GPS Suggestions?

TripleMCachers

I just signed up and we don't even have a GPS. I found this site after a trip to Tunica where I was suprised to find it had changed in the last 10 years. Ended up at Clark Creek??? I mean, the waterfalls were there, but I don't remember it being called that. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Anyhow...I'm hooked on this whole GeoCaching idea.

Can someone recommend a good/affordable GPS system for us?

Holly (That's Me), Nathan, Morgan, Madison and Max

The Mag 315 is a good starter unit, so is the Yellow Etrex. I bought the 315 to hold me over till the Rino 120s show up (maybe in July) check out the Garmin web site or the Magellons they have all their GPS models there. The prices goes up with the bells and whistles...I preordered the Rino 120 from TVNav.com, I suspect the Rinos will spawn new GPS fun....

That's funny,

I was just at Clark Creek a couple days ago for the first time... then the next day a friend of my told me about the place as a suggestion of somewhere neat to go... and now you mention it.

Anyway... I won't get into which GPS to buy. You really can't go wrong with any of 'em.

Jamie

I've used a Magellan 315 for my first 100 caches. The only advise I'd give you on a purchase is just don't get the lowest priced unit. The Magellan 310 is vitually worthless in my book and only about 10-15 dollars cheaper than the 315. If you purchase the 315 make certain it has the newest operating system which is the 3.15. I had the 3.07 and while it worked it was a pain in the butt.

If it comes with the 3.07 you'll need to update which is free.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Changing this post as I noticed upon reading more that the Magellan 320 is more geared for Nautical Expiditions....

I'm looking very seriously at the MAP 330. It seems to have everything the GPS 315 has, with the mapping capabilities.

(Still welcoming any input that we can get!)

Holly, Nathan, Morgan, Madison and Max

[This message was edited by TripleMCachers on June 01, 2002 at 01:56 PM.]

There are so many different preferences from one kind of GPSr to another. I personally like the Garmin eTrex. It is simple to operate, small, water resistant and (at the time I bought it) priced right. If you know of anyone who has one, ask them to show you how it works. Some are easier to use than others. Good luck and welcome to the "hunt".

phantom KB5YUE

"Free your mind" - The Matrix

Target had an ad today for the Etrex line with prices ranging from $119 - $249. You might do better online but if you are up for instant gratification and have a Target store these aren't bad prices!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!