Is This Disrespectful?

Sounds pretty neat to me...

Just a quick heads up... some feathers from birds are not legal.

Such as Song birds, Hawks, Owls or Eagles to name a few.

Just google "illegal feathers" and you will find interesting reading. :tongue:

Good luck with the cache!

I'm just curious how many people think my new cache is gross and disrespectful. From the logs I guess it's safe to say children don't find it revolting!

In my mind, that's quite a creative theme! Not disrespectful in my book.

One of our caches is actually a micro hidden INSIDE a sheep's skull in the desert. We thought we'd get all sorts of complaints, but have actually been praised for the creativity. :tongue:

Man, that was a letdown. I was really expecting something a tad more "edgy."

Not a bad idea but scarcely anything to lose sleep over. ...

...Now, if you ever have the need to do a cache about pigs wih multiple personality disorders: I'm your man!

I didn't realize feathers could be illegal. That seems a bit odd, but I suppose it's a useful law if you think about it. I just updated the descripton to reflect that.

It's not the bones that I thought people would find disrespectful, but the fact that I hid it in a cemetery. It just seemed fitting to me. Heck, there's even a little park in there!

I didn't realize feathers could be illegal. That seems a bit odd, but I suppose it's a useful law if you think about it. I just updated the descripton to reflect that.

It's not the bones that I thought people would find disrespectful, but the fact that I hid it in a cemetery. It just seemed fitting to me. Heck, there's even a little park in there!

You might want to check it out about the feathers, it's a FEDERAL offense to have bald eagle feathers in your posession unless you are an American Indian. (For religious ceremonies)

In the state of New Mexico, every bird except the Common Sparrow and the Redwing Blackbird are protected by law and carry severe penalties and fines if convicted.

Edited by woof n lulu

You might want to check it out about the feathers, it's a FEDERAL offense to have bald eagle feathers in your posession unless you are an American Indian. (For religious ceremonies)

In the state of New Mexico, every bird ... are protected by law and carry severe penalties and fines if convicted.

So don't convict any! :tongue::blink::lol:

Sounds pretty neat to me...

Such as Song birds, Hawks, Owls or Eagles to name a few.

Just google "illegal feathers" and you will find interesting reading. :tongue:

Good luck with the cache!

I find it rather fascinating, in a repulsive sort of way, how the government values birds so much more highly than they do our HUMAN babies.

I don't have a problem with it at all!! In fact, the "theme" for my next cache is going to be "Non-Vital Remains"!! (Thanks for the idea).

All that will be in the cache is a small pair of hair-scissors, fingernail clippers, and a large number of tiny zip-loc bags. Finders will be encouraged to "leave something", and "take nothing"!! :tongue::blink::lol:

Rick

Re:Illegal Feathers-Lawrence Small the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute just paid a rather hefty fine for possesion of endangered species feathers. Seems he didn't do his homework when he bought out another private collector.

BOT- I think it's a great theme for a cache. The fact that it's in a cemetery (especailly one with a park) isn't in itself disrespectful. I think cemetaries are great places to visit; learn about history, and even have a picnic.

If you required finders to desecrate a burial site to log a find then it might be disrespectful. ;)

Sounds to me like your FTF gave the best endorsement possible. If the last time they were in that particular cemetery was to say "good-bye" to someone yet they didn't find your cache offensive in anyway then I think you must have placed it in a tactful out of the way place.

I'm always hesitant about graveyard caches but I'm sure we'd search it!

Very interesting. (Hope people stick to the theme!) ;)

I don't think it is gross or disrespectful. Your ample description should warn anyone who has trouble with the theme. You can't say they weren't warned!

My one thought was -- I wonder if animals would bother it? My dog has chewed up very old bones bleached out in the desert that could not have had any even microscopic remains of skin or marrow. And, yes, he did sniff them out.

But I guess the cache's location in a cemetery probably means that there aren't too many wild animals frequenting the area.

I very much enjoyed a local cache series, the Cemetery Quest. In fact, I hit most of them with my 77 year old mother, who has been contemplating her own mortality, and she enjoyed them as well. Headstones were used as waypoints, and we offered up blessings to the participants. When I was a child, we found several really old graveyards, and spent time in wonder at the lives that had been.

That being said, the cemeteries on the quest ranged from abandoned to very infrequently used. I think I might pass up a cache in an active cemetery. I don't know if I could be comfortable playing a game in a place where fresh pain and grief were being experienced.