Cold Or Warm Weather Caching???

Squealy

So I went out today and found three fairly easy caches and replaced one of the first caches on Long Island.

Though it wasn't too hot, it was a bit humid, I was getting pelted in the face by a ton of bugs and I found myself getting thoroughly annoyed at running into spider's webs.

I found that I had a yearning for WINTER - sure, it sucks when you can't feel your fingers and wear shorts but it seems to definitely have its advantages.

So...

Which do you prefer??????

Depends.

In the summer, when I'm swatting black flies, flicking off ticks, and pulling thorns outta places that should NEVER have thorns in them, I prefer winter caching.

In the winter, when I can no longer feel my extremities, my feet are encased in ice, and every cache is buried under a foot of snow, I wanna be summer caching.

Edited by Mopar

Having not really cached during the true summer months yet, I'll have to say there are +- about both.

- Man I HATE bugs! Breathing control to avoid inhaling no-seeums. Two Tick bites in the last two weeks. Dozens brushed off before they got the chance. Limited sight distance due to the green things hanging off those tall wooden things. Sun burn, sweat. So much extra water to carry.

+So many more hours of daylite. Caches not frozen in place. So many more new caches being placed. Kayak caches available. So many fewer layers of clothing to wash.

- Dang it's cold. I gotta take off my gloves to sign the log! Knee deep snow. Pens frozen. Slip fall. Gotta pack energy food.

+ I can find the cache by following footprints :blink: I can see forever. Night caching requires much less light due to snow lighting up the world. Muggles are in hiding. Lakes become paths.

Then, there are the few sweet weeks in between.

No leaves no bugs no cold no muggles. :lol:

So I went out today and found three fairly easy caches and replaced one of the first caches on Long Island.

Though it wasn't too hot, it was a bit humid, I was getting pelted in the face by a ton of bugs and I found myself getting thoroughly annoyed at running into spider's webs.

I found that I had a yearning for WINTER - sure, it sucks when you can't feel your fingers and wear shorts but it seems to definitely have its advantages.

So...

Which do you prefer??????

I vote for the colder half of the year, the bugs just aren't impressed with any kind of bug spray. And those inch worm webs are like fishing line across your face. :blink:

Well, considering that both is giving us line after line of tornado producing storms and heavy flooding, I would prefer one or the other.

Given a choice, I pick that season between late winter and early spring when the temps are up, the snow melts and there are no plants or tree leaves.

Time to go back to Benchmark hunting.

Yeah The webs really get on my nerves, but the heat doesn't bother me too much. Even the ticks don't phase me all that much, I've gotten used to them. The mosquitoes suck big time though.

The winter isn't bad as long as your dressed correctly. Sometime super easy cache become near impossible with a foot of snow on the ground though. And then even when you do find them, sometime you need to hack through 10 inches of ice with a k-bar to get to it. Neil knows what I'm talking about.

Hmmmm.... I like caching in the Autumn or spring the best.

Mmmm... I prefer Fall and Spring over Summer and Winter, but Winter would win out.

That whole bug thing really ‘ticks’ me off during the summer. And I still have scars on my legs from last summers caching in thorns.

But caching in Florida wasn’t so bad when it was warm… :blink:

Looking like this after today's 2 mile walk uphill to a cache? What do you think?

2ceb0618-ad12-4526-ae06-bae6f16c53ce.jpg

Even Skigirl, who is in 10 times the shape I'm in was dripping. It ain't the heat, its the humidity!

I'd love to submit that picture to "you make up the quote".

At least you look like you're enjoying yourself, right???? B)

At least you look like you're enjoying yourself, right????  B)

I was going to ask if there was supposed to be a strap around the waist B)

What Squealy posted is exactly what I would have said. Today the bugs and webs were killing me. At least with DEET, I don't think they were biting.

And like Brian, I completely soaked through a shirt (as I did yesterday too). The humidity was tough the past 2 days.

For me... Spring and Autumn are the best, though technically it is still Spring. Didn't do any caching over the winter but maybe I'll try it this year. Usually we're busy with skiing.

