Spell Checker

I re-posted this one in the website area.

My wishlist for geocaching.com is that it had a spell checker for postings. Judging from many postings I have read, it would certanly improve things. I have used a spell checker from Chado for other Active Server Pages applications I manage, and it works well. I have no connection with Chado, but I am pleased with their product (and I think it costs $525 one time - not per year - for a site license!) If Groundspeak can find a compatible spell checker (Chado or otherwise), I am certain it would be will used. <_<

Edited by Rustynail
In the meantime, anyone with IE can download IESpell for free from http://www.iespell.com/

It allows you to (right click) spell check any text box on any web page. I use it for sites like this that don't have built-in spell checking.

What DEMP said.

I prefer it to some canned web-based spellcheck, since I can customize it to add words like FTF, TNLN, geocacher, etc.

Hi,

I find that cache listings seems to be correctly spelled in general, which indicates to me that people make their spelling mistakes in the forums due to rushing in their haste to post their clever responses first...a spell checker will not work for people who will not take the time to use it :tongue:

nfa

For Mac users (Classic OS or OS X), I find Excalibur to be an excellent freeware spell check. Instead of limiting itself to a particular browser, it spell checks your Clipboard contents, so you can spell check anything that you can copy. It can be downloaded from the Excalibur home page at this link.

I hear from people who to me seem a little anal about spelling.

I don't mean that in a spitful way, people just seem to be anal about almost anything.

I am by the way am a terrible speller, it just doesnt bother me. And to me there are more important things then spell checkers.

Again no insults intended. I just think everyone needs to relax more.

I find that cache listings seems to be correctly spelled in general, which indicates to me that people make their spelling mistakes in the forums due to rushing in their haste to post their clever responses first...a spell checker will not work for people who will not take the time to use it :tongue:

Just want to point out that on cache listings you can easily edit the page. In the fora if you edit anything (if you care too) at any time you get those nice 'log tampered with at X date/time'. I find those really really ugly to look at. I'm terriable at spelling (and about everything else about 'proper english'), but dislike those tags, so if you can figure out what I was saying I don't bother to fix it.

In the meantime, anyone with IE can download IESpell for free from http://www.iespell.com/

It allows you to (right click) spell check any text box on any web page. I use it for sites like this that don't have built-in spell checking.

Ditto! I even use it for programs that have spell checkers. It works better than most built-in ones I've seen.

I'm a poor speller even when I'm trying to be spell. Dictionaries are useless for me since I don't spell well enough to find the correct word. When I'm composing a message things become worse. IESpell is a life saver for me. If only it had a grammar checker. :tongue:

I hear from people who to me seem a little anal about spelling.

I don't mean that in a spitful way, people just seem to be anal about almost anything.

I am by the way am a terrible speller, it just doesnt bother me. And to me there are more important things then spell checkers.

Again no insults intended. I just think everyone needs to relax more.

And anal eyes less. :tongue:

Guess this thread is as good as any. The spell checker for Fire fox works great. I posted a link to the site that tells you how to install on the other spell checker thread. The spell checker for Netscrape isn't so good, it requires that you use composer and spell check in a different window. At least as far as a simpleton like me could figure out. I refuse to use IE anymore so I don't really care what works with it.

Guess this thrad is as good as any. The spell checker for Fire fox works great. I posted a link to the site that tells you how to install on the other spell checker thread. THe spell checker for Netscrape isn't so good, it requires that you use composer and spell check in a differentr window. At least as far as a simpleton like me could figure out.  I refuse to use IE anymore so I don't really care whta works with it.