Move Over Rover!

Let's say a cache has been placed and received good traffic for awhile. Suddenly, some outside force comes in contact with it and the container is busted and the contents are strewn about.

Other cachers log of the demise and another cache finder bundles up whats left and replaces it the best he could.

No hear from the owner promts the local approver to disable it until the much needed maintenance is done. The approver states that when it is repaired or replaced, the owner can enable it again. I will put emphasis on the word "OWNER".

But... Before the owner can do the maintenance, another cacher takes EVERYTHING, logbook and all, and places a new cache-lock, stock and barrel.

Something with this scenario bothers me. Is it right to do this? Shouldn't we give the owner a little more time? I disagree with this process.

But... Before the owner can do the maintenance, another cacher takes EVERYTHING, logbook and all, and places a new cache-lock, stock and barrel.

That's an awful big But... :P How much time is "..."? Hours? Days? Weeks? If it was disabled that was wrong. If it was archived, the area is up for grabs.

we have caches in our area owned by inactive owners--haven't visited site in a year, won't answer e-mails--I have fixed up a few of those...or placed new ones if they've gone missing-- I don't get a find, but other cachers get to visit and log a nice site... We also have caches in our area owned, in some cases by famous active cachers who live out of state and don't maintain their caches after numerous DNF's . Eventually somebody requests that they be archived...

The owner should be given some time at least two months before they lose ownership of the cache, then it should be archived and the geo litter removed.

And as Opey stated "But... Before the owner can do the maintenance, another cacher takes EVERYTHING, logbook and all, and places a new cache-lock, stock and barrel.

What bothers me with this is that there could be the possibility that the "another cacher" made arrangements to have the cache muggled so they could lay claim to a good spot.

We have a Cache here in CO that is almost an example of what Opey is talking about. On September 13, 2003 the cache was found to "had been moved out into the open in the middle of a field of short grass. (In plain view from the path)" And on December 17, 2003 "Found the cache this time, unfortunately it was scattered about the location and the Cache Box Was Gone. Did my best to conceal remaining items in the original location. The camera is fully exposed and needs to be processed. Signed Log but took nor left anything. Too bad people can't be more respectfull!!!"

So my son and I waited until the 20th. of December and removed the remains of the cache and EMailed the owner telling him the location of this stuff so it is now almost June and Admin will shortly archive this cache. The owner has been given

more than enough time to replace or repair this cache.

I'm missing something here.

Was the cache disabled or archived? One's temporary, the other's permanent.

Did the second cacher just replace the container,et al; or did they put out a whole new cache with a differant waypoint and name?

Is the original owner still active in geocaching? And if so, why didn't he do something?

The owner should be given some time at least two months before they lose ownership of the cache, then it should be archived and the geo litter removed.

And as Opey stated "But... Before the owner can do the maintenance, another cacher takes EVERYTHING, logbook and all, and places a new cache-lock, stock and barrel.

What bothers me with this is that there could be the possibility that the "another cacher" made arrangements to have the cache muggled so they could lay claim to a good spot.[\QUOTE]

O.K. Upon further examination, this was not the case. Yeah, the new cacher did take all, but there was plenty of time for adopting the cache. The "another cacher" is a good and upstanding pillar of the geocaching community, and I regret even thinking such of a situation. I acted in haste and that's how my post started. Shame on me for even starting such a post without fully researching the topic.

The cache owner was given plenty of time to act, but never gave any regard to the approver's statements, and I agree that it was then active as "anybodys ball".

Really sorry on my part. Where's that embarrassed smiley again???

QUOTE: Screwed up on the quote, but you all get the message.

Edited by opey one
I'm missing something here.

Was the cache disabled or archived? One's temporary, the other's permanent.

Did the second cacher just replace the container,et al; or did they put out a whole new cache with a differant waypoint and name?

Is the original owner still active in geocaching? And if so, why didn't he do something?

1. The cache was temporarily disabled by the approver.

2. The other cacher replaced the entire cache, but left it at same coordinates.

3. The original owner seems to be AWOL

4. The other cacher had "fair game" in his behalf and chose to do what all good cachers should do.

5. I'm such an a** and regret even starting such a thread.

Any more questions? :blink:

Escape velocity and out of body experience are the same. FACT.

Hoffa was killed somewhere, but his body is buried at Giant's Stadium.

My out of body experience led me to the 10 yard line. That's as far as I got.

Nope, I didn't take anything, but I left a green rubber snake and an earth day pin. :blink: