Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Hi:

I follow the directions and copied the topo maps to my City Select version and then transfer all to my 60 CS. In MapSource I can switch from Topo to City but how do I switch from one map to the other in the GPS unit? I know I can't have both at the same time but i would like to switch from one to the other in the field.

Thanks - hope you have a solution.

CLRL

When both are loaded for one area, only city select will show unless you hide it like this:

From the map screen, press Menu, Menu, highlight Setup, press Enter, highlight Map, press Enter, highlight the Info tab (the "I" with a circle around it). The GPSr will then show the name of the map that is that is currently displayed, with a check box next to it (it may show a topo map, even if the CS is actually being displayed). Press menu again (I know, not very intuitive).

One of the selections (if you have firmware 3.5 or better) is "Hide City Select North A". Scroll down to that and press Enter. When you do this, only the topo maps will show.

Go through the same steps and hit "Show City Select North" to put them back on top.

This seems cumbersome, but it actually isn't that hard, once you learn that on the screen listing the map, you have hit menu again to toggle CS (or any other maps) on and off.

Edit: to provide more detailed step-by-step with unit in front of me, and fix typos.

Edited by Sputnik 57

My new 60cs is supposed to be delivered Saturday, if the FedEx guy doesn't get lost or lose it, and I'm really excited. I have a couple of Delorme Earthmate units in the car and RV that work off the laptop computers, but this will be my first handheld. Can't wait to get out and do some cache hunting! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once it arrives. Has anyone used any of the Garmin instructional videos, and are they worth the money for a newbie?

Edited by MisterNixter
Well, I got my Gilsson antenna and cigarette lighter adapter today; exactly as advertised.  I never saw the strength bars so tall before!  I'm really pleased.  Even though I ordered from GPSGEEK.COM; the package came from Gilsson.

I got my Gillson this week as well, and am now "standing tall." I also added a RAM mount and Topo! Texas 1:24K maps (with a free Topo! 4.0, plus Streets & 3D Views from 4x4 books). I guess I'm done christmas shopping for myself. Off to shop for the rest of the fam.

Couldn't be happier with my Gillson, except that the antenna jack fits SO TIGHT into the GPSr that I have to pry it out to disconnect. Anyone else having this problem?

[Couldn't be happier with my Gillson, except that the antenna jack fits SO TIGHT into the GPSr that I have to pry it out to disconnect. Anyone else having this problem?

So far I've only had to remove it once and it did seem very snug. I think it's maybe because it's so small it just seems more difficult to remove than it actually is.

Quote: [Couldn't be happier with my Gillson, except that the antenna jack fits SO TIGHT into the GPSr that I have to pry it out to disconnect. Anyone else having this problem?]

My antenna fits my 60C fine, seems just right. But my USB plug fits incredibly tight. I sometimes use the serial cable I made just to avoid the chance of loosening the USB jack on the GPSr.

The antenna signals with the external antenna is pretty amazing.

Lakedawgs

I have an antenna from PC-Mobile that was part of a re-radiating package I got for my eTrex Vista. I have plugged the antenna portion into my 60cs and it's extremely tight. I have to use pliers to pull it back out. It's so tight I can't use a screwdriver to pry it out without taking the chance of breaking the plug off.

I had a GPS V, when I bought a new Buick Rendezvous and the GPS could not get a signal through the wind shield. So I bought an external antena with a BNC connection. That solved the problem, but I just got a 60 S and I needed an adapter cable with a MCX male connection to a female BNC. I located one at Gilsson. Now I am back in the sky. With that adapter I do not have to remove it from the 60 S, cause it is one tight fit.

Edited by putt
I had a GPS V, when I bought a new Buik Rendezvous and the GPS could not get a signal through the wind shield. So I bought an external antena with a BNC connection. That solved the problem, but I just got a 60 S and I needed an adapter cable with a MCX male connection to a female BNC. I located one at Gilsson. Now I am back in the sky. With that adapter I do not have to remove it from the 60 S, cause it is oner tight fit.

