Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Hi All, i'm new around here. Great thread!!

Had my 60cs for a week now.

I'v noticed something about the accuracy circle. It doesnt seem to be drawn to scale? its easier to see what i mean if you zoom in ft on map.

Once you start zooming in map to ft, the accuracy circle always seems to be outside that scale.

e.g i had zoomed in to about 500ft, the gps reported about 20-30ft accuracy but the accuracy circle was outside the set zoom. I had to zoom out further to see circle? The accuracy circle doesnt really seem to serve a proper purpose?

-L_e_e

i had zoomed in to about 500ft, the gps reported about 20-30ft accuracy but the accuracy circle was outside the set zoom. I had to zoom out further to see circle? The accuracy circle doesnt really seem to serve a proper purpose?

The circle shown on the map and the GPS reported "accuracy" are showing two different things. The reported "accuracy" is an estimate of the error in the position of the coordinates (e.g. lat/long or UTM) reported by the GPS receiver. So with decent satellite reception and geometry it might be around 20'.

The circle shown on the map is supposed to indicate that your actual position is somewhere inside the circle taking into account *both* the error in your calculated coordinates *and* any errors in the displayed map. As a result, the size of the circle will be much larger when you only have the basemap displayed (with its rather poor accuracy) than if you load City Select or Topo maps.

So if Garmin thinks the accuracy of the basemap is only to about the nearest 1000', then the circle will have a radius at least that large when you're only displaying the basemap.

Hi geocacher, does 'waas' control the accuracy circle???

btw i tested my gpsr on top of a hill, hight was about 80-100 ft i was able to get a signal from 10 sats with 15ft accuracy? the other 2 were 'waas' sats not picked up but i did get the occaisional flicker of an empty bar from 1 of the 'waas' sats.

i thought accuracy of 15ft was only poss with the gpsr sats signal picked up by gpsr?

Does this then mean if i had a signal from an extra wass sat (including the 10 picked up) the accuracy would of been even better than 15ft? Manual only mentions accuracy 0f 15ft at best.

many thx geocacher

-l_e_e

Hi geocacher, does 'waas' control the accuracy circle???

btw i tested my gpsr on top of a hill, hight was about 80-100 ft i was able to get a signal from 10 sats with 15ft accuracy? the other 2 were 'waas' sats not picked up but i did get the occaisional flicker of an empty bar from 1 of the 'waas' sats.

i thought accuracy of 15ft was only poss with the gpsr sats signal picked up by gpsr?

Does this then mean if i had a signal from an extra wass sat (including the 10 picked up) the accuracy would of been even better than 15ft? Manual only mentions accuracy 0f 15ft at best.

many thx geocacher

oh btw i'm living in the U.K

-l_e_e

Technically since you're in the UK, you won't be getting any assistance at all from WAAS, which is a North American system. In Europe the equivalent is EGNOS which wasn't fully operational yet when I last checked although they were sending out signals with a test flag set. Some receiver models are using these test signals while others (I believe including all Garmins) are not. In any event, you wouldn't be seeing any accuracy improvement from EGNOS, WAAS, or other SBAS (Satellite Based Augmentation System) unless you're locked onto at least one of the satellites numbered above 32 and are getting differential corrections from it as indicated by little "D's" on the signal strength bars for the satellites whose data is being corrected.

Keep in mind that the "accuracy" is just a slightly educated guess by the receiver of the likely size of the position error. The only way to really know your accuracy is to place the receiver at a carefully surveyed point and compare its readings with the correct coordinates. Estimated accuracies of around 14' are not uncommon without any differential corrections from one of the SBAS systems.

btw i tested my gpsr on  top of a hill, hight was about 80-100 ft i was able to get a signal from 10 sats with 15ft accuracy? the other 2 were 'waas' sats not picked up but i did get the occaisional flicker of an empty bar from 1 of the 'waas' sats.

many thx geocacher

oh btw i'm living in the U.K

-l_e_e

Despite what the manual or anything else says, with a clear view of the sky and little in the way of other interference, even a non augmented GPS can at times get 9ft precision. My old Garmin 48 saw it a few times. The more often the satellites are updated also helps. The times I saw those numbers, the gulf war was in full swing and the satellites were being updated much more often than usual to enhance accuracy.

