Temporary Caches

The only 'temporary cache' allowed is an event cache..... Sorry!

But, remember that this 'allowed' thing is not a 'YOU CAN'T DO THIS!' It's a ban on being listed on this site.

GC.com is a listing service. There is no global authority which sets 'rules' for caching.

Edited by bug&snake

Temporary caches are not allowed per the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons.  Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Edited by Stunod
You can always place the cache at the fair, and make flyers with the coords, hints etc available for any cachers that show up.  If it is a large fair, consider making it an event cache.

This is a good plan if you are going to be running a geocaching booth. In Poky there is a river festival planned and they want to do a geoaching theme to have people walk the greenway.

Edited by Renegade Knight
You can always place the cache at the fair, and make flyers with the coords, hints etc available for any cachers that show up.  If it is a large fair, consider making it an event cache.

Actually, a fair is not an event cache. Once again, go back to the guidelines first to check on your idea.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching. After the event has passed, the event cache is archived. While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

Edited by mtn-man

Actually, a fair is not an event cache. Once again, go back to the guidelines first to check on your idea.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

Event Caches

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching. After the event has passed, the event cache is archived. While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers. In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.

This begs the question at what point does the geocaching angle prevail? Meeting at Pizza hut for beer & pizza is obviously an event cache. Meeting at a fair for beer & pizza isn't per the guidelines.

Do we have a 528' foot rule for other gatherings or are we allowed to gather geocachers at a geographical point on this earth and call it good? If I have an event invite muggles along with cachers to discuss geocaching have I broken a rule?

What's the real intent? Is it that first sentance? If so it would seem that it is possible to have an event inside of an event barring the 528' of social distance rule. Can we have a geoaching event at the burning man?

Hi,

This begs the question at what point does the geocaching angle prevail?  Meeting at Pizza hut for beer & pizza is obviously an event cache.  Meeting at a fair for beer & pizza isn't per the guidelines.

Do we have a 528' foot rule for other gatherings or are we allowed to gather geocachers at a geographical point on this earth and call it good?  If I have an event invite muggles along with cachers to discuss geocaching have I broken a rule?

What's the real intent?  Is it that first sentence?  If so it would seem that it is possible to have an event inside of an event barring the 528' of social distance rule.  Can we have a geoaching event at the burning man?

Here's gc.com's guidelines

The approvers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another.

Note the use of: "rule of thumb", "arbitrary distance", and "guideline"

I take this to mean that a valid reason for having a cache within 0.10 miles of another cache could be argued, and a temporary event cache in a cache-rich environment could be an argument for this very thing.

Guidelines interpretation disclaimer: The above are just my thoughts based on my reading of the rules, the approvers are much wiser than I, are not recognised nearly often enough, deserve better than us as disciples, and most probably have a special (no waiting) entrance into heaven. B)

nfa

Ok...so if I don't have the cache within .10 of another cache and if I have a geocaching booth set up at the fair, I can call it an event and still hide a cache, right? I could do all that if it if that's what it took to get the coords listed on the site.

This begs the question at what point does the geocaching angle prevail?  Meeting at Pizza hut for beer & pizza is obviously an event cache.  Meeting at a fair for beer & pizza isn't per the guidelines.

Do we have a 528' foot rule for other gatherings or are we allowed to gather geocachers at a geographical point on this earth and call it good?  If I have an event invite muggles along with cachers to discuss geocaching have I broken a rule?

What's the real intent?  Is it that first sentance?  If so it would seem that it is possible to have an event inside of an event barring the 528' of social distance rule.  Can we have a geoaching event at the burning man?

For your first paragraph, common sense should be your guide. Sounds like you have it pretty well understood. The "event cache" is a gathering of geocachers specifically to discuss geocaching. It is held at a location that does not have another type of existing event unrelated to geocaching. That would be at a place like a park pavillion or a pizza parlor, or as the GGA just did, at a game ranch that has a pavillion. We had our meeting and then some of went to find permanent caches that were at the location. Some people went to look at the animals. Some did both!

