How Did You Pick Your Username?

Team Noltex

Criminal... Chris... let's hear it! If your brain isn't addled too badly by that car accident - glad you're okay.

My lovely wife and I began caching, I had done a cache before her so set up my account as OddTodd. My name is Todd and as some will attest, odd.

When my lovely wife set up her account, the Rhyming/2Syllable method was the pattern of the day, Michele became CheleBell.

My wife and I will have been married for 5 years on the Solstice of '04. We're still on our honeymoon. She and I are in step, and if separated at a party will tell the exact same stories to everyone - in order to not bore them to tears we usually stick together.

After many failures on my part to find caches without her, I recommended that we combine our user names into one. There begins the name Cadence - our last name is 'Cady' and one of the definitions for cadence is Pace, in-step. It seemed to fit. To maintain our own identities, I parenthesized our individual names.

I became a ham radio operator in September of '03, so added my callsign. My lovely wife needed an addition, so I added XYL to hers - that's Ham talk for 'My Wife' -okay, okay, it really means eX Young Lady - but she's still young, she's just mine.

Usually I'm the only one to post on the forums, and I'm told that Cadence can also be a woman's name - this gets confusing for some.

Nice topic, thanks!

OddTodd - K7PKT

First letter of each person in our family, in reverse chronological order.

My wife gets credit for coming up with the name. We had been making soap for Christmas gifts and she thought that adding some labels would be a nice finishing touch. She came up with 'jcar soapworks' as the name to put on the label.

As I was sitting trying to decide what the userid should be, she suggested I use jcar, since this was going to be something we did as a family. (Although it has become more my hobby now.)

My story isn't real interesting but here it goes. I'm married to a Ironworker (aka Ironman 114) so when I joined geocaching he suggested the name, IronMaiden. I liked it.

It was better than the name I was thinking of at first.... Targetgirl cause that is where I work.

BTW I do remember the band IronMaiden when I was growing up.... Yep I'm old. <_<

To IronMaiden:

Ni! Ni!

I guess they'll never get that one either......

They won't get this one either:

Now find me another shrubbery but this time make it abit smaller.......... Then go and cut down the biggest tree in the forest withhhhhhhhhhhhhh A HERRING!!!!!!!

Nice to see someone is on the same sense of humor. :back:

Edited by IronMaiden
To IronMaiden:

Ni! Ni!

I guess they'll never get that one either......

C'mon who doesn't know that?

Where I went to college no one who majored in any science, math, or engineering was allowed to graduate without explaining how to determine if a witch is really a witch.

/topichijack

Edited by Bull Moose

Glitche Ente = Rubber Ducky in German.

A friend of mine sent me a song in German and asked me to translate it for him. It ended up being a dance remixed version of the song Ernie and Bert (I think) used to sing... "Rubber Ducky you're the one, you make bathtime lots of fun..."

I'm always happy when I open up a box and find a rubber ducky inside. I have collected about 15-20 of them so far.

-Dan

BTW: I met my goal. Plus, I qualified for, and ran the Boston Marathon in April '99.  My twins were born 4 weeks after Boston, and I've been gaining weight ever since.

Yeah PDX, you're a huge one. Heck, I think I make 3 of you.

Anyway, my name comes from the fact that I was a mechanic for 20 years in the Navy and now I make computer chips. My old caching name was retiredusn, but I like this one better.

I have used Shop99er as an internet name since I first connected, many moon ago.

It comes from the shop that I did my Apprenticeship in, was a Journeyman in, and am now a Supervisor in.

The real Shop99 has been a very good place for me, at least, to work for the last 20 years, and I have always had a very strong loyalty to it.

The first week of college me and some friends were hanging out and we met some girls. We got to talking and I said something my friends thought was really dumb and said I was "dumb as a stump". Or so they thought, ended up my "dumb" statements got us invited to their party and we ended up hanging out with the girls the rest of the year.

Anyway, the next day I was hanging out with one of the girls and she decided I needed an internet account (it was the early days of the 'net before www) and asked what people called me. I said I was called stump the day before, she set the account up and the name Stump stuck with me all through college.

With my getting "stump"ed at a lot of caches (as my DNF's can attest) it seems appropriate to continue the nickname here.

Edited by gaviidae
Ummmmm, does gaviidae mean "stump" in some language? :unsure:

We always thought it meant loon! :tongue:

Urp! :huh:

Yes, Gaviidae is the family name of Loon. I was able to get an unused but previously reserved name and changed my username last week. I guess it hasn't made it to the forums yet. :unsure: Click on profile and it says I'm Stump.

Urp!  <_<

...I was able to get an unused but previously reserved name and changed my username last week. I guess it hasn't made it to the forums yet.  :lol:

Have you 'updated' your info in the forums? From your profile page, click on the "Discuss Geocaching" link in the left hand column and it should fix that for you.

If it doesn't, do a lot of logging out and back in, in some unknown order and life will be golden.

-=-

michelle

I posted the origins of my name a long time ago back in the General Forums, but not here.

Of course, my love of mountain biking was the source for my name, but the spelling of it is due to AOL. Back in 1991 when I signed up for that service, user names could only be 10 letters. "Mountain Biker" or "Mountain Bike" was too long, so I condensed it to Moun10Bike (I can't remember if I tried for MTB or variations). I became known by that identity and used it in various online forums afterwards, then brought it with me to Geocaching.com.

