Convert Tracks - Gps 12 > Gps V - Waypoint+ > Pcx5

ppro

I finally decided to update my gear somewhat. I have two GPS 12's that have served me very well. Decided to try a Garmin V. I like the autoroute feature. I discovered that I cannot directly load tracks saved from my GPS 12 using Waypoint+ to my Garmin V!?!?!

Not really too surprised but I have many tracks that I want to use with the Garmin V. I think what I need to do is convert them from Waypoint+ format to PCX5 format before I can upload them. I am guessing this has already been done before... Did the search, didn't find anything.

Is there anybody out there who can point me in the right direction from their own personal experience?

Thanks!

GPS TrackMaker can open Waypoint + files and then save them as PCX5 files.

It's one of my favorite programs. Works great and is free!

http://www.gpstm.com/

This looks great! Thanks very much. I found my next problem last night working with GPS Utility. It does convert (text export version) Waypoint+ and allows saving to PCX5. Then loading to the Garmin V I discover the track gets broken into 250 point segments... and some segments got truncated because there were more than 250 points... This tool allows me to reduce the number of points in the track.

I am very grateful for the advice. A little frustrated that Garmin changed the track support in favor of something that seems at first to me to be a step backward. I foolishly hoped they'd increase the number of allowable track points from 1024 (GPS 12) to something that would give me greater track size, but not by breaking it up into 250-piece segments... It would have been nice to see an option to either store the 10 segments or one large segment. DOH!

It seems for my purposes, my original idea to run two GPS 12's on the trail (to get twice the track log and waypoint capacity wasn't so dumb after all. The GPS V is a great "road" GPS but I am starting to have my doubts about it as a "trail" GPS... Maybe I need to play with it some more?