Garmin 60c Or 76c???

jj3

Hey folks,

I've been out of the game for a while but am getting back in. I dig the new color screens and definitely want to go that route.

My question is which one would everyone go with? 60C or 76C?

I love the look and feel of the 60C much more than the 76C but it's a trade-off for more memory and I think I read better database?

Price for either is fine I just want something that I won't want to upgrade in another 2 years (already been through etrex yellow and venture).

I'm not a power-user but would like to keep topos of texas hill country and geocaches on it.

Sorry for such a post, just looking for some help before I plunk down ~$400.

Thanks!

Jim

I had a etrex legend that I really liked had no problems with it. But I to fell for the color screen and other upgrades. I ordered the 60cs and just got it a few days ago. It is a very nice machine it does everything that I expected and more. I loaded up all of wyoming and utah and had space enough to do it.

I think that it is 6's at this point both machines work and do what they say they will.

If it was me and my coin (and it was) I went with the 76. I'll take double the memory any day, not to mention it floats (and I paddle a canoe).

Also, IMHO, I like the buttons on top, after all, my thumb is on top of my hand when I am holding the gps for one handed operation. I had the 76s for two years and never once wished it was smaller.

Here's a nice shot of the relative size and a post on the Topic.

107436_11400.jpg

--

Picture of relative size of 60cs / 76cs...

• 76 series dimensions: 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4
  • 60 Series dimensions 6.1 x 2.4 x 1.3

As you can see, they are roughly the same size with the 76series having the antenna enclosed and the 60 series having the 'rhino' look.

I know and understand there are many who prefer the 60 series size. I respect that. This is just my $0.02 worth.

Edited by Us 5 Camp

I had a 60 on order, then they announced the 76 - the additional memory is what sold me. Ergonomics of the 76 are great for me, I can easily stick in my jeans pocket , and when I do I appreciate having the buttons on top. I haven't fooled around with the geocaching icons on it, but they look the same as the 60 I fooled around in a local store. I've read it's the same SW on both units.

I have a gpsmap 76 and wanted a color gps. I preordered a 76c. when I stopped in a local store they had a 60c so I looked at it. I liked the feel of it better than the 76, so I canceled the 76c and ordered the 60cs. If you are using mapsource topo you can probably get all of Texas on the 60. The biggest factor is what feels good to you. Reading other sites like Yahoo 76cs group, both the 60 & 76c or 76cs have the same fireware down to the games. Hope this helps.

Functionaly they are the same and just don't see how you can go loose. I just love my 60cs and rank it up there with my leatherman and eyeglasses as the best tools I own.

I was going to buy the 76cs, until I held a 76. I am an IT guy and really, really like the idea of more memory. I put the 76 down and bought the 60cs. The 60 just felt more solid. I also like the buttons on bottom so I can see the screens as I page thru rolling down the road 9.99 mph over the speed limit.

I paddle a one man inflatable pontoon aka "Outcast Personal Adventure Craft" (www.outcastboats.com if your wife is begging you to take up yet another expensive hobby) and I wished like heck my 60cs would float. Although, I am not entirely sure I could bring myself to take it out of my boat bag, which is water proof and does float, in anythng but the most placid and shallow of water anyway.

I suffered over the 76 vs 60 question. Only holding each in my hand settled it for me. If you can do the same before you buy I highly recomend it.

If Garmin would just make the 60cs with the big memory, FRS/GMRS/Weather radio and float I could move on to collecting a differant sort of gadget. :lol:

Edited by woody@fly-bench.com

I, too, was pondering over this very same dilemma. I decided on the 60CS because I like the screen up top and the buttons on the bottom. It may have less memory, but plenty for what I need it for. I don't particularly care for the protruding antennae, but I'll get used to it. Besides, it costs a lot less. I'll just have to watch it when I'm near water. Over a 10 months time frame, I accidently dropped my SporTrak in a creek. It really does float! he only reason it fell in was because of the neck strap I was using had a "Quick Release" fastener on it. I won't use this on the 60CS.

PS The USB is WAY faster than serial. It's so fast you almost miss what's happening.

Topo maps don't take much memory - about 65 to 75% of Texas will fit into the 60's 56MB. If you go with just Topo maps, then you're missin' one of the best features of both [AUTOROUTING]. But then how many restaurants and gas stations can you look up and navigate to in Texas hill country using City Select that you don't already know about... right?

If you plan on being in Texas for the next couple of years, then I'd say the 60's 56MB would be enough memory, and you "love the look and feel of the 60C much more than the 76C".

I live near and work in Washington, DC and my wife is new to the area. City Select is a must for us, and the maps take up a lot of space. I gotta admit that when I heard about the 76C's extra memory, I wished I'd waited and gotten one of those. But the 60's memory is plenty. If we go on a long-haul roadtrip, it only takes a couple of minutes to upload different maps (takes longer to choose and select 'em than it does to load 'em).

