Trip To Colorado

My family and I are going to be traveling to Colorado this summer . . . ending up in Steamboat Springs. We're traveling from Ohio and was hoping to hit a few caches along the way, maybe around rest areas? Can anyone give me some information about any nice areas to stop? Thanks so much! <_<

Rocky Mountain National Park is really spectacular and only a couple hours' drive from Steamboat. Estes Park (home of the famous Stanley Hotel) is the closest town. I'm a newbie so I haven't done any geocahing in the area yet, but I searched on the 80517 zip code and came up with quite a list. For example, WGS84, Elk Poop Cache, looks like fun. (Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes are famous for their elk.)

I don't know of any particular caches that are near rest stops, but it you can make time to get up to the park, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck!

Edited by JukieF

If you take Highway 34 thru Loveland, stop at the Walgreens, and look for the

Scion and Terse, and a couple of blocks to the North is Out of the Blue. And when

you go up the canyon, there is The Old Dynamo, The Power of Water, #25 Trails End, the Buck Hunt (requires 2 short steep hikes), and before you enter Loveland there is the Big Log near I 25. If you can find me I'll give you a Cache Tour.

Some good tourist attractions are Red Rocks Ampitheatre, Six flags Elitch Gardens (also has a water park), The Denver Museum of Nature and Science (also has a planetarium and an IMAX theatre), The Denver Zoo, The Denver Mint, Waterworld, The Children's Museum, and Ocean Journey (also has a restaurant). The afformentioned are all family friendly. Coors Brewing Company (Golden) offers tours, as does Budweiser (Ft. Collins). I think that The Coors tour is better, but then again, I am biased because my geo partner (and fiance) works for Coors. :lol: If you are interested in history, Lookout Mountain (located in Golden) has a Buffalo Bill museum as well as his grave. That's all I can think of for now ;) , but you can feel free to email me or PM me. I will post other suggestions if I see any. Sorry that I can't suggest any caches, but I am fairly new to the sport! :bad: Have fun and enjoy our wonderful state!

--------------------

Happy Hunting---Team ODDCOUPLE

We just got back from two weeks in the front range then up through the black hills and badlands. We did several caches along the way, and took Tahosa up on his offer to show us around a bit (well worth it). You can check my profile to see the caches we did.

Here are links to the threads where I asked basically the same question about a month ago: This forum, and the C.A.C.H.E forums.

One warning, since it was mentioned here; the Elk Poop cache along Estes Lake has gone missing and been archived. The walk along the lake is still worth while though.

For non-caches, of course Trail Ridge Road (if it is open) is an amazing drive, and Hwy 34 from Estes to Loveland is also incredible.

We didnt do any caches on the way out so cant help with western Iowa or Nebraska. Around eastern Iowa (home), "Cache as Cache Can" is a quick find just off of I-80 in Iowa City. "Gobble Cache" (in F.W. Kent park a little west of Iowa City) is a little bit farther from the highway but a neat park.