Temporary Caches

<sigh> This is going nowhere.

I can't use the cache at the zoo because then people would have to leave the fairgrounds and pay to get back in. It's also a little too far away to just go show someone a cache. I was thinking of maybe putting the cache at the opposite end of the fairgrounds from the booth in order to get some good distance readings on the GPSrs.

I was thinking with the other geocachers there, that anytime someone wanted to go find the cache, that a seasoned geocacher would go with them and show them how to use the GPSr along the way. I can't just let people take my or others GPSr and go look for a cache by themselves. Someone would have to go with them.

So someone tell me what is it about having a booth run by geocachers at the fair that makes it not an event? Is the muggles that come into the picture? I am not going doing it to promote the fair, I am doing it to promote and discuss geocaching. It just happens to be inside the fairgrounds. Would it be different if I was doing it in a parking lot outside the fairgrounds? I really am getting lost in this argument...lol

I'm still trying to stay focused on the fact that I would like for a cache to be listed so that new people to the game that found my cache at the fair would be able to come to the website, register as a member and to log that find. It's the motivation factor for those people that I am looking to achieve. Keep in mind that there is no way I can leave the cache there permanently after the fair is over.

Per the rules if you had a pre-fair meeting to discusse the geocaching booth at the fair that's an event cache. Actually manning the booth at the fair to discuss geocaching and show people geocaching falls short only for the fact that a fair surrounds the event and not because of the event itself.

Recently we had an earth day event that involved a booth and it was a listed and approved event cache. The booth was even requested by one of the agencies that manage lands here in Idaho. That sets a precedent.

So my two cents is that your event walks like an event, quacks like an event, and looks like an event, and so by rights it must be an event.

Locally when our river festival happens and I'm faced with the largely the same issue you have brought up, I'm not even going to bother fighting the system to list an event cache. I'll send out some SPAM emails and call it a day. I enjoy posting in the forums. I don't like fighing tooth and nail to find or list caches. There are other things to do.

<sigh> This is going nowhere.

I can't use the cache at the zoo because then people would have to leave the fairgrounds and pay to get back in. It's also a little too far away to just go show someone a cache. I was thinking of maybe putting the cache at the opposite end of the fairgrounds from the booth in order to get some good distance readings on the GPSrs.

I was thinking with the other geocachers there, that anytime someone wanted to go find the cache, that a seasoned geocacher would go with them and show them how to use the GPSr along the way. I can't just let people take my or others GPSr and go look for a cache by themselves. Someone would have to go with them.

Hmmm. Obviously regional differences. If I recall correctly, the fairs I've attended all sell day passes. They will stamp your hand so you can return later if you go off-site.

Well, you still have the original two options. You say you can't hide a permanent cache on the fairgrounds, but I guess I missed the note where you said you spoke with the director and/or committee in charge and were turned down.

I'm sure you've gone ahead and contacted your local reviewer to ask how best to structure a geocaching event that includes a booth and a temporary cache at the fair, though...

Recently we had an earth day event that involved a booth and it was a listed and approved event cache.  The booth was even requested by one of the agencies that manage lands here in Idaho.  That sets a precedent.

I love the guidelines page.

I just wish it were read on occasion by more people.

Then I would not have to quote them all the time...

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.  This means that the past approval of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the approval of a new cache.  If a cache has been posted and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be “grandfathered” and allowed to stand as is.

I like to see your post RK. Please don't get me wrong. I also enjoy the forums most of the time.

...First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.  This means that the past approval of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the approval of a new cache....

Main Entry: 2prec·e·dent

Pronunciation: 'pre-s&-d&nt

Function: noun

1 : an earlier occurrence of something similar

2 a : something done or said that may serve as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kind <a verdict that had no precedent> b : the convention established by such a precedent or by long practice

3 : a person or thing that serves as a model

That cache was approved under the present gudelines for a reason. I have a reasonable expectation that a cache that has been determined to meet guideliens will serve as an example for future caches that meet guidelines. In other owrds a precident.

What you quoted is the CYA phrase in the guidelines in case they made a mistake. I don't think that event cache approval was a mistake. Do you?

...First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches.  This means that the past approval of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the approval of a new cache....

Main Entry: 2prec·e·dent

Pronunciation: 'pre-s&-d&nt

Function: noun

1 : an earlier occurrence of something similar

2 a : something done or said that may serve as an example or rule to authorize or justify a subsequent act of the same or an analogous kind <a verdict that had no precedent> b : the convention established by such a precedent or by long practice

3 : a person or thing that serves as a model

That cache was approved under the present gudelines for a reason. I have a reasonable expectation that a cache that has been determined to meet guideliens will serve as an example for future caches that meet guidelines. In other owrds a precident.

What you quoted is the CYA phrase in the guidelines in case they made a mistake. I don't think that event cache approval was a mistake. Do you?

1. You did not link the cache, so I could make no judgment.

2. Furthermore, it is not a decision for me to make, so I could make no judgment.

3. You made a blanket statement that your cache sets precedence when the guidelines clearly state that "First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches." Whether your cache sets precedence or not is not a decision that either you or I can make.

4. It is somewhat ironic that in the definition that you quoted the example says "a verdict that had no precedent". In law there are instances where a verdict does not set a precedent just as it is possible and and happens to be a fact on this site that "there is no precedent for placing caches."

Beyond the most recent comments by several which don't really appear to be on-point, I have to admit that I agree with RK on this issue. It does seem strange that a club meeting is an event, yet a booth at a fair established to promote awareness of geocaching is not.

A gathering of geocachers at Pizza Hut is an event, but a gathering of geocachers at the fair is not.

Also, I have noticed that lately it seems that anytime a person politely questions the guidelines or their implemenation, the inquirer is either told to read the guidelines or told that if they don't like it to go away.

Since when is it not OK to give opinions or to question practices. Heck, Jeremy probably likes to get constructive feedback. Tiems change, beliefs evolve, practices improve, blah, blah, blah. Who gave the marketing 101, 202, 301 example in another thread?

In a way I understand the argument being made by RK, in fact, after the AGA's TROCAfest cache was denied we discussed that it would be nice if gc.com had another type of event cache i.e. an educational/promotional event.

I can, however, understand why gc.com won't list such an event cache. Here in Alabama, we welcome newcomers to the sport and are constantly recruiting others to join us.

Granted, your surroundings may not allow you to be able to go ahead and hide a cache like we did for the TROCAfest, but if you are truly interested in drawing more of your locals to the sport, go ahead and promote geocaching. Promote it in the best possible light. You may not get a smiley face for an event, but you may just meet some really nice folks who can add to the hobby in your local area.

As far as the fair goes, if they don't allow 'pass out' tickets or stamps maybe you could talk to the fair director about possibly giving you some 'extra/free' tickets that could be used for readmittance to the fair for those that wish to go look for the nearby cache in the zoo.