Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

what is it, a secret page?

Yes, and it might just answer that question some folks have regarding determining available memory.

I presume NV is non-volatile RAM--but I didn't look too deeply beyond that...

(I'd suggest NOT using the menu button to reset this info in case your unit has troubles and Garmin needs it for debugging.)

Enjoy,

Randy

Greetings,

Theres a lot of useful info appearing, (well OK, been here a while), on this thread, and most of which I figured out with a good old fashioned play, however there is one thing I can't seem to find out on my own.

If there any way to add proximity alerts in bulk? I want to be able to set certain types of caches, speed cameras etc as proximity waypoints, but don't want to have to type them into the GPSr manually when I have them all as waypoints on mapsource etc.

Cheers and keep up the good advice :ph34r:

Best wishes

Mark

Ironically, after caching this weekend, my 60CS just went down to one bar when I got home.  I just threw a volt meter on it and it showed 1.25 on each NiMH cell.  (1.4ish fully charged)  Most electronics shut off at 1.0 which either means the 60CS won't run under 1.2 volts per cell or the meter is non-linear (like your car's gas gauge if you've ever noticed!)

While it could be non-linear, it is probably also calibrated to Alkaline cells, which are pretty much dead at 1.1-1.2. You can probably get quite a bit of use out of the GPS after it is indicating as dead. This was the same case with early Palm Pilots and rechargables. Palm eventually released a method of changing the battery profile to NiMH, NiCd or Alkaline.

Edited by sacherjj
Ironically, after caching this weekend, my 60CS just went down to one bar when I got home.  I just threw a volt meter on it and it showed 1.25 on each NiMH cell.  (1.4ish fully charged)  Most electronics shut off at 1.0 which either means the 60CS won't run under 1.2 volts per cell or the meter is non-linear (like your car's gas gauge if you've ever noticed!)

While it could be non-linear, it is probably also calibrated to Alkaline cells, which are pretty much dead at 1.1-1.2. You can probably get quite a bit of use out of the GPS after it is indicating as dead. This was the same case with early Palm Pilots and rechargables. Palm eventually released a method of changing the battery profile to NiMH, NiCd or Alkaline.

You can change your battery profile with most Garmins as well. I have found from past experience that you need to run a set of batteries through it before the battery gauge will adapt to the new battery type. For example if you use alkalines and then replace them with NiMH even if you change the profile it will not show a full battery meter until you use them up and replace them with fresh ones. So the battery meter has a memory from one set of batteries to the next in order to tell if you have a fully charged set of batteries.

When I first got the 60CS there was an option to turn on/off turn directions on the map page when autorouting. I prefer it off.

At some point it seems to have switched back to being on. I assumed it was a function of one of the firmware updates.

Can someone tell me how to get it off again. Thanks.

Edited by nonnipoppy
2 questions remaining, when looking at the units in the set-up what does "Statute" mean?

It refers to a statute mile (which is what you use on your hwys) as opposed to a nautical mile (when you hear a ship travelling at 10 knots, it is travelling at 10 nautical miles per hour -- BTW, knot and nautical mile just happen to be coincidental terms. The knot actually refers to the knots in a rope that used to be used for measuring speed.). A nautical mile is 1.15 times longer than a statute mile.

Secondly, with all its amazing functions is there anyway to automatically enter the parking coordinates given in the description of some caches.

Not that I know of.

GeoBC

Another "nice to know" about nautical miles is that each minute of latitude equals one nautical mile. That's particularly helpful when you're looking at a map and don't have a scale.

I think I have seen this somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it!

Does anyone know how to mask the geocache icons in map moder (declutter does not seem to work)

Thanks!

Bob

From the Map Screen hit MENU->Setup Map->ENTR (or from anywhere, hit MENU->MENU->Setup->ENTR->Map->ENTR). Go to the Points tab, (the one that looks like a flag).

