Snakes

I went out caching for the 1st time in a long time and had 2 encounters that made me rethink my choices.

The 1st was with a group of Teenagers in the Parking lot of a park. Now I'm not someone that thinks every teenager is up to no good, but I'm also not a head in the sand kind of guy.

It was really a "you had to be there" situation, but lets just say that the interest they took in me was a bit unsettling. I could almost chalk it up to paranoia except for the fact that they left the area after I walked down the trail a ways and kept watch on them (I could see they were watching me). I was wearing a shirt that I had gotten from a K9 Nationals competition (it has a shefiff's star on front and a K9 on back with some large writing about K9 Nationals). I won't swear this has anything to do with it but people tend to see what they want to see (or are afraid of seeing). I've been too long involved with law enforcement (disclaimer: I am not an officer) too long and have learned I have a pretty good eye for bad potential.

I only bring this type of thing up to hopefully remind people to be aware your surrounding before you leave to go cache hunting. Finding a cache is hardly worth dealing with insurance for a stolen or vandalized car. B)

Now for the normal types of snake. I had a little fella remind me that I really need to watch where I'm putting my feet. I was only doing caches in an urban setting and was not dressed to deal with snakes (shorts and tennis shoes). The little guy was kind enough to jump in creek before I did and we stared at each other for a while. I'm was thinking it was a copperhead at 1st but I wouldn't rule out a young rattler. B)

So today I got 2 pretty rude awakenings. I will be rethinking my caching stratagies before my next outing.

Be safe out there people (and trust your instincts). :lol:

Hi! Welcome to caching!

So, were the teenagers cachers, or just some that you came across? Most/almost all cachers are very nice and helpful. Strangers to caching can be a mixed bag. If the teens were not cachers, I say don't let that deter you. When that happens, just wandering off can work. They tend to lose interest quicky. In the alternative, you can explain what you are doing, but if they seem like delinquent teens, I can see why a person might want to hesitate there!

With snakes, it is always good to watch were you are and not stick a hand into an unseen area without checking first. I have to admit that I love coming across snakes and other wildlife while caching and tend to go nuts trying to take pics (which I also tend to fail at). But certainly taking care is important!

B)

My very first cache had a snake in it. It was a regular cache hidden under a small piece of plywood. Mark it up to experience or whatever, but I did use my toe to flip the board out of the way. The snake and I were both surprised but fortunately I didn't have my hand down close where he would have something to strike. Most snakes don't want close interaction any more than I do. . . with the exception of water mocassins during their breeding season. Those little buggers get very aggressive and will actually come after you. While living in the Dallas area for many years I had way too many encounters with them.

As to your encounter with the teens, I'm glad you didn't have any further problems. One of my coworkers was recently attached by a group of teens in a local park just after dusk. Fortunately for him they had been drinking and their abilities didn't match their bravado. He broke the "leaders" nose and quickly took the wind out of their sails. As a precaution, he contacted the police and filed a full report just to make sure his side of the story was on record if one of their parents decided that "poor little Johnny" had been attacked while out playing. . . The police were really good about it and he never heard anything more about it.

It's nice when the good guy walks away unhurt.

Edited by LETaylor

As for the teenagers... I wasn't really worried about a confrontation (unless they were going to be stupid enough to mess with my truck)... what really bothered me was that it meant that I couldn't comfortably continue on the hunt until I was sure what they were going to do.

I used to know and run with people like that (thus my natural distrust) and I know the vibe they give off.... B)

My point was just to give people a nudge about being heads up in this crazy world B)

Not to stir the pot but its always good to be aware of your surroundings and open to all the possible scenerios that could occur.

I was out geocaching at a park (with full parking lot and facilities) and when I came back from finding the cache my truck's back sliding window had been pried open. I was the lucky one, the dodge ram on the other side of the lot had its back window completely smashed out. The funny thing was (if you could call it funny) a fellow geocacher who actually owned the cache I was looking for came as the crook was about to reach into my truck so he ran and made a getaway. (the police eventually caught him since we caught his plates)

Don't let petty things ruin your hunt but always give yourself an out.

I walked down the trail a ways and kept watch on them (I could see they were watching me). I was wearing a shirt that I had gotten from a K9 Nationals competition (it has a shefiff's star on front and a K9 on back with some large writing about K9 Nationals).

Sorry. You're walking around in a cop shirt and you're wondering why teenagers are watching you?

Let me think about it.

1) Because in their eyes, you're a cop. That makes you an enemy and a dangerous one at that.

2) Because they can see that you're watching them just like you can see that they're watching you.

From what I'm reading they treated you no differently than you treated them, and yet you're referring to them as "snakes"? You both didn't trust the other, you both watched the other, and you both were probably grateful when the other side left.

