Has This Ever Happened To You?

I just got my Magellan SporTrak color in the mail today. I put in the batteries and followed the directions for initializing the unit. I hit the Satellite status screen and watched it for a couple of minutes and the unit went 'beep' and shut off.

I put in different batteries, but I was never able to power up the unit again. I called Magellan-the techno guy had never heard of such a thing happening. I called Offroute and they said 'send it back."

I was sooo bummed. I was hoping to take the unit to SF Bay area this weekend for the holiday. So he sent me a different unit-Mag Platinum...he was all out of the Sportrak. It has the expandable memory, which is good. I hope the lack of color isn't a big draw back. I should have it by Friday and in time for the trip... :lol:

Anyone every had a problem like this with a new unit?

Hans at OffRoute is a super guy!! ;)

Marianne

I had a new ST Pro that started shutting itself off without any prompting on my part after I had it for a week. I made a few phone calls to Magellan and was finally told to take it back.

I then picked up a new Mer Gold. The very first time I placed batteries in it, it went beep and by the time I turned it over, the screen was dead. I tried new batteries, but to no avail. Needless to say, I took it back when a call to Magellan yielded no remedy.

Now I'm without a GPSr and a bit gun shy of Magellan products. Still haven't decided whether I'll give them a third chance or just switch to Garmin.

tm

The tech guy at Magellan said he had never heard of such a thing. Hans at OffRoute said the Meridian Plat was a great unit...sells 30-1 over the STColor, so I said I would give it a try. Quite a few Meridian Plats posted on the poll with favorable remarks so I am hoping for the best. A $300 unit should perform, in my opinion.

Just like they never heard of the cracks in the SporTrak cases. I'm beginning to have my doubts about Magellan. After reading the threads about the ST case cracks and the number of folks who had defective units, I'm a bit disappointed that a recall wasn't issued. I'm still reserving my final judgment on them.

Hey, the best of luck with your Plat. I sure hope it works out for you.

tm

Shoulda bought a real GPS; i.e., Garmin.

I've never been disappointed with my real GPS. It's a MeriPlat and it has been going strong for the past 17 months.

Until Garmin adds memory expandability and puts a 3-axis compass into them - I'll stick with my real GPS... thank you very much. <_<:lol:

Edited by TotemLake

It just kills me that when someone posts something about a problem with their gps, someone else will post something like you should have bought a real gps thinking they have the greatest brand. I have four Magellans and they all work great. No problems with my magellans.

For every person who has a problem with their gps, and this includes Garmin, there are thousands of satisfied customers.

It just kills me that when someone posts something about a problem with their gps, someone else will post something like you should have bought a real gps thinking they have the greatest brand. I have four Magellans and they all work great. No problems with my magellans.

For every person who has a problem with their gps, and this includes Garmin, there are thousands of satisfied customers.

It was a joke....lighten up, Francis!

Uhhhhhhh, the movie quote list. Lighten up Francis and you just made my list are from Stripes. It was just a joke, Lighten up Francis!!!

Whew!!!! I'm just glad your list didn't involve guns, knives, and malotav cocktails through the front window of my house like some of the others......yeah....I can handle that kind of list...... <_<

Uhhhhhhh, the movie quote list.  Lighten up Francis and you just made my list are from Stripes.  It was just a joke, Lighten up Francis!!!

Whew!!!! I'm just glad your list didn't involve guns, knives, and malotav cocktails through the front window of my house like some of the others......yeah....I can handle that kind of list...... :lol:

Just because you look like you should be put out of your misery (or is that ours?)doesn't mean it should happen. :D

Cheers dude!

TL