How Long Should Initializing Take?

2GeoGrannies

I just got my MagPlat and I set the init process. I seem to be only pulling in 3-4 satellites and after 15 minutes I still get no 3D in the upper right corner that indicates I can set a way point. How long does this process take? I live in the mountains, but I stood in the street clear of trees and it didn't make a difference.

Okay....it took about 25 minutes....now I have my home marked...wheee!!

Edited by 2GeoGrannies

As you have discovered, the intial out-of-the-box satellite lock takes a while. I just got a new Vista a couple of days ago. I tore it out of the FedEx box as fast as I could, threw some freshly charged batteries in it, and tossed it out in the front yard so it could get a lock. Didn't even bother to go back out and check it for at least 30 minutes, but when I did, it was happily locked on with a 15 foot accuracy. :P

But, from now on, your unit should only take a minute or two to get a lock, unless you travel a really long distance without turning it on.

If you have a clear view of the sky...as in an open field, about 10 minutes. If you don't maybe never. When I first received my unit I had it in the street in front of my house and it didn't initialize after 30 minutes. I'm on the side of a mountain and there are a lot of trees, so there is not a good view of the sky. I drove to a nearby ballfield and put the unit on the pitchers rubber and it was good to go after about 10 minutes.

My Vista took about 2-3 minutes or less to get its initial lock. I suspect someone had used it before, but it was brand new and all the packaging was sealed. Not only that but I had put it next to the window, so it only had a view of half the sky when I did that. Strange.

Now if it's in clear sky it gets a lock in less than 10 seconds most of the time.