My wife and I were hunting a cache at a somewhat remote reservoir. We parked our car and there were two teens on the shore, next to the lot (ours was the only car in the lot). They were dressed in the rapper costume popular with many teens, but it was more the way they were acting that made me suspicious. They kept looking around as if they were checking to see if anyone was watching and they eyed us intently as we walked by.

We headed towards the cache, but I told my wife I had a bad feeling about the kids...and our car parked there, with dozens of CD's, camera equipment, etc... So we ducked into the woods and I pulled out binoculars and watched them pace around, walking into the lot near our car and back to the lakeshore where they seemed to be looking in our direction to see where we went.

I watched them for about 15 minutes, ready to go after them when they tried to break into our car, which I was certain was their goal. Suddenly a car pulls up an middle aged woman gets out and they go to a nearby tree, grab fishing rods and tackle boxes and a cooler (none of which I had noticed) and hopped in the car and were gone. They were just waiting for their ride...probably from mom. Oh well. I felt like a jerk and we turned and headed off to the cache.

Edited by briansnat

The kids and I caught a worm snake this weekend.

snake9.jpg

What a catch!!! These are kinda of rare snakes to find in our area. There are plenty of them out in the wild however they like to burrow so finding one can be a challenge. Also, we caught (3) large skinks and a very large Fence Lizard. We played with them for a little while and then let them go. The kids loved it.

Can a snake in water bite you? I've always heard they can't because they don't have anything to push against in order to strike like they do on the ground. Is that true?

Don't know the answer for sure, however, I have read accounts of people getting bite by Water moccasins (or Cottonmouths) while crossing rivers or streams. Some water snakes also eat fish, so I would guess they can bite you while swimming.

Well, when people talk about water moccasins coming after you, I picture myself in the middle of the river swimming around and here comes this snake trying to get me. I picture myself as this huge water buffalo trying to get out of the water real quick. Not a pretty picture..lol

So that's why I was wondering if they could bite you once they got to you if you were actually in the water. Maybe they are talking about them coming after you when they are not in the water, maybe on the waters edge?

Can a snake in water bite you? I've always heard they can't because they don't have anything to push against in order to strike like they do on the ground. Is that true?

Don't know the answer for sure, however, I have read accounts of people getting bite by Water moccasins (or Cottonmouths) while crossing rivers or streams. Some water snakes also eat fish, so I would guess they can bite you while swimming.

Yes snakes can bite you in the water. Their striking range however is much more limited because of the non-solid surface. Most snakes, in or out of the water, will run vs. bite if given a choice. Having said that I'd give cottonmouths a wide berth in the water; the snake can almost certainly outmaneuver and outpace you if you're in deep water. Marine Sea snakes certainly can, but I don't think that's what you were asking.

Visit this for some good information.

The other day, I found a tiny, colorful, flattened snake (one of those fake corals) in a parking lot. Paper thin, it had been run over so much--but very pretty. So I took it to Kinko's and got it laminated! Yay! It makes a great bookmark <_<

Can't laminate teenagers, though...

Are you going to make it into a TB? help my snake crawl across the US or leave snakey to scare the next cacher who will move him along?

I don't know you and you don't know me... so we have the disadvantage of not knowing what the other person is like which means I don't know what I should be reading into your response.

You didn't know the kids but that didn't stop you from making judgement calls about them and talking about them in an accusatory manner on a public forum.

They did nothing to you, didn't break the law, didn't harm your property, and yet you feel they deserve to be referred to as "snakes" on a public forum.

<_<

Edited by bons
You didn't know the kids but that didn't stop you from making judgement calls about them and talking about them in an accusatory manner on a public forum.

They did nothing to you, didn't break the law, didn't harm your property, and yet you feel they deserve to be referred to as "snakes" on a public forum.

:D<_<:D:D:D

:D<_< This is the first time I am answering a forum, I only have been reading them for a month. I had to reply as I am very grateful for the heads up about keeping my guard up for all snakes. I am new to caching and would not have considered either of these things to keep in mind. Thank you . Those who have questioned your motives should be ashamed. As a new person and a woman to boot. I appreciate your experience so I can learn. As I am sure others do too. Thank you again.
:D<_< This is the first time I am answering a forum, I only have been reading them for a month. I had to reply as I am very grateful for the heads up about keeping my guard up for all snakes. I am new to caching and would not have considered either of these things to keep in mind. Thank you . Those who have questioned your motives should be ashamed. As a new person and a woman to boot. I appreciate your experience so I can learn. As I am sure others do too. Thank you again.

you have to be careful. i was doing a cache on christmas eve in a big park and the only one besides me there was a worker in the park. he paid no attention to me but i was aware of his location at all times. i'm sure those women who were killed in yellowstone a few years ago didn't think a park worker was a killer.

