Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

And, where is the USB support for Mac OS X

In MacGPSBabel. The Waypoint/Track/Route exchange is not without excuses (it works fine for some and fails dead for others) but for what's essentially a reverse engineering effort against a hostile specification and a non-conforming USB implementation, it's pleasing that it works at all. (I can count the number of contributors - totalling financial and code - on my fingers and still have some to spare, so I'm not convinced there's a huge demand for this.)

Maps/Mapsource is a different problem.

I have a quick question about the 60C.

when you download waypoints from geocaching.com, will the icons from the site show up in geocaching mode for that cache? Will it tell you if travel bugs are in the cache? i read somewhere in one of the 1000's of posts in this forum that a guy believed it would do this, but he wasnt sure. That would be a nice feature. Also, lets say i get to a spot where a cache is. The 60C will tell me i am arriving at location and automatically mark the cache as found, right? What if i cant find the cache or it is missing and i have to come back? Is there a feature you can turn off or turn on to make the "FOUND" feature a manual feature?

Just a few non-important questions.

thanks.

when you download waypoints from geocaching.com, will the icons from the site show up in geocaching mode for that cache? Will it tell you if travel bugs are in the cache?

First, you need to download your files in .gpx format, not .loc -- if you're a premium member, you can create a Pocket Query that will easily do that. Second, not sure what you mean by "icons" from the site -- you mean virtual, traditional, multi? -- if so, no, that kind of info is not transferrable to the 60CS, nor is any travel bug info.

Your best bet for all of this is a combination of using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), and CacheMate (for Palm PDA's) -- using the two, you can do a multitude of different sorting options on all your downloaded data, and all travelbug info will transfer through CacheMate into your PDA.

As for the "Geocaching" mode in the 60CS -- personally (my own choice) I don't use it. I just load different waypoint "groups" by using different 60CS waypoint icons (like navaid symbols, flags, etc.), and use the "Find Waypoint" option for geo-searching. Since I used the Vista for two+ years and it never had a "geocaching" mode, I'm comfortable with the way I do it. When I find a geocache, I simply delete it from the 60CS so I won't be finding it on a "nearest search" -- and keeping track of finds, not founds (OUCH!!) and notes and such -- that's all done on my PDA from CacheMate.

Hey, everybody has their own way of doing things...

when you download waypoints from geocaching.com, will the icons from the site show up in geocaching mode for that cache? Will it tell you if travel bugs are in the cache? i read somewhere in one of the 1000's of posts in this forum that a guy believed it would do this, but he wasnt sure. That would be a nice feature. Also, lets say i get to a spot where a cache is. The 60C will tell me i am arriving at location and automatically mark the cache as found, right? What if i cant find the cache or it is missing and i have to come back? Is there a feature you can turn off or turn on to make the "FOUND" feature a manual feature?

You could change the icons, using custom icons offered by TheOfficeMaven in this post, but then, the unit wouldn't recognize them as Geocaches.

More on Geocaching Mode in this section of the FAQ.

It looks like the release of the explorists has all the maggies posting their pent up issues, dropping the 60CS into also-ran status. I guess we're not the prettiest girl at the dance any more. :(

For what it's worth, this is the second longest thread in the forum, and the most viewed by a factor of more than 2 to 1 (over 52,000, to second place's 21,000).

Edited by Sputnik 57
Try this one

http://www.gilsson.com/

I went on their site and they said they had stopped selling direct. I tried a couple of their dealers, but they either used Paypal (which I refuse to use unless I hear something positive about them.) or I coulndn't find it on their site. Very frustrating to have the credit card info all ready, had the items in the cart, and it wanted me to register for Paypal. Not even. !

tusen takk allikevel, min Norske venn.

FWIW, my wife uses PayPal extensively on eBay for several years, and I have used it several time, and neither of us has had a problem.

The GPS Store is now selling Gilsson gps accessories for reasonable prices.

The Gilsson 60CS case has a really good fit on the 60cs.

The case is nice, but the external antenna is amazing! I got 9 satellites in under 30 seconds and maintained strong signal strength even in wooded areas.

Has anybody had any long-term experience with Gilsson's case?

