Which Gps Is Cheapest But Still Good For Geocachin

I agree the Yellow etrex will work fine but if you want to step up to mapping skip the Venture and go with the Legend. The Venture only allows you to load points of interest which in my opinion are kind of useless. You can get a legend from various places on the net for around $150. :huh:

The Yellow Etrex is good,but the PC data cable costs a extra $30.

The Legend has more useful features and $150 includes a data cable.

Later you can buy Metroguide map software and upload detailed maps to

the Legend.The Legend is much easier to rename waypoints and the feature

to 'relocate the waypoint' is priceless for making a waypoint named 'car' and

quickly get fresh coords every time you leave the car.The Legend's 'favorite' catagory

is also great for frequently used waypoints,such as car.

Seatrout

Edited by SeaTrout
The Yellow Etrex is good,but the PC data cable costs a extra $30.

The Legend has more useful features and $150 includes a data cable.

Well, the Legend has more features, we'll give you that much. It could easily be argued that they're not USEFUL features, though. Screen size, lack of routing, and black and white display make the maps all but useless.......and the other features aren't much better. If I had it to do over again, I definately wouldn't have wasted money on a Vista, I'd have gotten a yellow.

Oh, and that $30 cable can be picked up on Ebay for $15, or if you're even semi adept at such things, made yourself for probably less than $5.........

Garmin eTrex (yellow) $96.88 at WalMart.com (see link below). I still have mine along with a GPSMAP 76s AND 76cs. For a basic GPS you cannot beat it. I suggest buying the data cable, will save you time typing in waypoints.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp...3A55315%3A55316

The next step depends upon how you want to use it. My next GPSr was the Garmin GPSMAP 76s ~$310.00 at gpscity.com (see link below), mapping was very useful. I have used it for driving as much as for Geocaching. You will need to buy the MetroGuide for the mapping.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap76s.htm

My latest GPSr is the Garmin 76cs ~$460.00 at gpscity.com (see link below). Got it for faster CPU, more memory, and auto routing. Need to purchase CitySelect to use auto routing.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap76CS.htm

Edited by m2orris