Handlebar Mounts

B) Has anybody used the Garmin handlebar mount when riding. When I'm riding the gps shuts off. I have talked to Garmin and they said maybe the battery comes lose. Has anybody had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I like to go riding and geocaching at the same time and really would like to use the gps on the handlebar.
B) Has anybody used the Garmin handlebar mount when riding. When I'm riding the gps shuts off. I have talked to Garmin and they said maybe the battery comes lose. Has anybody had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I like to go riding and geocaching at the same time and really would like to use the gps on the handlebar.

I have the same problem and haven't fixed it yet (or tried to). I sent in a support request at the garmin web site and never heard back. Just haven't had time to pursue it yet. Hope you find a solution and share it here! There are a couple of threads buried in here about it already, suggesting ways to make the batteries fit tighter.

Sounds like the same problem I had (and several other people) with my legend and my rino. The batteries are loose inside the case and loose contact during the bumpy ride. You can bend out the springs that hold the batteries for a temp fix, or do what I did and get some of the foam strip sealer like what goes around windows or doors and put a little strip on the battery cover so that it makes contact with the battery and holds it still for a more permanent fix.

I have a garmin e-trex, and I purchased a handle bar mount from an outdoors store in Toronto. I just love it. It's so handy having the info infront of you and your hands free. I definatly recommend picking one up. I would surf to Garmin's web site www.garmin.com and see if they have one for your model

B)

This problem came up a couple of years ago with Garmin's GPS V. At that time some users mentioned that Garmin sent them a spacer of some sort to solve the problem.

The other interesting point that came out of it all was the fact that some batteries have a slightly smaller physical size than the norm and would be loose in the compartment and cause a break in contact. Sorry, I don't remember what brand(s) were culprits.

Cheers, Olar

This problem came up a couple of years ago with Garmin's GPS V. At that time some users mentioned that Garmin sent them a spacer of some sort to solve the problem.

I'm curious as to how they could solve a problem that way with the V. The V has two independant tubes used for the battery compartment. I'm not sure how this could be an issue with the V. Just curious.

This problem came up a couple of years ago with Garmin's GPS V.  At that time some users mentioned that Garmin sent them a spacer of some sort to solve the problem.

I'm curious as to how they could solve a problem that way with the V. The V has two independant tubes used for the battery compartment. I'm not sure how this could be an issue with the V. Just curious.

Yes, this was a problem with the V. I did not like the spacer solution they sent me for free, so I resorted back to putting a thin piece of plastic notebook cover or a cut strip of card stock between the battery 'tubes'. I still use my V for motorcycle riding and haven't had it cut off once since using this remedy. Also, the 'tubes' aren't entirely independent. There is open space between them.

Thanks,

I installed a cigarette lighter under the seat on my bike. I got an all weather sort of socket that has a rubber cap. I then wired in a fuse and attached it directly to the battery. For redundance I have a water proof case that goes around that and the plug for the gps just to make sure it is ok and then run the cable up around the underside of the tank to the handle bars. This is on my etrex legend. I have been in the rain with it and have not had a problem. The power adapter seals well enough. I no longer have it blinking off with momentary contacts and I can charge my cell phone under the seat to boot.

I also made a removable hard wire hookup but since I already had battery tender pigtails for each of my bikes I just wired a Garmin cable to a tender connector (standard 2 prong automotive trailer connector). It is also the same connector that my Gerbing's heated liner connects to so it makes a simple hookup for all 5 of my bikes and ATV.

Total cost was less than $10.

Edited by TPadden

You guys are using the wrong mount!.

Do a search for "RAM Mounts" on Google. Ram mounts are specifically designed to cut down, and even eliminate the shock factor due to the shock absorption rubber ball mounts used in their products. Its the ONLY mount to use for any sort of mobile electronics. I swear by em!

K5KOY

cockpit1.jpg

This is my garmin12 ram mount, also seen here is a ham radio Ram mount

This problem came up a couple of years ago with Garmin's GPS V.  At that time some users mentioned that Garmin sent them a spacer of some sort to solve the problem.

Yes, this was a problem with the V. I did not like the spacer solution they sent me for free, so I resorted back to putting a thin piece of plastic notebook cover or a cut strip of card stock between the battery 'tubes'. I still use my V for motorcycle riding and haven't had it cut off once since using this remedy. Also, the 'tubes' aren't entirely independent. There is open space between them.

Thanks,

Part of the problem can be the brand of batteries themselves. There are slight differences in the outside dimensions of the batteries that can cause some brands to shake enough that the connection is broken. I went through that recently with a couple of brands of rechargables. One works better than the other when in the bike mount. That's the reason for the spacer that Garmin provides with their handlebar mounts.