Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Has anyone tried using autorouting in the unit with Metroguide 4.01? According to an item on ebay... ebay it is posible. If so, isn't this just the origional release of Metroguide 2 without all the updates?

Yes metroguide 4.01 DOES support autorouting and is a bargain. You can also update it with free Garmin downloads. It doesn't upgrade the POI info and new streets though, so some info may be incorrect. Still it works great, just won't have that new Starbucks in that new neighborhood down the road.

Has anyone tried using autorouting in the unit with Metroguide 4.01? According to an item on ebay... ebay it is posible. If so, isn't this just the origional release of Metroguide 2 without all the updates?

MG 4.01 is old and outdated.

So still with autorouting there may no be a road to drive on :P

Has anyone tried using autorouting in the unit with Metroguide 4.01?  According to an item on ebay...  ebay      it is posible.  If so, isn't this just the origional release of Metroguide 2 without all the updates?

MG 4.01 is old and outdated.

So still with autorouting there may no be a road to drive on :P

That's putting it kindly.

In my area it doesn't show roads that have been here for 20 years and it does show roads that have never existed.

The map page of my 60CS sometimes locks up when I am in the "Off Road" mode of "GO TO". I turn it off, then back on, and it works fine. I recently downloaded 3.9, so I have all the updates. Any thoughts? Thanks........AE.

--------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Is it still doing it with 3.9????? I havent had a probelm since the last few upgrades...

DELAY

The map page of my 60CS sometimes locks up when I am in the "Off Road" mode of "GO TO".  I turn it off, then back on, and it works fine.  I recently downloaded 3.9, so I have all the updates.  Any thoughts?  Thanks........AE.

--------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Is it still doing it with 3.9????? I havent had a probelm since the last few upgrades...

DELAY

Yeah it happens to me all the time now. Kicker is it never happened with 3.7 :lol: ARG!

I just finished my first Geo with the new 3.9 firmware, and it seemed to work fine. I used the map page in off road, which I prefer over the compass now...and everything seemed to work fine.... I do use an external attenna, and it did seem to take a little longer than normal to get down to <9 feet in accuracy than it used to... but it got there... :lol:

Edited by hardwire

I have NA City Navigator 5.0 that I use on a Streep Pilot III -- can that software be used, i.e. downloaded to the 60CS? Can anyone tell me the difference between NA City Navigator and City Select? It seems to me they are so similar, at least when viewing in MapSource. BTW, I haven't bought a 60CS yet, but am seriously considering it....

I have NA City Navigator 5.0 that I use on a Streep Pilot III -- can that software be used, i.e. downloaded to the 60CS? Can anyone tell me the difference between NA City Navigator and City Select? It seems to me they are so similar, at least when viewing in MapSource. BTW, I haven't bought a 60CS yet, but am seriously considering it....

How much functionality do you lose if you buy a eTREX Vista/60CS from the US and then add European Maps using MapSource or other appropriate software?

I looked on eBAY there are UK 60CS's at £385 or NEW GARMIN GPSMAP 60CS GPS W/PC CABLE!

Latest version UK/Europe Software Included Free! for £248

The person selling the UK model has this to say (I have removed features information to keep this brief):

"This is a brand new UK model.

Beware of purchasing cheap 'Grey Imports' from the US. They are not to the same spec, and are an inferior product!!!

Please see below for more details.

This unit is Boxed and Sealed

Includes USB Interface Cable

MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD

Wrist Strap

Owner's Manual

This auction is for a brand new, boxed Garmin Gpsmap60CS.

This is a UK Garmin GPS.... beware American imports, as you could be charged Import Duty and VAT......

They are not to the same specification as UK products!!!

If you're looking at a cheaper unit on any other auction site, its probably a US import. A Garmin GPS purchased from the US, may be described as having EU mapping!! But, will be pre-loaded with 'America Highway' and will not work correctly in the United Kingdom!!! You'll never know what you're missing!!!!

A US basemap cannot be upgraded and will not show the fine detail available to the UK model.

Beware of cheap imitations!"

Mine worked fine too until I installed 3.9.  How do I erase 3.9?

