Geocaching On Csi

Sorry if this has been discussed, but you can't search for "csi" on the forums - it's less than 4 letters.

Did you see the "geocaching" portion of CSI last night? They were chasing down a E911 equipped cell phone using a Meridian Color (a good trick). I got a good laugh as the character holding the GPS yelled "100 feet... 80 feet.... 30 feet...!" Of course the cell phone was right at 0 feet.

They found a dead body and took it, but I didn't see them leave anything in exchange. :huh:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but you can't search for "csi" on the forums - it's less than 4 letters.

Did you see the "geocaching" portion of CSI last night? They were chasing down a E911 equipped cell phone using a Meridian Color (a good trick). I got a good laugh as the character holding the GPS yelled "100 feet... 80 feet.... 30 feet...!" Of course the cell phone was right at 0 feet.

They found a dead body and took it, but I didn't see them leave anything in exchange. :D

Yeah...I laughed at that too... :D

That and...can they do that? I mean...downlink to the GPSr like that? The GPS enabled cell phone was moving and he was still able to track it...those Meridians are something... :huh:

They found a dead body and took it, but I didn't see them leave anything in exchange. :huh:

Forgive me for asking, but what is CSI? As you can probably tell, I don't watch much TV.

They found a dead body and took it, but I didn't see them leave anything in exchange.  :huh:

Yes it was more than a little "Hollywood" with the GPSr tracking a GPS chip equipped cell phone in real time but still better then the last episode of 24 where they were tracking a GPS device on a subway train :D I'd love to have the antenna from that receiver.

Edited by PDOP's

They found a dead body and took it, but I didn't see them leave anything in exchange.  :huh:

Forgive me for asking, but what is CSI? As you can probably tell, I don't watch much TV.

CSI is a TV show that's pretty popular right now. Stands for Crime Scene Investigation. Basically, it's a drama that shows investigators playing with real high-tech toys that I dought any "normal" police investigators would have.

Can't "diss" the show as I've watched it a couple of times with the wife (you know, the "if I watch her TV shows with her, she'll be happy that I'm interested in things she likes, instead of NASCAR and Most Extreme Elimination..." thing) and it was pretty interesting. :D

Brad

Yes it was more than a little "Hollywood" with the GPSr tracking a GPS chip equipped cell phone in real time but still better then the last episode of 24 where they were tracking a GPS device on a subway train  :huh:  I'd love to have the antenna from that receiver.

I saw that on 24 too. I figured it was the new High-Gain Nuclear Powered Garmin 5000 GPS device. Pretty awesome they way you could track that device through a few hundred feet of concrete, dirt, asphalt and steel cabling. (Note: my tongue is firmly in my cheek!)

I really like 24 a lot but that sort of blew me and my wife away when we saw it.

It's a hit drama (Top 10) about crime scene investigation. I used to not like it, but I've warmed up to it and watch it every so often now.

I always get a good laugh because I work with a lot of the scientific instruments and equipment shown on the show, and obviously they are as Hollywoodized as the GPS thing they showed last night. My wife goes and watches it in the other room now because she's sick of hearing me critique the actor's techniques.

I wonder if they got some $$ from Magellan for product placement. They showed both a Road Mate and a Meri Color last night.

Yes it was more than a little "Hollywood" with the GPSr tracking a GPS chip equipped cell phone in real time but still better then the last episode of 24 where they were tracking a GPS device on a subway train :huh: I'd love to have the antenna from that receiver.

Yeah, that was pretty bone-headded of them. 24 is the only show that I plan to watch each week, and I guess I can forgive them.

Yes it was more than a little "Hollywood" with the GPSr tracking a GPS chip equipped cell phone in real time but still better then the last episode of 24 where they were tracking a GPS device on a subway train  :D  I'd love to have the antenna from that receiver.

I saw that on 24 too. I figured it was the new High-Gain Nuclear Powered Garmin 5000 GPS device. Pretty awesome they way you could track that device through a few hundred feet of concrete, dirt, asphalt and steel cabling. (Note: my tongue is firmly in my cheek!)

I really like 24 a lot but that sort of blew me and my wife away when we saw it.

Gotta love 24 with all those Palms and Slates with direct Satelite Imagry feeds. :D Gotta have one. :huh:

There has been 'geocaching' quite often in Alias too. They e.g. use GPSrs near the San Andreas fault to find a buried(!) box, which contains a severed hand(!!!). Talk about trade items... :blink:

Often they also show coordinates on screen too so you can check where they actually point to.

Original TV show, as described by others, set in Las Vegas: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247082/

[This is the one which had an episode that is being discussed here.]

There are two spinoffs.

CSI: Miami  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313043/

CSI: New York  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395843/

[As of this writing, no episodes of CSI: New York have yet been aired.  This

show is to begin next season.  A recently-aired CSI: Miami episode provided

a “crossover” to the new CSI: New York series, introducing the main cast and

setting it up.  A similar “crossover” episode of the orginal CSI series was similarly

used to set the stage for CSI: Miami a few years ago.  That episode was based on

one of the more blatant misfacts I've ever seen.  A person suffering from diabetic

ketoacidosis is in no condition to be going on a cross-country crime spree.]

As someone who works in a scientific laboratory, I won't even touch how far they stretch some of their lab tests (our GCMS takes ~1 hour to run - theirs about 1 minute).

However, what I really think is funny is when a CSI person goes and interrogates a suspect. I'm not in law enforcement, but I have to believe this isn't done in the real world.