Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

My home computer CD-ROM drive is dead, and I can't add another (I've tried). So I loaded the basic CD-ROM out of the 60cs box onto a thumb drive, and copied that to my computer. Tried to run it, and it loads up to the point where it asks for another CD-ROM, which is from City Select I suppose, which I don't have. So it refuses to load anything.

I loaded it from the CD-ROM onto my computer at work and it loads fine (and doesn't ask for that other CD-ROM).

Any ideas?

So what exactly does battery saver mode do? It doesn't dim or blank the screen. My guess is that it reduces the frequency of track logging and/or sat checks, but the manual doesn't really tell me what is really going on. So what is it? Inquiring minds want to know!

It reduces the frequency with which it logs your position. From my experience you'll get a tighter more accurate lock with it off but if you are just traveling highway or not in heavy cover I find I can get about a third more battery life with it on.

Can anyone help or tell me why my unit does this, for the last week or so when I hit find then goto the cache I want and it ask's on road or off, when I select follow road it calculates the route and says that it can not caculate the route there are no steets near the starting point. Just to be sure I went and stood in the middle of the street, if fact I tried a couple. I have Map Sorce USA version 5.0 Any help would be appriciated.

... when I select follow road it calculates the route and says that it can not caculate the route there are no steets near the starting point. I have Map Sorce USA version 5.0 Any help would be appriciated.

"MapSource" is just the PC program that loads the maps - I suspect that the product you have is actually MetroGuide-USA, v5. That product does *not* support auto-routing on your GPS receiver, so your unit is just using the basemap to figure out the routing. The street you're on probably isn't included on the basemap so it gives the error message that there are no nearby streets.

To support the auto-routing feature, you need to use Garmin's CitySelect-NorthAmerica maps, not v5 of MetroGuide. Note that v7 of CitySelect-NA is likely to be announced very soon so I'd wait a little bit before making a purchase.

Ok, someone has already asked me about uploading from multiple map suites, so here goes.

1) Open up your Mapsource Topo AND your CitySelect software on your desktop.

2) Select the Topo maps you want, and copy them (CTRL+C)

3) Go into CitySelect (The two Mapping suites use the same browser)

4) Select the maps you want in City Select (There are a lot less of them than there are in Topo.)

5) Right click in the area where you now see the names of the CitySelect maps you are uploading, and click PASTE. This adds all the TOPO maps you copied to the CitySelect maps you just selected.

6) Upload as usual.

Essentially, what you are doing is taking the map/database data from TOPO and merging  it with CitySelect.  It just occurred to me that this might work, had I read the instructions more thoroughly, I am sure it would have talked about this. 

It is quite nice, and switching from Topo to CitySelect doesn't seem to be a big deal.  You have databases in each that are not in the other, and all the data for both software suites are displayed in the FIND menu together.  Obviously you will not be able to carry as large an area as you could if you just loaded one or the other.  I loaded all of Utah, plus about 50 miles around the perimeter, and had plenty of room to spare.  You can also have SOME of the Topos and SOME of the CitySelect displayed on the map screen, but I have found that displaying the CItySelect gives more data around town. 

Another difference is that TOPO shows considerable more of the backroads and streams (which makes sense) and CitySelect does not have these data at all.

Anyway, There you have it.  Hopefully my instructions are coherent enough to make sense to everyone.  If not, feel free to e-mail me or just post here with any questions.

How do you select between the different map packages that you've up loaded maps from? Can you use more that 2 sources, say Mapsource Topo, CitySelect and POI?

Will all this also work with the 76cs?

