Tins

Tins are pretty and they seem to just BEG to be made into caches, but whenever I find one the log book is all wet (including one of my own).

These things work well in weather-sheltered locations and should be reserved there for. (Don't want a rule, just a suggestion to those who can't resist their allure.)

As for my own cache, I am searching for a waterproof container of nearly identical size and shape. It has lasted over a year in a very busy park and I don't want to chance changing it too much. Sorry for the wet logs- I try to replace them frequently.

Tins are a good justification for a cache without a log book. Carefully chosen trinkets can survive. Log books cannot.

My 2c

Bang on, CCD. Every tin I've come across has a damp, soggy logbook. If you can't resist using tins, you can buy silica gel packages here. Silica gel is a desiccant, and can keep your cache dry, even in a tin in the state of Washington. At least, if you replace it occasionally. You've probably seen silica gel with your stereo equipment, in a shoebox or the pocket of a new coat.

In all honesty, I have no idea how well silica gel works, how much moisture it can absorb etc. I just have blind faith in any product that can't be purchased from Wal-Mart, and silica gel is one of them.

Tins are pretty and they seem to just BEG to be made into caches, but whenever I find one the log book is all wet (including one of my own).

These things work well in weather-sheltered locations and should be reserved there for.

I've noticed the same thing about hide-a-key containers. I put this micro-cache in a weather-sheltered spot, but unknown to me the spot is used as a urinal by a certain segment of the population, so the log still got wet. :P

rusty_tlc wrote:

Or you could move to the desert. They work great here, but rabbit skin sandals last 500 years around here too.

Finally, a realistic solution! :P

On the website I listed, http://www.trade-india.com/dyn/gdh/tradele...als/Silica_Gel/, it is possible to buy silica gel. If you get some, ChurchcampDave, let everyone know how it works! It just might revolutionize geocaching for those of us who don't live in the desert, and aren't fanatical enough to move there just to keep our logbooks dry.

Tins are a good justification for a cache without a log book. Carefully chosen trinkets can survive. Log books cannot.

No they aren't and yes they can. Placing the log in a small, 3 or 4 mil Ziploc will do the trick. Or make it out of NG Adventure Paper. Either way, the log will stay dry.

No they aren't and yes they can. Placing the log in a small, 3 or 4 mil Ziploc will do the trick. Or make it out of NG Adventure Paper. Either way, the log will stay dry.

Doesn't work

Have found several with log books in plastic bags, soaked to pulp.

Problem with ziplocks especially, and plastic bags in general in small caches is that they have to be repeatedly folded to fit in and they take up a lot of space that could hold small trinkets. (I consider the purpose of using a tin generally is to provide SOME room for trading)

Plastic bags tend to lose their seals when folded.

With a small log book and a folded plastic bag you generally end up with a rusty wet cache that has nothing but a damp (I'm being kind) log book in it.

Might as well use a "waterproof" matchbox. (I realize that shape is sometimes a major factor, and that "waterproof" does not necessarily always mean "waterproof".)

What does "properly maintained" mean? Each person that reseals it creates the potential of a bad seal. Do you check the cache immediately after each find?

ChurchcampDave wrote:

Problem with ziplocks especially, and plastic bags in general in small caches is that they have to be repeatedly folded to fit in and they take up a lot of space that could hold small trinkets. (I consider the purpose of using a tin generally is to provide SOME room for trading)

With a small log book and a folded plastic bag you generally end up with a rusty wet cache that has nothing but a damp (I'm being kind) log book in it.

Might as well use a "waterproof" matchbox. (I realize that shape is sometimes a major factor, and that "waterproof" does not necessarily always mean "waterproof".)

What does "properly maintained" mean? Each person that reseals it creates the potential of a bad seal. Do you check the cache immediately after each find?

