Wierd Rock Formations In The Woods! Explination?

I'm just not buying it.

http://contrapunctus.net/league/photo/pcd0423/011.php - The same guy doing his thing in San Fran.

http://www.elaccess.com/devotion/rocks/ - more rocks.

http://www.klatu.com/lix/rockatier/ - some other people doing the same thing.

It's a really cool skill. It's sad when someone learns how to do something magical and we decide to distrust them rather than enjoy it.

You're right. I should have more faith in people. Sometimes your mind won't let you believe what your eyes are seeing.

... I just got done reading Midnight in the Garden of good and Evil...

I hope you didn't or haven't seen the movie. Honestly, the movie didn't make sense to me without having read the book. If I can find my copy, I'll leave the book in a book swap cache I'm planning, and I'll pile rocks all around it! ;)

I would love to know the origin of this one.  It is apparently one of several VERY LARGE rocks in the tops of trees in the area.  This one is about 30 feet up.  Picture is mine and NOT photoshopped.

None of the usual speculation makes any sense.  Trees do not grow up from the ground, they grow by sending up shoots, thus a fork at ground level will always be at ground level.  The rock could not have grown up with the tree.

Could have been a "college prank" but if so, it was a LOT of work.  Trails in are narrow and steep.  No room for construction equipment.  Would have been VERY difficult with block and tackle.  Even carrying the stone in would have been (if you pardon the expression) "monumental".

There are no similar stones lying around.

I plan to study these rocks further this summer if I have the time.

(edit:) Cache is called "Indy Star Misdirection" by Indy Diver

Gobbler’s Rock

Yes, it IS Gobbler's rock. Seems the newspaper dont know nothing neither.

As for "Gobbler's Rock" or whatever it is, I have a theory. In Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, there was a flash flood. The water came down a short waterfall so forcefully that larger boulders came bouncing down, and managed to snap off the tops of most of the nearby trees (not too many trees were killed, but plenty are a lot shorter now). Perhaps there is a stream with a waterfall nearby, and the rock was placed up there by weather? Not too plausible, but you never know...