I purchased Garmin's soft protective case for my old Vista -- I kept it on all the time and it DID protect it from accidental drops and bumps, AND protected the screen. BUT -- after a short period of a couple of months, the clear plastic screen would begin to take on a filmy "smutz" that I needed to clean off (probably just "dirt" from handling, etc.) -- but the inside would get just as grungy and "filmy" looking as the outside. I tried alcohol, WD-40, and just plain old soap and water -- it would stay clean for a while, then would get all smutzy again in a few months. I don't smoke, so I know it's not that -- maybe just something in the air? A reaction between air-borne particulates and the plastic? Maybe "static" electricity from the plastic creating air-borne particulates to "stick?" In any case, it was frustrating.

Soooo, has anybody used Gilsson's case for a L-O-N-G time and NOT had any ill-effects? TIA...

Well I don't know what you mean by a "long time", but I have the gilsson 60cs case for six months now without incident, and have had the 76c case for about a year. they both work well and have not had the screen problems like you mentioned. the 76c case has a few scratches from a few hiking mishaps, but nothing that would affect visibility.

Out of curiosity, do people actually use the geocaching mode on the 60c? I've looked at it briefly, but never felt that it really added anything to make it worth using, especially since I'd rather have different icons for different types of caches which is incompatible with it. I'm just kinda wondering if I'm missing something that should be obvious on why people would use this mode.

As for the recent cases discussion, I don't use a case myself, largely because I hate having the plastic cover the buttons. Without that I'd probably consider one.

I use it, but it doesn't _really_ work the way I want it to work. I use it becuase at the end of the trip, I have a listing in (reverse) order showing the caches I found.

I wish I still had multiple icons, but since GPSBabel stuffs the diff/terrain and cache type in the comments for me, it's not terrible.

I've been very happy with this case. It does cover the buttons.

Out of curiosity, do people actually use the geocaching mode on the 60c? I've looked at it briefly, but never felt that it really added anything to make it worth using, especially since I'd rather have different icons for different types of caches which is incompatible with it. I'm just kinda wondering if I'm missing something that should be obvious on why people would use this mode.

As for the recent cases discussion, I don't use a case myself, largely because I hate having the plastic cover the buttons. Without that I'd probably consider one.

I use geocaching mode for the very reason robertlipe said, I mark the cache found when I find it and have a list at the end of the day of found caches. Plus it puts up the next closest cache and sometimes I use that and go get it too.

I use geocaching mode...with GSAK I can quickly see notes (in the custom order I set) so I see what type of cache it is, whether there is a bug in it, and the date of last find. I suppose you can do that just by selecting the waypoint and navigating to it (goto). But I rarely use the geocaching mode screen for navigating, I like using the map screen. I am very happy with the unit so far. I think I need to consider a case. :laughing:

-UA

There are two places you can find informtion about temerature on the 60.

1. Diagnostic screen, it tells you the internal temp of the GPS. Used to calibrate the GPS, to get more accurancy.

2. If you connect a Sounder with an temp sencor, you can read the sensor temp in the Trip Page. (Water temp)

I use geocaching mode...with GSAK I can quickly see notes (in the custom order I set) so I see what type of cache it is, whether there is a bug in it, and the date of last find.

Could you explain how you accomplish this? I tried modifying the notes field output in GSAK but it did not show up in the notes on my 76CS. Does the Geocaching notes tab simply show the name of the cache?

Forgive I havent read through all 17 pages. Here is my question. Do you like your 60c or 60 cs? I just got an explorist 600 and I am not at all happy with it. I got an RMA and Im thinking about sending it back and getting a 60C I thought about the 60CS but after playing with the compass and the altimeter in the 600 I dont feel the need for it. Thanks

Koikeeper and I love our MAP 60C. We added MapSource City Select with the automount kit, a remote Gilsson antenna, and a Gilsson protective case. We get driving directions to the caches. No more local maps .... we got everything at our fingertips. We also carry a hand compass. We find ourselves using the GPS for driving directions quite regularly. We got the 60C and antenna thru Amazon, the MapSource with autokit combo from provantage.com, and the case from GPSgeek.com. Garmin has a $50 rebate deal currently running.