In the field marked "User Waypoints" you can set the zoom level at which waypoints will appear on the map. I think the default is set to Auto. I like mine set between 800ft and 1.2mi, depending upon the density of other features.

hi all,

ive noticed when driving my speed on the gps in about 5mph lower than my car says. is this normal? which is correct?

thanks in advance

matt

This has been discussed (in the general forum, I think). The GPSr is accurate to within about .2 mph. It uses the doppler effect from satellite signals. Car speedometers vary more than that with changes in tire size. Apparently, some manufacturers "set" the speedometers to run fast. The theory is that they don't want liability for your traffic tickets. An added bonus is that your warranty will run faster, since the speedometer and odometer use the same gearing. B)

Edit: here's one thread.

Edited by Sputnik 57

sacherjj apparently missed the answer to the "battery" meter--it's NOT a battery meter but a "time left" gauge.

You can adjust it for alkaline/NiMH in the 60CS, but it will vary depending on what features you turn on/off (light on, it drops, light off, it rises, same w/compass). So to figure out how much battery life you have left, you have to compensate mentally for what extras you currently have turned on and estimate how the GPS is interpolating that. IMO, it makes that gauge mostly useless and I find myself yanking the GPS out of it's case, popping open the battery cover and taking a reading w/volt meter before going out.

For hjsc and Sputnik 57, yes, the GPS speedometer is more accurate as stated. In the US, the DOT requires speedos to read from 0-5 MPH higher than the actual rate of speed with OEM tire sizes. It's not the manufacturers choice from what I've heard (on a performance car forum).

So don't misplace the blame--it would really be a bummer to have a speedo read low. Also, if a tire has low pressure, or wears, or is cold, that makes it effectively "smaller", IE, more rotations in a given distance = higher speed reading.

Enjoy,

Randy

thanks for that.

so technically if i got a ticket for going 35mph in a 30 zone they are in the wrong as i was actually doing 30!!!! result

No. Technically if you got a ticket for going 35 in a 30 zone they are right (assuming radar; if they paced you, that is a different story), but you would actually be indicating 40 (or there abouts; certainly more than 35) on your speedometer.

Pilots get drilled on the differences between things like indicated air speed, calibrated air speed, true air speed etc. The results: what you see isn't what you get.

When I first got my 60CS there was a feture that allowed me to look up tide tables from the marine database POI's. Once I downloaded mapsource this feature went away. This seems dumb to me but that's just me.

Does anyone know if/where the marine database POI's can be found on the Garmin site so that I can reinstall it?

I would assume that if this is possibel I will probably loose all the mapsource features but at least then I would have the option of using one or the other depending on what I needed.

I just ordered the 60c and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Thanks for all the info in this post - I'm sure I will be referring to it often as I try to figure out this new unit.

I decided to go for the 60c rather than the 60cs as I can't seem to adjust to an electronic compass. I started caching with a Legend and I still love that little unit. I upgraded to a Vista at one point, but the electronic compass drove me crazy - it was just too jumpy. Ended up going back to using the Legend. I also have a Magellan Meridian Platinum which I have been using for auto routing. It stays in the car when I'm caching though since I still prefer to use my Legend.

I am hoping that the 60c will be a nice combination of the features that I like from the Platinum and the Legend.

When I first got my 60CS there was a feture that allowed me to look up tide tables from the marine database POI's. Once I downloaded mapsource this feature went away. This seems dumb to me but that's just me.

Does anyone know if/where the marine database POI's can be found on the Garmin site so that I can reinstall it?

I would assume that if this is possibel I will probably loose all the mapsource features but at least then I would have the option of using one or the other depending on what I needed.

Here's the link.

http://www.garmin.com/software/Recommended...desSoftware.exe

When you install it it will be added to the mapset list in Mapsource as GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points. From there just select the area you want the tidepoints for just like selecting any other map sections and then upload your whole mapset including your roads and any other maps you want at the same time.

:ph34r:

MacBandit Posted on Feb 25 2005, 07:29 AM

QUOTE (LandRover @ Feb 25 2005, 07:05 AM)

Here's the link.

http://www.garmin.com/software/Recommended...desSoftware.exe

When you install it it will be added to the mapset list in Mapsource as GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points. From there just select the area you want the tidepoints for just like selecting any other map sections and then upload your whole mapset including your roads and any other maps you want at the same time. 