Thanks,

When navigating/autorouting, how do I display on the map page the next upcoming turn? Pretty much, I'd like to combine the map page with the next entry on the turn page. I know the turn message flashes a few seconds before the turn, but sometimes when you are on a congested multi-lane road, there's no time to get over in time. I'd like to always see the next turn so I can prepare. This is on the 60c, but I think it should be the same as the 60cs. Thanks

When navigating/autorouting, how do I display on the map page the next upcoming turn? Pretty much, I'd like to combine the map page with the next entry on the turn page. I know the turn message flashes a few seconds before the turn, but sometimes when you are on a congested multi-lane road, there's no time to get over in time. I'd like to always see the next turn so I can prepare. This is on the 60c, but I think it should be the same as the 60cs. Thanks

I don't have my GPS in front of me, but I think this will solve your problem:

In the Main menu, select setup. In the setup menu there is a icon labeled page sequence. Go into that and select "Add page". Find the "next turn preview" and add it where you want to the pages that you can scroll through.

Hope this helps!

dick621 & CenTexDodger - thanks for the replies...

On my 60cs I went to the map page, hit menue, selected guidance text, enter, and got three choices. Always show, Never show, and Show when navigating. Hope that helps.

I tried using the Show when Navigating, and Always Show options. What that does is show a somewhat helpful text like 'Oak Street to Main Street', until you get close to the turn, then it shows the more helpful text 'Turn left on Main Street'. I want to always see the 'Turn left on Main Street' text.

In the Main menu, select setup. In the setup menu there is a icon labeled page sequence. Go into that and select "Add page". Find the "next turn preview" and add it where you want to the pages that you can scroll through.

I may not be understanding what you are saying, but I don't think this will give me what I want. I already have the next turn preview page setup as one of the pages I can scroll thru. I don't want to have to scroll to get this. I'd like the top entry on the next turn preview page to show as an additional data item on the map page. I tried adding additional data fields to the map page, but there was nothing I saw to add the next turn preview.

The closest thing I have found so far is to go to the next turn preview page, and display this instead of the map page. I can then see all the turns on the route. It jumps to the map page when I get close to the turn, and then jumps back to the turn preview page after I've made the turn. This is an ok solution, but I'd rather have the pretty map page as my primary screen.

dick621 & CenTexDodger - thanks for the replies...

On my 60cs I went to the map page, hit menue, selected guidance text, enter, and got three choices. Always show, Never show, and Show when navigating. Hope that helps.

I tried using the Show when Navigating, and Always Show options. What that does is show a somewhat helpful text like 'Oak Street to Main Street', until you get close to the turn, then it shows the more helpful text 'Turn left on Main Street'. I want to always see the 'Turn left on Main Street' text.

I may not be understanding what you are saying, but I don't think this will give me what I want. I already have the next turn preview page setup as one of the pages I can scroll thru. I don't want to have to scroll to get this. I'd like the top entry on the next turn preview page to show as an additional data item on the map page. I tried adding additional data fields to the map page, but there was nothing I saw to add the next turn preview.

The closest thing I have found so far is to go to the next turn preview page, and display this instead of the map page. I can then see all the turns on the route. It jumps to the map page when I get close to the turn, and then jumps back to the turn preview page after I've made the turn. This is an ok solution, but I'd rather have the pretty map page as my primary screen.

There unfortunately is nothing to meet your requirements. I know I wanted the same thing. I've since found that I just keep my zoom out far enough to see my next turn and when the preview pop ups then I see it in further detail. If the map is too complex at a higher zoom then I just use the turn by turn page since the next turn map pops up there as well.

How does it make sense to have a whole forum for question and answer to put all the 60cs question and answer into one topic. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of having a forum. It makes it harder to search and read anything, and forces digging through 20 freaking pages to find answers.

Just pointing out what seems obvious.

Thanks,

kgag

How does it make sense to have a whole forum for question and answer to put all the 60cs question and answer into one topic. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of having a forum. It makes it harder to search and read anything, and forces digging through 20 freaking pages to find answers.

Just pointing out what seems obvious.

Thanks,

kgag

I agree. That's why I've tried to condense much of it into the FAQ linked in my signature line. If you see something in the forums worth adding, drop me a line.