Without those updates, 12-18ft is fairly normal.

With WAAS, I often see 6-7ft precision in the central US. Again, I need a clean lock on well-separated satellites and also the only WAAS satellite that we can see from here.

any updates on the "new" beta update.. has it been determined to be "safe" yet?

I have been using it since it released with no noted ill effects.

Edited by DBleess
any updates on the "new" beta update.. has it been determined to be "safe" yet?

New 3.7 released today, at least for the 60C. Apparently still confusion over the release for the 60CS and 76. The release notes sound like they fixed a number of bugs fequently mentioned around here, but I haven't d/l'd it yet.

Edit. All 6 are now posted:

60C Link

60CS Link

76C Link

76CS Link

Legend C Link

Vista C Link

Edited by Sputnik 57

New to Geocaching and new to GPS. Very happy with the Garmin 60C. Had the chance to go out and play last week. Still only using the basemap. I have noticed that a couple of the caches that I downloaded show up about 100 yrds into a lake according to the basemap. Since we didn't get wet and we found one of the caches up on the hill next to the lake, I know that the map isn't exactly lined up with the GPS coordinates. I thought maybe this was a Datum thing and made sure that the GPS was set for WGS84.

Is this normal with the Garmin basemap? or am I still missing a setting somewhere?

I can't wait for it to warm up!! :lol:

I have noticed that a couple of the caches that I downloaded show up about 100 yrds into a lake according to the basemap.

Is this normal with the Garmin basemap? or am I still missing a setting somewhere?

That's normal. The basemap is far from exact, just a close approximation. You'll notice the roads are a series of connected lines, too. Try some of the detail maps for your area, and you'll see they are much, much better. Unless the cache coordinates are wrong (unlikely), they won't display as inside the lake boundaries. :blink:

I am looking for some sort of screen protector for my 60CS- I know I saw some mention of it before on one of the forums, but when I do a search I don't find anything specific. I am not even sure I am at the right spot to ask this...help please....

Can anyone steer me to where I need to be to get something like this? I already have a couple small scratches from something that must have been in my coat pocket the other day...

thanks!

The 60cs locked-up on me twice yesterday.  Both times it was recalculating an auto-route when I decided to not follow the route set out by the unit.

Had to shut down and bring back up.  Funny screen fading, etc.  A week or so ago, the display screen went crazy, like the old TVs when the horizontal hold let go.  Had to shut it off that time, too. 

Have not lost any of the data in the unit when it happens, but it sure does make me nervous.  Has anyone else had this sort of experience?  Any thoughts about it?  Thanks.

KeepOnTruckin

I too have found that my 60cs will lock up while using the City Select V6 software when the map is displayed and I am traveling over 50mph. I returned the unit to Garmin and they reloaded the operating software. When I got it back the problem has not been fixed.

I have "repaired" the CS-V6 software in my PC by selecting that function in the installation process. Then I reloaded a map into the 60cs via the USB cable. Still locks up. This unit is truly feature packed. Amazing what technology can do.

Garmin is sending me a brand new unit and CS-V6 North America disc. Has this problem been discussed in the forum and/or does any one have a fix for it?

:ph34r: Thanky you GARMIN for the latest software update 3.7. I had been having problems here in Hawaii with the 60CS locking up anytime I drove on an interstate with the map displayed. Garmin assisted with a loaner 60cs which diplayed the same problem. Note that both units worked perfectly in Colorado. I installed the 3.7 update and this has SOLVED all of my lock up problems here on Oahu. MAHALO

PS: Using the 60CS for downhill skiing is a blast. Recording top speed is great fun. I Broke 50mph on one run and my brother cracked 60mph.