I definitely prefer winter caching. After this weekend of geocaching, and only finding 5 geocaches, I probably have 12-15 misquito bites per cache AND I WAS WEARING BUG SPRAY. It wasn't any cheap bug spray either. At least in the winter you can come home and warm up! Also, in the winter, I'm all bundled up in a coat and gloves, but in the summer it's too hot for anything but shorts and a tee-shirt. I've gotten more geo-injuries in the past month than I did for all the wintery months since I've started. Even with all these downsides, geocaching in any weather is good for me!

I prefer spring/fall caching mostly, however I can't be too picky. Anytime I can get out caching is fun for me, but I do agree that there is nothing better than caching in the cooler, bug free weather!

I agree with Brian, the heat is tolerable, but the humidity makes it gross. I also dehydrate easily, so Im hoping this Camelbak I finally sprung for will eliminate my discomforts in such conditions.

To live where it is 65-75° year round, sunny, with little to no humidty is a dream for me. B)

Kar of TS!!

Edited by Team Shibby
To live where it is 65-75° year round, sunny, with little to no humidty is a dream for me.

That would be so boooooring. Shoveling my car out after a winter snowstorm (and skiing, snowshoeing and winter hiking) and sweating on a sweltering summer day (and enjoying a cold beer after a softball game, or hike) make life more interesting and you appreciate the beautiful spring and fall days all the more.

hot and humid -- no

hot and dry -- yes

cold and rainy -- no

cold and crisp -- yes

cold and snow -- yes and no. Great hiking, difficulty finding

And I agree, a change in seasons is by far moe desirable than a constant weather, minth in, month out.

My find rate was much higher in winter, because wife and kids were staying at home and I could go solo hiking almost every weekend. With the warm weather there are more activities to do on weekends, I have almost switched to weekday caching.

Time to move to some colder climate, where you can get some snow in May if you are lucky.

That would be so boooooring. Shoveling my car out after a winter snowstorm (and skiing, snowshoeing and winter hiking) and sweating on a sweltering summer day (and enjoying a cold beer after a softball game, or hike) make life more interesting and you appreciate the beautiful spring and fall days all the more.

When was the last time you went to Northern California. Wine Country -

45 minutes from the beach

1 1/2 from the mountains (real mountains!)

Wine everywhere!!!

The seasons don't change but you can move about to take advantage of all kinds of terrain and weather!!! B)

Hi,

Going out this morning to find a few caches I've been wanting to try for a while, I noticed that it was snowing! May 29th and snowing! The snow accumulated on my deck while I ate a quick breakfast, and stopped as I strapped my solo canoe onto the roof of my jeep. :(

nfa

WINTER--> FOR SURE....BORN IN JANUARY IN A SNOW STORM OF 1977, FIRST JOB WAS IN FROZEN FOOD IN SUPERMARKET, LOVE TO SNOWBOARD, SLEEP IN WINTER WITH THE WINDOW OPEN A CRACK. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.

SUMMER--> CANT STAND B U G S!!!!! THEY ONLY THING GOOD ABOUT CACHING IN SUMMER IS SWEATING THE FAT OFF MY BODY IS GOOD FOR LOOSING WEIGHT!

FALL--> TOO MANY LEAVES, BUT WINTER IS ON THE WAY. HALLOWEEN IS NEAR AND CACHING WHEN EVENING APPROACHES BY YOURSELF WITH THE WIND WHISTLING IN YOUR EAR IS SPOOKY!!

SPRING--> GET AS MANY CACHES IN BEFORE THE TICS COME OUT!

I just started caching at the end of March of this year, and at that time, I thought to myself, "This will really be fun when it warms up this summer. I'm going to want to go caching all the time!"

Fast forward to May.

~Soooo much undergrowth in the woods that wasn't there in March/April, making some caches nearly impossible to spot

~LOTS of mosquitos

~Leaves on the trees play havoc with my GPS

~POISON IVY (Yep, got it as I write :) )

I think I like caching in April (in Ohio) the best. (So far.)