This may help. When I set up my map page I customized it with 2 boxes at the top. The left hand box I set to distance to next waypoint, and the 2nd box I set to distance to destination. Now whenever I do a go to it tells me how much farther to drive until i need to make a turn. If I want to know which way I will need to turn I use the next page button and have the directions on the following page. Once I know I hit the back button to return to my navigation map. Works pretty good.

:rolleyes:

This may help.  When I set up my map page I customized it with 2 boxes at the top.  The left hand box I set to distance to next waypoint, and the 2nd box I set to distance to destination.  Now whenever I do a go to it tells me how much farther to drive until i need to make a turn.  If I want to know which way I will need to turn I use the next page button and have the directions on the following page.  Once I know I hit the back button to return to my navigation map.  Works pretty good.

<_<

That's what I ended up doing eventually. BUT, it was pretty dangerous to keep on taking my eyes off the road and my hand off the wheel. I don't know if you can send a suggestion to Gamin, but if I can find a way I'll request this - you never know. In the meantime, if I get to a point in a route that has a lot of turns, I'll probably flip over to the turn page and just leave it there till I hit a section with no turns.

I have upgraded from a Legend to a 60CS and have a question about the backlight given that I plan to use the unit strictly with batteries.

With the use of the Legend, the backlight is only activated when the power button is pressed - it stays on for the length of a setting. To use it again, one simply presses the power button again.

For the 60CS, it appears that once I turn on the backlight with the power button, everytime I press any button on the unit, it will come on for the set duration until I deactivate the backlight by use of the power button again.

Do I have this right? I really only want the backlight to come on the one time when I press the power button. I am worried that if I don't deactivate the backlight after use and subsequently use it during the day, I will be inadertantly turing on the backlight and wasting power everytime I press a button on the unit.

I have upgraded from a Legend to a 60CS and have a question about the backlight given that I plan to use the unit strictly with batteries.

With the use of the Legend, the backlight is only activated when the power button is pressed - it stays on for the length of a setting. To use it again, one simply presses the power button again.

For the 60CS, it appears that once I turn on the backlight with the power button, everytime I press any button on the unit, it will come on for the set duration until I deactivate the backlight by use of the power button again.

Do I have this right? I really only want the backlight to come on the one time when I press the power button. I am worried that if I don't deactivate the backlight after use and subsequently use it during the day, I will be inadertantly turing on the backlight and wasting power everytime I press a button on the unit.

I’m trying to figure out why highway rest areas will not display on the map page. I am running CitySelect v6 on a 60CS. The only way I can get the rest stops to display is if I zoom out to at least 5 miles, but at that point the base map takes over and CitySelect is not in use. I’ve tried changing map detail, map points, street label and land cover. Also if you do a search for the nearest rest areas, =>Find => Exits => Menu => Select Category => Rest Area => Map, it will automatically zoom to 5 Miles and use the base map. Any ideas?

Actually, a minor complaint of the unit is it doesn't do that! The backlight will be OFF when you turn the unit on regardless of it's previous setting.

You have to turn it on (via power button) each time.

Also, when it's activated an icon appears on the status bar so you're likely to notice if you hit the power button accidentally (although with how it's recessed I can't imagine).

hth,

Randy

Quick question re elevation readings while in flight - and my apologies if this has been answered previously - a quickish skim didn't find an answer.

On my old Legend I got a pretty accurate elevation reading while on a commercial flight (didn't have tracklog on but that's another story). However, the 60CS read a max altitude of approx 2000 metres due to (I assume) cabin pressure rather than GPS positioning. All in all the Legend seemed to perform better than the 60CS: sat flat on the tray with good reception (60CS needs to sit vertical) and provided good elevation details.

So, big question of the day: is there ANY way of turning off the electronic altimiter on the 60CS or having an in-flight mode to get a proper elevation reading?

Thanks.

G.

So, big question of the day: is there ANY way of turning off the electronic altimiter on the 60CS or having an in-flight mode to get a proper elevation reading?

No to disabling it but...it sounds more like you might've had the GPS input Off.

