Garmin Gpsmap 60cs

Does anyone ever have problems with the rocker button (Garmin calls it the rocker key)? When I try to name a waypoint that I have just marked, when I press up, it goes right instead. Is it just my big fingers or what? It doesn't do it all the .

I noticed the button is smaller than the one on my Sportrak (which never does this).

I e-mailed them about this last week, pointing out that there is a lot more room in that field, room for maybe 60 characters. I got a canned response that said the notes field held 30 characters. Maybe if we all keep bugging them . . .

Yeah there isn't any reason that open it up and let us use the whole notes window. Why have a 3 line window and only let you use 1-1/2 lines? DUMB!

EMAIL THEM, CALL THEM. Make them change it!

I keep my 60CS in Lock On Road/follow Road all the time and have no problems with it automatically changing from map mode to compass-GeoCaching mode when I get close to a cache. You just have to make sure the icon used for the cache's waypoint in the unit matches the icon assigned in the GeoCaching menu (and no they do not have to be the closed/open chest to work. I change mine from caches to benchmarks as needed all the time).

Do you have any idea what I have to set to get my 60cs to 'AUtomatically' change from Follow Road to Off-Road? :ph34r: I do use the same icon (closed chest) in the GeoCaching menu as I do in the cache's waypoint. Thanks

Hey guys,

I've been reading and reading and reading this awesome thread and I believe I have finally decided to get the 60CS.

I'd like to protect this really cool gadget from the elements (ok, well, from me mainly :lol: ), but I have yet to see any cases made for it. Am I just looking in the wrong place or is this still too new a device?

I'll be doing some hiking as well as using it in my car for navigation. I'm really looking for something that covers the unit and protects the screen with a clear "window' similar to what you can get for the eTrex series. I've heard of people using PDA screen stick on protectors, but was really wanting a more full body protection. I'm sure I'll have to take it out of it's case to mount it in the car though.

Thanks!

Brad

Brad,

It comes with a pretty decent belt clip and 'button' style attachment to the GPSr. I also purchased the case for it. I think its more referenced for the 76 series, but it is perfect for the 60 series. It is padded and loops onto your belt. Nicer than I expected for $10-12.

I use a RAM suction mount on the windshield of my car. $42, a little steep, but an awesome product. The Garmin suction mount is $30+ and have heard good and bad about it, but the RAM mounts are superb.

Good luck,

Lakedawgs

60cs nepre case..

I tried my neopream jacket from my sportrax and the 60 slid right in like it was made for it, except for the belt clip pivot at the back. I may just cut to fit if I start to use the case. But I found the extra layer of clear plastic hard to see through. I know it doesn't fit snugly against the glass.

Battery Case:

Big big impovement over the maggie battery design and stripped micro screws. Ya man. (What was Maggie thinking in that design....)

ps

Don't get me wrong. Still like the old maggie, but the 60 is the big brother now. The Garmin 12 is almost forgotten now. That was another world and another time.

Edited by tneigel
I love the screen shots of the geocaching mode on the Garmin site. So, am I suppose to type in my own hints for the caches or am I missing some secret instructions in the manual?

Wulf

GSAK will add the hints, but there isn't enough room in the note field most of the time. I also e-mailed Garmin about making the note field hold more characters. Got a generic response from them.

Not sure if anyone here knows the answer, but I'll throw it out there anyway. I was curious to see if there was a way to know what the total amount of accumulated time the unit has been turned on?

In other words, since it was manufactured how many hours has the unit been used? I went into the diagnostic mode, and got a screen full of information. There were 2 time fields.

One showed the time elapsed since master reset. The other just showed time. I'm not sure if this was some sort of internal clock, becuase it wasn't set to the right time. It was actually about 3 hours ahead, or could this be the total time? At the time I looked it showed 19:24:54 and it was counting upwards.

I supposed I could wait another 5 hours and see if it hits 00:00:01... oh well just curiuos.

Hey there.

Downloaded upgrade from firmware 3.4 to 3.5. It said I would lose all the POI that came installed. SO, I downloaded the file that said it would put those back on.

Upgraded, then ran the reinstall for POI info. It allows me to put the Marine POIs on, but nothing else. In fact, the POI icon disappeared from FIND. Also, during setup of the POI recovery, the program calls itself "Marine POI Database Recovery". There is no option for anything else in the program, nor on the website (that I can see). Am I just missing something, or is this common. Any ideas? I don't have any other maps besides the base that was preinstalled.

Searched, didn't find the answer in any other threads. TIA.

What a complex device. It's great to revue and learn more about this little wizard.

Most useful accessories...

This forum:)

Screen savers (Radio Shack cheapies) A must! Better to apply before scratching screen...

Gilsson/GPSGeek external antenna+ground plane. Greatly improves signal in trees and even in the open.

~3-6" round piece of sheet metal mounting. Small piece of sheet metal improves signal quite a bit, when not attached to car body (at least on my early model unit).

Energizer 1200mah NiMH batteries.

Please be careful of the swivel clips and swivle knobs! The knob will become unscrewed and the swivel assembly looks just like the one's on my cell phones that break off or fall apart. A little thread lock will keep the knob from coming loose.

-

Greenjeens

Most useful accessories...

This forum:)

Screen savers (Radio Shack cheapies) A must! Better to apply before scratching screen...

