How did you hear about geocaching?

CacheMonkeez

I originally heard about this on WheresGeorge.com. I'd seen a couple of references to something called geo-caching (this was before they separated the geocached bills). Knowing what a map freak I am, I thought it sounded like way too much of a potential addiction so I resisted looking it up. Finally I did and... sure enough, my Georging hobby has mostly gone by the wayside in favor of a much healthier one.

quote:
Originally posted by blu-eyes:

A while back I had told my sister I wanted a GPS, and a few weeks later she sent me an article from the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper (July, 2001) about GeoCaching. I told my husband, and he gave me a GPS for our anniversary. He's not so interested in Geocaching, but doesn't mind me running all over.

Are there many Women who do this with out the spouse/boyfriend?

-blu-eyes-

blu-eyes [icon_smile.gif]

Yeah, actually I go on most cache hunts alone, with coworkers or, recently, with my kid brother. My husband likes the hike to the cache but he hates hates hates looking around once we get to the spot, and he even gets cranky about time spent looking through the cache, trading and signing the log. Mostly he tolerates caching as an excuse to take photos - which is why I'm going to try to interest him in the photo contest if it ends up happening.

I blundered onto geocaching from a link on gpsinformation.net. I just purchased a magellan platinum and I was doing some internet info searches on it... well, I said to my wife I just found something to do with my new toy. The rest is history. We're an outdoorsy family and this geocaching fits right into our lifestyle. We just lack more time to do it. Anyhow, every trip is an adventure.

gpstrekkers

Ever heard of the show called “Connections”? Well, it’s sort of like that for me, the connection was a Scout Show to Geocaching. But the tale isn’t as direct as one might think.

Our Cub Scout Pack was hosting both at the Scout Show last year and we needed a rubber stamp to stamp the boys “passports” as they completed the activity at the booths. Well I didn’t want to buy one, that’s not the true scouting way, so I searched the web on how to carve a stamp.

I searched the web and found a site by this gentleman who told how he carves rubber stamps but I still didn’t get clued in. I did how ever make a rather nice stamp for the show that no other pack would have.

A few weeks after the show I went back to the site to find out why this fellow did it and that led me to Letterboxing. Wow, something new to try out! But sadly there just weren’t that many letterboxes in the area and I didn’t know enough about them to place one.

This of course led me to Geocaching and discovering that there were many more caches in the area than letterboxes. But it wasn’t till this February when I got my GPS device that I was able to join in. I’m still young to the sport with twelve finds but I know that I will be doing this for some time to come.

The Friendly Wizard

Carrollton, Texas

Ya know its only been a little over a year since we started caching, but for the life of me I cannot recall exactly where I found out about it...

The only thing I can think of is that I was researching uses for a GPS (hey, I had to convince myself that I needed another one!) and came across geocaching.com through a Yahoo search. I know it was'nt long after that I bought the eTrex Venture, a floor model at Best Buy for $129-

Kar

Sugar Kane in answering your question - I am a single woman that has begun looking for caches with my parents. Dad bought a GPS and then read about Geocaching in the local newspaper. I had noticed the article also. Next thing I know I'm out with them searching. It's a blast. Now I just have to figure out which GPS I am going to purchase. Who knows maybe all of this searching may lead to a middle aged man who loves a good hike and adventure!

quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Kane:

I originally heard about this on WheresGeorge.com. I'd seen a couple of references to something called geo-caching (this was before they separated the geocached bills). Knowing what a map freak I am, I thought it sounded like way too much of a potential addiction so I resisted looking it up. Finally I did and... sure enough, my Georging hobby has mostly gone by the wayside in favor of a much healthier one.

quote:
Originally posted by blu-eyes:

A while back I had told my sister I wanted a GPS, and a few weeks later she sent me an article from the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper (July, 2001) about GeoCaching. I told my husband, and he gave me a GPS for our anniversary. He's not so interested in Geocaching, but doesn't mind me running all over.

Are there many Women who do this with out the spouse/boyfriend?

-blu-eyes-

blu-eyes [icon_smile.gif]

Yeah, actually I go on most cache hunts alone, with coworkers or, recently, with my kid brother. My husband likes the hike to the cache but he hates hates hates looking around once we get to the spot, and he even gets cranky about time spent looking through the cache, trading and signing the log. Mostly he tolerates caching as an excuse to take photos - which is why I'm going to try to interest him in the http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=90160556 if it ends up happening.

