Weather Watch

BlueDeuce

As the locals are aware, Iowa as been pounded with storm after storm for many days now. (I know Nebraska has been hit hard too.) NOAA is reporting more storms to come and the flood warnings keep pouring in. The ground is so saturated that even a little rain can quickly turn an area into a flash flood zone. Most caches are placed near waterways and many have been archived.

Please! be aware of where you are caching and pay very close attention to current weather conditions! Heavy rains and tornado conditions are again being predicted..

Yep! I spent most of last night dodging tornados. Hmmm... Well I guess if going to the basement can be called dodging tornados? There is a lot of damage around my area. A nearby town (Hallam, NE) was pretty much totally destoyed. Fortunately I was lucky and just had to put up with some trips to the basement with the pets being unhappy in their carriers and then dealing with a messy yard today. The trees around here drop branches at the slightest wind, and it was no slight wind last night! I looked out at one point when the radar said the storm was 30 miles away and the trees were bending over to the ground and large hail was falling!

I wonder if any caches have been affected? I know that my Mom has one that was pretty much right in the path of one of the 30+ reported Nebraska tornados last night! A high school near the cache was heavily damaged. Iowa has been hit horribly too.

I also know that some friends of mine went caching in the area today and had a hard time getting to one of my rural caches because of flooded roads and damage.

I've been checking out some of the nearby caches, but pictures of flooded woods are not necessarily that interesting to view.

Right now more sever storms are headed this way. Last time a tornado passed within two miles of my house. Close enough for my taste so I'll be glad when this is all over.