Since installing 3.7 I have not had another lockup which were really minor in my opinion but I have had it basically shut down twice on me. Both time were while on auto power and the screen first went blank with the displayed items becoming very faint and then the whole screen would go away completely. I don't know if any of the buttons were still working as the screen was blank but the power button would still work and I could just turn it off and back on again and everything would be working correctly. Both times were in the San Francisco bay area over the last 4 days.

I noticed with my 60CS that I can use both the USB and the NMEA serial at the same time. I have NG topo! 4.0 that I use my USB cable with and Delorme Street Atlas 2005 that I use a USB-serial adaptor. I can run both programs simultaneously and get a position in each program. In the interface menu I have it set to NMEA, but the USB port still functions. Is this because of the new firmware?

Out geo-marathoning this past weekend. 60CS -- new set of batteries -- 3.7 software installed. It locked up on me 3 times during the day!! In all cases the circumstances were the same -- I was on a Follow Road with the Map Page showing. As we approached the cache, clicked on Menu -> Recalculate and was presented with the Follow Road or Off Road choices. At this point, everything locked. Could NOT even turn off the power. Had to open the case, remove the batteries, and start up again. Didn't have this problem with 3.5 or 3.6...

I have the 60cs and something strange has started to happen. Frequently, it malfunctions while navigating. When I 'm in my truck and driving, everything is fine. However when I get out on foot, the navigation does not work right.

Example:

If I know the cache is due North of me 300 feet, I'll walk North to the cache. My "distance" counts down in feet just like it should but the arrow is consistantly pointing in the wrong direction. This takes place almost 40-50% of the time I cache. I've run the calibration and sometimes it fixes the problem for a short period of time but then it starts again.

I've found many of my caches just by watching the feet count down and trying to follow the correct direction.

Any ideas???

Scoobie

I recently installed the update hoping it would address the above issue but it hasn't.

This is really causing me trouble. Someone posted a reply to my statement above regarding "Off road" recalculating and that hasn't fixed the problem either.

Does anyone have an idea I could try or maybe having the same problem?

Thanks,

Scoobie

I've noticed the same thing on my 60CS, regarding arrow pointing being inaccurate. Geocaching friend of mine just bought a new 60C and told me the same thing. On an Off Road goto, the arrow will actually point AWAY from the cache, but the distance measurement DECREASES as I walk toward the cache. Happens whether the real-time compass is engaged or not. Very disconcerting, to say the least. I can even spin the 60CS and the arrow will consistently point 180 degrees (or thereabouts) AWAY from where the cache is. Arrrghhh...

Stantastic,

Do you have the pointer set up to be a "Bearing Pointer" or "Course Pointer"?

The first type should always point toward your destination (i.e. cache) while the second is supposed to steer you back to what the unit thinks your course was supposed to be.

Use the menu on the Compass Page to switch between the two, but for geocaching it should generally be left as a "Bearing Pointer."

Compass is set to "Bearing Pointer" -- see, I would think it would ALWAYS be wrong if the options were set a particular way, but it's not. I've been caching for over 3 years, first with a Vista, now with the 60CS. I never change the basic settings, and have everything pref'd out the way I like it.

This arrow pointing anomaly is NOT consistent cache after cache after cache -- but when it happens, it's easy to see. The distance decreases as the arrow points in the OPPOSITE direction of travel.

Since someone else also mentioned this happening, it's not just me.

Mine is set to off as well. My pointer doesn't always in the opposite direction, sometimes it 90 degrees off either left or right. This doesn't happen all the time but it does happen MOST of the time.

It always works fine when I'm in the truck and driving but when I start walking it just goes nuts. I've tried recalibration and sometimes that helps but it usually goes back to problem fairly quick.

I've also tried turning the unit off when I arrive at the parking location then turning it back on as I'm walking to the cache. This helps sometimes....but not always.

It's a very strange problem.