I found out about geocaching from a couple friend from another good bunch of people I hang out with at conventions. They are tech geeks like me and they had GPSrs and I was like whats that so they showed me their GPS's and also mentioned why they have them and said it was good exercises and get to use are neat tech gadget and computers to get outdoors, so about a week or two later I browsed over to "That Other Site" and it didn't look like a good site so I did not really get into geocaching at that time.

So a couple months ago I am talking to one of my other close friends and they also bring up geocaching so I was fired up again so I hit google and type in geocaching and first link was here (geocaching.com) so now a few months later I have a GPSr coming from OffRoute.com

I have all the gear I think I need from new boots to a new camelbak hydration pack, and a couple topos from USGS of my local area.

So far I haven't done it yet but I know I will enjoy it because I have always like the outdoors but had no reason to get outside because of my tech job.

---------

~Milamber

I have no signature to speak of. I am still working on one to put here.

You mean there's a club that does this?

No, really, I was bored at my mom and dad's, picked up an RV magazine (you either have to be bored or rich ... I'm not the second) and read an article about it. I've been doing it ever since. It gives me an excuse for making the kids get off their duff and away from the TV for a while ... and we all love it!

I came by Geocaching in a rather roundabout way. I was thinking about buying a small digital stills camera as a "take anywhere" when I didn't want to lug around my D30 digital SLR. I was looking at people's comments on the Canon S400 and found a guy that used one to take pictures during his 3 month stay in Antarctica - a fascinating write-up. Well he happened to mention that he had left a geocache in there and I wondered what it was. He included a link to this site and now I'm hooked!

Nigel

I heard about geocaching on WheresGeorge (they were talking about it as a bad way to release Georges into the wild) and I finally had to ask "What the Hell is Geocache?"

Now, I remember some ad on TV where the husband is walking around the house with a gps device, telling his wife where he is as he moves from the foyer to the kitchen. At the time, I thought, "who but a serious backpacker or Army Ranger would actually use one of those silly things?"

So, I heard about geocaching, and it struck a cord with me because I've recently begun creating and launching floating diaries (I start them, write an entry and leave it somewhere to be found, with instructions written inside.) Something about the randomness of it really appealed to me. I remember, when I was a young punk rocker, doing this weird pen pal thing where you'd mail all these little handmade pamphlets to one another. You'd add a bit to one page, include your address, and send it to someone... well, I ended up making lots of penpals and even meeting real friends from it!

So, when I looked up "Geocache" Yahoo pointed me here, and all I had to do was read about it and I got very excited.

That was yesterday. I ordered a Garmin eTrex from Amazon this morning.

I can't wait to get started!

BTW, this is a lovely site - and I've enjoyed getting two nifty urls off of this thread alone (fff.fathom.org and wilwheaton.net)

quote:
Originally posted by Dunedin:

I do a bit of metal detecting in my spare and decided to get a GPS with a view to plotting finds and locating sites. Whilst researching handheld GPS's, the internet led me here. When I open my stocking on xmas day to hopefully find an etrex venture, I think the metal detecting will have to wait a few months because I've got a list of caches that long lined up!

PS - lots of metal detectorists are talking about the uses of GPS, and as both hobbies are about treasure hunting, theres bound to be some crossover, probably both ways!

I also purchased my gpsr to use while detecting as I know many others have.I met one cacher yesterday that detects as well. the guy has the same gpsr and lives in the same town.how coincedental(is that how you spell that)is that!

don,t touch my dog there he doesn,t like it

I was reading an article not surewhich oneand they said they were into some obscure sport of which not many people were aware of called..geocaching...Hmm what the heck is geocaching?I do a search and lo and behold, now I have a real reaason to buy that gps i have always thought I should have..hmm walmart is open all night...I call yes they have one in stock to fit my budgeticon_smile.gif))the rest is history as they sayicon_smile.gif).

If I have to explain, You wouldnt understand..

I was reading an outdoor sporting magazine, when I first read about geocaching. I had already, though, recently purchased an eTrex Vista. So I accessed the web site, found my first cache, and have been hooked since. Besides, as I've heard others say, this goes a long way toward satisfying my passion for gagetry. Is there any way to filter out tick bites and poison ivy?

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

The topic of geocaching came up on a racing site I frequent. I had never heard of such a thing. But being the outdoors/adventure type I checked it out and got really interested. This was all about a year ago.

In May I borrowed my Dad'd eTrex, and had a ball out caching. Lately I've been trying to cache without a GPSer. I've been more successful than I thought I would, but I'm ready to move on to more challenges, and you can't hide a cache w/o one.