I cast my vote for the 60C :lol:

You'll be happy with it, and with the money you save you can buy mounting bracket for it.

...Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo
I paddle a one man inflatable pontoon aka "Outcast Personal Adventure Craft" (www.outcastboats.com if your wife is begging you to take up yet another expensive hobby) and I wished like heck my 60cs would float. Although, I am not entirely sure I could bring myself to take it out of my boat bag, which is water proof and does float, in anythng but the most placid and shallow of water anyway.

I just checked the floatation ability of my 60CS and while it doesn't float it does have a very low submerged weight. It shouldn't take much at all to get it to float. I'm think a medium sized bobber connected to the lanyard should do it.

For me backpacking I didn't want something any bigger then it had to be. All I had to do was set the 60 and 76 side by side and I was sold. While the dimensions of the 76 aren't much bigger on paper and/or in a photo if you put them side by side in person the 76 is much bigger. Not to mention the 76 weighs nearly 50% more.

Hey folks,

Thanks thanks thanks for all the excellent replies!

I think you all have helped me quite a bit. All of you hit VERY valid issues that must be weighed individually and prioritized.

I really do love the look/feel of the 60c and really dislike the 76c look/feel. That is merely aesthetics though but like everything, if you don't like the look of it you will use it less.

The memory, etc was the biggest part. Since I've never owned a gps that could take uploads (my venture had a whopping 1mb! :P I wasn't sure just how much I could fit. My buddy has a Vista and he's always been able to manage his topos just fine and the 60c has 2x the memory.

In any case, it does seem like I will end up going the 60c route. The $ wasn't an issue (Father's Day and birthday very close together) but if I could get the 60c and some accessories I have to think the wife would somehow appreciate that over the 76c and the same accessories!

If anyone has anything further to add I'm still all ears. I probably won't pull the trigger until Sunday or Monday.

Thanks again everyone, great to have a place like this to get the dirt straight from the users mouths!

Jim

I'm upgrading from a GPS V and have just ordered a 76cs. The main reason is the memory. I too like the look and feel of the 60 and probably would have gone that route if the 76 had the same.

Just watch though. Once I get my 76, Garmin will announce a new GPS V type unit with a kazillion megs of ram and a bunch of new features for fall release. :P

Olar

For most people this is probably not a valid reason to make a choice. I have the 76S and use nonskid shelf liner to jam it between the dash and window on my Land Cruiser. I have a friend with a new 60c and you just can't jam it in with any security. I also have a iQue for routing and going paperless. The 60c is a great GPS but I am thinking about the 76c or 76cs. I am use to the 76S and its size doesn't bother me. Where we live on Puget Sound, the tide tables are great. Have only used the electronic compass once when I lost satellite reception and needed the compass to find my way out of the forest. I have a hand compass but it always seems to be in the jacket I left at home. As they say either one will do a good job for you. Dick, W7WT

Once I get my 76, Garmin will announce a new GPS V type unit with a kazillion megs of ram and a bunch of new features for fall release. :P

Garmin is pretty adamant they're NOT making a color V with gobs of memory.

It has long been my opinion (well, you know, for 6 months or so now) that they're doing this whole 60/76 C/S route and pushing folks to the Street Pilots for on-the-dash routing.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however.

-=-

michelle

Once I get my 76, Garmin will announce a new GPS V type unit with a kazillion megs of ram and a bunch of new features for fall release. :(

Garmin is pretty adamant they're NOT making a color V with gobs of memory.

It has long been my opinion (well, you know, for 6 months or so now) that they're doing this whole 60/76 C/S route and pushing folks to the Street Pilots for on-the-dash routing.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however.

-=-

michelle

Very good point Michelle. Marketing people have been known to work in mysterious ways. The 60 or 76 will do just fine as an in-car-mounted routing GPS so they are certainly not going to convince me that I need a handheld as well as a Street Pilot type unit.

Cheers, Olar

I just got my 76C last week. I carried it around the whole weekend and let me tell you what I noticed.

IT IS REALLY WIDE !

Luckily I have very big hands, so I can work it with one hand, but if you are anything shy of large in the paws, I would definately consider the 60C instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 76C and wouldn't trade it for anything. Plus one of my main activities is canoeing, so the floating is a big plus!

76CS: 6.2" H x 2.7" W x 1.4" D

60CS: 6.1" H x 2.4" W x 1.3" D

The problem with those measurements is they are the measurement required if you were to put them into a box. In other words they don't make exception for small protrusions or the antenna. I have had the 76c and 60c side by side and the measurements just don't add up in real world use. The 76c feels and looks much much bigger especially when held in the hand and put side by side.