:lol::) Totally satisfied with our unit.

If you buy one .... turn it on inside (no sat signal) and enable WAAS. Make sure battery mode is "Normal". Then go outside and turn it on for the first time and let it sit for 30 minutes in a clear area to get the full WAAS Almanac load. Accuracy is great!

;) ImpalaBob Feel free to E-mail me with any questions.

Big Furry Monster,

I have never seen a post on if this is possible (see Almanac data). I just out loaded all my waypoints into MapSource (Great chance for a clean-up). Hold Enter and Page keys down while powering up to reset the system. All setups go back to default, City Select Maps were untouched, All waypoints and routes were erased, firmware level of 3.8 was unchanged. I turned it on inside (no sat signal) and reset all my set-ups enabling WAAS and correct normal battery mode (battery save mode will not let WAAS work correctly). I turned it on outside and selected new location and let it sit for 30 minutes. I then put my waypoints and routes back in to the unit.

It is really not that big a deal to do and it gives you a good chance to clean up your waypoints and routes. Walking around the yard used to give me +/- 15 to 19" and now it is +/- 3 to 5'. Our Sunday cache find was out of the kayaks at shore and it said 50' up the hill .... and that is exactly where it was!

When we got the unit I initialized before I set up WAAS and it has bugged me ever since not knowing if I could increase the accuracy. So far I feel it has helped and we are going out tonight for more caches.

:D ImpalaBob

Hey i did not know if you could help, I just got a Garmin 60CS. i got metroguide 2005 and when I try to use the auto route weather off road or on road it routs me as the croe flys straight across to dest. somtime only uses highway and than never routes using streets, is there somthing i'm doing wrong... if i knew how to to a screen capture I would show you my problem. any thoughts

Azcowboy290

i got metroguide 2005 and when I try to use the auto route weather off road or on road it routs me as the croe flys straight across to dest.

MetroGuide-NA version 6 (and also version 5) do not allow you to transfer the data needed for auto-routing to your GPS receiver. That's why Garmin recommends the use of CitySelect-NA with their auto-routing handheld units (MetroGuide-NA is not listed as compatible with the 60c/cs on Garmin's site because of its lack of auto-routing support).

If you want the auto-routing to work, see if you can exchange the MG-NA for CS-NA.

If the dealer knew this was intended for a 60cs they should have warned you about the auto-routing limitation.

Read my post about 5 above this. Do you have the latest firmware? Did you initialize with WAAS enabled? Did you let the unit sit for 30 minutes to ensure a complete WAAS almanac load? Have you considered a remote antenna for driving? Are you in follow road mode with City Select Maps? And .... just how far zoomed in are you when driving :D ? Feel free to E-mail any specific questions .... glad to help if I can. :anibad: ImpalaBob

Also I have another issue Soo I'll throw it out there.. whe I'm Driving it seems I'm alittle off with the road when i drive.. I dont seem to follaw the road it shos me driving on the sidwalk.. is there a good way to Configure the unit to be more accurate? :anibad:

This is just map accuracy all GPSs and maps fight this issue.. When you get CS you can turn on lock on road, which will lock the cursor to the road.

I didn't go through all 17 pages of this topic, but I did poke around and look at the FAQ...

I have tracks saved in my 60CS on a trail system that I am mapping. I deleted the active tracks, but I would like to be able to display the saved route on the screen while I am out so I don't follow the same trail again. Is there a way to display a saved route without following it?

I didn't go through all 17 pages of this topic, but I did poke around and look at the FAQ...

I have tracks saved in my 60CS on a trail system that I am mapping. I deleted the active tracks, but I would like to be able to display the saved route on the screen while I am out so I don't follow the same trail again. Is there a way to display a saved route without following it?

Try MENU->Tracks->ENTR->highlight saved track->ENTR. Below the Color field is a checkmark that says "Show on Map" Highlight that and press ENTR. That should show you the saved track on your map. If it doesn't, go to Map Setup, then go to the Tracks Tab (the second from the left) and adjust the zoom level for saved tracks (defaults to Auto, I believe) to the zoom level at which you want the track to show up.

Sounds like I need to add this to the FAQ. Thanks!

