I Can't Remove The Batteries From My Sportrack Pro

When I want to remove the compartment of batteries from my Sportrack Pro unscrewing it the only thing that i remove is the screw.

I just solved the problem of the stress cracks and i get this new problem of this new returned GPSr. Magellan will think that i am a units destroyer. I had the last Sportrack for 10 month and it had not this problem.

Somebody has had this problem? Can you help me? I cannot remove the batteries!

Edited by garri

The Screw should not detach from the battery cover, but should have been attached well enough to POP the lid off the GPS. A Sportrak Color or a MeriPlat or MeriGold would be better. The cover attaches funny on the Meridians, but is easier to pop off and put back on using both hands on the Meridian's battery cover. The Meridians are a better choice, but with rough use, may loose some of their waterproofness if dunked in the water while in a boat.

Edited: changed MeriColor to MeriGold.

Edited by GOT GPS?

If someone opens my unit to open the lid then strees cracks will grew another time.

I need to forgot this 380€ stupid unit, burn it and throwing it to the trash and upgrade to a Garmin 60CS.

If anyone has a better idea i would like to know

If it came that way after coming back from magellnag, call them and tell them about it. Also make them send you a new unit before you send in yours, and have them pay for the shipping to send your old unit to them (I had them do this once for me-I recieved a repaired meridian that did not look the SD card in place). I think Brain Oliver is head of tech support, you may want to ask for him if the tech you speak to does not allow that.

Wyatt W.

If someone opens my unit to open the lid then strees cracks will grew another time.

I need to forgot this 380€ stupid unit, burn it and throwing it to the trash and upgrade to a Garmin 60CS.

If anyone has a better idea i would like to know

Call "thalesnavigation" replace the broken one for free...talk to somebody...don't give in...

then sell it ....and buy a 60c/s

Sorry you are having such a time! But Magellan will take care of you! Also, there is a diameter difference in batteries. In my occupation I use laboratory and field equipment with very close tolerences in the fitting of the cases. Rechargeable batteries are often fatter, and sometimes the foil wrapper must be removed to trim down the size just enough for the battery to fit in the case. I am not sure at all this is your problem, but it might be. I don't have that trouble with my SporTrak Pro but I think that my rechargeables happen to be slimmer than some others.

eTrexes and SporTraks are a big prob, just NOT rugged enough, but some people can get alot of use out of a little yellow eTrex, dont know how they do, since ive had problems with mine.

I do like the Meridians and the 60C/CS.

Out of all the Magelllans and Garmins ive ever used, which is alot of them, none have ever worked as well as my GPS 60C that I have, it is really something, works really well, works very smooth and fast, especially with the autorouting. Works so well, that it makes my GPS Vs seem like nothing.

Get either the MeriGold or 60C

If you have more money, get the Platinum or 60CS

If you even have more money, you can get a Meridian Color, with it's potentually Unlimited Memory, but there are times when the display can be hard to read, especially if the batteries are low, and you cant have the backlight on Bright.

With these GPS units, it's best to just keep WAAS turned OFF, so that the GPS unit can perform less sluggishly. With the Meridian Platinum, turn off WAAS, and put map detail to normal, and not high, then it will get you to cache without slingshot effect, as long as there are not the Large ANGRY trees standing over you.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I would never describe my eTrex as not rugged. I have a Vista and have on more then one occasion dropped it on concrete and just recently I had it sitting on the dash and forgot about it. When I rounded a corner hard it shot through the air and hit the A-pillar with a very loud crack like someone hitting a home run. I picked it up and it was still running with no visible damage.

I'm typically overly cautious with my electronics especially ones as costly as this one but because of my experience with it camping/backpacking I've gotten somewhat careless as it I can't seem to hurt it.

Edited by MacBandit

I am from Spain, I had a lot of problems to let "tech support" know that the stress cracks was a well know problem in Magellan USA, they thought that I was the culprit and returned me another sportrack pro with stress cracks.

Now i have this issue. Do you guess what they will say?

I would like to pay for send my unit to the real Magellan USA, but I think i can't ask for a RMA.

eTrexes and SporTraks are a big prob, just NOT rugged enough, but some people can get alot of use out of a little yellow eTrex, dont know how they do, since ive had problems with mine.

I do like the Meridians and the 60C/CS.

Out of all the Magelllans and Garmins ive ever used, which is alot of them, none have ever worked as well as my GPS 60C that I have, it is really something, works really well, works very smooth and fast, especially with the autorouting. Works so well, that it makes my GPS Vs seem like nothing.

Get either the MeriGold or 60C

If you have more money, get the Platinum or 60CS

If you even have more money, you can get a Meridian Color, with it's potentually Unlimited Memory, but there are times when the display can be hard to read, especially if the batteries are low, and you cant have the backlight on Bright.

With these GPS units, it's best to just keep WAAS turned OFF, so that the GPS unit can perform less sluggishly. With the Meridian Platinum, turn off WAAS, and put map detail to normal, and not high, then it will get you to cache without slingshot effect, as long as there are not the Large ANGRY trees standing over you.

I like the etrex line because they are rugged. ;) The 60c has only been out for what a month or so? How do we know how rugged they will be?