Hmm I don't have any signal troubles with my 60cs in my car but that could be my location on the dash and the type of windshield my car has.

Has anyone used any of the Garmin instructional videos, and are they worth the money for a newbie?

I bought the training DVD for the 60cs and thought it was worthless. It doesn't get into any details of what you can do with the Garmin. Just the very simple basics that you'd pick up in 10 minutes playing around with it. I felt it was a waste of money. They spent more time on their fishing video promos - and that offended me..

FWIW - keep the money in your pocket!

Mark

Auto makers don't, but others publish such lists.  It's the metallic film that hoses the GPS.  I know I've seen a better list on the 'net somewhere (since I own one such vehicle, the list doesn't help me much but the one at http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp isn't a bad starting place.

Looks like it's primarily an American car thing.

Here is a link to a PDF file, of cars with Metallic Windshields:

http://www.pikepass.com/pdf/2003-08-14%20S...icle%20List.pdf

This is a list of cars that can't have a Toll Pass under the Windshield.

Am looking at possibility of getting a 60CS and would like to get the input of the good folks here that already own one, will the Garmin MetroGuide North America V6 maps work with the 60CS. I ask as I already have a etrex Vista and would like to be able to use the maps in both units, or will I have to get different city map software for the 2 units?

Thanks.

Am looking at possibility of getting a 60CS and would like to get the input of the good folks here that already own one, will the Garmin MetroGuide North America V6 maps work with the 60CS. I ask as I already have a etrex Vista and would like to be able to use the maps in both units, or will I have to get different city map software for the 2 units?

Thanks.

If you are interested, I just ordered my brand new Garmin 60CS from Amazon.com for $368.52 3-4 day delivery. If you sign up for a AmazonPlatinum card they credit your account with $30.00 which helped to make that great price. Need to check Garmin yet to see if they have any rebates or specials.

Edited by Oneyedjack
When both are loaded for one area, only city select will show unless you hide it like this:

From the map screen, press Menu, Menu, highlight Setup, press Enter, highlight Map, press Enter, highlight the Info tab (the "I" with a circle around it). The GPSr will then show the name of the map that is that is currently displayed, with a check box next to it (it may show a topo map, even if the CS is actually being displayed). Press menu again (I know, not very intuitive).

One of the selections (if you have firmware 3.5 or better) is "Hide City Select North A". Scroll down to that and press Enter. When you do this, only the topo maps will show.

Go through the same steps and hit "Show City Select North" to put them back on top.

This seems cumbersome, but it actually isn't that hard, once you learn that on the screen listing the map, you have hit menu again to toggle CS (or any other maps) on and off.

Edit: to provide more detailed step-by-step with unit in front of me, and fix typos.

Thanks, it worked fine with v. 3.4. Just upgraded to 3.6 and still works.

Thanks.

My understanding is that MetroGuuide will work fine on a 60CS, and Garmin lets you register 2 GPSrs for the map loading, so you should be set.

I hear that the most current version of MetroGuide does not support autorouting, which is a pretty slick feature. City Select ver 6 provides autorouting info. Some older version of MetroGuide (ver 4 I think) supported autorouting, but not the latest version. Go figure. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or correct this.

Thanks.

My understanding is that MetroGuuide will work fine on a 60CS, and Garmin lets you register 2 GPSrs for the map loading, so you should be set.

I hear that the most current version of MetroGuide does not support autorouting, which is a pretty slick feature. City Select ver 6 provides autorouting info. Some older version of MetroGuide (ver 4 I think) supported autorouting, but not the latest version. Go figure. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or correct this.

That's correct. You can use Metroguide 6, but you will not be able to autoroute in the 60CS with it. The maps will still be there.

Thanks.