I like you RK, but the constant hair-splitting wears thin after a while. If you have questions that split hairs then you may well be better off if you direct them to contact address. You are asking questions that need to be answered by TPTB sometimes. Cache reviewers and forum regulars can only speculate. Final decisions would come from the top anyway. It may be more productive to send questions of this sort directly there to expedite an answer.

Proximity does not apply regarding distance from an event cache to other cache types. Since an event cache is a temporary gathering they are exempt from proximity guidelines.

PandyBat, what you just described *might* get you an event cache page, depending on the details of your "booth at the fair" event. If you hid a temporary cache nearby the event, it still wouldn't get its own cache page. But people could find it as part of the event. You could use the temporary physical cache, for example, to give newcomers something to find after becoming interested in geocaching by meeting the geocachers in attendance at your booth.

Edited by Keystone Approver
Ok...so if I don't have the cache within .10 of another cache and if I have a geocaching booth set up at the fair, I can call it an event and still hide a cache, right? I could do all that if it if that's what it took to get the coords listed on the site.

Its really still not there. You need to talk to the owner of the fairground to see if you can have a permanent cache on site. You could give out the coordinates to non-cachers at your booth, but your booth is not an event cache.

The GGA* regularly teaches a GPS class for our three local REI stores. These are not event caches. We show people how to use GPS devices if they just bought one or are thinking about buying them. We use geocaching to illustrate one practical application of the function of a GPS (along with confluence hunting, hiking, automobile and boating navigation, etc.). We talk about geocaching at these meetings, but the primary focus is not geocachers specifically meeting to discuss geocaching. Those meetings are not geocaching event caches.

*GA Geocachers Assn.

Edited by mtn-man
What's the real intent?  Is it that first sentance?  If so it would seem that it is possible to have an event inside of an event barring the 528' of social distance rule.  Can we have a geoaching event at the burning man?

<_<I would so want to go to that one. :D

That gives me something to think about.

Its really still not there. You need to talk to the owner of the fairground to see if you can have a permanent cache on site. You could give out the coordinates to non-cachers at your booth, but your booth is not an event cache.

Well, darn it again! LOL

That won't work then because you wouldn't be able to get into the area to a permanent cache after the fair was gone.

Maybe I will just have a booth and no cache. I was kinda hoping to hide a "sample" cache inside the fairgrounds for us to guide them to to show them how geocaching really works. Telling them about it and them actually doing it makes all the difference in getting someone interested in the game. Established players could also find it and log it while they were at the fair if they wanted.

Ok...back to the drawing board... <_<

Well, darn it again! LOL

That won't work then because you wouldn't be able to get into the area to a permanent cache after the fair was gone.

Maybe I will just have a booth and no cache. I was kinda hoping to hide a "sample" cache inside the fairgrounds for us to guide them to to show them how geocaching really works. Telling them about it and them actually doing it makes all the difference in getting someone interested in the game. Established players could also find it and log it while they were at the fair if they wanted.

Ok...back to the drawing board... <_<

You can, you can! I just does not have to be listed on the site to do it! :D This gets others involved and interested. We all like to spread the joy anyway. When I see someone with a GPS I always ask them if they have heard of geocaching. I have converted a couple of people in airports that way.

It's really getting harder and harder to find a new hiding spot or a new idea for a cache around here

You just have to know how to look. Topozone, National Geographic Topo and sat photos are all good resources. Also follow your local newspapers and look for articles about nearby green acres purchases.

I just checked the topo maps for your region and noticed a large area with potential east of Springifeld. Now I can't tell if its public, or private land from the maps, but if I lived there I'd certainly check out the area to the east of the James River and a spot called Big Hollow. Lots of land there and only one cache in the area that I can see.

...Cache reviewers and forum regulars can only speculate.  Final decisions would come from the top anyway.  It may be more productive to send questions of this sort directly there to expedite an answer...

Ah, yes the hair splitting, it has a purpose. You have exposed a portion of it.

"Read the dadgum guidelines they explain all" Is the most common answer to any question.