I bought an eTrex off eBay that should be here tomorrow

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune and the next week, I saw a new spot while in Denver on buisness. I then did a google search of geocaching" and a the best hobby I have ever had was born. This has done wonders working on the relationship with my son. The conversations we have while walking through the wilderness have really made my summer.

A friend of mine told me about this a few years ago. I never thought much about it or had a gps until a couple of months ago. I bought a new jeep rubicon and started going all over the mountains here in utah. I found a link or something and was reminded about it. The rest is history. Weekends are for jeeping/geocaching/bikin. I take my 85 year old father in law with me. He likes this too. He is still on his first childhood just like me.

biker mike

quote:
Originally posted by katybird:

I heard about geocaching on WheresGeorge (they were talking about it as a bad way to release Georges into the wild) and I finally had to ask "What the Hell is Geocache?"

I dunno.. I think it's a good way to release a dollar... You get a guarenteed hit, pretty much... Not only that, I know the first cache I went to was too full to hold anything else other than my dollar. The rest of the stuff I had with me wouldn't have fit unless I took five or six different things out of it.

quote:

So, I heard about geocaching, and it struck a cord with me because I've recently begun creating and launching floating diaries (I start them, write an entry and leave it somewhere to be found, with instructions written inside.)

Have you been to the 1000journals.com website? Cause that's what 'someguy' is doing on a global levil.

I was hiking on the Knobstone trail in southern In. and ran into a guy (quiddler) carrying a GPSr. We talked for about an hour before he said, "I have to go."

Curious as to why a wilderness hiker had to go, I asked.

The rest is history: He took me with him to the cache he was seeking, told me about travelbugs, virtuals, locationless caches, etc.

I found the cache in question, signed the log book, and became addicted to this wonderful sport.

============="If it feels good...do it"==============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

news:sci.geo.satellite-nav

I was one of the early ones to this web site, but that registration got lost during subsequent upgrades of the site. I seem to recall that we were still trying to come up with an official name for the sport at the time. The newsgroup was probably the first place on the Internet to promote GeoCaching.

Lone Duck

The Quack Cacher

http://www.netwalk.com/~jporter/BackPage.htm

I had a lot of points at a store and the only thing that looked good was a Garmin Etrek Legend.

So then got on the internet and searched around to find out how to use it,and came across

" geocaching.com ". Love it eh!

Close Enough, eh!

quote:
Originally posted by are.we.there.yet?:

A family friend asked a young woman to marry him using geocaching. The mass produced email sounded so interesting that I had to go to this website and check it out!

You know what? I really kind of like that idea... I think I'm going to keep it in mind. icon_smile.gif For me, there's not that much longer until I'll be ready to pop the question. icon_smile.gif

WOW. I read 15 or 20 responses and was suprised I didn't see one like mine. I was trail hopping at a local park on my lunchbreak and found a not-so-hidden cache. I wondered why there was a box of kids toys in the middle of the woods so I went to the website printed on the cache. I've only found 2 caches now but so far I'm hooked.

I actually put the plans together for a massive paintball game back in the late 90's, utilizing geocaching concepts to hide caches for the teams: paintballs, water and orange juice (it was a multi-day event), some prizes and other items to help get the teams what they might appreciate in the Central Oregon Desert during a long summer weekend.

We had plans to "mark" the caches with noise generators (an AM radio cranked off-station), UV glowsticks for night-time caches (easily sighted with night vision once you are in the general area), etc. All the team needed was the coordinates for their GPS systems, and someone to regularly monitor thungs so the caches didn't get passed by.

Some caches were going to be boobytrapped, just to keep the soldiers on their toes.

I wish we could have done more with it, but the game never got off the ground. icon_frown.gif

Maybe the time is right to start digging up the stuff again........

I was reading a friends weblog and they had a link to WWDN (wilwheaton.net). Wil Wheaton is a sporatic geocacher and he has a discussion group devoted to it. I had never heard the word geocaching before, and peeped into the threads to see what it was. There were lots of newbie questions and I found a link to this site. A week later (like most of us) I had my Vista and my first cache.

I am an addicted geek.

Geeze I was about to respond to this thread but then it was seeming kinda familiar and then I realized I responded in it 6 weeks ago.

Well, I'll say it again for the newer folks, I heard about it on the drive to work while listening to NPR. In the news about Geocaching section of the site they have a link to an mp3 of the article.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."