Night cache Trail

moose1961

GC10E7

This is one in our area. It was a lot of fun finding it. Basically he used different colored reflectors for the markers. The night I found it, there was a lightning storm off to the east about 30 miles which made the story even better.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

Thanks Dusty Jacket I had sort of already figured out that part, I was hoping there were some set guidelines for creating the trail... I have a general location, a fellow cacher and I are hoping to lay out a trail but need input or suggestion on safety precautions, reccomended type of lights to use (want people going out and have a good experience not a bad one) general guidelines ast to how rought the terrain can be at night with out it being to dangerous things like that. Suggested equipment list people might need for such a trail. How far apart to set reflectors, location of reflectors, how to hide the cache once the trail ends that sort of thing,[Two steps forwar and one backward... yep that sounds like me icon_rolleyes.gif]Originally posted by DustyJacket:

(1) The waypoint for a night cache does not point to the cache.

it points to the first spot you'll be able to see a marker.

(2) Use markers that cannot be seen in the daytime.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Red Barron I think if you look in the forums under the general forums (then find a thread about night trails, aren't many) I think there were some examples and locations listed... just not many examples shared the info I am looking for. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Red Barron:

This sounds like fun. Do you have the waypoint of one so I can look at it and set one up in my area?

Thanks Dusty Jacket.... I have ordered some fire tacks and reflector tape from that site I am waiting for them to arrive.... I had gotten it from something you wrote in the general forums I believe.. not sure. You have been a great deal of help.[ever feel like this.. the blind leading the blind icon_cool.gif]Originally posted by DustyJacket:

You may want to check out some firetacks.

I just received some.

The "stealth" version looks brown in daytime but glows orange at night when lit by a flashlight. I also go a box of the "dots" which are small and highly directional.

see: http://www.firetacks.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart.cgi?CONFIG=mountain&CHANGE=YES&NEXTPAGE=ftprod1.htm&CODE=5266

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Smithdw are you teasing me? You said "this is on in our area" then you never provided me a way to get to it, unless I just am so new at this (which I am) I did not see it.. was there a link? Anyway did not see the one you are talking about. mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

GC10E7

This is one in our area. It was a lot of fun finding it. Basically he used different colored reflectors for the markers. The night I found it, there was a lightning storm off to the east about 30 miles which made the story even better.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

Just be sure when you submit your cache for approval that you leave a note for the admin giving the coords of the actual cache. They will need that for final approval and they will delete the note before the cache page goes public.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Bilder, thanks I had not thought of that glad you told me how to submit it for approval... after all that is an important piece of ingormation.... I think I have a general area picked out and a general theme I want the trail to have.... oh and does anyone know are there red tags available??[Lost in space icon_confused.gif]Originally posted by Bilder:

Just be sure when you submit your cache for approval that you leave a note for the admin giving the coords of the actual cache. They will need that for final approval and they will delete the note before the cache page goes public.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734