Gsak, Easymps, Easygps,cachemate???

I need quick and dirty help in choosing what I want to use for my new 76CS.

Here's what I historically used with my old 76s:

* EasyGPS to download caches.

* Mapsource to manage my waypoints, routes, maps, etc.

NOW, I have a 76CS (and don't plan to incorporate the palm and don't have a premium membership)

* I do have a serial cable as well as the USB cable.

* What 's the best software for getting as much cache data, descriptions, etc. into the 76CS?

* Seemless, avoiding as much multiple applications as possible.

* EasyGPS still works. Is there something better I should use that would REPLACE Easygps?

You need a premium membership to gain access to gpx files in order to have the "extra" information such as cachenames in the comments. Since you are limited to using loc files, I don't think you can do any better than the setup you've been using with EasyGPS and MapSource. I think Waypoint names and coords are about the extent of the information you can move around automatically using loc files.

You *may* be able to get a little more information through GSAK (which draws upon GPSBabel power) to generate smartnames, but I think the lack of gpx information doesn't really offer you much more. Someone with more direct experience working with loc files might be able to contradict me.

Hopefully within a week or so I will have a 76CS and I'll want to take full advantage of it's USB ability. I'm a big fan of GSAK but it does not as yet support USB. However if Clyde is true-to-form (and re-energized from his current vacation) this will be forth-coming in the not too distant future.

I would say use GSAK to open and manage your .loc downloads and export to Mapsource whenever necessary. How are you getting your waypoints from EasyGPS to Mapsource now?

GSAK offers a lot of options like filtering, adding notes, etc. that EasyGPS doesn't so you would get those benefits without adding any extra steps to your process.

Cheers, Olar

The fact that GSAK doesn't always work with USB might not be an issue. I always export to MapSource and then transfer from MapSource to my unit. Granted, my unit is a GPS V so it would work with GSAK, but you get the point.

I tried the others and I'm most content with GSAK. Allows me to keep track of caches and not just transfer between formats. I think it's a terrific program.