Scoob

I've noticed the same thing on my 60CS, regarding arrow pointing being inaccurate. Geocaching friend of mine just bought a new 60C and told me the same thing. On an Off Road goto, the arrow will actually point AWAY from the cache, but the distance measurement DECREASES as I walk toward the cache. Happens whether the real-time compass is engaged or not. Very disconcerting, to say the least. I can even spin the 60CS and the arrow will consistently point 180 degrees (or thereabouts) AWAY from where the cache is. Arrrghhh...

Remember, you must re-calibrate your electronic compass after replacing the batteries in the 60cs.

Yep, I calibrate the compass every time I put in a new set of batteries. And, since the v3.7 update last week some time, and my geo-marathon on Saturday where the 60CS locked up 3 times, I recalibrated the compass EACH TIME I pulled the batteries out and reinserted them.

I know the rules :)

Mini USB. Mine started to pull out the other day so I called Garmin and have to send it in to either get repaired or get a new one. We'll see what happens.

Every experience I've had from Garmin suggests that they will warranty exchange it for a remanufactured unit as long as you haven't left signs of abuse or tampering with it. I'm going to try to remember to treat my USB connector with care if they seem to be at all fragile. That connector is definitely a tight fit. Let us know how it goes.

PS: Using the 60CS for downhill skiing is a blast.  Recording top speed is great fun. I Broke 50mph on one run and my brother cracked 60mph.

I did 125km/t = 75mph with my downhill ski

I'd bet you were going faster, I don't think the software computes the downward component vector (altitude loss) in its calculations, I'd bet it only does the 2-D map component. Unless you have some flat parts of your run, you might have even better bragging rights

:lol:

Edited by DBleess

Got my 60CS on Saturday (birthday present) and took it out geocaching on Sunday. I'm still learning everything, so a lot of this thread sorta made sense, or went completely over my head.

I find the "hold level" slightly annoying. Is that just for the compass, and can it be turned off.

To save on battery life of my last unit (SporTrak Map) I kept WAAS off. I'm doing the same now -- is that okay, or doesn't it matter so much?

Mmmm....that's all I can think of now.

Bec

Mini USB. Mine started to pull out the other day so I called Garmin and have to send it in to either get repaired or get a new one. We'll see what happens.

Every experience I've had from Garmin suggests that they will warranty exchange it for a remanufactured unit as long as you haven't left signs of abuse or tampering with it. I'm going to try to remember to treat my USB connector with care if they seem to be at all fragile. That connector is definitely a tight fit. Let us know how it goes.

PS: Using the 60CS for downhill skiing is a blast.  Recording top speed is great fun. I Broke 50mph on one run and my brother cracked 60mph.

I'd bet you were going faster, I don't think the software computes the downward component vector (altitude loss) in its calculations, I'd bet it only does the 2-D map component. Unless you have some flat parts of your run, you might have even better bragging rights

B)

I don't know about the 60C but 60CS is capable of calculating vertical Feet/Second. Also they are not certified for air navigation but are capable of it so true speed (horizontal and vertical combined).

Edited by MacBandit
I am looking for some sort of screen protector for my 60CS- I know I saw some mention of it before on one of the forums, but when I do a search I don't find anything specific. I am not even sure I am at the right spot to ask this...help please....

Can anyone steer me to where I need to be to get something like this? I already have a couple small scratches from something that must have been in my coat pocket the other day...

thanks!

I just bought the Digital Camera/Camcorder screen protectors for my 60CS from Radio Shack. The product number is 16-3687. Included are 4 universal self-adhesive protective films that can be cut to fit. 1 wet/dry cleaning wipe and 1 squeegee card which is nothing more than a credit-card like angled card with the RS logo with sharp ragged edges. Cost of the kit here was $5.97. I ended up with a few small bubbles but I'm not concerned because the screen is protected.

Hope this helps.

I am looking for some sort of screen protector for my 60CS- I know I saw some mention of it before on one of the forums, but when I do a search I don't find anything specific.  I am not even sure I am at the right spot to ask this...help please....