My apologies. Apparently it is within forum guidelines to insult anyone as long as they are a non-member and not here to defend themselves.

Remember, people who watch you are "snakes". Don't trust them. You should be careful by watching them as well. Watching them doesn't make you a snake. That's because you're the good guy. You can tell you're the good guy because good guys watch people, judge them, and tell everyone else how bad the bad people are just in case the bad people didn't actually do anything bad this time.

This message has been brought to you by the American Association of Law Enforcement Officers. "To protect, serve, and get away with behavior we wouldn't tolerate if it was done to us."

sheesh! lighten up francis. it's not an insult unless it's done to their face. if you think you are safe anywhere, try going to cabrini green in chicago and walking around. i give you an hour tops. i trust no one when i am out caching alone. i don't care if they are wearing a suit and tie, or jeans and sneakers. being alert everywhere you go is the way it is in some places. reality bites but it's the way the world is now.

Gosh!!! Bon you seem to be very sarcastic. This will be the last time I reply to a forum. I do not care for your way of talking that was not what I call an apology. If this is what forums are about I will not be a part of this. Being new to caching. I do trust that other cachers are not like you.

Gosh!!! Bon you seem to be very sarcastic. This will be the last time I reply to a forum. I do not care for your way of talking that was not what I call an apology. If this is what forums are about I will not be a part of this. Being new to caching. I do trust that other cachers are not like you.

not all of us agree with him.

Is not one of the central tenets of all hikers to be aware of their surroundings. Unpredicable weather, toxic plants, dangerous fauna, difficult trails and the like are some of the hazards of hiking in any situation. I have cached some suburban parks that I was nervous in due to the prevalence of teen-agers and the middle-aged pervs watching them. Maybe the old guys weren't pervs but I had no compunction about making that harsh judgment call at the time and acted appropriately.

Sheesh.

Off Topic: Some here post inflamitory replies on a regular basis. They don't like those who have a sense of humor, and good manners. Please forgive them I think they didn't get enough hugs as children.

On Topic: You have little to fear in any situation if you don't act like prey. No matter how scared you are make a pretense of self assurance. But always be aware of your surroundings and have a plan.

<_< Thank you uperdooper & Hawkbit. I do not know how to quote like you did but I appreciate your words. I will wear proper foot gear when caching next and just be more aware of my surroundings so I can remain as safe as I can. Thank you again.

it might not hurt to wear hipboots in the forums too. it gets pretty deep in here sometimes. if you want to ask a question where you won't get a sarcastic answer, just go to abject silliness. we don't take things so seriously there. :D

...You took this one step too far...you see... the people that I mentioned were not singled out by any other description than "teenagers" a highly generic term at best, but you are going to trash people that put their lives on the line for you daily? And your justification would be because I was wearing a shirt that has LEO references to it.....

Yet the title of this thread is

Snakes, Both reptile and Human

<_<

The threat level has just gone to code orange.

<_<

This could very well be a civil discussion and an informative topic. It has gotten out of hand. I agree totally with uperdooper...

"sheesh! lighten up francis."

Everyone needs to be careful these days. You need to be careful of animals with no legs, the two legged animals, the four legged animals, the many legged animals (I've heard that ticks are everywhere this year, I see log after log mentioning them). It is a crazy world we live in. Be careful where you are and where you step.

Bons, I totally respect your right to have an opinion. Hawkbit, I totally respect your rights to your opinions too as well as your service to your community. BUT, both of you need to get back to a civil discussion. I think you have both have overreacted. I think your points have been made.

This is a family forum. Post accordingly... or this topic will go to code red.

Thanks MTN-Man for the edit... my bad

( I removed all of my post except for the original --- I should know better than to let my buttons be so easily pushed)

Appologies to latecomers to the thread... I'm sure someone archived the original thead contents.... I now return you to your post already in progress <_<

Edited by Hawkbit

Albeit I totaly agree that one has to be particularly careful these days, I always wonder how suspicous "our lot" is considered by others? :D When I'm out and about geocaching, wearing outdoor clothing, stuffed pockets with unknown content, behaving oddly enough by looking or poking around with no apparent reason, I can imagine that *I am* the supect for many. :D (I'm pleading not guilty! <_<)

When I was checking out a potential cache location in a city park recently, the mothers who were enjoying the sunny afternoon there with their playing children eyed me closely. Being a father of a 20 months old son myself I can fully understand that. A stranger strolling through the bushes, here and there, apparently behaving obviously con-inconspicous. "Shockingly enough, we are now those guys our parents always warned us of." :D (I did not place the cache there.)

Be prudent and be careful, but don't get paranoid. Most people are nice and similarly afraid of the stranger as you are... :D

Enjoy,

HoPri

Edited by HoPri
it's not an insult unless it's done to their face.

