pop into a local emporium that deals in AT&T/Cingular cellphones. They have similiar clips, and usually cheaper.. and the GPS doesn't come out of them as fast.

You may try updating the units software, even if the unit is new from the dealer, it may be a unit with old firmware.

It looks like it's running 4.0, which Garmin claims is the latest sofware for the 60C.

Should I try downloading and reistalling the 4.0?

It seems like it happend both times when the unit was being used....then put down on the floor or it the glove box for a few minutes, where Sat reception would be lost.

I'm not too concerned...I heard Garmin's got some great customer service folks if the unit has to go back.

Could it be my mapping sofware I put on there? I am not sure what it is off the top of my head, some older maps from 4 years ago.

If you installed MetroGuide .... it's probably the culprit. I've seen several glitches with Metro Guide, the most common being the unit gets stuck in route mode and will not stop route navigation. Get City Select N/A 7.0. If you want to change your firmware .... go down to 3.8 first then back up to 4.0. :D ImpalaBob

The Garmin suction cup vehicle mount is poorly designed.  The cradle for the unit precludes one from being able to install the unit with the 12V adapter attached.  The unit has to be put in the cradle and then the adapter attached to the back of the then facing the windshield assembly.  Then to remove the unit the adapter has to be pulled before the unit can be taken out of the cradle.

Here is how I got around the power cord problem on the Garmin Suction Cup Holder. I just cut the cradle out where the power cord goes. Works for me.

a_gpscut.jpg

Here is how I got around the power cord problem on the Garmin Suction Cup Holder. I just cut the cradle out where the power cord goes. Works for me.

a_gpscut.jpg

Seems it would be easier just to buy the RAM mount in the first place. I have never had an issue putting the unit in the mount with 12V already attached, in fact, take it in and out like that all the time.

The Garmin suction cup vehicle mount is poorly designed.  The cradle for the unit precludes one from being able to install the unit with the 12V adapter attached.  The unit has to be put in the cradle and then the adapter attached to the back of the then facing the windshield assembly.  Then to remove the unit the adapter has to be pulled before the unit can be taken out of the cradle.

a_gpscut.jpg

I did the same thing with my mount but in the end it would have been cheaper to go out and by a new ram mount as I spent $120 at the doctors office having a sliver of a dremel blade removed from my eye.

Remember Norm says wear your safety glasses.

Note my signature line

Seems it would be easier just to buy the RAM mount in the first place. I have never had an issue putting the unit in the mount with 12V already attached, in fact, take it in and out like that all the time.

I probably would have if the store I went to for a GPS mount stocked them. But since I already had the Garmin mount, this was what I came up with. And, I did wear my glasses when I ground the plastic out.

Regarding the unit mounts .... The Garmin unit is the mount of choice if you are taking it on and off often. The Ram mount (in my opinion) puts more stress on the clip button ... but provides a more secure mount. If you are using the Ram mount be sure to loc-tite your clip button so it is very secure. Flex the mount properly to relieve some pressure while attaching / unattaching. If you secure a Ram mount with a loose button you risk case failure at the button. :) ImpalaBob

Can someone please tell me how to hide / turn off these marine navaids color dots. Thanks.

I don't have nav aids loaded, but you should be able to hide them. Go to the map page and hit MENU. Then select Setup Map. A list of loaded maps will appear with a chech mark next to any that are selected. Hit Menu again from that page. The select Hide (mapset name). I think that will do it.

Edit: Posting a screen shot is pretty impressive for a Tadpole. Good job.

Edited by Sputnik 57
I have searched Dead Pixel in this fourm but no results were found. I have a dead pixel on my GPSMAP 60CS. It is about center of the display. Anyone else having dead pixels? Can number of dead pixel increase in future?

I haven't seen anything about this. Is it still under warranty? If so, I would send it back to Garmin.

Here's some information to file away in case this happens to you. I have been using the 60cs and GSAK, for geocaching, for about 16 months. Yesterday I cleared out all waypoints in preparation for a download. I downloaded 200 waypoints, or so I thought. Only 5 displayed. I tried it again but same thing. Then I did another PQ for the same area. This time 12 of the 200 displayed. I went to bed and slept on it. This morning after doing a cold start, same 12. Then I checked the waypoint page and hit 'find by name'. I cancelled out of that and all 200 were there. Somewhere along the line, I change the reference although I don't remember doing it. I was in panic mode for all too long. All is ok now.

The custom waypoint icons were not working correctly on my 60 CS. When downloading waypoints from GSAK to the 60 CS, custom waypoint icons would appear as a small blue dot (small city). After updating the firmware on the 60 CS from 3.60 to 4.00 the custom icons display properly.

I have had my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS for about 5 months and just recently was able to cache with it. I also have a Legend and it seems to me the legend keeps a better sat signal lock in foliage or in difficult signal areas than the 60CS(both receivers in optimal postiton with the legend laying on its back and the 60CS pointing up). In my house with the legend I can get a lock while I can not with the 60CS on the same hour in the same spot in my house. Also making sure the units are not on at the same time and place to interfere with each other. I really like all the features and the unit other than I am a little disappointed in its ability to keep a good lock. I have also noticed that when I let it dangle from my neck on the neck strap it loses signal. In its optimal postion pointing straight up I would think this would not happen like it does. Also sometimes it will take several minutes to lock in after I power it on in its own backyard. However I have had the estimated accuracy down to 6 ft in a clear sky situation and it has been dead on with caches in wide open areas. Is the 60CS just quicker to let you know that you have a low or lost sat signal or am I just used to the legend letting me wonder around for a few minutes before it lets me know that it has lost its signal? Is my question making any sense? Just wondering if anyone else has this situation.