Can anyone steer me to where I need to be to get something like this?  I already have a couple small scratches from something that must have been in my coat pocket the other day...

thanks!

I just bought the Digital Camera/Camcorder screen protectors for my 60CS from Radio Shack. The product number is 16-3687. Included are 4 universal self-adhesive protective films that can be cut to fit. 1 wet/dry cleaning wipe and 1 squeegee card which is nothing more than a credit-card like angled card with the RS logo with sharp ragged edges. Cost of the kit here was $5.97. I ended up with a few small bubbles but I'm not concerned because the screen is protected.

Hope this helps.

B) simple trick for custom fit:

(I used, similar to yours, Fellowes WriteRIGHT PDA adhesive protector sheets) Take one and remove backing and cover GPS screen (bubbles not as important on sheet #1). Once it is applied, take a fine point Sharpie marker and trace exactly the outline you want to cut out.

Remove this sheet that has the markings and before you trim, apply it to a clean sheet. Cut out along marker lines. When you separate, sheet #2 has no markings and fits exactly onto your GPS screen. On this one, you may want to squeegee out the bubbles.

I am looking for some sort of screen protector for my 60CS- I know I saw some mention of it before on one of the forums, but when I do a search I don't find anything specific.  I am not even sure I am at the right spot to ask this...help please....

Can anyone steer me to where I need to be to get something like this?  I already have a couple small scratches from something that must have been in my coat pocket the other day...

thanks!

Hope this helps.

B) simple trick for custom fit:

(I used, similar to yours, Fellowes WriteRIGHT PDA adhesive protector sheets) Take one and remove backing and cover GPS screen (bubbles not as important on sheet #1). Once it is applied, take a fine point Sharpie marker and trace exactly the outline you want to cut out.

Remove this sheet that has the markings and before you trim, apply it to a clean sheet. Cut out along marker lines. When you separate, sheet #2 has no markings and fits exactly onto your GPS screen. On this one, you may want to squeegee out the bubbles.

Good tip. The fit can be tricky. I was fortunate enough to save the original sticky that was on my 60CS screen, then I mounted it to a piece of stiff paperboard, squared it with the screen protector then used an exacto knife on a hard plastic surface to make the cuts. I saved the template for future applications, if necessary.

I'd bet you were going faster, I don't think the software computes the downward component vector (altitude loss) in its calculations

I don't know about the 60C but 60CS is capable of calculating vertical Feet/Second. Also they are not certified for air navigation but are capable of it so true speed (horizontal and vertical combined).

60C has a vertical speed field too. Now you have me wondering. Do you suppose there is altitude data coded into the track log too? I have downloaded several flights into Delorme's topo v5 but have always wanted the altitude to code also so I could 3d model instrument approaches.

Time to figure out how to run some experiments.

I'd bet you were going faster, I don't think the software computes the downward component vector (altitude loss) in its calculations

60C has a vertical speed field too. Now you have me wondering. Do you suppose there is altitude data coded into the track log too? I have downloaded several flights into Delorme's topo v5 but have always wanted the altitude to code also so I could 3d model instrument approaches.

Time to figure out how to run some experiments.

If you look at the elevation log screen you can track back through it using the cursor.

The highest rated NiMH rechargeable AAs that I saw are the Energizers at 2500 mAh. They're made in japan.

Anyone see higher ratings?

Haven't seen anything here in the 60cs forum, maybe there is more info over in the battery forum?

There seems to be no such thing as a Battery Forum... :laughing:

Questions remain:

• Which rechargeable batteries are best (i.e. last longest)?
  • Can I use different types of batteries interchangeably?

My GPS-r really drained a pair of batteries in 2 hours or so while I was simply geocaching...

Edited by BigFurryMonster

125 km/h !! I only managed 90 !

But you're correct -- it is a fun thing to do !

I did some downhill skiing professionally in my younger days. :laughing:

I also used downhill skies when I tested my GPS.

(Carving skies is not good for downhill skiing)