I'll call BS on that. They explain an intent and that intent has become obfuscated by rules, regulations, and provisos. Enforcing the guidelines blindly with no respect for the real spirit of the game causes us all to lose something of the fun we had when we first started. The TPTB do need to explain, they do need to keep the intent of the rules out there as a shining beacon so the guidelines can lose their “absolute” nature and show the flexibility they were intended to have.

Reviewers and regulars should not be speculating on “What would TPTB do” . We should be able to consistently come up with answers that agree both on the good of the larger game and this sites angle on what they want to list. TPTB should back those answers. If approvers and regulars who have the most experience can’t come up with those answers then how can we expect a newbie to stand a chance when it comes to placing a cache?

Edited by Renegade Knight

I know there have been a few temporary cachers here in Europe, that have been of the kind "This cache called "Christmas Feeling" will only last until the end of this year", and are approved in the beginning of October.

But caches might also get a shorter life than expected :tongue: Okay, I don't want people to make caches that are faked (read: they want to do a one day cache only, but get it reviewed as a regular cache, then archives it after one day and claims "It was not a good cache".).

Reviewers and regulars should not be speculating on “What would TPTB do” . We should be able to consistently come up with answers that agree both on the good of the larger game and this sites angle on what they want to list.  TPTB should back those answers.  If approvers and regulars who have the most experience can’t come up with those answers then how can we expect a newbie to stand a chance when it comes to placing a cache?

What that sounds like you are saying is that the person who runs the company should do what we tell them to do. I think the owner has every right to run the company the way he wants. I think it is great that the community can get together in these forums and come up with ideas. Obviously they should listen to suggestions, but they should also be able to weigh those suggestions and decide if they are worth acting on or not. Your suggestion has a one word term I think -- anarchy. You cannot cater to everyone's wants. That's just life. There are things I want out of the site that I don't get. I play within the structure of the site though and don't worry about it too much. There are much bigger things to worry about in life.

Well, I hate to do this to you, but regarding newbies having a chance out there, so much is covered on the guidelines page:

Note: Exceptions to the following guidelines may occasionally be made depending on the novel nature and merits of a cache. If you have a cache idea you believe is novel, contact Geocaching.com before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site.

On the days when I remember that something is a guideline, rather than a rule written in stone, and I bend the guideline in order to get a cache listed because my judgment tells me it *should* be listed, then I'm criticized in the forums for "playing favorites," "being subjective," and/or "not following the rules." And as for the guidelines themselves, if they have "wiggle room" built into them, there's no shortage of forum complaints asking for clearer definitions.

On the days when I enforce the rules or guidelines as they are written, and archive a cache submission, then I'm criticized in an e-mail from the disappointed cache owner and/or in the forums because I'm "too rigid" in "blindly following the rules." And as for the guidelines themselves, there's no shortage of forum complaints asking for more flexibility in their application.

Let's take the subject of this thread: temporary caches. Prior to November 2003, the guideline said simply that caches would not be listed if they were temporary in nature. When caches were denied because the cache page indicated they were temporary, many owners complained vocally in the forums. This topic is perhaps the best example - it ran to three pages.

As a result of this feedback -- which was *listened to* by those who write and edit the guidelines -- the temporary cache guidelines were revised in November 2003 to provide a bright-line test of three months. If the cache is intended to be in place for more than three months, it's not temporary. So, in fact, the last change in this particular guideline was made in order to provide greater certainty for cache owners and, most would argue, in a way that is more favorable to cache owners, since the majority of the volunteer reviewers were previously denying submissions having a stated "cache life" of less than six months.

Two weeks after this guideline change, I listed a series of caches in a Pennsylvania State Park that received the required written permits from the land manager, but with a three- month expiration date. I was then criticized publicly for altering the rules just to allow a particular cache owner to hide temporary caches.

There is a certain subset of the forum community that will criticize regardless of the topic under review. I call them "contrarians." They are a valued part of the community. I strap on my kevlar flak jacket, read and absorb the criticism, and move along with my duties.