Dave's right about Ziplocks. Though the heavy ones work pretty well, I myself have accidently ripped one while trying to remove the logbook. Fortunately it was near a store and I bought another, but keeping things dry in any container that is less than waterproof is very difficult.

Which is why I said "small Ziploc". No need to fold. You place a small (1x2 or 2x3), heavy duty Ziploc (3 or 4 mil) and it will last quite a while. And add in regular owner maintenance and the chance of the log staying dry is as good as in any other container. That, or as I and another poster suggested, make your log out of NG Adventure paper.

Edited by briansnat

Which is why I said "small Ziploc". No need to fold. You place a small (1x2 or 2x3), heavy duty Ziploc (3 or 4 mil) and it will last quite a while. And add in regular owner maintenance and the chance of the log staying dry is as good as in any other container. That, or as I and another poster suggested, make your log out of NG Adventure paper.

Only drug dealers use those small bags, right Brian? :blink:

Inside of tin is 1.5 x 1 approx. You still gotta fold. Of course the TIN cxould be put in a ziplock. I've seen that done (and fail) too.

What you have here is a failure to select the correct type of tin. Tobbaco tins are perfect. I have a supply from the good ol/ bad ol days when I smoked a couple of oz.'s a a week in my pipe. Tobbaco tins have as seal inside made of expanded poly something or other. Not water proof, but weather proof. And the right size for midi's.

If you want to buy silica gel...

There is a type of cat litter that is made of silica gel. You can buy a huge bag of it then just make a little bag out of cloth or something that will let moisture in.

I can't remember the name of it though but it looks just like small white rocks.

What you have here is a failure to select the correct type of tin. Tobbaco tins are perfect. I have a supply from the good ol/ bad ol days when I smoked a couple of oz.'s a a week in my pipe. Tobbaco tins have as seal inside made of expanded poly something or other. Not water proof, but weather proof. And the right size for midi's.

Great thought.

I guess since I don't smoke or chaw, I could just buy it and throw out the nasty stuff inside (or use it for potpouri- it DOES smell good if you don't burn it)

What brands are good? (so I don't have to buy a lot of stuff I don't want just to find out)

What you can do with the tobacco inside is make 'tobacco tea' for spraying your lawn. Nicotine is a very effective insecticide. Just put the tobacco in hot water, let it sit for a day or so, and spray through your hose-end sprayer. I mix it with a can of cheap beer, a can of cola, some ammonia, some Lysol, and a little dish soap, ala Jerry Baker. You do need to filter it, either by putting it in cheesecloth or a nylon stocking or something, or by pouring it through same if you just put the tobacco in the water as is. For a couple of bucks you can kill all the bugs in your yard. For just a little more you can fertilize it, too.

Quadcache wrote:

If you want to buy silica gel...

There is a type of cat litter that is made of silica gel. You can buy a huge bag of it then just make a little bag out of cloth or something that will let moisture in.

I can't remember the name of it though but it looks just like small white rocks.

Thanks for the tip, Quadcache. I'm going to try some and see if it works. Hehe, it'd be a dirty trick, but instead of a "TNLN" is can say, "Took nothing, left cat litter."

Could I suggest using waterproof paper? I've used it very successfully on some of my micros that aren't waterproof. It works great:

National Geographic Adventure Paper

You could suggest, but this obviously needs some more emphasis. WATERPROOF paper, folks. Problem solved.

EMS sells this sort of paper too, look for a yellow notepad ("All-Weather Pocket Journal - Rite in the Rain"). I am currently field testing paper from one of these in a fake rock - which doesn't seal nicely at all. It is working just fine.

Rite in the Rain

Edited by CordedTires

there are ammo cans about the size of a paperback book. we use them in the coast guard for 9mm ammo during boardings. they are waterproof and can hold about 3 to 4 magazines. i don't know where you could get one comercially, but i'm doing my best to talk one of the gunners mates into giving me one. as for the 50 cal. ammo boxes, i've got about 20 waiting to be made into good caches!