Just hit Menu, Menu, Setup, Altimeter and set as desired. (According to page 66 of the manual, with Auto Calibrate On the elevation is corrected by the GPS. If it gets out of wack, recalibrate it by not providing elevation or pressure but allow the GPS to determine elevation...)

hth,

Randy

...it sounds more like you might've had the GPS input Off.

Just hit Menu, Menu, Setup, Altimeter and set as desired. (According to page 66 of the manual, with Auto Calibrate On the elevation is corrected by the GPS. If it gets out of wack, recalibrate it by not providing elevation or pressure but allow the GPS to determine elevation...)

hth,

Randy

Yep, auto-calibrate was on (tried on and off over a period of an hour - made no real difference). and also tried to rest altimiter by saying no to both "Do you know your..." questions on calibrate: came back "not calibrated"

go to the satellite page on the unit where the gps elevation is displayed. biggrin.gif

Dang! Really? GPS elevation there? That's one to check - thanks.

Wow, cool, 65' GPS versus -84' via altimeter... (Nevermind I'm around 20'.) Just for the record you have to pull it out of the menu of the sat screen. Learn something new everyday!

Bummer the menu settings of the altimeter didn't alter anything--are you sure you had a 3D fix in the plane? ('Twould make sense if not...)

Cool,

Randy

PS: Before posting, went back outside and found turning Auto Calibrate On/Off affected the altimeter reading by about 10' despite the GPS elevation fluctuating 150' up/down.

PPS: Also, the GPS Elevation from the sat screen doesn't seem to live update but just report a fixed number...

What batteries do you use in your 60CS and why?

I use Duracell AAs and notice I get about 20-25 hours running time with it. I typically run WAAS enabled which eats some extra juice and I understand you can play with the track log sampling to also help save power consumption. I bought Duracell Ultra's which they also now have for digital devices and changed them into my GPSr on the first mile of a six mile hike. I searched for three caches and hiked for over four and a half hours and the battery gauge never came off of full - which would have happened easily in that time with normal Duracells. I also remember these batteries lasting quite a while once before, like 8-10 hours longer overall. Anyone got a sense as to whether they are worth the difference in price? They cost about 20-30% more, like $5.49 for 4 of them (and less per each if you buy 8 or 12).

BTW: My coworker has an older DeLorme with a black LCD screen that takes four AAs and he doesn't even get 8-10 hours out of his batteries - it's amazing how far these things have come!

The battery life for a 60cs is unbelievable. I wouldn't spend what you do for ultras. My problem is I turn the GPSr on, download waypoints and then get busy doing something else on the computer and forget to turn it off. When I get up in the morning, if the batteries were not fresh, they are dead. If I used ultras, that would a little over $2.50. Ouch. I use Kirklands. I get the box of 48 for about $14.00 for 48. In my case, I lose about $.60. I know the land fill crowd has a problem with this (extra batteries being tossed) but there ya go.

I've been using NiMH rechargables for about a year. I actually have two chargers that hold four 2300 ma batteries each. I typically have 2 in my GPSr, 2 (wrapped in plastic wrap) in my backpack, 1 in my MP3 player, and 3 in the charger. When my 60C batteries start to fail (18-20 hours, I think), I unwrap the fresh bats, and throw the tired ones into the backpact (unwrapped, so I know at a glance that they are stale). When I get home, I plug in the worn ones, wrap 2 fresh ones in Saran wrap and toss them into the backpack. I've been doing this for nearly a year, and don't notice any shortening of useful life yet.

I'm not a tree hugger especially, but this is cheaper by far even than the cheapest allkalines.

I agree with Sputnik.

I have about 20 NiMH batteries and use them in everything around my house, from flashlights to the TV Remote to my Sharper Image Lighted Pepper Grinder. :blink:

The best and most convenient ones are the 15-minute Energizer rechargeables that I got at Target, with a charger for $25.00.