On the days when I enforce the rules or guidelines as they are written, and archive a cache submission, then I'm criticized in an e-mail from the disappointed cache owner and/or in the forums because I'm "too rigid" in "blindly following the rules." And as for the guidelines themselves, there's no shortage of forum complaints asking for more flexibility in their application.

Maybe you should just try to be more rigidly flexible... or is that flexibly rigid? :tongue:

Anyway, keep up the good work!

...What that sounds like you are saying is that the person who runs the company should do what we tell them to do. I think the owner has every right to run the company the way he wants....Your suggestion has a one word term I think -- anarchy. ...

...Well, I hate to do this to you, but regarding newbies having a chance out there, so much is covered on the guidelines page:

Note: Exceptions to the following guidelines may occasionally be made depending on the novel nature and merits of a cache. If you have a cache idea you believe is novel, contact Geocaching.com before placing and reporting it on the Geocaching.com web site.

You have my point exactly backwards.

The owners of the site should set their vision so clearly that their knights and subjects can do more than speculate. Like it or not they can't rule on every single nuance that comes up. That's what the underlying vision is for. So you as an approver can act on behalf of the site with their blessing and authority and we as cache owners can set caches knowing before we submit that they will be approved. That's just reality. If it's done poorly then you also have anarchy and a lot more work.

The snippet of the guidelines you quoted point out a problem. The guidelines are there for a reason. Partly for the good of geocaching as a whole and party to implement this sites vision and preferences. Those simple reasons are the bigger picture of why the guidelines are there. Should a cache come along that is viable and meets the intent of the bigger picture then it should be approvable. Approvers should be able to recognize this and approve the cache without running it up the ladder for a split hair check. GC.com has already proven it doesnt' have the itme to do every project out there that would benifit geocaching. Why distract them from the things they can do?

But like you said, that too is the choice of those who run this site. The forums are a source of ideas for TPTB. They may or may not choose to utilize them.

Thank you, RK. I agree with you.

It sucks that people want to try to recruit new geocachers to the game and any idea to do that is immediately shot down by the approvers because of very vague, yet strict guidelines. I don't blame them though, because they are only doing their job and they answer to TPTB.

My inquiry, which I apologize for not explaining better in my initial post, was how to could turn a temporary cache into an approved cache so non-members could get credit for it. Because there would be members and non-members present at the fair, I wasn't sure if it would be approved as an event cache because of the members present or if it wouldn't get approved because of the temporary status of the cache I wanted to hide. What I really wanted was for a cache to be approved and listed so that non-members that came to hunt for it at the fair could get the credit for it before becoming members. My thinking is, if new people to the game found my hidden cache at the fair, they would see that they already had a find they could log in. That would give them more motivation to come to the website, become a real member and log in their first find. My main goal is to open up the game to people that don't know about geocaching. So, per the guidelines, I can still educate people but nobody gets credit for the find. That dumps the motivation idea of new people already having one under their belt to log, even before becoming a member.

I am still going to look into having a geocaching booth at the fair. But if my temporary cache idea doesn't fit the guidelines, then it doesn't fit the guidelines. I'm not asking for a special favor, but maybe the guidelines need to be tweaked a little if the reasons behind a cache idea benefit the game as a whole. If I can't hold an event with an approved cache because of its temporary status, then all I'm left with is setting up a booth and hoping that the information I can provide motivates people enough to want to join the game. I don't get much interest when I just tell people about the game now. But if I could get those people to actually find a cache and really understand what I am telling them about, it might make the difference between someone becoming a member or not. This is one of the biggest fairs in Missouri. It attracts people from all over the state, vacationers from out of state and vendors from all over the country. That's why I thought it would be a perfect place to set up a booth and SHOW people what geocaching is really all about instead of just trying to explain it to them by handing them a couple flyers.

Maybe I should have emailed my approver and discussed this first but like others have said, I wouldn't get approval for the cache because of its temporary status. That would have left me wondering why an event is a temporary cache and gets approval, yet a temporary cache isn't allowed. I also wouldn't have the input and discussion from the rest of the geocaching community about the idea and what I could do to get it approved. This idea I had kinda grew from this thread. I am just asking how to make my idea into an approved cache so everyone benefits, members and non-members alike.

I am just asking how to make my idea into an approved cache so everyone benefits, members and non-members alike.

You've already gotten your answer.

Either create an event cache, after first working with your local approver to ensure it's actually an event and not just pigbacking on an existing festival,

or...

Get permission from the land owner to place a regular cache in the vicinity of the fair.

Temporary caches in connection with geocaching events are hidden every week, week in and week out, because there are event caches every week. That is one of the primary reasons for the guidelines concerning cache permanence. It is enough of a task to keep up with the dozens of "permanent" caches I review each week, without seeing ten more show up in the queue on a Friday evening with a note saying they "have to be approved" by the following morning because of the XYZ Group's picnic. The cache permanence guidelines exist as much for the efficient use of the volunteer reviewers' time as they do for any other reason; there's no need to focus anger at "The Powers That Be."

So, absolutely, go ahead and place some temporary caches, like everyone else does. They just won't have their own separate cache pages. Hand out photocopied instruction sheets and maybe have a verification method to show the cache was found, so the finder returns to the booth with a token or something and gets to pick a prize. If getting an official geocaching.com smiley face for the find is *that* important, then allow finds for the temporary caches to be logged on the event page. That's what many event organizers do, although others follow the "one cache page, one find" rule.

Edited by Keystone Approver

Here's what the Alabama Geocachers Association did when we found that we couldn't really have an event cache at another non-geocaching related event. We simply placed a permanent cache at the site of the event and used it in our demonstrations (we actually recruited a few good geocachers that day that are a real asset to our Association). Next year when the TROCAfest is held in the same location we'll have the permanent geocache already in place. Here's the cache that we placed:

The TROCAfest Cache

Many of the cito event caches were held in conjuction with local earth day events. An event within and event. Is there a particular reason that a booth at the fair is not allowed as an event cache, other than it's against the guidelines? I would appreciate knowing why this type of event is disallowed. Perhaps the guidelines need to be changed.

Here's what the Alabama Geocachers Association did when we found that we couldn't really have an event cache at another non-geocaching related event. We simply placed a permanent cache at the site of the event and used it in our demonstrations (we actually recruited a few good geocachers that day that are a real asset to our Association). Next year when the TROCAfest is held in the same location we'll have the permanent geocache already in place. Here's the cache that we placed:

The TROCAfest Cache

bow.gif

Many of the cito event caches were held in conjuction with local earth day events. An event within and event. Is there a particular reason that a booth at the fair is not allowed as an event cache, other than it's against the guidelines? I would appreciate knowing why this type of event is disallowed. Perhaps the guidelines need to be changed.

You are talking about two different cache types.

If a CITO event within another non geocaching event is allowed...why not a regular event?  I don't get it.  Sounds like a split hair to me.

I agree, it does sound like you are trying to split hairs to me too. ;)

Since you were not geocaching when the CITO cache was developed, you must not realize that it was developed specifically to coincide with Earth Day events in April of 2003. One problem that was realized last year is that the International CITO Earth Day Events last year happened after Earth Day and many parks were cleaned up already. That is why it was done before Earth Day this year.

But, this topic is not about CITO Events. Please stay on topic.

(Edited spelling, forgot to iespell)

Edited by mtn-man
If a CITO event within another non geocaching event is allowed...why not a regular event? I don't get it. Sounds like a split hair to me.

The TROCAfest is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

If a cache event is "Geocachers, meeting other geocachers to discuss geocaching" then that's the bright line used and to do more is splitting hairs.

The problem seems to stem from cache event quality control, similar to the wow factor on virtuals which creates far more problems than it solves. On the other hand I really don’t like local cache group meetings as cache events. It’s not a special meeting of cachers at all. Introducing what constitutes special is though is subjective and so I’d rather have the simpler bright line test and live with the stupid result that all local group meetings can be cache events. Maybe that should be spun off like CITO Events were.