Worked like a charm. :huh:

Thanks

I've had my 60C for about 2 weeks now and I really like this unit. I have tried to read the posts here to learn more. So far the discussion has been helpful. However, I do have 2 questions that I hope can be answered.

1) Lets say I have approx. 10 waypoints loaded in the unit. When I go to waypoints or geocache after I hit "Find" I see for a split second the words "NONE FOUND" then the list of waypoints appear. Could others check your units to see if this is common and post your findings?

2) When I was finding some caches yesterday in "geocaching mode" my unit gave a beep when I was in the vicinity of the cache. I don't remember setting this feature on. Is this automatic?

Thanks for any replies. I just want to be make sure all is well.

I've had my 60C for about 2 weeks now and I really like this unit.  I have tried to read the posts here to learn more.  So far the discussion has been helpful.  However, I do have 2 questions that I hope can be answered.

1)  Lets say I have approx. 10 waypoints loaded in the unit.  When I go to waypoints or geocache after I hit "Find" I see for a split second the words "NONE FOUND" then the list of waypoints appear.  Could others check your units to see if this is common and post your findings?

2)  When I was finding some caches yesterday in "geocaching mode" my unit gave a beep when I was in the vicinity of the cache.  I don't remember setting this feature on.  Is this automatic?

Thanks for any replies.  I just want to be make sure all is well.

1. Yes, it is normal. You are seeing the search start up. Once the list begins to populate, the message is overwritten.

2. <MENU> <MENU> SETUP - TONES - MESSAGE BEEP - You are hearing the tone set here which is triggered with the "Arriving at (waypoint)" message.

Edited by DBleess

I know this thread is primarily aimed at the 60cs, but after reading many posts and doing numerous searches, this seems like the best place to post my question.

I will be purchasing the 76cs as a replacement for my ancient GPS III and will be ordering a RAM mount to use in my SUV. I have seen many favorible comments about these mounts but I was wondering if anyone uses the flex-arm mount or is everyone using the double socket arms? My present unit is set up using a flex arm (not RAM) with a triple suction cup arrangement and has been working very well. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

I am also going to purchase CitySelect and TOPO US.

Let me begin by apologizing for being such a pinhead. I just received my 60c and have read the instructions as well as waded through this thread, and I still can't figure out how to manually enter coordinates into the unit. Can someone please take me by the hand and show me how to do this ;)

Hold the Enter/Mark key

A waypoint with your current lat/lon will show.

Toggle down to the lat/lon field press enter. Excuse me it's called the location field.

You'll be given numbers and arrows to select.

Edit: Should be page 27 of your manual. The Mark Waypoint Page.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Clyde,

Where do you see this info? I tried it on my 60CS but don't see any of the data ;)

Dan

When you exported your waypoint file to the GPSr, did you change the waypoint name tag?

I use %drop2-%dif1a-%ter1a

so waypoint 'GCHHX5' comes out like this HHX5-C-A indicatiing a difficulty of C which equals 3.5 and a terrain of A which equals 1.5

For an explanation of this, after you select send waypoints, from the GPS tab, click in the 'you can ....waypoint name tag' box and then click 'help' on the bottom and it will open a box. When the help screen comes up, click in the same box 'you can ....waypoint name tag' and a 'Waypoint Name' box will come up. Then click on the 'special tags' words in the first sentence. A whole definition of what you can use will come up. Good luck.

Edited by wornout

I have the 60cs and something strange has started to happen. Frequently, it malfunctions while navigating. When I 'm in my truck and driving, everything is fine. However when I get out on foot, the navigation does not work right.

Example:

If I know the cache is due North of me 300 feet, I'll walk North to the cache. My "distance" counts down in feet just like it should but the arrow is consistantly pointing in the wrong direction. This takes place almost 40-50% of the time I cache. I've run the calibration and sometimes it fixes the problem for a short period of time but then it starts again.

I've found many of my caches just by watching the feet count down and trying to follow the correct direction.

Any ideas???

Scoobie

Edited by Scoobie10
I have the 60cs and something strange has started to happen. Frequently, it malfunctions while navigating. When I 'm in my truck and driving, everything is fine. However when I get out on foot, the navigation does not work right.