Just reload the previous version... I keep a copy of all my previous loads incase I have to down grade a version or 2... :grin:

Well, in one way I'm relieved I'm not the only one this is happening to, but on the other hand I wish it wasn't happening at all. My unit locks up in the "Follow Road" mode and it started happening right after I upgraded to 3.9. I will definitely be sending a note to Garmin because the more notes they get about it, the quicker they will release a fix. Unfortunately, I can't reload 3.8 because it was a new unit and this is the first update I had downloaded and it looks like the previous updates are no longer available on their website.

If you are having issues after the 3.9 update .... have you done a complete system reset? If not I would suggest that you get your waypoints and routes out of the unit and do a complete system reset as outlined earlier in this thread .... reset up all your preferences (inside with no sat signal) to include WAAS .... then initialize outside for the first time allowing 30 minutes of almanac load time.

I say this because I have no issues or lock-ups with my 60C. So how can they fix a problem that not every unit is experiencing unless somewhere their are component differences between units? :grin: ImpalaBob

If you are having issues after the 3.9 update .... have you done a complete system reset?

After one of the freeze-ups, my unit "obligingly" did a complete re-set for me. Luckily, I had downloaded all my waypoints, etc., before doing the update so I didn't have to start from scratch. That did not solve my problem. But that's the thing about programming-related glitches, they don't necessarily manifest themselves the same on every unit, be it computer, GPS, or whatever. It may be something to do with the way the upgrade interacts with the particular mapping software the user has loaded on their unit. Based on this forum, it's happening often enough that they shouldn't ignore it.

At this point, I would just be happy for Garmin to give me a URL where I can download the previous update.

How much functionality do you lose if you buy a eTREX Vista/60CS from the US and then add European Maps using MapSource or other appropriate software?

. . .

A US basemap cannot be upgraded and will not show the fine detail available to the UK model.

Beware of cheap imitations!"

The basemap is stored in an area that cannot be modified by the user. If you get a unit with a US basemap, and then load City Select Europe over the top, you will see the detailed Euro maps just fine for any area you've loaded. If you go outside of that area, you'll get bupkiss.

With a Euro basemap, if you go "out of bounds" to area you haven't loaded, the Euro basemap would be there as a backup.

The basemap is stored in an area that cannot be modified by the user. If you get a unit with a US basemap, and then load City Select Europe over the top, you will see the detailed Euro maps just fine for any area you've loaded. If you go outside of that area, you'll get bupkiss.

With a Euro basemap, if you go "out of bounds" to area you haven't loaded, the Euro basemap would be there as a backup.

Never really understood why one cannot change basemap.

people travel and should be able to change basemap if they want.

Very little. As someone else said, you won't have the European base map if you run off the edge of your loaded MapSource maps. But I find the base map pretty much useless anyway; you certainly can't use it for Geocaching. :D

I have a GPSMAP 60CS with CS and TOPO loaded and have a question about the locking to road function. If I use the follow road routing I can see where the lock to road comes in handy. If I use off road routing do I need to turn off the lock? Or if I turn off the CS maps and use TOPO does this essentially negate the lock?

Just wondering...it involves a lot of extra key strokes to turn the road lock off when I go from follow road to off road caching. I am lazy <_< and would like to know if I can skip this step.

Thanx,

I have a GPSMAP 60CS with CS and TOPO loaded and have a question about the locking to road function. If I use the follow road routing I can see where the lock to road comes in handy. If I use off road routing do I need to turn off the lock? Or if I turn off the CS maps and use TOPO does this essentially negate the lock?

Just wondering...it involves a lot of extra key strokes to turn the road lock off when I go from follow road to off road caching. I am lazy <_< and would like to know if I can skip this step.

Thanx,

I have mine set up to prompt me for on road or off road every time. If I want to change, I just press Find->Find->ENTR->Goto. The last waypoint is at the top of the find list when you press Find twice. Hitting Goto brings up the prompt to follow roads or off road.

To set the GPSr to prompt, see the thread linked in the first question of the routes section of the FAQ.

I have mine set to prompt for on or off road. I was wondering if I need to change the lock to road, off when I switch to off road routing?

Here is what I was wondering if I route to a cache using on road navigation, and the lock to road switch on. Then when I get to a parking area I recalculate and use the off road option, do I need to switch the lock to road switch off? In the off road mode will the GPSr still try to lock my position to the nearest road? If so can I turn CS off and use TOPO so the lock to road switch will not work or will the GPSr lock to road still work in TOPO?

