Why not National Parks?

Team MGGPS

quote:
Originally posted by MGGPS:

I was going over the rules and noticed that any cache placed on lands managed by The National Parks will be archived. Why? What about caches in National Forests?

Because the Parks Service doesn't allow them. Maybe a little lobbying may change their mind someday, but for now, they aren't allowed.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

I thought I read that National Forests were off limits also. The Feds seem to not be big supporters of geocaching. I would check more before I placed anything on Fed property. They watch the geocaching lists and remove the caches soon after they are placed.

I have never observed any problems with geocaching in National Forests here at Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Almost all the caches around here are in National Forest Lands. These caches I feel have been placed in locations that do not impact the environment in a negative manner. I could see a problem arise if a cache were to be placed in a sensitive area where foot traffic could damage the area. You should well plan and consider what impact your cache will have on the environment before you place your cache in a National Forest. After placing your cache, you should visit it often to see what impact it is having. If you notice any negative impact the cache should be removed. Geocaching in National Forests is a great way to get out and enjoy some our great scenic areas in the United States!

That rule must apply to new caches only. Just for the heck of it, last night I started looking at the Park Service website and compared their maps, where posted, against caches placed. There are plenty of active caches on Nation Park land. I should have kept a list, but if it was that easy for me to do, certainly the whole crew at geocaching.com would have no trouble archiving them if they were serious about this. I also saw some caches near railroads and bridges as well, if I recall. I was thinking of emailing the cache owners, but I believe its probably the web sites responsibility, not mine, and I don't want to tick anyone else off lest more of my caches get plundered icon_frown.gif

That rule must apply to new caches only. Just for the heck of it, last night I started looking at the Park Service website and compared their maps, where posted, against caches placed. There are plenty of active caches on Nation Park land. I should have kept a list, but if it was that easy for me to do, certainly the whole crew at geocaching.com would have no trouble archiving them if they were serious about this. I also saw some caches near railroads and bridges as well, if I recall. I was thinking of emailing the cache owners, but I believe its probably the web sites responsibility, not mine, and I don't want to tick anyone else off lest more of my caches get plundered icon_frown.gif