The number of people upset by the "get a life" news report says otherwise. It's a behavior that as a group we refused to tolerate when it was done to us. Because of that, it's a behavior I don't want to see us get into.

If everyone had just blown that one off, I wouldn't care. But they couldn't and they didn't. They wanted the man's job for what he said. Because of that I belive we now have a responsibilty to behave in a manner that we request of others.

i trust no one when i am out caching alone.  i don't care if they are wearing a suit and tie, or jeans and sneakers. being alert everywhere you go is the way it is in some places.  reality bites but it's the way the world is now.

Now that's a statement I can agree with, and one I don't think the original poster was getting across with their example.

The teenagers were doing exactly as you suggested. They were being alert and they weren't trusting someone. It just turns out that the person they didn't trust was a geocacher.

Given that geocachers tend to behave a bit suspiciously and oddly in public by trying to be sneaky this sort of behavior leads to a number of problems. There's a good chance perfectly normal people are going to behave oddly around you. They're going to watch you. And if these people belong to a class of people that you don't trust because of race (see the above cabrini green example), age (see the first post regarding teenagers), profession (see the first post regarding the teenagers behavior towards a police officer), or some other factor, it's easy to decide to distrust them all the more.

So in addition to being alert to your surroundings and the people around you, please be alert to your behavior, and how your actions and reactions may be perceived by those around you, because if we can use "the way the world is now" to justify our suspicions of others, they are allowed to use "the way the world is now" to justify their suspicions of us.

Edited by bons
Some areas of the US are so lacking in snakes that they are trying to reintroduce them.  My kids really panicked when they read this article.    <_<  :D

MC

Rattlers returned to MDI

...they plan to import about 10,000 rattler eggs which will be hidden at strategic places in the designated areas around Easter time.

Suddenly 4000 Yellow Jeep travel bugs pale in comparison.

"Found Snakebite cache. Left Rattler Travel Bug. Left snake bite kit. Took off."

Edited by bons
The number of people upset by the "get a life" news report tells me that we find insulting someone else, even if we can't identify who they are referring to, to be very offensive behavior. It's a behavior that as a group we refused to tolerate when it was done to us. Because of that, it's a behavior I don't want to see us get into.

If everyone had just blown that one off, I wouldn't care. But they couldn't and they didn't. They wanted the man's job for what he said. Because of that I belive we now have a responsibilty to behave in a manner that we request of others.

Huh? <_<

The number of people upset by the "get a life" news report tells me that we find insulting someone else, even if we can't identify who they are referring to, to be very offensive behavior. It's a behavior that as a group we refused to tolerate when it was done to us. Because of that, it's a behavior I don't want to see us get into.

Huh? <_<

It was one of those "you had to be there" threads, Brian. :D

Most of the argument was edited by the OP.

I'm pretty careful about snakes, spiders, crawly things. And I'm wary of strangers. I'm in Florida and doing some caching, and here I have to not only look out for snakes, but scorpions, black widow spiders, brown recluse, alligators, and even the stupid plants made me bleed!! But my scariest moment was getting some dinner at the nearby KFC. The employees were scary. Some of the customers were scary. (not imagined, a comment was made to my face under his breath as I walked in the door). The dinner was scary. I tried to call the manager to complain about the food, but no one answered the phone after 15 rings. To remain on topic, there was a cache across the street. Not scary but so lame I walked away from it when I got within 20 feet. I shall leave the name of the city anonymous. I'll have to come back to Florida in the future, but I'll stay away from this town!

Snakes prefer frogs for dinner:

80681_400.JPG

taken on the way to one of my own caches

Edited by Planet
It was one of those "you had to be there" threads, Brian. <_<

If by "OP" you mean the moderator (me), then that is not correct. I only removed three words and changed one in a post that is now gone. They were removed by the author.

Those post are not saved except for one, by the way, and are now totally gone.

It was one of those "you had to be there" threads, Brian.  <_<

If by "OP" you mean the moderator (me), then that is not correct. I only removed three words and changed one in a post that is now gone. They were removed by the author.

Those post are not saved except for one, by the way, and are now totally gone.

OP= Original Poster.

Newbies....shessh!

Crawly things is exactly why people should carry a walking stick, and maybe even a pair of gloves. Black Widows are abundant here, as are small scorpions. Leather hiking boot are prefered footwear for protection against Western Diamondback, and Pygmy Rattlers.

We went to a cache this weekend to an area we had been wanting to go to for years. It sits between two active forest fires in New Mexico, that at this time are out of control. This last weekend thought they were still small but it made me aware that mountain lions and bears could possibly be on the move and in a dangerous frame of mind.

Geocaching is fun, but you have to be AWARE of what is going on around you at all times no matter if its urban or suburban, or out in the wilds.