17 Yr. Cicadas

Ericache

I saw "Full swarms" emerging in Green Lane park, Montgomery Co., PA (southeast PA) last weekend. Has anyone else noticed an emergence in their area? I live only a few miles away and have none at my house (Yet)! Seeing those dadgum things brought back horrible childhood memories of getting them stuck in my hair, etc. :huh:

I haven't seen them in the Princeton area yet, although I am anxiously waiting, and the NY Times had a article stating they are out!

We did run into plenty of the little buggers in Virginia last weekend, we things seem to be a week a head of us.

I saw "Full swarms" emerging in Green Lane park, Montgomery Co., PA (southeast PA) last weekend. Has anyone else noticed an emergence in their area? I live only a few miles away and have none at my house (Yet)! Seeing those dadgum things brought back horrible childhood memories of getting them stuck in my hair, etc. :huh:

I live right down the road from you (near the Turnpike entrance at Lansdale) and they haven't made an appearance near me! Yet... :D

I'm not sure what the deal is with the cicadas, but here (Pittsburgh) it seems like every year there are some. It doesn't seem to make a difference what year it is - i.e. there's not one year where there seem to be more. Is that a different breed? I was in Cumberland, Md yesterday and there were a ton of them. They look the same so I'm wondering if to the east there's a brood that is particularly large on a 17 year cycle that we don't get in this area.

Well I haven't seen any yet here in South Jersey, but last weekend when I was down in MD doing some caching with my best friend, we ran into a bunch... she didn't much care for them, so we ended up doing some urban caching instead. They really didn't bother me all that much, but that was probably since they weren't really all that active yet.

I heard that they can be a real pain when you mow your lawn, since they are attracted to the humming that the mower makes. Glad I don't have a lawn to mow! LOL :blink:

Someone around here might remember The Pheromones do this ditty a cappella on the Vince Scelsa show back in 1991.

Cicada Serenade

(In a rap style)

They got big orange eyes that can barely focus.

Some folks call them 17 year locust.

But that's the wrong data,

The name is cicada,

And they're here now but they won't be here later.

They got 4 wings but ain't supposed to fly

Just come out the ground, have sex and die.

I can dig their ridge, I like their style,

They may go quick, but they go with a smile.

Check it out, Cicada serenade,

Check it out, Cicada serenade,

There's Cicadas on the sidewalk, cicadas on the ground

Place look like a little tiny Jones Town,

I always hate to see a thing go to waste,

And was wondering how a cicada might taste.

Cicada, Potata, They sound the same,

To let 'em go to waste would be a crying shame.

So I got a couple of hundred of 'em, took 'em in side,

Got some catsup and ate 'em french fried.

I ate every one with out hesitatin

Next thing you know I'm halucinatin

Freaking out, Cicada serenade

Freaking out, Cicada serenade

I was out of my mind, my head was in a fog

Next thing you know I'm sick as a dog.

My friends came over they said "lets get high"

I said "no way" and they said "by-by"

I don't need no lovely, no reefer, no cocaine

Cause I still have cicadas buzzing round in my brain.

So eat your cicadas with every snack,

They can also help you say no to crack!

Bugs, not drugs.

Edited by ekitt10

Looks like there won't be a visit of the 17 year cicadas in West Virginia unless you live in the Eastern Panhandle. And I was so looking forward to their 'lovely' serenade too!! B) I have this information from our friendly geocaching entomoogist - bluet. Thanks for the info bluet. Guess I'll have to go East or North to see some this time around.

Brood X free WV!

I saw "Full swarms" emerging in Green Lane park, Montgomery Co., PA (southeast PA) last weekend.

Hey Eric....Last time those little bugger were out,(17 years ago) I was working as a lifeguard at the Montgomery County park in Green Lane....(Upper Perk is my hometown)Oh it was terrible working every day in that mess of bugs and noise.

I now live in the Endless Mountains in Sullivan County...so far no cicadas around here.

Well, yesterday was the first I noticed them, but they're DEFINATELY out in full force in central PA. I was driving down the road yesterday, and today, between 40 and 55 MPH depending on where I was, with the window just open an inch, and I could hear them over the road noise, and wind noise....... One place I stopped, along a river, a partially wooded area, there were tons of them.

Sorry for the intrusion, Nor-Eastern people :-)

I was just doing a check to see if anyone had posted a topic on the cicadas. Yeah, they're here in Illinois and Indiana too. When I first heard them the other day I thought there was some equipment problem at the airfield down the road, but then I realized it was a different kind of bug.

Always makes me a tad nastalgic. Where was I 17 years ago? How old will my kids be next time...er...grandkids? <_<

Bret

I went caching in fair Hill, MD on Friday and was amazed. it sounded like a thousand car alarms going off. I hadn't heard any until then. There was a cicada every few feet on the grasses and in the woods the ground was littered with them. It was a real experience, especially when they fly along and hit you in the head. I had one land on the back of my hat and the little sucker was screaming at me as I was trying to get him off. :rolleyes: