A Gps For You Laptop

I've been watching that one for a while now, and plan to purchase one for a radio tracking setup I've been working on. I see that they're listing the availability date as June 2004 now - better than the "2nd quarter 2004" their page was recently showing (pushed back from a previous April 21 release date). Looks like it'll be a good unit once it hits the streets.

Am eagerly awaiting the actual availability date.

IMHO, I think this is quite overpriced for what it is. You'll get the same functionality from a yellow eTrex (or any other handheld GPS) and a serial USB converter at a fraction of the cost. Unless they sell this for $30, I don't see the point.

Yes, I agree 100%. If you're reading this, chances pretty darn good you already own a GPS in which case all you need is the adapter. This is a for a different market I think.

Some USB implementations can't support NMEA output and with the GPS18 I understand it does not output NMEA but outputs data using the Garmin USB interface/protocol?

So with the GPS18 if one wants NMEA support then it is either the GPS18 PC or GPS18 LVC versions but it appears all the 3 GPS18 version can be configured to output binary phase data.

Cheers, Kerry.

IMHO, I think this is quite overpriced for what it is. You'll get the same functionality from a yellow eTrex (or any other handheld GPS) and a serial USB converter at a fraction of the cost. Unless they sell this for $30, I don't see the point.

As is often the case, the "suggested retail price" on the Garmin site is quite overinflated. I have seen "pre-release" listings for this device running $70-80. Probably less with some good shopping and good luck.

Everything is subject to change until its actually on the shelves, though...

Some USB implementations can't support NMEA output and with the GPS18 I understand it does not output NMEA but outputs data using the Garmin USB interface/protocol?

So with the GPS18 if one wants NMEA support then it is either the GPS18 PC or GPS18 LVC versions but it appears all the 3 GPS18 version can be configured to output binary phase data.

Cheers, Kerry.

Yes, it appears that way.

Quote from http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18oem/index.jsp

The GPS 18 is offered in three different cable configurations: A-style USB, DB-9 pin serial with 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter (PC), or bare wire (LVC). The PC and LVC versions both default to output data in the industry standard NMEA 0183 data format, but may also be user programmed to output data in the GARMIN proprietary format. The USB version produces data only in the GARMIN proprietary format. All three versions of the GPS 18 come complete with non-volatile memory for storage of configuration information, a real-time clock, and raw measurement output data for sophisticated customer applications. The LVC version additionally provides a pulse-per-second logic level output whose rising edge is aligned to the UTC second within 1 microsecond. The USB 2.0 full-speed version of the GPS18 is also compatible with USB 1.1 full-speed hosts.

Lots of people don't want hand held GPS's. But they want to add auto-navigation, so it's a natural for Garmin. Plus they get to sell their software.

My guess, if they don't have it yet, will be a GPS to slips into the CF slot of your Pocket PC.

Lots of companies are doing both already.

Aaln

Edited by Alan2

If the unlock policy works the same way here as it does for other products (and I believe it does), then you can unlock City Select for an additional GPS. This means if you have a 60c, a 196, 76c or some other autorouting product that doesn't come with City Select, this is an interesting way to pick up a copy along with a USB GPS (that doesn't need a need to plug in to your car :tongue: ), and autonavigation software for a laptop.

The Garmin unit is interesting. Didn't know that was coming. I wonder how the City Select autonavigation works in the PPC. I'm using Mapopolis now. It's pretty good but has some limitation on long distance trips. IT'll be interesting to see how Garmin compares to Mapopolis.

I'm using a Fortuna CF GPS with second highly sensitive setting that pulls the sats in the woods; something my Vista doesn't. It will be interesting to see how Garmin's CF GPS compares.