I picked my username in the early days, after my brother - madpeoples, I just reversed them to spell dampeoples. Kinda lame, but way back when, confronted with a screen asking me for a username...it was daunting :blink:

I've since started using my real name a lot, Sterling Peoples(.com) because I think it's cool :lol:

The name Xangxa was given to me by the cannibals of the Highlands of Papua New Guinea in the South Pacific. The letter X has the I.P.A. pronounciation: a harsh XH or KH sound as in the Scottish word "loch." It means "big" due to my comparative height.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer the bean-pole of a foreigner they knew in the 80's. Now they'd probably call me "Feeds Family of Eight." ;)

Living in SoCal all my life (until 2 yrs ago) we took many trips into San Diego. Having a sister named Sandy, I was a bit put off that a town could be named after her and not me. Being 6 at the time and thinking myself quite witty, I came up with Robinego. The family has yet to let me forget so I just go with it. I'm too old to change now.

Robin

When I started 'chatting' online...way back in the fall of 1995...I discovered that I needed an online 'identity'. That identity was taken from the JRR Tolkien books The Lord of the Rings. Since Gandalf was entirely too popular, I chose one of his other names...the one the Elves used when addressing him...Mithrandir, or Mith for short.

When I moved to a different chat site and wanted a new identity for awhile, I chose a different character from another author, Terry Brooks, and set of books, the first of which is The Sword of Shannara. That character is Allanon.

Unfortunately, the name Mithrandir is now also quite popular and is getting harder to reserve/register...and in fact, someone already had it registered here. Since Allanon is not as 'popular' so I usually get that as my second choice. ;)

The Official Terry Brooks Website

The first time I used this name was for Geocaching. I had to come up with a nickname that hadn’t been used, and there you have it….. I also own Kiltsurfer.com, which I hope to update in the next month or so…..

The year that my wife and I decided to get married we were invited to 5 other weddings. In the planning stages we decided to do something totally different, and if you know me at all you would understand that I am just different anyways. My wife is Scottish from an Ireland background and I am Irish from a Scottish background, so we decided to do a Celtic wedding. We researched all the traditions and went all out. The groom’s men we all in kilts, and the brides maids were wearing sashes. During the ceremony I presented my wife with a sash of my clan colors and we tied the knot (actually our family and friends tied the knot around our hands, and the knot is still tied today). This is where the Kilt from Kiltsurfer comes from….

The surfer had dual meanings, one to surf the web the other is surf and in the ocean. A few years out of collage a friend introduced me to surfing. It had always looked fun and I always enjoyed the surf movies. I thought it would be fun to try. After a number of hours and trying I finally caught my first wave. HOLLY COW!!! It was a rush that I had never felt before. I had been bungee jumping, scuba diving, parachuting and rock climbing, but nothing ever felt that great. It was just mind blowing. This is where the surfer really comes from.

There you have it….. Kiltsurfer…..

As far as Team Phatboyz, that’s another story I will save for later…... :rolleyes:

THANKS

Kiltsurfer

:P

Edited by kiltsurfer
This is quite amusing... I thought robinego was pronounced as though she thought highly of herself

Believe me, you aren't the first, nor will be the last. I had a personalized license plate with my name on it and the plate holder had a riddle to explain the pronounciation that turns out only Mensa members understood. <_< Needless to say, I dropped the plate altogether.

And whereas I do have a somewhat healthy level of self esteem, (meaning I could EASILY tell someone to kiss my ___ :huh: ) I could never be so forward as to advertise it.

This is quite amusing... I thought robinego was pronounced as though she thought highly of herself

Believe me, you aren't the first, nor will be the last. I had a personalized license plate with my name on it and the plate holder had a riddle to explain the pronounciation that turns out only Mensa members understood. :huh: Needless to say, I dropped the plate altogether.

And whereas I do have a somewhat healthy level of self esteem, (meaning I could EASILY tell someone to kiss my ___ :huh: ) I could never be so forward as to advertise it.

Hmmm... we got it right away. Probably because we grew up in San Diego! <_<

My surname is the extremely German "Gross" (pronounced just like you think it should be...don't be shy!). A friend at work and I were talking about nicknames a few years ago, and I mentioned that I'd never really had a nickname. He immediately began calling me the more Italian-flavored Grossi; in fact, for the rest of that school year, I had several students who followed his example.

When I found my first cache, I signed the logbook as Grossi. After I returned home to register, I decided my online persona should match the one I had just signed in the logbook. For years, it has always bothered me when people dropped capitals and used other shortcuts for online typing...maybe that's just the inescapable English-major part of my personality. After a bit of deliberation, I decided I should just "get over it," and registered as the lowercase grossi. It hasn't helped me with my aversion to incorrect online capitalization, but I'll forever remain grossi in the geocaching world.

I remember wanting to use "Barnaby" which is a local obnoxious weed as well as the name of one of our cockatiels. That name was supposedly taken, perhaps by me in an earlier, aborted attempt to register (the drunk thing again???). The Barnabirdy was an impulse with the blank staring at me waiting for a decision.

As soon as the bride was hooked, about cache #2, we started using Barnabirdy(s) but never made an official change (if that is possible).

Edited by Barnabirdy