I have had my Garmin GPSMAP 60CS for about 5 months and just recently was able to cache with it. I also have a Legend and it seems to me the legend keeps a better sat signal lock in foliage or in difficult signal areas than the 60CS(both receivers in optimal postiton with the legend laying on its back and the 60CS pointing up). In my house with the legend I can get a lock while I can not with the 60CS on the same hour in the same spot in my house. Also making sure the units are not on at the same time and place to interfere with each other. I really like all the features and the unit other than I am a little disappointed in its ability to keep a good lock. I have also noticed that when I let it dangle from my neck on the neck strap it loses signal. In its optimal postion pointing straight up I would think this would not happen like it does. Also sometimes it will take several minutes to lock in after I power it on in its own backyard. However I have had the estimated accuracy down to 6 ft in a clear sky situation and it has been dead on with caches in wide open areas. Is the 60CS just quicker to let you know that you have a low or lost sat signal or am I just used to the legend letting me wonder around for a few minutes before it lets me know that it has lost its signal? Is my question making any sense? Just wondering if anyone else has this situation.

The 60C lock issue has been addressed some where seems like what you need to do is do a complete reset and then let it sit outside with a clear view of the sky and let it load for approx. 30mins. I think there is a FAQ on this somewhere. Maybe someone else can point you to it.

In my experience the 60C is a far superior GPS then any of the models like the Vista or Legend. I out performs them in every way from GPS lock time to signal strength to page load time.

Is the 60CS just quicker to let you know that you have a low or lost sat signal or am I just used to the legend letting me wonder around for a few minutes before it lets me know that it has lost its signal?

Your experience is contrary to the majority of comparisons between the 60 series and the b&w eTrex series. However, I've observed substantial differences in sensitivity in the past between different samples of the same model GPS when both were used in the same location and orientation. Unlike strictly digital devices like computers where we expect two samples to behave identically, radio receivers contain significant analog components in the antenna and front-end stages of the receiver channels. These analog components can vary in their performance due to minor variations in their manufacture despite being nominally identical.

The time delay before declaring a lost signal alarm is the standard Garmin 30 seconds for both the 60 and eTrex series.

I've picked up so much from this thread that I didn't know - it's brilliant!

I'm still a bit unclear about the compatibility (or otherwise) of some Mapsource products.

I have the European basemap version of the 60cs. I have Metroguide GB, and I can upload maps, draw routes on the pc and upload these to my unit without any problem.

I'm needing to get a North American map, but when I look at the compatibilty guide for Metroguide North America, there is no mention of the 60cs. Is this simply because you can't use the autorouting function?

Can I get Metroguide North America and draw routes and upload these along with the relevent map sections in the way I can with my trusty Metroguide GB?

Good news ! I sent my 60CS to Garmin after phoning them and telling them that the warranty had expired. They put it back on warranty, sent me a different brand new GPSr at no cost. Nice service !

My 60CS will loose satellite reception as soon as there is any cover and many times when there is no cover. I find in many locations that the unit will not acquire satellites. I have followed the suggested steps in resetting the unit and doing an “Auto-Locate" but it still works poorly.

Just the other day I went geocaching with a friend that used a Geko. As soon as we stepped into the woods I lost satellite reception. His Geko retained satellite reception during our whole adventure though my GPSmap 60CS never regained satellite reception.

I wonder if I have a lemon. Any suggestions on how to approach Garmin on this?

Edited by Cat-in-the-hat

It may take up to 3-4 minutes to aquire a lock under tree cover. However, under heavy tree cover, it may take longer or not at all.

Once acquiring a lock, my experience has been I will only lose reception with a combination of tree cover and overcast sky.

Using a gillson antinenna, I will lose reception only under heavy tree cover and overcast, foggy conditions.

But you have a defective unit if you lose reception with only some cover.

It may take up to 3-4 minutes to aquire a lock under tree cover. However, under heavy tree cover, it may take longer or not at all.

Once acquiring a lock, my experience has been I will only lose reception with a combination of tree cover and overcast sky.

Using a gillson antinenna, I will lose reception only under heavy tree cover and overcast, foggy conditions.

But you have a defective unit if you lose reception with only some cover.

I called Garmin. They were not going to help unless I sent them $150 as it is out of warranty. :laughing: I went back and looked over my emails and found that the first time I contacted Garmin support about this problem was while the unit was still under warranty. I called Garmin again and they gave me a rma number and told me they would fix the unit. :rolleyes:

Firehouse16

My 60CS is dying! OK here's the deal. During as mega caching spree the other day (144 find!) all of a sudden my 60CS's buttons wouldn't work. So I reboot, take the batteries out, beat it a bit. After about an hour it starts working again! Woohoo!

I went out the other day and after about 11 hours of caching we only could find 11. I can see maybe 15 but how in the world did you get 144?

No life maybe.JK, there's no way, even if they are all placed say in the same park etc.