Gilsson/GPSGeek external antenna+ground plane. Greatly improves signal in trees and even in the open.

~3-6" round piece of sheet metal mounting. Small piece of sheet metal improves signal quite a bit, when not attached to car body (at least on my early model unit).

Energizer 1200mah NiMH batteries.

Are you using an auto mount? I about to get a Gilsson, and wonder what auto mount to get so that the antenna, power cord and USB cord can be plugged in while in the mount. Is there such a creature?

I want to purchase a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS but want to get the best deal possible. Does anyone know of any online retailers offering really good prices? The best I've found so far is at Amazon for $381.00. The units are very popular on ebay and very rarely go for less that $375.00.

Hey guys,

I've been reading and reading and reading this awesome thread and I believe I have finally decided to get the 60CS.

I'd like to protect this really cool gadget from the elements (ok, well, from me mainly :laughing: ), but I have yet to see any cases made for it. Am I just looking in the wrong place or is this still too new a device?

I'll be doing some hiking as well as using it in my car for navigation. I'm really looking for something that covers the unit and protects the screen with a clear "window' similar to what you can get for the eTrex series. I've heard of people using PDA screen stick on protectors, but was really wanting a more full body protection. I'm sure I'll have to take it out of it's case to mount it in the car though.

Thanks!

Brad

Brad, sorry this may be late. I havn't kept up to date with this thread the way I should. I found the Magellan Sportrak case made of neoprene and plastic is almost a perfect fit for the 60cs and it's reasonably priced. Check it out. It may be just what you want. Works for me. :rolleyes:

Re: cases

I just received the "sharkskin" case that TheGPSStore sells:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=BE130

It sounds like what BradW0807 is looking for. I like it so far. The "sharkskin" has a really nice grippy feel. The swivel clip stud can protude thru a hole designed for that purpose and still function. The top ring of the case is elastic and it fits very tightly around the 60 overall. Using the buttons is impeded a little, but not much (may change in really cold weather however).

Recommended.

Thanks for all of the input on cases guys! I've still not decided yet; the main reason being that someone told me that Gilsson Industries will be coming out with a neoprene case for the 60 series sometime this month (eBay store under gpsgeek). I'm going to try to wait until I can see that one to make a decision.

Don't know if that will affect anyone else's decision, but I thought I'd throw that tidbit of info out there.

So far it looks like a choice among the following for the 60 C/CS:

- Magellan Sportrak neoprene case

- "Sharkskin" case model BE130 from http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail.asp?product_id=BE130

- Gilsson Industries neoprene case (to be released this month)

Great forum!

Brad

I browsed through the topic before asking this question, and I saw another person ask it, but never saw an answer. I accidently downloaded all my waypoints into my 60CS, and it overflowed. Now I want to erase ALL the waypoints from my GPS so I can load only the ones I want in there. How do you erase all the waypoints in the GPS?

I have both MapSource and GSAK, so if there is an option in one of those that will do the job, that will work too.

Awesome info on this thread, I've learned a lot! Just received my 60 CS this week along with City Select North America v6, car mount and cigarette adapter ($822 Canadian including shipping from GPScity.com). Ordered an external antenna from gpsgeek today for use in the car and dense bush. Went out this morning and found my first two caches - awesome unit. I am also thoroughly impressed with the Auto-routing in the car. Everytime I deviate from the suggested road the unit is extremely quick at recalculating my path. I also love the colour screen!!

Interesting to read about all the challenges new owners face trying to setup the map software, etc. This is not for the technically challenged!!!

Cache-on!! :blink:

I'm a real newbie and have probably just missed the right place to look, but I would like to try geocaching with my tungsten T3 and 60cs. What programs do I need so that I can download the waypoints and info from geocaching.com and then transfer the waypoints and notes to the 60cs and the other info to my T3.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Try this one

http://www.gilsson.com/

I went on their site and they said they had stopped selling direct. I tried a couple of their dealers, but they either used Paypal (which I refuse to use unless I hear something positive about them.) or I coulndn't find it on their site. Very frustrating to have the credit card info all ready, had the items in the cart, and it wanted me to register for Paypal. Not even. !

tusen takk allikevel, min Norske venn.

Try this one

I went on their site and they said they had stopped selling direct. I tried a couple of their dealers, but they either used Paypal (which I refuse to use unless I hear something positive about them.) or I coulndn't find it on their site. Very frustrating to have the credit card info all ready, had the items in the cart, and it wanted me to register for Paypal. Not even. !

FWIW, my wife uses PayPal extensively on eBay for several years, and I have used it several time, and neither of us has had a problem.

Try this one

I have used Paypal for several years, without any problem.

It's connected to my Mastercard (Eurocard).

Fungerer som hakka møkk <_<

How often do you have to recalibrate your compass?  It seems that I need to recalibrate way too often. <_<

Anybody else have this experience?

You have to do it every time you change the batteries.

Thanks for the info, I think I read that in May when I got the 60cs, but had forgotten. I too though I was recalibrating often but then again, I change the batteries because I use it a lot.

I have the same problem with calibrating the compass. When the thing points in whatever direction I am facing, I figure it needs calibration. That takes care of the problem. I think there is a correlaiton between turning it off in one spot and turning it on at some distance away, but that is not a scientific observation, just something that seems to be so.