Ltf??

Not long ago I lost my first micro that I placed at a local ballfield. The last person visiting the cache said there were people working on the fields before the games started for that evening while he was visiting the cache. I think he was the second person to visit the cache, it was only there for maybe a couple of weeks. So I'm thinking that the workers checked the spot after he left and took the cache. <_< I can't place another cache there for fear of only losing another one now that the spot has been discovered.

Anyway, I hate that it was lost so soon but I know this happens and I accept it. After I visit a cache I watch it on line until someone else finds it so I know I didnt tip off a muggle. So far they have all been found after I left. Have you ever been the last to find?

~Mark

I TRIED to be LTF on a cache once! The owner said he was going to archive the cache on a certain date, so I went the day before. I even wrote a 'revealing' log (it's a multi where you have to figure out the second step for yourself) as I thought it was going away. The owner (Lazy-K, I should have known) got lazy and changed his mind..it's still there.

If the cache is in a high-traffic area, then the owner should be perpared to accept the risk that someone will reveal the cache unintentionally, or that it will just happen to be found by non-cachers. It's a bummer, but it could happen anytime, with any cache.

Nice avatar T360! Let me know if you need an assistant, or someone to spell ya while you're on break! <_<

I believe that I was the LTF for the Ancient Forest Geocache which was in a sensitive area in Cook Forest State Park and was to be archived two days later. This area is home to a virgin forest and should be protected. There are now two other caches in other areas of the park; we have found one so far.

Now that I re-read the log for that cache, two others found it the day after we did. So.....I'm not the LTF for that one.........never mind........

Edited by PeachyPA

We've been LTF on 5 caches out of 1067. We try really hard not to be seen. Feel guilt over LTF's ? Sure...who wouldn't feel guilt?

...but you can't knock yourself out over this. If I put a cache back exactly where it was, and I know that nobody else was around when I found it, chances are, a muggle just stumbled across it and I was the poor sap who just happened to find it last. If a cache has been found 2-3 times a day, and I am the last to find, and two hours later, a string of "Not Founds" started showing up, then I probably was spotted, and I'll try to figure out how to learn from my mistake.

...but in no case, do you really know for sure.

-Jif

We have not had a LTF, although we are still new.

Can you re-hide your micro nearby so you can keep your hide. For example, move it 10 feet away, and change the waypoints on the hide. If a muggle planned to come back and take it away again, they might only look in the originial spot, and not bother looking otherwise if they don't understand the sport.

I'm LTF quite frequently, actually. It's not that I don't re-hide well or am seen (well, except for my "Golden Opportunity" cache near the Golden Flake chip factory, someone must've seen me hide it and it was gone before it was approved!), it's that I'm not afraid to pull the trigger on the "Should be archived" post. Bad location, abandonded cache, so wet it can't possibly be signed even though six before me complained about it, etc....

I had a disconcerting run last year when it seemed that caches were regularly disappearing right after I found them. I didn't keep count or anything but I think it was four or five in a two month period. None of them were in particulary public places and I took care to hide them well. It was probably all just conicidence but still I reexamined my technique and became even more diligent. No matter how good you are or think you are, you can always improve.

I've been LTF on only two. I'm sure it wasn't me, as this one was destroyed by a fire weeks after I found it, and this one was in a bad spot where illicit activities were being frequented. :tongue: No, it WASN'T me! There's a sense of relief when the next person finds the cache in good condition after I have been there.

We have not had a LTF, although we are still new.

Can you re-hide your micro nearby so you can keep your hide. For example, move it 10 feet away, and change the waypoints on the hide. If a muggle planned to come back and take it away again, they might only look in the originial spot, and not bother looking otherwise if they don't understand the sport.

I could place another cache here but it is a high traffic area and I think the outcome will be the same. Maybe there should be a code or something to let the owner know you found it but was unable to sign the log due to the danger of giving away its location to muggles in the area. Maybe a number on the side or something you could see fast and leave without drawing too much attention. If someone gave me that kind of info I would have no problem at all. At least the cache would still be there, or would that be ( oh no :tongue: ) a virtual?

~Mark

Yea I have been LTF and on a recent cache I was the Only to Find.  One Finder

That is both funny AND unfortunate Phone Guy! Many images run through my mind after reading that. I'm sure it falls into the category of *You HAD to be there*, especially when you are out of your usual element or area.

1) Maybe he spotted you at the turnstiles, decked out in questionable tell-tale GeoGarbe ;) and hunted you down.

2) Picturing being snuck-up upon by a tractor. ;) Was he making crop circles, threatening abduction? ;)

3) I would have not only taken the FTF patch, but WRASSLE him for the cache, call it MINE and make a 100 yard dash with the cache, hopefully outrunning the tractor piloted by a wild-eyed pistol-wavin local. YIKES!!! Huff-puff... OK It's yours!

Just in jest! :lol:

The funny thing is, at our Event we had on 5/23/04 I met the guy who hid this cache. He retrieved it from the angry farmer. While I was talking to the Farmer another cacher walked by on a nearby road. I didnot know this at the time but She told me at the event that she watched the whole thing. ;)

When we hid our 2nd cache, it vanished before the park naturalist ever got around to approving it! She called to say that she'd approved the placement of our 1st cache but the 2nd was already gone. Grr. I'm pretty sure no one saw us as we were deep in the woods with no one around. My husband thinks it could have been washed away, I doubt it. It took so long to get the 1st cache approved by the park that we've given up on placing any new caches in any of the co. parks.

...We've been LTF on 5 caches out of 1067. We try really hard not to be seen. Feel guilt over LTF's ? Sure...who wouldn't feel guilt?

Wow! You actually keep records like this? <_<

By the way, were one of those caches mine? I just lost another one and I'm ticked off :lol:

Alan

Edited by Alan2

Hey, StayFloopy, you were also last-to-find on this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...72-c5f512bd6362

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a7-5be0056cc23a

The visitor after you was Hurricane Isabel and she washed the pier away!

363604e0-45ee-4e2a-9547-062575db7d03.jpg

Cacheola Crew Mom

BTW: We were last finders on this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

Apparently, it was on National Park land and had to be removed.

Edited by Cacheola Crew

I believe we were LTF on a cache a couple of miles from here. The cache disappeared for a while right after that. Of course it could be because someone stole two Catepillar tractors and run them over a hill and into a depression where the cache was hidden. The place must have been swarming with news people (slow news day) as the incident made all of the TV news shows. The really weird part about it is that my brother-in-law is the job boss for the construction company employing the earth movers! :P