I use them in my GPSr and my digital camera and always have four, fully-charged spares with me.

I was wrong about the Kirkland batteries, they are only $9.99 for a pack of 48.. (I bought a pack this morning). So, two to run my GPSr costs $ .42 (cents). I would use rechargables if I could run a battery charger but we live off the grid in Baja for 8-9 months a year and battery chargers don't work well on an inverter if at all. It is not cost justified to run my generator to charge some NiMH batteries.

I would use rechargables if I could run a battery charger but we live off the grid in Baja for 8-9 months a year and battery chargers don't work well on an inverter if at all. It is not cost justified to run my generator to charge some NiMH batteries.

A solar charger should work well in the Baja :laughing:

I might try the rechargeables then, I know they have come a long way in recent years. I grabbed the Duracell Ultras because I was already enroute to the trail, needed a bite to eat, and stopped at a Safeway on the way for both. I figured if I was paying a convenience price for batteries I might as well get something I remember works pretty well. :laughing:

CentexTrekker:

Use gpx and not loc files from geocaching.com (requires premium membership) and you will get them with the correct cache icon. I download the gpx file directly through EasyGPS to my 60CS without modification and it works like a charm.

Use gpx and not loc files from geocaching.com (requires premium membership) and you will get them with the correct cache icon. I download the gpx file directly through EasyGPS to my 60CS without modification and it works like a charm.

I have downloaded coordinates using loc files, but now that I am a premium member I wanted to use gpx files. Because I am just a beginner I have been downloading individual cache sites from different areas and they have downloaded without any prob as a loc file. However I just attempted the same procedure clicking on the gpx icon but when I attempted final transfer from the EasyGPS screen the cache did not show up on my GPsr. Should I be doing anything different to transition from the one format to the other? ;)

I might try the rechargeables then, I know they have come a long way in recent years. I grabbed the Duracell Ultras because I was already enroute to the trail, needed a bite to eat, and stopped at a Safeway on the way for both. I figured if I was paying a convenience price for batteries I might as well get something I remember works pretty well. :rolleyes:

yea, go for the new Energizers 2500 ma rechargables. They last a LONG time.

I might try the rechargeables then, I know they have come a long way in recent years.  I grabbed the Duracell Ultras because I was already enroute to the trail, needed a bite to eat, and stopped at a Safeway on the way for both.  I figured if I was paying a convenience price for batteries I might as well get something I remember works pretty well.  :lol:

yea, go for the new Energizers 2500 ma rechargables. They last a LONG time.

Yup, I have converted to 2500 NIMH for GPS and Digital camera with 30min charger.... I get easily 30hrs on of the GPS60C... :lol:

The rubber power button on my 60CS is wearing out from so much use. Would this be covered by the warranty ?

I'd imagine if it was STILL UNDER WARRANTY that it would be covered. Of course you'd have to give up the unit until it was returned :lol::unsure::unsure:

My power button is doing fine, but all of the other buttons are losing the rubber "coating" that appears to be on them. When I go out caching and start digging and scratching in the dirt and in holes and nooks and crannies and crevices, all that gunk gets on my hands and then onto the buttons of my 60CS. Wear and tear is starting to make the coating flake off (although I can still read what's printed on the buttons). It's starting to look like it's getting over a bad sunburn...

Normal wear and tear is not covered by the warranty. However, Garmin being the great company that it is will probably replace the button for you free of charge. You should offer to pay though and not be such a smooch. After all, you're the one who wore out the button. It wasn't a defect.

The rubber power button on my 60CS is wearing out from so much use. It is very difficult now using only a finger either to turn the unit on or even tougher to turn it off. I often have to use the tip of a ballpoint or pencil which is quite tiresome. Any suggestions ? Would this be covered by the warranty ?

Don't feel alone, mine is doing the same thing. It takes a hard push straight down to turn it on. Turning it off is also as difficult. I haven't started using a pen tip yet but thanks for that workaround, I am sure it is coming.