That's correct. You can use Metroguide 6, but you will not be able to autoroute in the 60CS with it. The maps will still be there.

hmmmm ok, thanks. Maybe MetroGuide won't be best option to go with then, as this would be an addition for me on the Vista also. On a different track then will the City Select v6 work on the vista? If it will I think this would be option for me to go with to get most usage out of a 60cs if I buy one.

Sorry to get off topic with these questions, just don't want to be buying different versions of similar programs if I can avoid it.

The City Select Mapping comes in 2 parts, Routing Data, and Mapping. When Downloading mapping to a non-routing GPS you must de-select Routing in the Download screen. SO YOU CAN use it on many Garmins, but without the routing data. Up to 2 unlocks are free with City Select

Edited by GOT GPS?
Can anyone explain to me how I'm to average a waypoint with the 60C? Is this something I do on location or do I do later? Thanks

When you're in your waypoint screen whether you have just chosen the waypoint or you are currently marking it hit the menu button and you will get a list of options including averaging.

Is there a setting on the 60 series that allows you to have the GPSr on but with the screen off? This would be useful while hiking and seems like it would significantly save on battery life.

It would be nice to be able to press or hold a button to turn on/off the display much like you can with the backlight and the power button.

I can't find anything in the manual that refers to this and I'm guessing that this is not a feature that's been implemented. Can anyone think of a downside to this? The only one that immediately comes to my mind is the possibility of running your batteries down thinking that your GPSr is off when in fact it is on. I suppose you would need some sort of indicator letting you know that the receiver is on or you could just live with it.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. :blink: Anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks!

BradW0807

Is there a setting on the 60 series that allows you to have the GPSr on but with the screen off?  This would be useful while hiking and seems like it would significantly save on battery life.

It would be nice to be able to press or hold a button to turn on/off the display much like you can with the backlight and the power button.

I can't find anything in the manual that refers to this and I'm guessing that this is not a feature that's been implemented.  Can anyone think of a downside to this?  The only one that immediately comes to my mind is the possibility of running your batteries down thinking that your GPSr is off when in fact it is on.  I suppose you would need some sort of indicator letting you know that the receiver is on or you could just live with it.

Anyway, I'm rambling now.  :blink:  Anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks!

BradW0807

You can Turn off WAAS, and keep the backlight off, but you would want to leave battery saver OFF. To save a little bit more power you can leave the GPS on the Menu Page, which does not update except for the time at the bottom and the menu bar at the top. On the opposite end, if you have it on the map page with it at maximum detail, and track up mode, you will eat the batteries quicker.

So to answer your question, you can leave it on a static screen, and avoid the map screen.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Received my Garmin 60CS yesterday as promised by Amazon.com, all in all a good experience and a great price too.  I do have on question though for all of you Garmin gurus.  How do you tell what firmware version is installed?  And what firmware upgrade should a new Garmin owner have installed?  :rolleyes:

Read the second the third FAQs here!

Thanks! That really helps! ;)

Panda Fan.

When you display the list of waypoints, press menu and there should be an selection for 'Delete by Symbol'. It may be underneath one more selection. Maybe Delete....

You hit 'delete' in that menu and then it comes back and wants to know what you want to delete by, symbol, all, etc.....and that is all there is to it....

When you're in your waypoint screen whether you have just chosen the waypoint or you are currently marking it hit the menu button and you will get a list of options including averaging.

You do this at the actual coordinate location, right? I know this may sound silly, but I tried averaging the waypoint for my home at work and noticed how the coordinates changed dramatically.

You do this at the actual coordinate location, right? I know this may sound silly, but I tried averaging the waypoint for my home at work and noticed how the coordinates changed dramatically.

Yes, averaging must be done at the waypoint. The GPSr just averages the slightly jumpy reception it is getting there to try to come up with a better number. There is some debate about the value of this.

Some cachers take several independent measurements of a waypoint at differect times, or on different days (for example, when they are placing a cache), and then average them by hand (or with a spreadsheet). Someone (Thot, I think) has a application available to help with this.