Example:

If I know the cache is due North of me 300 feet, I'll walk North to the cache. My "distance" counts down in feet just like it should but the arrow is consistantly pointing in the wrong direction. This takes place almost 40-50% of the time I cache. I've run the calibration and sometimes it fixes the problem for a short period of time but then it starts again.

I've found many of my caches just by watching the feet count down and trying to follow the correct direction.

Any ideas???

Scoobie

Sounds like it is not on 'off road' navigation and the needle is pointing to the closest road, not the cache as the feet are counting down. Just a though. When I get close to a cache I hit 'menu', 'recalculate' and 'off-road', works everytime.

Are you using the electronic compass in the 60cs? If your compass is turned on and the unit is not held level (horizontal to the ground with screen facing the sky) then you could get erratic readings.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when you're in the truck and going above a set speed the 60cs will use the GPS signal to compute direction.

Good luck!

Team of Wheat

Are you using the electronic compass in the 60cs? If your compass is turned on and the unit is not held level (horizontal to the ground with screen facing the sky) then you could get erratic readings.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when you're in the truck and going above a set speed the 60cs will use the GPS signal to compute direction.

Good luck!

Team of Wheat

My compass works fine horizontally. But you do need to re-calibrate the compass EVERYTIME you change the batteries!!!

The question was asked in the beginning of this thread, but the responses did not seem to answer the question, at least not so I could understand it.

Is it possible to enter waypoints into the geocaching mode without them showing up on the waypoints page, and visa versa, or are these two pages basically the same thing?

I had a brief moment of panic last night and thought I had toasted my new 60c. It was an extremely cold evening for March - probably close to 0°F with the windchill. It was getting dark by the time I got back to my car so I turned the backlight on the GPS so I could see to find the next closest waypoint. The screen froze up in that "it's too cold, I don't want to work!" sort of way. I tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't even do that.

I pulled the batteries out and let them warm up for a bit. Put them back in, and couldn't get the unit to turn on again. This is where the panic sets in. I let it sit for another 5 minutes or so in the warm car and tried again- still nothing.

I start wondering if there is any sort of hard reset feature on this unit. First thing I tried was to hold the menu button while turning the unit on - it starts up just fine!!!

Not sure if the menu/power combination actually did anything, or if the screen had just finally warmed up to the point where it would work again, but it works fine. All the waypoints and map data were still loaded too. :rolleyes:

I have a 60cs and mapsource . i downloaded nroute. I can only get straight line navigation. No turns at all. what am i doing wrong????

drone

"Mapsource" is a generic term for all of the loadable add-on products. Knowing which one you are working with might help us help you.

I'm not sure what "nroute" is or refers to.

I currently have 52meg of data from the TOPO US cd of the mapsource product line loaded in my 60C. It is routable. To access the routing preferences, try the following steps:

MENU - MENU - SETUP - ROUTING - GUIDANCE METHOD and set that option to your preference. "Prompted" will ask you which of the two other options (Off Road [direct] or Follow Road) that you want to use each time that you tell the GPS to navigate to a new destination.

The biggest problem for me is the road data in TOPO USA is about 20 years old and there have been a lot of new urban roads built in those 20 years.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

QUOTE (drone @ Mar 5 2005, 07:23 PM)

I have a 60cs and mapsource . i downloaded nroute. I can only get straight line navigation. No turns at all. what am i doing wrong????

drone

nRoute is not used on the GPSr, nRoute is used for navigation using your laptop & a GPSr hooked up to it, nRoute & City Select come w/the GPS18 which is a hockey puck shaped GPSr that connects to your laptop. MS City Select is what is used to download maps into you 60CS.

Just received my 60CS [contented sigh :blink: ], upgrading from a trusty Etrex Legend. First thing I looked for was the 60CS version of the OWner Information page from the Etrex - but with no luck.

Does anyone know if the 60 series has this feature and where it might be found?

Thanks.

In the main menu, select setup, at the bottom of the page (you'll have to scroll down) there's a welcome page option. I put my information and a return reward in there.