The problem seems to stem from cache event quality control, similar to the wow factor on virtuals which creates far more problems than it solves.  On the other hand I really don’t like local cache group meetings as cache events.  It’s not a special meeting of cachers at all.  Introducing what constitutes special is though is subjective and so I’d rather have the simpler bright line test and live with the stupid result that all local group meetings can be cache events.  Maybe that should be spun off like CITO Events were.

I don't really understand all of that, I have to say. Some needs to be rephrased.

Regarding what an event cache is, I guess I can draw from my own experience. Our last GGA meeting discussed poisonous plants and we showed real examples of poison ivy vs. virginia creeper. They look similar, so we showed cachers what to be on the lookout for when they were caching. Some did not know the difference. Next we discussed ticks and mosquitoes and such -- how to remove ticks, deet vs. permethrin, etc. After that we discussed the Jeep Travel Bugs and what was going on with the contests. Our next meeting is going to focus on snakes with examples being shown to us by the GA Herpetological Society, what the GGA can do to work with Big Brothers and Big Sisters to get some kids out to go geocaching and *hopefully* distribution of some of the Yellow Jeep TBugs. Geo-Woodstock 1 was just a bunch of cachers milling around and meeting and chatting with each other. Are you saying that those are not geocaching events?

The TROCAfest is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

It really wasn't a problem for us, we just placed the cache, which we could all find and log and gave it a TROCAfest theme. The cache lives on, even today, and will be there next year to be used for the same purpose while bringing enjoyment to others throughout the year. Happy geocaching!

So someone tell me what is it about having a booth run by geocachers at the fair that makes it not an event? Is the muggles that come into the picture? I am not going doing it to promote the fair, I am doing it to promote and discuss geocaching. It just happens to be inside the fairgrounds. Would it be different if I was doing it in a parking lot outside the fairgrounds? I really am getting lost in this argument...lol

I'm still trying to stay focused on the fact that I would like for a cache to be listed so that new people to the game that found my cache at the fair would be able to come to the website, register as a member and to log that find. It's the motivation factor for those people that I am looking to achieve. Keep in mind that there is no way I can leave the cache there permanently after the fair is over.

Edited by PandyBat

Just hide a permanent cache at, or near, the fairgrounds and use it in your demonstrations. In fact, it could be a 'Fair Theme' cache maybe you could even put ride coupons in it or other fair related items. Everyone that visits your booth could still log the cache and it would be there next time the fair comes through town.

Edited by jeff35080
Just hide a permanent cache at, or near, the fairgrounds and use it in your demonstrations. In fact, it could be a 'Fair Theme' cache maybe you could even put ride coupons in it or other fair related items. Everyone that visits your booth could still log the cache and it would be there next time the fair comes through town.

I can't do that either. The zoo is right next to the fairgrounds and that would break the .10 rule. That's why this one would have to be temporary. There is no doubt that the two wouldn't be confused because the one at the zoo is free, whereas the one I would have at the fair is also free although you have to pay at the gate to get into the fair.

The problem is that the entire purpose of the fair is not geocaching. It is great that you want to set up a booth, but it is only a very small part of a preplanned and I would imagine a heavily promoted event. You did not create the event or plan it. You are a very small participant in it. Does the headline of the advertisement read "Come to our Geocaching Fair!"? I bet is doesn't.

My best suggestion is for you to attend an geocaching event put on by one of the Missouri organizations.

EDIT: With some checking, I see that you are!

OMG - Geocaching 101

PandyBat's Log

Edited by mtn-man

I can't do that either. The zoo is right next to the fairgrounds and that would break the .10 rule. That's why this one would have to be temporary. There is no doubt that the two wouldn't be confused because the one at the zoo is free, whereas the one I would have at the fair is also free although you have to pay at the gate to get into the fair.

Um, so why not use the existing cache instead for the folks you are trying to hook? If you want to give the established geocachers something to do as well, hide one wherever you want. They'll make the trip...