Can You Autoroute On Your 60c/cs With Mg5 I Can.

I got my new 60cs yesterday. I updated to 3.3 and since City Select is not here I started goofing arround with MG5. I was stunned to see it autoroute right on the unit. So much so that I did a couple of more itmes. I then went outside and took it out of demo mode to make sure it still worked and it does. I picked two odd ball address that would no way be in the basemap and it routed me "door to door".

I wish I had know this before I spent the money on CS5. If you have a copy of MG 5 and a 60C/CS or even a 76C/CS give it a try. Lets see if we can figure out why it works on some and not some others. Maybe we can save someone else a few bucks. :huh:

Quotes from Garmin's web site

City Select®

City Select provides detailed maps of major metro areas as well as rural coverage. Each CD also contains points of interest and automatic routing, giving you the capability to generate point-to-point routes in MapSource and on compatible Garmin units.The CD is included with the purchase of several Garmin units, including the GPS V and iQue 3600. It is also recommended for use with the GPSMAP 196 and GPSMAP 60C/60CS.

MetroGuide®

This CD offers similar coverage as City Select, including points of interest. MetroGuide U.S.A. and Europe provide automatic route calculation for select products on the PC, while MetroGuide Canada offers autorouting on both the PC and compatible Garmin units. The main difference is its compatibility with Garmin units that do not have automatic route capability, such as the eTrex® Legend, eTrex Vista, GPSMAP 76/76S, GPSMAP 176, Rino® 120 and Rino 130.

(bolding mine)

I suspect that you are defining the route in MetroGuide and downloading that to the GPS? If that's so, the MetroGuide software is performing the autorouting, and downloading a route to you 60CS. Then again, maybe it is downloading an autoroutable map to your 60CS since the two products are so similar(so sayeth Garmin).

This is, of course, just a guess, but could explain the apparent autorouting.

I know your thinking "stupid user" but that is just not the case. The route was not made on the pc. I used MG 5 to to pick two really obscure residential address that would not be on the base map. I down loaded the way points and map to the 60cs and made the route on the unit. It routed right to the address not just the town using the base map.

It was hee haw hell in Ohio. Who in there right mind would but that in to the base map. :huh:

Edited by woody@fly-bench.com
I know your thinking "stupid user" but that is just not the case. The route was not made on the pc. I used MG 5 to to pick two really obscure residential address that would not be on the base map. I down loaded the way points and map to the 60cs and made the route on the unit. It routed right to the address not just the town using the base map.

It was hee haw hell in Ohio. Who in there right mind would but that in to the base map. :huh:

Try the routes out in the real world. What I've heard posted in the past is that it seems to route ok but when you take it out and try to use it to route it's not quite right.

Maybe you will get lucky.