You could change the icons, using custom icons offered by TheOfficeMaven in this post, but then, the unit wouldn't recognize them as Geocaches.

I continue to get a "404 error" when attempting to use the quoted links to the OfficeMaven custom icon pages. Direct e-mail to OfficeMaven...got no answer. Does anyone have a different/better link to those custom waypoint symbols?

Regards,

Bill

So far ive been able to get my 60cs to do eveything i want except one thing and its really begining to bug me. When i select a destination and goto FOLLOW ROAD it makes a route and the gps switches to the map screen. is there a way to change this to the highway screen or any other screen for that matter. its not too hard to switch it once but everytime it recaculates a route it switches again. when you disobey the calculated route as much as i do it really gets to be a pain

I do know people that have actually velcroed external antennae to their hats -- just don't forget you did that when you take your hat off :o

I too have a Vista and now have the 60CS -- what I find is that on a normal geocache day, I don't really have the need for an external antenna -- the quad-helix model in the 60CS is far superior to the Vista's. I've found myself in "relatively dense" tree cover, and my 60CS STILL picks up a pretty strong signal (accuracy up to 17 feet or so). It depends on other factors as well, of course. In my opinion, having an external antenna would just get in the way. But, to each his own...

I have an eTrex (yellow, basic) and the 60CS, and I haven't used an external antenna on the 60CS -- but here is my two cents anyway.

I thought that when I go the 60CS I would be floored by the accuarcy and the quad-helix antenna, etc. But I haven't really been that impressed. The other features of the unit (like the street maps) are awesome, but when it comes to finding a geocache, I actually prefer my little eTrex (I use the 60CS in the car for driving and gettting to the cache area). For a while I took both of the units out and would compare accuracy and reception... performance for me was about the same. People who hide caches aren't using dead-on accurate instruments, so even if your unit is accurate to 1ft you will probaly have to search around for the cache.

On another note, I use the 60CS for making trail maps, and have bought a Gilsson antenna (waiting for it to arrive) to see if I can improve my accuracy...

jake

People who hide caches aren't using dead-on accurate instruments, so even if your unit is accurate to 1ft you will probaly have to search around for the cache.

You don't know how many people don't understand that concept, glad to see you posted it.

As far as external antenna goes, I don't use one for my 60cs and have done just fine out on the trail under light tree coverage. I used it all last summer caching in and around Point Reyes National Seashore in Northern California.

Here is a funny story, until this week, I didn't know it had the capability of using an external antenna. I am always using the USB port and the power port when in the truck but just stumbled upon the external antenna port after reading a post on the 60cs yahoo group. Oh well.

Here is a funny story, until this week, I didn't know it had the capability of using an external antenna. I am always using the USB port and the power port when in the truck but just stumbled upon the external antenna port after reading a post on the 60cs yahoo group. Oh well.

So you didn't read the manual before you used your GPS :)

I continue to get a "404 error" when attempting to use the quoted links to the OfficeMaven custom icon pages. Direct e-mail to OfficeMaven...got no answer. Does anyone have a different/better link to those custom waypoint symbols?

Regards,

Bill

No joy in tracking this down. Sorry. I'll stay with it.

Here is a funny story, until this week, I didn't know it had the capability of using an external antenna.  I am always using the USB port and the power port when in the truck but just stumbled upon the external antenna port after reading a post on the 60cs yahoo group.  Oh well.

So you didn't read the manual before you used your GPS :P

That is a true statement. :) Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? :D

People who hide caches aren't using dead-on accurate instruments, so even if your unit is accurate to 1ft you will probaly have to search around for the cache.

You don't know how many people don't understand that concept, glad to see you posted it.

I agree -- some neophyte geocachers just think they can get to the posted coordinates and the cache should be "right there!!" Obviously NOT SO! You really need to consider YOUR accuracy error ALONG WITH the cache owner's possible accuracy error. Sometimes I get to MY ground zero and DO find the cache within inches -- woo-hoo!! Lucky me!! Other times I end up finding the cache almost 40 feet away (consider my error of about 20 feet on a bad day and the owner's error of about the same). Best way is to just get to YOUR GZ and start looking (experience and honed geosenses help to narrow the search -- sometimes!)