GPS

Guest cowspots41

Guest cowspots41

Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if one always needs to use a GPS navigator in order to find the caches, or if, with enough "hints", we'd be able to do this on our own, because we don't own a GPS navigator????? I'd really like to do this with my son for homeschooling but can't afford to purchase the device! Thanks for any help!

------------------

Lisa:)

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by cowspots41:

Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if one always needs to use a GPS navigator in order to find the caches, or if, with enough "hints", we'd be able to do this on our own, because we don't own a GPS navigator?

If you are good enough with map and compass, you should be able to find ANY location using just the coordinates.

Guest brokenwing

It would be possible to find a few, (a very few) because some caches are pretty obvious, especially if you are familiar with the area. Without the GPS, however you'll never be able to hide any caches, an integral part of the sport.

Keep in mind that new GPSR's can be had for around 100 dollars, and used ones can be even cheaper. You might check EBAY for used units, for example.

I personally think you will find the GPS investment worthwile. This is a great family activity. I am starting to realize though, once you become addicted like us, the GPS is just the tip of the iceberg financially. There are also gas expenses, a good compass, other must have hiking gear, geocaching clothes, DEET, sunblock, batteries, cache stuff, etc, etc, etc. I don't want to discourage you, it's a good addiction, but it's not a free sport.

It's all a matter of priority financially, we would give up a lot of things to be able to continue to geocache, it means that much to us.

If you still think this is out of your budget, but you like the idea, you might check out letterboxing. Letterboxing is a similar activity however letterboxing does not generally use a GPS. Most letterboxes use clues to guide you to the area. Even with letterboxing, most of the other stuff other than the GPS you'll eventually buy anyway, making the price difference minimal.

Good luck!

brokenwing

Guest cowspots41

Thanks for the quick answers! I just read about this activity in the Aug. 3 edition of Entertainment Weekly in their Internet section and was intrigued by what I read. I may consider investing in a GPS navigator after I've done more research. I never really learned how to use a compass but can use a map just fine. I'll check back here regularly for info!

------------------

Guest k2dave

Just though I'd weigh in w/ my $0.02. Compaired to a lot of other activities, Goecaching is one of the cheapest ones around. Used GPS's can be had for about $60 and as long as they are fairly recent - you will not be at a disadvantage (waas in another story but if you are geocaching in trees forget waas.)

You might be able to find geocaches by the clues alone (and the topo maps given by this site) but you will not be able to narrow the search area that much using maps.

One that comes to mind is one I placed at plattekill: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4576 . You should not need a gps since the landmark is pretty obvious and on the maps provided at the area. This one is probabally not the best one for someone wanting to conserve $ since is it geared more to lift served mtn bikers and hikers- but you can go there and walk up too.

I know of others that with the cheat hint you should be ok w/ the topo map and discrption alone.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of home schooling is this? I can understand map reading and learning how to use the gps but it seems like you just want to use the hints. I'm just curious.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

If you don't mind me asking, what part of home schooling is this? I can understand map reading and learning how to use the gps but it seems like you just want to use the hints. I'm just curious.

Map reading, studying lat/lon, earth science - including botany and wildlife as well as possibly geology, also mathematics (possible conversion of DD.ddddd to DD MM.mmm) and many other possibilities. That's always been one of my arguments for why I cache. The educational value of going out in the wild.

Guest ground pounder

A couple thoughts from a forester who has gotten turned around SEVERAL times in his career:

1) Please buy, AND LEARN TO USE, a compass. Batteries have a mind of their own and seem to go dead at real inconvenient times. High tech is nice but be sure you can find your way out the old-fashioned way.

2) At regular intervals, and especially when changing direction, look behind you. Things WILL look differently on the way out. Mental (or written) notes of unique objects (rocks, trees, clearings, old home sites) should help keep things familiar. "Ok, at the rock that looks like Uncle Norm, we go left".

3) Take a topo quad sheet with you (preferably the one for the area you plan to be in - yes, I have done that too!) and mark the location of your vehicle when you leave.

www.maptech.com has quads on CD that work very well. If you get turned around, by referencing your quad sheet and compass to North, you can generally determine which hollow or ridge you happen to be in or on, and figure your way out.

Guest k2dave

ave a good day pack (w/ camelback hydration) 1st aid kit, altemeter/compass watch, hiking boots and shoes, Maps.

From scuba I have a compass (I could get away w/ a cheaper compass but I like the idea of having one that could withstand depths of 500ft)

From, well just loving nature, I got a NYS empire passport (state park season pass)

Now all the above I got before I even knew geocaching existed so I really don't count them into the cost. And is why I considered it a cheep sport but if you have to get even 1/2 those things it could run into some $$$ - but there are much more expensive activities out there.

After learning about geocaching, I've spent about $61. This includes 4 ammo boxes for about $30, Ivy block for $12, poison ivy remover for about $7, anti itch cream for about $7 and a $5 donation to this site.

I personally think it's a great idea to get some schooling in wherever and make it as fun as you can - most likely more memorable too but it is spending too much time on a few subjects. I'm not criticizing - actually I am considering the merits of home schooling myself (don't worry my wife will handle english and spelling icon_wink.gif ). Just value your opinion.

Guest cowspots41

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Map reading, studying lat/lon, earth science - including botany and wildlife as well as possibly geology, also mathematics (possible conversion of DD.ddddd to DD MM.mmm) and many other possibilities. That's always been one of my arguments for why I cache. The educational value of going out in the wild.

Thanks for pointing out the areas which would apply to schooling, such as science, geography,(oops-you mentioned geology!), etc. Many areas of study can fit under geocaching, and it makes it fun in the process too!

------------------