Sorry....the question sounds fuzzy even to me now.

Thanx again

When you are in "FollowRoad" mode you can lock on or off as an option (I leave it set at lock on road). When you switch to "Offroad" the lock on raod option is not in play so you do not have to do anything.

Basically if you want to drive and have the cursor centered in the road you need lock mode turned on, otherwise the cursor will wander around based on accuracy of GPS.

<_< ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob
When you are in "FollowRoad" mode you can lock on or off as an option (I leave it set at lock on road). When you switch to "Offroad" the lock on raod option is not in play so you do not have to do anything.

Basically if you want to drive and have the cursor centered in the road you need lock mode turned on, otherwise the cursor will wander around based on accuracy of GPS.

<_< ImpalaBob

Yep.

Tide info gone!!!

When I got my 60CS 6 months ago I was able to view the tides by selecting a small round icon, usually next to a bridge or bay that would bring up a page similar to the sunrise/moon phase type page. Can someone help me figure out where that is? I just got City Select North America 6.0 a few months ago and I dont remember seeing the tides after I installed that...I tried disabling City Select but I still dont see the tides.... anyone have a clue where my tides went?

Thanks

Brian M

:) ImpalaBob

Not to be picky but the cursor location on the map/road has more to do with the accuracy of the map then the GPS. The GPS is almost always way more accurate in location then the map is.

Recently bought a 60CS and seemed to discover last night that the backlight has failed (don't use it in the dark much). Not sure, but wanted to check.... this backlight is automatic right? I can see that the switch (moved by hitting the power button) is all the way up, but I get no light? This has been really disappointing. I was a Magellan owner and decided to make the switch.....after only having the unit for about 2 weeks, I didn't expect a warranty issue already!

:):o

Default to "FOUND". I couldn't find this topic covered before, but feel that it must have been. After completing the "go to" sequence the 60/76 series defaults to FOUND, rather than what would seem to be the more logical NOTES. I tend to hit the enter button (for whatever reason) and end up with the next cache go to question. Is there any way to default to NOTES?

I tend to hit the enter button (for whatever reason) and end up with the next cache go to question.

This happens all too often to me when the "Lost Satellite Recption" prompt box appears. The box dissapears just as I push the button to clear it and it marks the Cache as found.

It really is a nuisance to reset the GPS to navigate to that target again.

I've written to Garmin about this and am waiting for a reply.

Recently bought a 60CS and seemed to discover last night that the backlight has failed (don't use it in the dark much). Not sure, but wanted to check.... this backlight is automatic right? I can see that the switch (moved by hitting the power button) is all the way up, but I get no light?

There's a bug in the garmin firmware that causes the backlight to sometimes quit working. Fiddling with it through a few cycles of on and off and flipping through screens will break it out of this particular funk, though, so that doesn't sound like your problem.

I mailed Garmin the details on this and, true to their tradition, was ignored.

Hello, everyone. I'm very glad to find this thread. I’m a newbie of gps, and got garmin gpsmap 60cs yesterday, but I found many problems. would you please have a look on http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=100525 ?

After adopted the suggestion by warmhearted people, I still disturbed by those problems. Now, I met new problems. I only have North american basemap. If I continually zoom in on map page, finally the screen shows "drawing", the pointer shows busy and then freeze. No button is valid except turn it off. Would you help me to see if there are some problems with my gps? What need to do then? Thank you very much!

I've never had any of the experiences you are talking about. If none of the suggestions worked for you I would think you have a unit that needs to be repaired or replaced. If you can return it to the store you purchased it at then do so....if not call Garmin, they will take care of you. Maybe someone else has a suggestion?

While on a recent trip that I have taken often, I noticed the altitude to be way off. My 60CS showed the correct altitude at the top of the mountain, but 30 minutes after getting down into the flat land, it still showed a 1000+ foot error on the high side compared to a similar track on my Vista. I have auto calibration turned on, variable elevation selected and calibrated it earlier in the trip to the satellite altitude. The GPS altitude on the Satellite page also showed the altimeter to be 1000+ feet high. Has anyone else seen this?