Gps Compatibility.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to GPSR's, in fact I haven't got one yet, which is kind of the reason for my post, so please forgive me if this is a FAQ (frequently answered question).

After a bit of research, I decided to purchase a Magellan Sportrak. I did this over the net, as the local suppliers here (Australia) just can't compete with the price for one shipped out of the US. But I digress... I was in a local camping shop and got to talking to the sales guy, and he ended up asking what I paid, and said I should be careful as the Sportraks that he gets need to be configured for our hemisphere. My initial reaction was "bloody hell, maybe it won't turn out to be such a good deal after all!" But upon thinking alittle more about it, I came to the conclusion that he must be mistaken.

I mean, it's a GPSR for goodness sake, it's meant to travel. Isn't it? <_<

It's not the receiver but the base maps etc that will not be of any use.

Also any receiver used in Oz must have WAAS disabled as the system simply doesn't work there, so even if the software knows this there's really not much point having WAAS enabled in the first place.

Cheers, Kerry.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to GPSR's, in fact I haven't got one yet, which is kind of the reason for my post, so please forgive me if this is a FAQ (frequently answered question).

After a bit of research, I decided to purchase a Magellan Sportrak. I did this over the net, as the local suppliers here (Australia) just can't compete with the price for one shipped out of the US. But I digress... I was in a local camping shop and got to talking to the sales guy, and he ended up asking what I paid, and said I should be careful as the Sportraks that he gets need to be configured for our hemisphere. My initial reaction was "bloody hell, maybe it won't turn out to be such a good deal after all!" But upon thinking alittle more about it, I came to the conclusion that he must be mistaken.

I mean, it's a GPSR for goodness sake, it's meant to travel. Isn't it? :(

I think the saleman was trying to rattle you a bit. He may have ment that you have to re initialize the GPS, which part of setting up a GPS.

You can use that sucker in the U.S., Oz, the North Pole, South Pole, Europe, the equator, China, Russia, Baghdad... ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!!! The only place you can't take it is outer space! Actually, it would be interesting to see how one of these things work at one of the poles :(

As was stated, you'll have to initialize it when you get it (and anytime you move it 200 miles without using it). After you get it, take it to that dealer and show him you got one of those "Worldwide" SporTraks!!! Tell him you know where you can get more of them :D

The manual will be written in Yankee, but I'm sure Aussies will UNDERstand :D