60c/s Lanyard Mount

Ok, I'm not usually such a dimwit, but I pulled a boner with my 60CS by attaching the lanyard to that rubber webbing thing on the top of the unit going between the antenna and the top of the unit case. "Gee," I thought, "seems like a flemsy place to mount a lanyard, but maybe it is reinfoced with a cord inside."

No, it isn't.

Everything was fine for a couple of months until I snagged a branch with the GPS while on my mountain bike. I didn't even notice the real connection point next to the USB connector until I called Garmin.

WARNING: don't attach the lanyard to the black rubber webbing thing on the antenna.

QUESTION 1: If the thing is only cosmetic, why would they leave the hole? It is a very tempting place to attach the lanyard especially since it allows the unit to hang vertically, unlike the official mount.

QUESTION 2: Now that I have a cosmetic flaw on my unit, what's the chances I would break the water seal if I used a razor blade to cut the thing away?

QUESTION 3: Anyone try attaching the lanyard underneath the belt clip post so that it hangs vertically? I use a neck lanyard sometimes, so it would be nice to keep the antenna in its optimal orientation.

#1: Why Garmin didn't add the lanyard hole to the Rinos like they did to the 60c is still a mystery to me. I have the lanyard on my Rino hooked up the same way you did to your 60c. And if I hadn't looked at the 60c's manual, I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole made especially for the lanyard.

#2: Exactly how was the unit damaged? Is there any other reason to believe the water seal was damaged? I don't think cutting away the 'bridge' on the antenea will compromise its water seal (although it should be done with a good amount of care).

#3: I think that the supplied lanyard hole will work just fine for wearing the unit around your neck. I haven't worn it that way, and the 60c may lean forward a bit when resting on your chest, but it should remain vertical.

Edited by wxboss
Ok, I'm not usually such a dimwit, but I pulled a boner with my 60CS by attaching the lanyard to that rubber webbing thing on the top of the unit going between the antenna and the top of the unit case. "Gee," I thought, "seems like a flemsy place to mount a lanyard, but maybe it is reinfoced with a cord inside."

No, it isn't.

Everything was fine for a couple of months until I snagged a branch with the GPS while on my mountain bike. I didn't even notice the real connection point next to the USB connector until I called Garmin.

WARNING: don't attach the lanyard to the black rubber webbing thing on the antenna.

QUESTION 1: If the thing is only cosmetic, why would they leave the hole? It is a very tempting place to attach the lanyard especially since it allows the unit to hang vertically, unlike the official mount.

QUESTION 2: Now that I have a cosmetic flaw on my unit, what's the chances I would break the water seal if I used a razor blade to cut the thing away?

QUESTION 3: Anyone try attaching the lanyard underneath the belt clip post so that it hangs vertically? I use a neck lanyard sometimes, so it would be nice to keep the antenna in its optimal orientation.

The problem you might run into is that were you to cut away the piece..you might cut into a "hollow section" and then create an opening into the unit. Probably best to just return the unit for repair....or grind/cut away and if you don't create an opening , use it the way it is. If you do make an opening into the unit, I would return it for repair.

No, it isn't.

MY Take--

If you are not bright enough to figure out where to attach the lanyard....I highly doubt your bright enough to take a razor blade to the rubber.

Sorry to put it bluntly :huh:

MY Take--

If you are not bright enough to figure out where to attach the lanyard....I highly doubt your bright enough to take a razor blade to the rubber.

Sorry to put it bluntly  :D

Hey Kitch, it sounds like you are still smarting from that race that your avatar lost to my avatar. :huh:

I am not sure if this will work bou could you just attache the lanyard to the lanyard string that allready comes with the 60cs? It may be a little clumsy but it will work.

Yep, that's the way I did it and it works ok. Actually strung it through the little loop right at the crimp.

You are not alone. When I first received the unit and RAM Mounts were not yet available, I used this hole to tie the unit down with my 76s Mount. Right next to the antenna I cut the rubber piece half way through.

I used some glue from an outdoor store that is used to fix rubber materials like: diving suits, boats, tubes ...

Takes 24h to dry.

This worked quite well for me. Actually that well that used it afterwards with my lanyard :huh: I wouldn't cut it off.